The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2021, 07:27 AM   #31
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

I have a sd4k. The thickness is manageable as most of it is case back shape. I don't like thick "slab sided" watches, but this is not. Photo below with a sub and deepsea from the 'net shows what I mean...

Sd4k: Ceramic bezel, no maxi case, matt/satin dial, fully graduated bezel, no cyclops, quick adjust clasp... Amazing package.

I also had a JLC chrono, which I often regret selling. It was a great watch, understated but cool. Personally, if you can sell the sub, and buy the sd4k and JLC, I see that as a massive collection upgrade

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 26 August 2021, 07:34 AM   #32
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I like that JLC a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 07:39 AM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnewbank View Post
Current collection is a blro, sub date maxi case and a ym 116655.

I want another watch, was thinking a black datejust for formal occasions etc which I don’t really go to often and I don’t wear a suit for work.

Then I considered a jaeger Le coultre deep sea chronograph, still am considering.

I don’t collect watches to make money but a part of me thinks I should buy an sd4000 as they are literally going up £1500 per year and they aren’t making any more.

I know it’s basically the same as my sub but is it worth getting in now as they look like they maybe a real collectors piece in a few years.

My advise is get it because it appeals to you as something you would enjoy wearing it

These sorts of things bought as collectors pieces or investments doesn't often work. It's a lot like buying art where they always say buy it because you like it not to speculate on it.
That way the joy of ownership is not overwhelmed by the potential buyers remorse. One doesn't want to be in the position where one looks back on the experience and thinking "i really could've done without that" or worse
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 07:57 AM   #34
tymonster
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't add the SD4K to that lineup. I have one and it's far too similar to a sub (also had one and moved it once the SD4K came into the picture).

I'd get the SD4K, get that JLC (awesome choice), and get rid of your sub.
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 08:03 AM   #35
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
SD4K - absolutely get it. Fantastic piece.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 08:03 AM   #36
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Hi the SD4K is personally the nicest watch I own, and I do have a few. It has the benefits of a nice size case albeit slightly thicker than a Sub, has a ceramic bezel, no cyclops, has glide lock. It ticks a lot of boxes and yes it’s not often seen in public as it was only made for a 3 years.

I don’t think you would be unhappy if you bought one. Love mine!
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 09:06 AM   #37
jw72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex
The price is not going down. I would if it is something you must have.
I did, paid 15K.
I watched the watch go new for 11K in 2014 to 8K used in 2107 to 16K today.

Last edited by jw72; 26 August 2021 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: typo
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 06:51 PM   #38
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610lv, 124060,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
I wouldn't add the SD4K to that lineup. I have one and it's far too similar to a sub (also had one and moved it once the SD4K came into the picture).

I'd get the SD4K, get that JLC (awesome choice), and get rid of your sub.

I’d struggle to get rid of this sub! It wears better than any watch I’ve ever owned. Think I’ll have to pass on the sd4000.

Now I’m looking at this! Seems I want a leather or fabric strap. Something different

Jonnewbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 06:53 PM   #39
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
I have a sd4k. The thickness is manageable as most of it is case back shape. I don't like thick "slab sided" watches, but this is not. Photo below with a sub and deepsea from the 'net shows what I mean...

Sd4k: Ceramic bezel, no maxi case, matt/satin dial, fully graduated bezel, no cyclops, quick adjust clasp... Amazing package.

I also had a JLC chrono, which I often regret selling. It was a great watch, understated but cool. Personally, if you can sell the sub, and buy the sd4k and JLC, I see that as a massive collection upgrade

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Good advice! I’ve been researching this last night as well. Must say I’m loving it

Old 26 August 2021, 06:58 PM   #40
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I would Go SD43. Different size, anniversary model, and the line of red text when it gets discontinued youre guaranteed to make some money.

Plus most importantly it’s a great watch. I don’t like the end links on the 4000 and being a 40mm when you already have a sub seems pointless with a small Collection.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 08:41 PM   #41
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I would Go SD43. Different size, anniversary model, and the line of red text when it gets discontinued youre guaranteed to make some money.

Plus most importantly it’s a great watch. I don’t like the end links on the 4000 and being a 40mm when you already have a sub seems pointless with a small Collection.

I’ve had one. Wears too big for me. I had the gold two tone at the same time but lost a lot of weight and they were just to big for my new svelte wrist!