The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2021, 04:51 AM   #1
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
New Watches at the AD

I was picking up my wife’s watch from my AD as it had been serviced. The person helping me said Rolex sent them 30 watches for display only. I went and looked at the selection, even tried on a few, but was not allowed to buy any. Some of the selection included a gold day/date, a sub, seadweller, Batgirl, two Daytonas etc. thoughts?
Old 25 December 2021, 04:55 AM   #2
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
The AD's are very kind now. They let you try the best models so you can buy direct from the greys instead of site unseen.
franklee168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 04:55 AM   #3
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Goes for all the ADs nowadays. They have an entire case of high demand watches that are "Exhibition Only". You can try them on, smell them, put money on the counter, but those watches are not for sale.

If they don't display them then what is the point of going into a store that has nothing to show?
paxjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 04:56 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
At least you get a chance to handle the watches and see if they’re right for you.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:11 AM   #5
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
At least you get a chance to handle the watches and see if they’re right for you.
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:13 AM   #6
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Batgirl
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:18 AM   #7
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
The AD's are very kind now. They let you try the best models so you can buy direct from the greys instead of site unseen.
30 watches???

But yes its like going to car dealer to test drive and then buying cheaper from Carvana or the alike. Well I guess that is the exact opposite from buying from a Grey (the cheaper part I mean)
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:20 AM   #8
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxjedi View Post
Goes for all the ADs nowadays. They have an entire case of high demand watches that are "Exhibition Only". You can try them on, smell them, put money on the counter, but those watches are not for sale.

If they don't display them then what is the point of going into a store that has nothing to show?
Not true that all dealers have exhibition watches and some that do don’t have anywhere near 30.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:24 AM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I walked into my AD earlier this year, and my heart skipped a beat! I saw a BLNR and a bunch of other hot SS models in the showcase! I thought I happened to walk in at just the right time. I had planned to leave with all of those, or at the very least that BLNR. The SA walked right over and quickly pointed to the tiny little sign at said "Exhibition Only" and I was immediately let down.

That was the first time I had ever seen or heard about exhibition only pieces. The SA told me that people were coming in wanting to buy since they heard through others that they had several SS models in stock. Obviously, it was from people who saw those in the showcases, then immediately called friends or relatives to let them know without finding out the facts.

I guess it's kinda cool tho. You get to at least touch, try on, and see what an actual watch is like in the metal. I got to try on a BLNR and a holy grail blue dial Sky-D. I will admit that I want both of those even more now that I've tried them on! Lol.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:26 AM   #10
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Great post!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:49 AM   #11
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
A couple of months ago I stopped by my AD (whose Rolex section had been barren for months) and noticed they had fully stocked cases with the dummy display only models.

I was excited only because they had a DSSD which I had never seen in person and wanted to try it on to see how it would fit on my wrist.

When I brought up the Rolex display cases she cut me off and said "oh those are not gonna happen thats display only blah blah"- I said I knew what they were and just wanted to try on the Deep Sea to see if it was even a watch I wanted on my radar for future acquisition.

She seemed very hesitant to even open the display case but eventually let me try it on. She seemed nervous about it like if someone were to see me trying one on the counter might get rushed from people thinking they actually had Rolex in stock or something...

The whole experience was kind of awkward and off putting. (I do have a purchase history with her too bought a Tudor not too long ago).

I'm really getting tired of these AD games. My SA texts me every few weeks asking me about any plans for jewelry purchases etc. I think shes indirectly trying to tell me if I buy some of their overpriced hearts on fire crap then maybe I can get the privilege of msrp on a no date sub. lol

No thanks. I've given up on wasting my time with them.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:53 AM   #12
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Geary's of Beverly Hills Westfield Century City boutique had like 4 exhibition watches in their case...a week ago...
Old 25 December 2021, 05:55 AM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Geary's of Beverly Hills Westfield Century City boutique had like 4 exhibition watches in their case...a week ago...including this Sky D and a YG DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 December 2021, 06:06 AM   #14
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
One AD here has display models,in the form of watches sold that's waiting for the owners to pick it up .I like that

Could see the ss BLRO with oyster for the first time in the metal .Oyster beats Jubilee .No question .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 09:15 AM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sounds about right for now
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 11:37 AM   #16
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
It's better than empty cases. At least you can have a feel for these watches before hunting one down. You get to meet your heroes and we all know how that can end, sometimes.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 02:28 PM   #17
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Haven’t seen any in Canada yet.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 02:35 PM   #18
NebHusker23
"TRF" Member

New Watches at AD

They want people to try on the watches and the AD does not want anymore empty cases. The thing is that the watches have no movements in them.
NebHusker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 02:51 PM   #19
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 11:42 PM   #20
mml4
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=TswaneNguni;11886911]One AD here has display models,in the form of watches sold that's waiting for the owners to pick it up .I like that

I would be exceptionally angry with an AD that used my purchase as a try on display model!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:52 AM   #21
MiamiBoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'd have to try on a solid gold Sub to see if it'll be too heavy or not. I once just picked up a small platinum Rolex and the weight was astounding!
MiamiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:56 AM   #22
TM9
"TRF" Member

I enjoy seeing models in the display cases. Maybe people will walk away with a model that was not on their radar. I think it is also beneficial to try some on too see how the different sizes fit your wrist.
TM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:00 AM   #23
rfiorito
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
I walked into an AD prior to XMass and the Rolex display case was filled with other jewelry!
rfiorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:20 AM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't care to try on watches that I can not buy. This sits wrong with me and further takes me away from the brand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:30 AM   #25
Wine4Golf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
A couple of months ago I stopped by my AD (whose Rolex section had been barren for months) and noticed they had fully stocked cases with the dummy display only models.

I was excited only because they had a DSSD which I had never seen in person and wanted to try it on to see how it would fit on my wrist.

When I brought up the Rolex display cases she cut me off and said "oh those are not gonna happen thats display only blah blah"- I said I knew what they were and just wanted to try on the Deep Sea to see if it was even a watch I wanted on my radar for future acquisition.

She seemed very hesitant to even open the display case but eventually let me try it on. She seemed nervous about it like if someone were to see me trying one on the counter might get rushed from people thinking they actually had Rolex in stock or something...

The whole experience was kind of awkward and off putting. (I do have a purchase history with her too bought a Tudor not too long ago).

I'm really getting tired of these AD games. My SA texts me every few weeks asking me about any plans for jewelry purchases etc. I think shes indirectly trying to tell me if I buy some of their overpriced hearts on fire crap then maybe I can get the privilege of msrp on a no date sub. lol

No thanks. I've given up on wasting my time with them.
The games are out of control. It’s sickening how some SAs have become jerks.
PS Hearts on Fire is definitely not crap!!
Wine4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote