The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2018, 01:19 AM   #1
oldcarz
"TRF" Member

PAM00720 - Radiomir

Hi folks,
Typically float between the Panerai and Rolex forums. Collecting both brands, and others, for years, but typically enjoy the larger Panerai and leather straps for weekend wear. As a bigger guy, I carry the 44-47mm watches well and may be among the less outspoken who think of the Rolex 40mm as "harder to see."

Today I'm sporting a recently acquired 720 RADIOMIR 3 DAYS ACCIAIO - 47MM. My first tendency is toward Luminors, have 005, 140, 372 and my daily beater, 88, so was intrigued when the salesman discussed special editions of the Radiomir 685 and 720 to me. I might have been really teased if I saw the 687 (brown/tropical) dial in the flesh, but when tried on for size, the Rads definitely feels smaller than the 372.

Not much published data, yet on the 720, but read information on the Panerai.com site about the 721. Both have the same movements and technical details, but the 721 is completely anonymous without any writing on it at all. Between 720 and 721, my preference was the limited writing on the 720 and very intrigued with the historical significance of how Rolex and Panerai delivered the watches with limited information about the manufacturing.

Was also told that the 720 and 721 were recently introduced with gold hands, and, at the last minute, were changed to the "correct" blue hands. Perhaps this is why there isn't much chatter about them. But, as a casual collector, I'm pleased with the efforts to make these new releases as lovely homages.

Came with a light beige PV strap, but will swap out to a gray asso and others in time. I have several ammo straps and others for the 372, and the 1mm difference in width won't make a difference on a Radiomir.

A couple of pix. Better closeups of the professionally taken photos on line as it is hard to show the blue hands against a muted black dial...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 720.jpg (251.7 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg Gray Assolutamente Strap.jpg (281.5 KB, 602 views)
oldcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 01:59 AM   #2
Statos
"TRF" Member

Congrats and thanks for the size comparison. I have been thinking about getting a Rad for my next Pam but really not sure about the size. I don't have an AD close by or Boutique to try them on. Curious what size your wrist is ? I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist.
Statos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice, congrats! Looks fantastic on the grey asso.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:32 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

Very nice! Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:44 AM   #5
oldcarz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statos View Post
Congrats and thanks for the size comparison. I have been thinking about getting a Rad for my next Pam but really not sure about the size. I don't have an AD close by or Boutique to try them on. Curious what size your wrist is ? I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist.
Hi Statos,
I have a 7.5" wrist. Personally, I have never been concerned about a watch looking "too big" on me, if anything, I don't prefer the smaller watches (~36mm) that were popularized for many years. Since 99.99% of the time it's only me that looks at the watch and frequently wear long sleeves that partially cover it, I can't recall a time, ever, that I witnessed snickering by the watch police for wearing an oversized timepiece for my build

In fact, my wife actually wore white after Labor Day one year and we didn't get thrown out of the Opera. So fashion rules are softening

I posted a similar reply in the Rolex Forums about watch size and my preference for the larger PAMs. See post #28

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...42#post8498242

Regards and good luck with a Rad search. Nice to have some variety.

J
oldcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:10 AM   #6
Squalex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 510
Absolute beauty!
Squalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:44 AM   #7
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Congrats! That 720 looks fantastic!
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:03 AM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Great looking piece.
Old 23 April 2018, 11:38 AM   #9
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
721 always had blue hands....720 was converted to the blue hands

the lack of ‘chatter’ had nothing to do with the hands....
enjoy

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:40 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, beauty
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 01:53 AM   #11
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Very nice! I have the 424 in 47mm. Really feels like the perfect size for a Radiomir.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This watch really is perfect and pairs with the 448 and 449 as excellent examples of early base Radiomirs. I wish Panerai would offer something like this as a standard production model like they did with the 372.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 02:15 PM   #13
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
This watch really is perfect and pairs with the 448 and 449 as excellent examples of early base Radiomirs. I wish Panerai would offer something like this as a standard production model like they did with the 372.
the 232 & 249 are much better than the 448/449 imho

chgo_risti on IG
Old 26 April 2018, 10:44 PM   #14
peterszew
Banned

Very Nice
peterszew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #15
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
You are absolutely correct here...not everyone understands the differences in the various 47mm SE Radiomirs...the 720/721 are exactly the same as the 448/449 except for the differences in the dial designs...and plexi, movement, case, thickness, etc...the 232/249 are apple and orange comparisons to the 448/449/720/721...of course, one can say that the 249 v 448 is apples to apples, but only from the superficial design of the Cali dial...even the nuanced designs are different and of course the case and plexi and very different...232 is in a class by itself and is a very different PAM from the 720/721/448/449...now, had the 720 kept its gold hands, it would have been more comparable to the 232...

One is not "better" than the other...it's all a matter of personal taste and understanding the similarities and differences...

And interestingly, the 721 is not truly anonymous as the dial ring has a beautiful "Panerai" inscription...a truly anonimo dial and watch similar to the 3646 prototypes would have these types of inscriptions...even the 249 has "Panerai" unscripted on one side of the case...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:59 PM   #16
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Beautiful!!!!!
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #17
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great looking watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 10:21 PM   #18
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Nice congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 11:20 PM   #19
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Congrats

I personally love the 720 and think it's much more balanced than the 721...brilliant choice!
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:33 AM   #20
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Fantastic looking watch! Congratulations! I am currently looking at acquiring this very model. Just hope they still have it next week, if/when I make up my alleged mind. It does look great on the grey strap as well, although I was very impressed by the beige Ponte Vecchio it comes on, when I saw it in person.
Cheers,
Carl
Old 21 July 2018, 12:15 PM   #21
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Which one of the 47mm Pam's have the thinnest case? I'm confused
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 04:47 PM   #22
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Which one of the 47mm Pam's have the thinnest case? I'm confused
AFAIK, 232 and 249.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:57 PM   #23
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
AFAIK, 232 and 249.
^^^^this

chgo_risti on IG
Old 29 July 2018, 01:58 PM   #24
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarz View Post
Hi folks,
Typically float between the Panerai and Rolex forums. Collecting both brands, and others, for years, but typically enjoy the larger Panerai and leather straps for weekend wear. As a bigger guy, I carry the 44-47mm watches well and may be among the less outspoken who think of the Rolex 40mm as "harder to see."

Today I'm sporting a recently acquired 720 RADIOMIR 3 DAYS ACCIAIO - 47MM. My first tendency is toward Luminors, have 005, 140, 372 and my daily beater, 88, so was intrigued when the salesman discussed special editions of the Radiomir 685 and 720 to me. I might have been really teased if I saw the 687 (brown/tropical) dial in the flesh, but when tried on for size, the Rads definitely feels smaller than the 372.

Not much published data, yet on the 720, but read information on the Panerai.com site about the 721. Both have the same movements and technical details, but the 721 is completely anonymous without any writing on it at all. Between 720 and 721, my preference was the limited writing on the 720 and very intrigued with the historical significance of how Rolex and Panerai delivered the watches with limited information about the manufacturing.

Was also told that the 720 and 721 were recently introduced with gold hands, and, at the last minute, were changed to the "correct" blue hands. Perhaps this is why there isn't much chatter about them. But, as a casual collector, I'm pleased with the efforts to make these new releases as lovely homages.

Came with a light beige PV strap, but will swap out to a gray asso and others in time. I have several ammo straps and others for the 372, and the 1mm difference in width won't make a difference on a Radiomir.

A couple of pix. Better closeups of the professionally taken photos on line as it is hard to show the blue hands against a muted black dial...
Very glad to read your thread on this watch once again. I did decide to go for this model - after extensive research - and find it to have so many references to the original. It was intriguing to learn about the differences between the 720 and 721. And one of the things that intrigues me the most, is that there really is little published date. When the watches were first introduced last year, it was very hard to get much info, and all the focus seemed to be on the 721 with the anonymous dial. Yet, the 720 is the one that is a Special Edition of 500. I am very fortunate that I can still get one, and it should be coming in end of next week.

The astonishing thing about Panerai for me, is that it has entirely take my focus off Rolex, and any other watches I may have wished to acquire! We shall see, down the road, how all that pans out.

I actually love the beige Ponte Vecchio strap that comes with the watch. I do have a dark brown Ponte Vecchio that I purchased for my 424, and I think I will use it on the 720. I like how the darker strap looks on the 721. Nice to have the choice.

With all it's attributes and historical references, I can't wait to have it on my wrist. Especially loving the blued hands and plexiglass crystal. Does it get any better!? Hope you thoroughly enjoy yours as much as I know I will enjoy mine!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 30 July 2018, 01:53 AM   #25
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Beautiful! Congrats!
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:48 AM   #26
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Very glad to read your thread on this watch once again. I did decide to go for this model - after extensive research - and find it to have so many references to the original. It was intriguing to learn about the differences between the 720 and 721. And one of the things that intrigues me the most, is that there really is little published date. When the watches were first introduced last year, it was very hard to get much info, and all the focus seemed to be on the 721 with the anonymous dial. Yet, the 720 is the one that is a Special Edition of 500. I am very fortunate that I can still get one, and it should be coming in end of next week.

The astonishing thing about Panerai for me, is that it has entirely take my focus off Rolex, and any other watches I may have wished to acquire! We shall see, down the road, how all that pans out.

I actually love the beige Ponte Vecchio strap that comes with the watch. I do have a dark brown Ponte Vecchio that I purchased for my 424, and I think I will use it on the 720. I like how the darker strap looks on the 721. Nice to have the choice.

With all it's attributes and historical references, I can't wait to have it on my wrist. Especially loving the blued hands and plexiglass crystal. Does it get any better!? Hope you thoroughly enjoy yours as much as I know I will enjoy mine!

Cheers,
Carl

Same thought process. I was initially planning to get the Pam Base 610 (Rad 8 Days) but decided instead on the Pam 774 due to the Blue OP Logo.

Between the 720 and the 721, the former seems to be a more attractive option. I couldn’t have a watch with no brand name onto the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:42 AM   #27
daciotp
Banned

Congrats!
daciotp is offline   Reply With Quote