The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 14 October 2010, 05:06 AM   #1
merc
"TRF" Member

Where to post for my 3 questions?

Hi there,

My name is Tony. I inherited a Rolex watch, and am not entirely sure what to do with it.

I know it's a Perpetual Oyster, circa 1980, but haven't been able to find a picture of it on the internet -- anywhere!

I would like to 1) find out what it actually is 2) Know how much I can sell it for 3) Know where to sell it and make the most out of it (ebay? Here?)

Which forums shall I post my three questions... thank you!

And yes, this forum is awesome :D

Bye!

Merc.
merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Hi, we really can't do it unless you can post a picture of it here.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 05:42 AM   #3
merc
"TRF" Member

Here they are...!

Hi,

I actually asked where I should post these questions, rather than the "welcome" forums!

Well, here are the pictures... they are quite terrible, I need to take better ones, but...
(In fact, any hints on what kind of photos I should take?)

I got it serviced (it cost me 200 Euro!), cleaned, etc. The service guy told me that it's a fantastic original.

Bye,

Merc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-10-13 21.33.56.jpg (48.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-10-13 21.34.30.jpg (55.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-10-13 21.35.14.jpg (58.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-10-13 21.35.48.jpg (51.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 14 October 2010, 10:34 AM   #4
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
OP Date with an engine-turned bezel!

did I win a prize?
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

So you are in Perth and a service cost you Euro200

I would have thought the person who serviced your watch could have given you some advice on the questions you asked.

Anyone thinking of buying this watch should exercise a high level of care.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
merc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

I would have thought the person who serviced your watch could have given you some advice on the questions you asked.

Look me up if you like. I am Tony Mobily, I manage Free Software Magazine, http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com. I live in Perth, Australia, but have a lot of family in Europe. I am in Rome right now, but will be flying back home in a little while...

Well I hope that covers the "why did you pay Euros in Australia".

I am trying to figure this watch out while I am here because I will be going through Asia on my way back and am a little apprehensive about having a very expensive watch on my wrist while there...

Merc.
Old 14 October 2010, 06:27 PM   #7
merc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just realised... excuse me, are you implying in any way that I am a scammer?

I don't like this.

Merc.
Old 14 October 2010, 06:32 PM   #8
merc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
OP Date with an engine-turned bezel!
did I win a prize?
It took me a while to even interpret this sentence...!
Alright... I looked up online, and I just can't seem to find any matching photos of it anywhere online. Well, nothing that matches.

Is that expected?

Merc.
Old 14 October 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
merc
"TRF" Member

Hi lol-x,

I posted this reply but I realised I put a link, which is possibly why my previous comment was moderated.

I realise that you must get a high number of scammers in these forums, especially if they just joined up. However, for the record, my name is Tony Mobily, I own Free Software Magazine (not supplying the URL here as the message would get moderated). Just type my name wherever you like on the net.

If you go to Free Software Magazine, look at the left hand side: it will say "Yes lol-x, this is really me." If you still feel that's not enough, feel free to email me to the email address provided by the magazine.

I published about 200 articles on IT and software, and am the Editor in Chief of the magazine.

For the record, I am Australian but have some family in Italy. I am in Italy right now, and would like to know how much this watch is worth before going back home in a few weeks, since I will be travelling through Asia and feel uncomfortable with something really expensive around my wrist. Yes, Euro is the current currency in Italy.

The guy who services my watch was an authorised Rolex serviceperson (so he said), and told me that my Rolex was a unique model and possibly worth a lot, even Euro 5000. However, a second hand shop a couple of days later told me that since I don't have a certificate and box, he would only be prepared to give me Euro 800 for it.

This is why I came here.

Lol-x, your comment really irritated me. Again, I am sure there are a lot of scammers out there, but please concede at least the benefit of the doubt to new forum members. It's not really _so_ strange, to be travelling, you know?

Merc.

P.S.
I use Australian spellings.

Quote:

Old 14 October 2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

You have to excuse Stevo.

Bill Gates joined last month and tried to offer his 16200 for sale before his 16/16 selling privileges kicked in.

There was a little unpleasantness and we had to re-boot him.
Old 14 October 2010, 10:17 PM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Hello Tony. First of all welcome.

Yes we do view initial posts such as yours attempts to skirt the rules. If you would take the time to review the rules you will find there is a number of posts and a time frame new members must have to offer to sell.

This is some attempt to discourage scammers that frequent forums and try to take advantage of members.

Secondly, it's always nice to see the seller do some research on his own. Questions like "How much can I get for my watch" quite honestly turn some people off as most here have other reasons to own a watch besides it's value.

Third, your photos are not the best. Clear detailes scans are the only way to advertise a product. Fakes and re-dials abound and the easiest way to hide the fact is through a crappy picture.

No , we don't know who you are. Hence one of the reasons for a number of posts to allow members to get a feel for the person selling and ask for references.

For all you know I Superman, sent here as child for the planet Krypton.

Try enjoying the forum, make some decent posts, don't assume someone is attacking you, and when you get home post some clear photos of the watch on a newspaper with the date visable.

Enjoy yourself.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
merc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hello Tony. First of all welcome.

Yes we do view initial posts such as yours attempts to skirt the rules. If you would take the time to review the rules you will find there is a number of posts and a time frame new members must have to offer to sell.
I asked here where the best place to sell my watch would be. I never offered it for sale. In fact, I am not even sure I *want* to sell it -- I am not even sure how much it's worth...!

(I am still trying to figure out what it is exactly, and how much it's worth...!)

Merc.
Old 15 October 2010, 03:49 PM   #13
merc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is some attempt to discourage scammers that frequent forums and try to take advantage of members.

OK.. point taken.

Quote:

Secondly, it's always nice to see the seller do some research on his own. Questions like "How much can I get for my watch" quite honestly turn some people off as most here have other reasons to own a watch besides it's value.
Well... err... I have to put my honest hat on. I have never, ever worn a watch in my life (!).
I found myself with this one, and a strange "duty" to wear it. I got it cleaned... but while I wear it, I feel like an adult cat with a collar around his neck for the first time, if you know what I mean.

I guess I don't really belong to these forums, strictly speaking...

Quote:

Third, your photos are not the best. Clear detailes scans are the only way to advertise a product. Fakes and re-dials abound and the easiest way to hide the fact is through a crappy picture.
!!!
My focus was to know "what I had" and thought those pictures could be enough (I took them with my phone). But I can totally see your point...

Quote:

No , we don't know who you are. Hence one of the reasons for a number of posts to allow members to get a feel for the person selling and ask for references.

For all you know I Superman, sent here as child for the planet Krypton.

:-D

Quote:
Try enjoying the forum, make some decent posts, don't assume someone is attacking you, and when you get home post some clear photos of the watch on a newspaper with the date visable.

Enjoy yourself.
Thanks for the welcome... I will post better photos. I *still* would love to find out what I actually have, and how much it's worth. Selling it? We'll see.

Merc.
Old 15 October 2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Looks to me to be a 1603(?) I think with the engine turned bezel could be all SS or the bezel could be gold... so, I'm not sure... if you were to dislodge you band from the watch you will see numbers imprinted at the top and bottom between the lugs where you took the band from. Put the model # here and the serial give us the first 3 # and Xxx for the rest. This will give us approximate manufacture time.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are some basics whenever you want to research a watch..

First, you need the numbers off the sides of the case... Take the bracelet off and inscribed against the case will be the model number on one side, and the serial number on the other side... The other side of your clasp also has pertinent information on it

This information will help in assisting us with finding the approximate year, style, and if it is fitted with the wrong parts...

- Your photos are terrible and the type seen when a "seller" wants to cover up flaws or replica parts... Please post decent photographs...

- Your initial inquiry, "Here's my watch.... what's it worth and where can I sell it" (paraphrased) is typical of solicitation. We see hundreds of these each year.. If that is what you want, armed with the model and serial numbers - you will likely find plenty of "pictures on the 'net" and a couple of minutes on e-bay will yield your answers on typical sales prices.....

However, if you have the numbers I described, and if you have good clear photos, you can post this information in the main Rolex Discussion Boards and you will receive quite a bit of information...

But - sales are not allowed on discussion boards, so if it appears like a solicitation; I won't have much hesitation about tossing it in the bin.........
Old 16 October 2010, 08:04 PM   #16
merc
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I obviously got it all wrong... thank you for straighten me up :-D

OK, will do -- let's see what happens. I am taking it to the guy who serviced it for me, to get these numbers from it. And yeah, better photos are a must, my phone is not gonna cut it...

Thank you!

Merc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are some basics whenever you want to research a watch..

First, you need the numbers off the sides of the case... Take the bracelet off and inscribed against the case will be the model number on one side, and the serial number on the other side... The other side of your clasp also has pertinent information on it

This information will help in assisting us with finding the approximate year, style, and if it is fitted with the wrong parts...

- Your photos are terrible and the type seen when a "seller" wants to cover up flaws or replica parts... Please post decent photographs...

- Your initial inquiry, "Here's my watch.... what's it worth and where can I sell it" (paraphrased) is typical of solicitation. We see hundreds of these each year.. If that is what you want, armed with the model and serial numbers - you will likely find plenty of "pictures on the 'net" and a couple of minutes on e-bay will yield your answers on typical sales prices.....

However, if you have the numbers I described, and if you have good clear photos, you can post this information in the main Rolex Discussion Boards and you will receive quite a bit of information...

But - sales are not allowed on discussion boards, so if it appears like a solicitation; I won't have much hesitation about tossing it in the bin.........