The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 May 2021, 05:12 AM   #1
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Oyster Quartz history

Just found this quite interesting video with some info on Rolex history with the OQ:

https://youtu.be/JW00IfN1M_o
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 09:53 AM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Just found this quite interesting video with some info on Rolex history with the OQ:

https://youtu.be/JW00IfN1M_o
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Love how the guy pronouncies "Qvartz."

Just realized my OQ battery has died...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:42 AM   #3
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Love how the guy pronouncies "Qvartz."

Just realized my OQ battery has died...

Time to visit RSC for free battery my friend :). Ironically this is only thing RSC will provide FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2021, 01:05 AM   #4
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=733995
Old 25 May 2021, 01:14 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
And before Rolex own 100% made in-house quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement for the Swiss.Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months. But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement, to fit there Oyster case, so only stated the first Rolex quartz ref 5100 was water resist and not waterproof, now this was the very first Rolex ever produced with a sapphire crystal. Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement, and the design was very still close to the beta movement, but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ± 60 seconds a year (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:40 AM   #6
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And before Rolex own 100% made in-house quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement for the Swiss.Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months. But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement, to fit there Oyster case, so only stated the first Rolex quartz ref 5100 was water resist and not waterproof, now this was the very first Rolex ever produced with a sapphire crystal. Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement, and the design was very still close to the beta movement, but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ± 60 seconds a year (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Thanks for the info, Padi!!
Old 25 May 2021, 02:08 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Padi!!
A bit more little known OQ history, in 2004, an Oysterquartz watch was offered at auction by Antiquorum that looked like an ordinary 17014 stainless model with the white gold bezel. Upon closer examination, however, it was clear this watch was something unique and many wondered if it was a genuine Rolex. There was no reference number on the back of the watch where one would expect to see it engraved on a typical Oysterquartz. And the watch contained a heretofore unheard of 23 jewel quartz movement marked "5335" with a date function that employed a perpetual calendar mechanism that could be completely adjusted using the crown.

This mystery watch was never sold because it was pulled when Rolex told Antiquorum officials that it had been stolen from them. A civil lawsuit ensued in Switzerland between the owner of the watch and Rolex. Rolex lost this suit largely due to the testimony of former and current Rolex employees who testified that it was common practice for Rolex to dispose of prototype watches by giving them to employees. Also, the fact that Rolex had never reported the watch to the police as stolen didn't help their case. The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.

Prototype Oysterquartz Day-Date Perpetual Calendar

Thanks to a former Rolex insider (who no longer works for Rolex), I am able to confirm not only the existence of the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, but give some details about this watch, which is without doubt the rarest Oysterquartz ever produced by Rolex.

Approximately eleven prototype Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar watches were produced.

They were produced in Datejust and Day-Date versions.
All prototypes were encased in 17014 SS cases with white gold bezels.

No external reference numbers were engraved on the cases.

The movement used in the Datejust model was designated the 5335 and had 23 jewels.

The movement used in the Day-Date model was designated the 5355 and had 23 jewels.

The movement is silent, with no audible tic (a marked difference from the original Oysterquartz).

The perpetual calendar function of this watch was patented by Rolex: Swiss Patent number CH 672 222 G A3.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 May 2021, 02:40 AM   #8
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Great Thread! Thanks Padi!
Old 25 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Time to visit RSC for free battery my friend :). Ironically this is only thing RSC will provide FOC.
My RSC doesn't charge for the battery, but insists on a full service with every battery change @ approx 700 USD. There's your "free"...
Old 25 May 2021, 10:05 AM   #10
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My RSC doesn't charge for the battery, but insists on a full service with every battery change @ approx 700 USD. There's your "free"...

The battery life is short and need to be replaced every 2 years and I don’t see the need at all to service it every 2 years.

Old 25 May 2021, 09:05 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
The battery life is short and need to be replaced every 2 years and I don’t see the need at all to service it every 2 years.

The Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and its not rocket science to change it yourself. Even most high street watchmakers could do with the correct case back tool its only like unscrewing a jar and pressure check after. You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 its not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery. But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, and its no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko dive watch

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 May 2021, 09:31 PM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and its not rocket science to change it yourself. Even most high street watchmakers could do with the correct case back tool its only like unscrewing a jar and pressure check after. You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 its not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery. But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, and its no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko dive watch
I quite like having the movement serviced by the RSC while they still accept them - it's only a matter of time before they don't.

I have no expertise with watch mechanics, either. I know it's just a battery change, but I'd probably eff something up if I tried to do it myself. I have neither the tools nor the knowledge.

I was wearing it when my son was born, so I don't mind paying, even through the nose, to make sure it keeps purring. It's his birthright. #PulpFiction
Old 20 June 2021, 04:30 AM   #13
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Some OQ glossy black love...

Old 20 June 2021, 12:19 PM   #14
Dries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some OQ glossy black love...
Nice OQ
Dries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 05:00 PM   #15
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dries View Post
Nice OQ
Thanks! I really love the black dial, it’s really well made and has a really good luster to it!
Old 20 June 2021, 05:48 PM   #16
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! I really love the black dial, it’s really well made and has a really good luster to it!

Yes it has a lovely depth to it. Almost a chocolate brown in certain lighting.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
As Peter has said.

Remove case back, remove battery cover, replace battery, reassemble and pressure test.

Battery cost Au$8 plus about *15 minutes of time.

*Tiny pesky battery cover screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F4C50591-89EC-418B-95A1-07283D43801B.jpeg (96.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpeg 2A0879E4-67BC-4579-A6DF-F24306099653.jpeg (138.5 KB, 71 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 07:30 PM   #18
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopeluche View Post
Yes it has a lovely depth to it. Almost a chocolate brown in certain lighting.
I totally agree! Never seen that on any other black Rolex dial...