The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2018, 01:53 AM   #31
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Icon14

Very honorable of you, Greg... I can imagine the frantic Mom, sick to her stomach losing her wallet. Been there, but mine was never recovered because in a fierce wind, got carried away when I slipped on ice years ago.

Re: the subject of finding, but from a difference approach:
For a personal find, it was thanks to a notice placed in my State's Unclaimed Property - here is my previous thread about how to recover money that may be sitting waiting for you to claim.
Every State has a site listing unclaimed property.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...nclaimed+money

Cheers
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:04 AM   #32
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

1k - 10 crisp $100 bills fresh out the ATM in a LV wallet, younger guy than me, tried to find him with no luck, reluctantly left it with security after we counted it and showed the 100+ present cameras, found the kid on social media and confirmed he got it back.

That's the most I ever found
Old 23 April 2018, 02:10 AM   #33
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Very honorable of you, Greg... I can imagine the frantic Mom, sick to her stomach losing her wallet. Been there, but mine was never recovered because in a fierce wind, got carried away when I slipped on ice years ago.

Re: the subject of finding, but from a difference approach:
For a personal find, it was thanks to a notice placed in my State's Unclaimed Property - here is my previous thread about how to recover money that may be sitting waiting for you to claim.
Every State has a site listing unclaimed property.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...nclaimed+money

Cheers
DM
As somebody already pointed out ...to most on this forum....760+ dollars is not much money.....but to lots of single mothers its eating or not eating or getting evicted on the street.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:11 AM   #34
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
As somebody already pointed out ...to most on this forum....760+ dollars is not much money.....but to lots of single mothers its eating or not eating or getting evicted on the street.
Mine got free boarding and food.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:27 AM   #35
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Good job Greg. glad to hear the money went back to its owner.

In 4th grade I found a wallet with around $600 at Universal Studios on a field trip. I remember some friends said to keep it and share the money with them. I told my teacher who gave it to security. The owner had already reported it missing and was glad to get it back.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:40 AM   #36
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I find an occasional $20 in my laundry, but that's about it.

Kudos Greg, your a solid dude!
Old 23 April 2018, 02:55 AM   #37
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I found 100 Million dollars once.

We were paying after dinner at a lodge in Zimbabwe. You needed stacks of money for everything at the time. Our friends got paid partly in Zim dollars (for legal reasons) and the rest in USD, they had to spend the Zim dollars the day they got it as within hours it was worthless, and as there was nothing to buy anywhere, a slap up dinner became the routine on pay day.

No one admitted to having dropped 100 million dollars so I kept it.

In truth a sheet of toilet paper was worth more, and was better in many way too (its more absorbent for one).
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:01 AM   #38
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
In February 1964 I found a bag in a trunk of a car containing £50,000
Enough to retire back then.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:07 AM   #39
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I just thought of another reason why toilet paper was better than ZIM dollars.

Toilet paper is cleaner.

Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:09 AM   #40
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Way to go, Greg!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:17 AM   #41
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: peripherally
True story #1

Twenty or so years ago I used to live in a small studio apartment which was on the second floor on top of the Piedmont Grocery in Oakland California. Now at the time I was the one who was struggling to pay my bills and make the rent, answering the phone and stocking supplies at a local nursing home. My only prized Rolex was the well worn Air King which my father had bought back in 1965 and eventually given to me as a birthday present because of my love of watches.

One afternoon after work I parked my tired '93 Ford Ranger at the far end of the grocery parking lot and was walking to my apartment when I spotted a large roll of cash on the ground, no wallet etc., just the bills. I didn't count it but it looked to be at least a couple hundred in 20s. I looked around me and there were no other people in the immediate area so I had no way of knowing who might have dropped it. I started walking again and was almost home when a car pulls up to me and the driver tells me that the lady in the blue sweater who was just going inside the store had dropped something that I had picked up. I went inside, looked around a bit and found the blue sweater lady at the deli line, and sure enough she had on a fanny pack with the pocket wide open and the zipper unzipped. I handed her the cash and said "I think you dropped something". She said "Thanks" and went about her business. That's it, not even a smile and certainly not one of the 20s for going out of my way to get it back to her. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

So blue sweater fanny pack Piedmont Grocery lady, if you're reading this I hope you got some bad pastrami that day.
Sporkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:29 AM   #42
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

True story #2

It was 1985, I'm 11 years old and my 5th grade class was on a field trip to the state Capitol building in Sacramento. They probably don't have them now, but back then they had those ashtrays with the sand in them sitting next to the outdoor benches. I'm standing there and stuck in the sand along with the cigarette butts was a very tightly rolled ten dollar bill. It didn't occur to me at the time why it might have been rolled up so tightly, but now that I think about it someone had probably been powdering their nose with it.
Old 23 April 2018, 03:37 AM   #43
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

True story #3

I'm a really little kid walking along with a friend and we come across a small cardboard box FULL of pennies. Score!!! We take it home, count it out, and it's a grand total of six bucks....split two ways. I then realized that it hadn't really been worth the trouble.
Old 23 April 2018, 03:53 AM   #44
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I watched 35-40 minutes then gave up.
ah well , ill owe you 35 mins.
you really need at least 45 though.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:48 AM   #45
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Not cash, but....

About 18 months ago, my step-sister, who is a real estate agent in Florida, was walking the property of a home she had just sold with the new homeowner. They came upon a PVC pipe laying in the dirt, partially hidden underneath some bushes. They pulled it out and found a 4" PVC pipe nipple with both ends sealed with plugs. She called her husband who opened it up and found a white powdered substance inside, vacuumed sealed in clear plastic. At that point the police were called, and it tested positive for cocaine. I thought stuff like that only happened on television, but it's a true story.
Old 23 April 2018, 05:52 AM   #46
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkmaker View Post
True story #1

Twenty or so years ago I used to live in a small studio apartment which was on the second floor on top of the Piedmont Grocery in Oakland California. Now at the time I was the one who was struggling to pay my bills and make the rent, answering the phone and stocking supplies at a local nursing home. My only prized Rolex was the well worn Air King which my father had bought back in 1965 and eventually given to me as a birthday present because of my love of watches.

One afternoon after work I parked my tired '93 Ford Ranger at the far end of the grocery parking lot and was walking to my apartment when I spotted a large roll of cash on the ground, no wallet etc., just the bills. I didn't count it but it looked to be at least a couple hundred in 20s. I looked around me and there were no other people in the immediate area so I had no way of knowing who might have dropped it. I started walking again and was almost home when a car pulls up to me and the driver tells me that the lady in the blue sweater who was just going inside the store had dropped something that I had picked up. I went inside, looked around a bit and found the blue sweater lady at the deli line, and sure enough she had on a fanny pack with the pocket wide open and the zipper unzipped. I handed her the cash and said "I think you dropped something". She said "Thanks" and went about her business. That's it, not even a smile and certainly not one of the 20s for going out of my way to get it back to her. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

So blue sweater fanny pack Piedmont Grocery lady, if you're reading this I hope you got some bad pastrami that day.
The manager said she wanted my cell phone number to call to thank me but i said no.....
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:16 AM   #47
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I was a bag boy/stock boy when I was 16. Found a $100 bill on the floor in the store turned it in to the boss/store owner. He said he would put it in the safe for a week. If no one came to claim it, I would get to keep it. 7 days later, I had me a $100 bill.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:20 AM   #48
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Best was a $20 bill in the tray of an ATM machine.

Since I explore the desert as part of my mental health program. I search for stuff out there.

So far I have found a buried Pontiac woody wagon, a buried 57 Chevy 4 door, (Who in the world buries their cars?) tools, train rails, Parts of a Sherman tank that was hit by a train and at a courthouse I worked at. A pistol! Turned that in to the police station across the street. Belonged to a policeman there who left it in the courthouse bathroom. He never dropped by to say thanks.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:14 AM   #49
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Watched a guy get out his SUV at a gas station and drop $160. I quickly retrieved it and called out to him to give it back. When he came back out he hands me a bottle of water as a thank you. Before I leave the station, a construction worker who had witnessed what I did walks up, hands me another bottle of water and thanks me for my honesty.

Once found $178,000 stuffed in the dashboard of a Cadillac Sedan De Ville. Too bad we were the police and had to voucher (aka-take into evidence) every penny of it!
My integrity is worth far more than that amount.

And kudos to you Greg. You are a honest and admirable man.......
Beo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 10:22 AM   #50
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I found a man’s wallet in a store parking lot a few years ago. There was about $300 dollars in it. I asked the store to page the person. It was a young guy with his wife or girlfriend. He didn’t even know he had dropped it. The look on his face when I handed him the wallet and he saw his money was still there was priceless. Kid was broke and had just cashed his paycheck and was buying groceries.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 08:39 PM   #51
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
ah well , ill owe you 35 mins.
you really need at least 45 though.
Not at all, I was on my lunch break.

I'll give it another try in a few days.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 08:46 PM   #52
tng11
"TRF" Member

Found the equivalent of $500 in Croatian Kunas all crumpled together on the floor of a club on Hvar Island. No ID and no one reported anything. Even though I was a poorish kid backpacking Europe at the time (in 2013), I bought my entire party group a round of mojito pitchers and blew it all.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 02:08 AM   #53
ADB85
"TRF" Member

I bought a book at a charity store and it had a 50 GBP note in it. I went back to check the books next to it the next day but didn't find any more but, I did make a donation to the charity store.
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:30 AM   #54
EliteJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I once found a money clip with $1300 in it as I was walking out of the washroom at a place I use to work. Saw the money clip had the name of a true ass that I had zero respect for. I did give it back to him and he did not even say thanks. I let the rest of the team know what happened and guess what it happened again so our manager gave him the money clip back but donated all the cash to charity.
EliteJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:48 AM   #55
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I was in NYC last week and actually found $60 (3 twenty dollar bills) literally blowing across a crosswalk near 42nd and 3rd. I picked up the bills and stood on the corner for a while to see if anyone looked like they were looking for lost money. I waited for about 10 minutes and headed back to the office.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 04:25 AM   #56
Jrpontiac
"TRF" Member

I found $1200 cash in a pursue left in a cart in the Home Depot parking lot. Had her phone in it as well, called her most frequently called contact and left a message that I was leaving purse/phone/money at the Home Depot service counter. She called me a couple hours later very thankful. Found $200 in a wallet with ID in my high school science classroom my junior year. Took the money and threw the wallet in the garbage. 28 years later I still feel guilty about that.
Jrpontiac is offline   Reply With Quote