The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Who will buy a used Rolex if you don't know production date

Does anyone else think scrambled serial numbers will negatively effect resale a few years down the road? I know I won't buy a used Rolex if I don't know the production date.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
geronimo509
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If there is no other way to find out the production year then I wouldn't buy one unless I completely trusted the seller and they were 100% sure when it was made.
geronimo509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

I would Mike...If condition is good and all axtra's are there,why not if the price is good??

I see what your saying though.....Will the scrambled serials force a higher value???
Time will tell!..

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:45 AM   #4
robsteve
"TRF" Member

It will probably make original papers and a dated warranty card even more important in valuing a used watch with the random serial numbers.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
I've wondered about this also. While I don't think that the random serial numbers will negatively effect a watch's value, I wouldn't buy one for the same reason you pointed out. I absolutely want to know how old a watch is that I'm buying pre-owned.

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:48 AM   #6
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
It will probably make original papers and a dated warranty card even more important in valuing a used watch with the random serial numbers.

Robert
+1

Without papers no sale for me anyway.
mjm800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 11:54 AM   #7
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Mike here are few things to consider then.
The date on the warranty.
The service history of the watch.
and the condition of the watch...
It is just like buying an Omega watch or Cartier watch....
Old 24 July 2010, 12:06 PM   #8
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
Mike here are few things to consider then.
The date on the warranty.
The service history of the watch.
and the condition of the watch...
It is just like buying an Omega watch or Cartier watch....
+1

without dated papers, how will one be able to determine if the price should factor in serice that be due.
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 01:47 PM   #9
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo509 View Post
If there is no other way to find out the production year then I wouldn't buy one unless I completely trusted the seller and they were 100% sure when it was made.
Wait a minute. ALL random serial-numbered watches will be newer than ALL letter-code serial-numbered watches.

If you would buy a random-numbered watch because it might be old, why would you even consider a letter-code watch, which is guaranteed to be even older?

The date on the warranty card will be a more than close enough indicator of the age of the watch. I have never seen ANY evidence correlating the time spent on the shelf at the time of purchase with a higher incidence of malfunction.

Our watches have functional lives that can span for decades if not centuries, yet we talk about them here as if they go bad like last week's egg salad.

If anything, the random serial numbers will make buyers pay more attention to condition, which they should have been doing all along.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 01:54 PM   #10
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
When you buy a used watch that isn't in tip top shape, you would have to consider the movement may need a service. This would hurt the paying prices when they become 5 years into production with those numbers.

I agree that the previous method has worked just fine, and would like to know the age. Once the papers are gone it's hard to tell.

"This watch is 4 ish"

What if someone wants a vintage Rolex 35 years from now? What if they want a sentimental year, and the numbers have no meaning? I wish they never changed, but it's too late now.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 02:08 PM   #11
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Does anyone else think scrambled serial numbers will negatively effect resale a few years down the road? I know I won't buy a used Rolex if I don't know the production date.
I've always been confused by Rolex's repeated attempts to hide the production date of their watches. Always seemed deceptive to me. I know some marketing genius thinks it somehow adds to the on-going value of the watch and stretches out the saleability of old stock, giving it extended shelf-life. It would be nice if the company was a little more consumer-friendly and transparent.

But in the end, the effect of the mixed code will be to create a demarcation between pre-mixed (known dates) and mixed (unknown date) - unless some brilliant TRF cryptolgists manage to break the code. I imagine we will be seeing customer created data lists like "Fatter second hand = 2015 to 2016". Down the road, it might negatively affect the value of non-mixed in the resale market - or more quickly drop them into the vintage classification?
nowzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 02:21 PM   #12
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbar View Post
Our watches have functional lives that can span for decades if not centuries, yet we talk about them here as if they go bad like last week's egg salad.

If anything, the random serial numbers will make buyers pay more attention to condition, which they should have been doing all along.
Interesting philosophy, but it seems to ignore obvious advantages of newer evolving technology as it happens, such as parachrome springs or ceramic bezels etc. etc. Why should a consumer have to be a certified watchmaker to be able to assess the age of the watch or have some assurance that he is benefiting from the latest engineering?

When I buy a car, I have immediate transparency of its dating without having to do a forensic assessment of the engine components.
Old 24 July 2010, 02:23 PM   #13
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Let's put it this way: Whether it be 'new' or used, I know the production date or

I don't buy it. And I doubt I am the minority in that respect. Rolex had better take this seriously. I continue to doubt that it's even legal to obscure the production date of a product like an expensive watch.
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 02:59 PM   #14
VincentR
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day.. if Rolex does not want to expose production dates then thats up to them! There is no hard and fast rule. They are a lot more experienced and they have a much wider perpective, so they have decided to go with random serials. I think this is a good thing because it makes it harder on the counterfeiters to sell a watch saying its genuine. because people can not authenticate it anymore without taking it to RSC or AD.
VincentR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

I consider a V better than M better than Z, in much the same way I consider newer production dates in cars to be better. I won't buy a random serial number watch after 2010 unless there is some way to know the production date.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:14 PM   #16
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
Sound advice there!
pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:16 PM   #17
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
I consider a V better than M better than Z, in much the same way I consider newer production dates in cars to be better. I won't buy a random serial number watch after 2010 unless there is some way to know the production date.
I'm sure with time we should find a way to break the code
Old 24 July 2010, 03:24 PM   #18
GregWormald

I'm with springbar on this one.

Condition is much more important than date. If condition is in doubt--send it to Rolex to have an evaluation as a pre-condition of sale.

My 1680 has been regularly serviced and is presently accurate to 1 or 2 seconds a week--what's the problem with a 40 year old watch?

Some Rolex watches will sit in a dealer for 2 years but the warranty papers will say it's new. Is it new or old according to Rolex?

I suspect all of this is because Rolex doesn't just oil a watch--they do a complete service to bring it back to as new condition as possible, and they seem to do it well.

Greg
GregWormald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:25 PM   #19
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowzen View Post
Interesting philosophy, but it seems to ignore obvious advantages of newer evolving technology as it happens, such as parachrome springs or ceramic bezels etc. etc. Why should a consumer have to be a certified watchmaker to be able to assess the age of the watch or have some assurance that he is benefiting from the latest engineering?

When I buy a car, I have immediate transparency of its dating without having to do a forensic assessment of the engine components.
Knowing when a car was manufactured is in no way a substitute for examining its condition. This only becomes MORE so as the car (or car parts) get older.

Features with "obvious advantages" are, by definition, obvious. Ceramic bezels and most other feature changes do not require forensic analysis to discover.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 06:10 PM   #20
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
Just like many other codes... Someone will crack it..
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 07:04 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well with all the different brands of Swiss watches and other brands over the rest of the world that sell millions upon millions of watches yearly.Rolex is the only brand that I know of where this production code is deemed so important over the actual watch.And lets be honest here most S.steel models are not at ADs long enough to gather dust.And these codes are just a indication when a particular case was stamped.And not necessarily when a completed watch was shipped from Rolex Switzerland to the various ADs world wide.And I am 100% sure if most of you was say offered a vintage piece like say a 6263 you would not care a hoot when it might have been manufactured.Same for any other sort after model just cannot see the need to know when a case was estimated to be stamped by some Internet code.Who knows perhaps Rolex altered these code many years ago and the Internet code is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbar View Post
Knowing when a car was manufactured is in no way a substitute for examining its condition. This only becomes MORE so as the car (or car parts) get older.

Features with "obvious advantages" are, by definition, obvious. Ceramic bezels and most other feature changes do not require forensic analysis to discover.
Completely agree with you and regarding cars they could be stood in fields for perhaps months or even years.But when sold they get a new registration plate, and full manufactures warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 04:41 PM   #22
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWormald View Post
I'm with springbar on this one.

Some Rolex watches will sit in a dealer for 2 years but the warranty papers will say it's new. Is it new or old according to Rolex?
Well that's the problem... the world doesn't operate according to Rolex's philosophy of 'its all good'. I think if you are an end-user with no intention of selling - you can buy that.

However, anyone who might want to resell will probably take into consideration the marketplace's propensity to value something newer as better. Anyone, attempting to sell a watch without a serial number is usually barraged with queries for that very information.
Old 1 August 2010, 03:16 AM   #23
RolexCat

Watch: SD
My AD was happy about the ser number change. He said they have lost sales because someone wanted a Z code rather then a M code. I dont like it. Rolexs keep their value in the used market because of all the collectors. Without telling the dates, IMO, will hurt the used Rolex market. Ron
RolexCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 03:24 AM   #24
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexCat View Post
My AD was happy about the ser number change. He said they have lost sales because someone wanted a Z code rather then a M code. I dont like it. Rolexs keep their value in the used market because of all the collectors. Without telling the dates, IMO, will hurt the used Rolex market. Ron
Well said.

There it is lads, in a nutshell. This is for Rolex & authorized dealers benefit. They hope to avoid lost sales of new watches at retail. The secondary market impacts to them are...well, secondary at best!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 03:31 AM   #25
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Am I wrong to not care about production dates?

As long as all the paperwork is in order and the watch looks and run great that's all I care about.

Until I came here I never even knew about M, Z, and other serials.

Is an M different from a V in a meaningful way? Does an M not run as well as a V?
Old 1 August 2010, 03:53 AM   #26
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Most of the watches that I buy are pre-owned, its just not worth paying $1000 or much more for the same watch. I could give a rats behind about serial numbers on a watch, condition is key for me. For those of you who have to have all the goodies, so be it, but just remember, you often pay less for a watch without them. Which means more money in my pocket for the next watch! If I am at all concerned about authenticity, it's simple, I just don't buy the watch, there are plenty to choose from. For those of you concerned about value, the modern Rolex, will be worth a fraction of what today's current vintage are, so if you are concerned about value, buy vintage.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 03:59 AM   #27
Serge08
"TRF" Member

I would not do it.....
Serge08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 04:22 AM   #28
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
My unhandled pristine Z SD was better than the very shop worn M that I looked at when I got one last year. I think it's still in better shape now after many months of daily use. Things are not always black and white with these series dates.
Perhaps Rolex will offer a production date confirmation as a part of RSC service. It would probably increase RSC service profits with 2nd hand Rolexes.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 05:55 AM   #29
Edward-K
"TRF" Member

For me if i am going to buy a watch from my AD is means i will have him special order whatever it is - thats the only way to assure your not buying a watch that has been sitting in the case for years.
Edward-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2010, 05:59 AM   #30
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Most of the watches that I buy are pre-owned, its just not worth paying $1000 or much more for the same watch. I could give a rats behind about serial numbers on a watch, condition is key for me. For those of you who have to have all the goodies, so be it, but just remember, you often pay less for a watch without them. Which means more money in my pocket for the next watch! If I am at all concerned about authenticity, it's simple, I just don't buy the watch, there are plenty to choose from. For those of you concerned about value, the modern Rolex, will be worth a fraction of what today's current vintage are, so if you are concerned about value, buy vintage.
Scott
+3000
And you call that a nightmare, ya tosser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You just made it into the Tosser Hall of Fame, ya bastid tosser!!
Inducted 3/25/10
DRAWTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote