The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2019, 02:04 PM   #61
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I’m not a green person either. I don’t wear green clothing very often, but I wear my Hulk frequently. I love it and it will never leave my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 02:13 PM   #62
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I consider the raise in interest, the subsequent higher prices and the (temporary) less availability of the 116610LV / Hulk as a "passing event".....which is actually caused by the success of the Kermit/16610LV

A couple of years after its introduction in 2003 the Kermit / 16610LV showed a constant price increase over the years up till now and this still has not ended.

Untill 2-3 years ago the Hulk / 116610LV was widely immediately available with attractive discounts.

It seems to me that Rolex buyers interested in green models have noticed the considerable price increase of the Kermit (which was discontinued in 2010) from NOS $ 4.500 in 2003 to $ 22.000,- point four /, 26.000,- Fat Four and probably that they hope to see a repeat of the Kermit's tremendous price increase.

Imo this is a false hope as the history and reason of the 16610LV introduction (50 years anniversary of the Submariner) is unique and non repeatable with it's typical Submariner (o.a black matte dial) elements combined / stipulated with it's unique Rolex-green bezel.

The Hulk on the other hand was a simple / expected (standard) successor of the Kermit; not sharing it's unique heritage.

I believe that the price increase of the Hulk which took mainly place in an accelerating manner only during the last couple of years (in which on the other side the strong price increases of the Kermit were widely noticed by potential green buyers) therefore soon will fade as it is only more or less a simple, for some people attractive full green model.

They say production ration of Hulk is 1:50 in favor of SubBlack dial. There is rumor it might get discontinued any moment; then it might get the attention ... but true is the green is not for everyone nor is blue or brown .... on the other side buying a watch as pure investment one would put in a safe and not on wrist seems odd to me although there are many of such collectors ...

Old 1 April 2019, 02:18 PM   #63
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
My current "issue" is this - I've got the ceramic black sub date and just picked up the ceramic SDK 4000. Love both even though they "look the same" according to the girlfriend test. Should I sit pat knowing I love both, or move one for a hulk/diversity of color? Let's exclude the "keep both and get the hulk also" recommendation for now.

More info: I am not a big green person generally, and I think the only reason I am pining for the hulk now is because I already have the black covered. That is, I didn't start out wanting the green - I am only there now because of prior steps. In the back of my mind I am also thinking the hulk will be more valuable in the future than the standard black sub. That's not to say I don't see the hulk as beautiful, because I do. Just that it's not where I would have started if that makes sense.

I've read the threads and some are saying the hulk is too niche, or even they felt it was gimmicky with the sunburst (not trying to offend, just what I read). What I haven't heard are actual hulk owners who later regretted the hulk and felt it was too niche. Anyone got the hulk and felt it was not right for them? And why?

I'll be honest. I'd love to be convinced to do nothing (easiest and cheapest move!!). But if there are strong opinions on making a move for the hulk I'd like to hear that also.

I’m thinking 16710 for you. Don’t get what you already don’t like. Your sub is smaller then the SD and for that a better daily. However, Sd4k should NEVER leave a collection IMO - It is the greatest SS ceramic watch Rolex ever made (again, IMO). So you need to replace the Sub with another daily. If you like ceramic go 116710, if you can find one at reasonable cost. But again, I’d personally go 5 dig GMT.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 02:23 PM   #64
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
I’m thinking 16710 for you. Don’t get what you already don’t like. Your sub is smaller then the SD and for that a better daily. However, Sd4k should NEVER leave a collection IMO - It is the greatest SS ceramic watch Rolex ever made (again, IMO). So you need to replace the Sub with another daily. If you like ceramic go 116710, if you can find one at reasonable cost. But again, I’d personally go 5 dig GMT.

16710 2007 Z serial with 3186 mvnt on Jubilee ... that would be great choice ... have got mine F serial and live it / reminiscent slim case makes it dress watch too

Old 1 April 2019, 02:25 PM   #65
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Green is good, and an enigma. I once let a friend borrow mine with the intent of maybe selling it to him. Within a week I missed its unique personalities, and had to have it back.

...Get it
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 03:28 PM   #66
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Not everyone loves green... But it's truly awesome if you do. Try the watch first when you can.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 03:34 PM   #67
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I kind of grown to like it.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 03:56 PM   #68
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
Identical position to poster #4, except it seems the Hulk is not for you because you don’t like green. I couldn’t do a black Sub and SD. I agree enough with your gf. They are too similar looking. Do you have a dress or other interesting piece, e,g, DJ, Explorer, Milgauss? Consider it.
Playinwittime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 04:16 PM   #69
sharpshooter
"TRF" Member

If i can help the op
That's my combo

You can judje the hulk only if you wristed it.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 04:23 PM   #70
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Hulk - amazingly unique or too niche?

Handled one when I went to pick up my blnr a couple of weeks ago.

Too much green for my taste. People want it cause it’s hard to get. A couple of years ago they just collected dust.

I’d keep the SD4k and move the black sub for something different.

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 05:18 PM   #71
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

a bit too niche for me.
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 05:30 PM   #72
didyunt
Banned

Don't spend a fortune on what you don't like, Always buy what your heart desires.
didyunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 05:40 PM   #73
redguy
"TRF" Member

Call me Mr.Niche
IMG_1666.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 05:51 PM   #74
Wilmslow
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Go on Green!

Having got the black ceramic dial sub (Dec 2017) and then getting the Hulk (May 2018) - both retail price from AD in Manchester, UK, - THERE IS NO COMPARISON! I love my Hulk, wear it for special occasions (daily watch is 2002 Rolex GMT with Pepsi bezel) and it is a stunner. Those that know nothing about watches say "I like your watch" and those in the know say "Love your Hulk". It is and, (in my opinion), will always go up in value. If you can get one at a good price - I would say "go for it".
Wilmslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 05:51 PM   #75
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Notice how every owner has been wearing green with their hulk?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Looks alright with maroon...

Old 1 April 2019, 06:25 PM   #76
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I’m not a green person either. I don’t wear green clothing very often, but I wear my Hulk frequently. I love it and it will never leave my collection.

Same for me - I’m not even sure if I own any green clothes but my LV looks good with pretty much everything.

I often see comments on threads like these saying things like “you have to love green to have this watch” and it makes me laugh. Does black have to be your favourite colour if you buy a 114060? What about “it’s a cool watch if salmon is your favourite colour” when someone buys a BLRO? Also, never seen similar comments on green when someone rocks up with a green face gold GMT or Day Date.

When I was waiting for my LV I did wonder whether i would regret it because it might be “too wacky” but as soon as you wear it you know. Depending on the light it varies from subtle to glorious sunburst, but always beautiful. Two or so years on and it is my favourite watch in my small collection. Absolutely no regrets even though green is not my favourite colour.

My advice to the OP is get one - if you do end up hating it, plenty of people will happily take it off your hands, you won’t be out of pocket.

Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 07:18 PM   #77
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I loved it in the official pictures, I like green in general. I had been wanting one for some time. Tried it at the AD 4 years ago. Found it ghastly IRL. Devastated, had to pass.

Maybe it was the AD lighting, not sure but the sunburst green put me off. I would much prefer a non sunburst green. The bezel wasn't much better with a milky green hue, weird.

I felt kind of bad at the AD as I was so excited to see it but then had to tell the sales assistant it was not for me. Probably one of my biggest horological disappointment.

Although I never gave it a second thought, I'll be closely watching the next iteration if there ever is one. I think a deep darker dial and bezel under any lighting condition would work for me, ideally with a redesigned case as I'm not a fan of the supercase.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 07:25 PM   #78
Dana1
Banned

I don't see why you should buy what you can't appreciate each time you look at it. Hulk is a good piece to me.
Dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 09:28 PM   #79
jack0
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy a green car, green clothes or decorate my house green, but my first Rolex is a Hulk. I love the colour, looks different in every situation.
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 10:05 PM   #80
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Yes, they look the same BUT you and us know are NOT the same, I have a SD43 and a SubC, are my only 2 Rolexes and I know are differents, even for my wife they look the same.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 11:54 PM   #81
IR201
"TRF" Member

A lot of questions about other pieces in my collection, and indeed I didn't list some because I felt it irrelevant but that seems quite wrong now!

In addition to the SD4K and subC date black, I've got a BLNR and an Explorer 1 t-rex. Also have a speedy and blue SMPc.

So I feel I've got blue covered, but I've DEFINITELY also got black covered.

I'm not into dress watches (and would never wear them much anyway), and I'm actually much less a red guy than I am a green guy (so pepsi's and cokes do not appeal to me).

This is why I'm stuck. I honestly love both the black sub c and the sd4k. But it feels like some color is missing. Yet when I really think about it, I worry that this color variety thing is just an issue when staring into my watchbox and wanting to see more colors than it is about going through everyday life and lamenting not having more color variety (doesn't really happen). After all, I'm the same guy who went for all the black watches in the first place, right?

I am really appreciating all of the beautiful hulk pictures I am seeing but right now, based on advice here, I am leaning towards putting pause on this all and just living with the sub c and SD4K for awhile and seeing how that goes.

If I happen to stumble upon a hulk to try on in the meantime, let's see what happens...
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 12:02 AM   #82
hsr86
"TRF" Member

LVc all the way!!! Once you wear it, you will know. Pictures don’t do the watch justice. With the SD4K, perfect pair. Trade the SubLN. Go green!!!

hsr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 12:08 AM   #83
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Not a green person at all, and I hated the Hulk whenever I saw it in pictures. I just did not understand what all the fuss was about.

The minute I saw it in person at the AD, I knew I had to have it. When in wanting a DDII with blue dial back in the fall of '16, ended up falling for the Hulk and haven't thought about the DDII since.

It's an amazing watch, and is so different from all of the black dial (and bezel) watches out there.

Old 2 April 2019, 12:10 AM   #84
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
I had the black first and then added the hulk some months later. After much deliberation I decided I didn't need both. I chopped in the black for something else and kept the green.
So far at least I do not regret my decision. I love the hulk.
However it was always the hulk that I was initially after unlike yourself.
don't worry about future value and trust what you want to see on your wrist.
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 12:31 AM   #85
djyolky
Banned

That's a nice green Stella bottle you have there.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #86
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO

Flip the LN and get the LV to try it out. The LN sub is not going anywhere anytime soon. If you don’t like the LV, just sell it and buy another LN. Or, split the different and get a Kermit. You can easily pop a black bezel on it when you get tired of the green.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 01:49 AM   #87
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Maybe get something altogether different. Two subs and a SD seems silly IF they are your only watches. How about a Chronograph, or a classic DJ, or something different than a 40mm Rolex diver!
Old 2 April 2019, 02:17 AM   #88
F83
"TRF" Member

I love my Hulk but beauty is in the eye...
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #89
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

LV is my favorite watch to wear, it gets more wrist time than any others.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:49 AM   #90
RolliRolli
"TRF" Member

Not a big fan of the green myself.
RolliRolli is offline   Reply With Quote