The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 February 2020, 02:55 AM   #1
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Cartier Tank

I have been looking at and reading up on Cartier Tank’s. I am curious how many men wear classically sized tanks 25 or less in width, I tried on a quartz solo at 27mm width and while I like it I wonder if it is influenced by the larger watch trend. Comments or pictures?
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:24 AM   #2
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
I have a slightly larger, but discontinued Tank Louis Cartier XL from the CPCP line, and I love it. However, if I did not own that one, I would gladly own a current large Tank Louis Cartier which measures 33.7mm x 25.5 mm. The top photo shows my own Tank. The bottom photo shows the current large Tank, when I tried it on a few months ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Dino944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 09:12 AM   #3
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I find myself trending toward original design in most things I gain an interest in. So with my datejust I went with a 36mm, I got a 36mm oyster to scratch the Explorer itch because I like the better clasp and bracelet. So for the Cartier I like the smaller women’s size on paper because it seems most historically accurate, but the 25.5 Louis and the 27 solo large seem to fit the best and match the 70s Louis Jumbo so I feel good about that. I was just curious if any of our members rocked 23mm tanks. Here are pictures of each size and a gold one for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Dino944
"TRF" Member

I know/have known several Cartier Tank owners. I don't know any men that are wearing ones that are 23 mm. Most have something larger than that. Most sizes are very versatile and wearable for men.

I have only seen one Tank that didn't work for most people, and that was the Tank Louis Cartier XL (ultra flat), which was 40.4mm x 33mm. I even know people that bought 1, and sold it for more traditional sized Tanks or a CPCP Tank XL. I like non-round dress watches, and one thing I have learned about them is that they "Wear" much larger than their dimensions suggest. I regularly wear 5 digit Rolex professional models like the Sub, Daytona, Explorer II etc, and they are approximately 40mm in diameter. However, I could never wear a Tag Monaco and that is 39 x 39 mm.

Anyway, wishing you luck with whichever Tank you choose!
Old 13 February 2020, 07:01 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

On Friday got the Tank Solo XL for wife on bracelet, and we share timepieces so also just ordered a leather purple, a white, and a pink strap for her, plus a black and a Hermes orange for me. Yeah, it is a bit big, yet it's fine for us. Totally get the wanting smaller, but then the Tank is quartz movement and we don't do quartz watches here (unless it's a cheap Swatch or some other 'humorous' timepiece).

Best bet, try the Tank on at store and see how you like it. For me, i liked the classic look of the Solo XL. You could always go to the next level Cartier of course, yet that is the same movement i think for $2k more with square dial (also a classic imho).

Here's a pic of the Solo XL on wife's wrist (note: protective plastic still on crystal and they took too many links off during this fitting pic, since this pic they added one link back on so she fits great!).

Am dying here impatiently to see it on Hermes orange leather strap that is being shipped to me. HURRY UP LEATHER STRAP!!!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 07:17 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Love it and don't think it is too big. You ought to see my Drive on my puny wrist. I'd share it with the wife but she said she could not keep her current 3 watches wound as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
On Friday got the Tank Solo XL for wife on bracelet, and we share timepieces so also just ordered a leather purple, a white, and a pink strap for her, plus a black and a Hermes orange for me. Yeah, it is a bit big, yet it's fine for us. Totally get the wanting smaller, but then the Tank is quartz movement and we don't do quartz watches here (unless it's a cheap Swatch or some other 'humorous' timepiece).

Best bet, try the Tank on at store and see how you like it. For me, i liked the classic look of the Solo XL. You could always go to the next level Cartier of course, yet that is the same movement i think for $2k more with square dial (also a classic imho).

Here's a pic of the Solo XL on wife's wrist (note: protective plastic still on crystal and they took too many links off during this fitting pic, since this pic they added one link back on so she fits great!).

Am dying here impatiently to see it on Hermes orange leather strap that is being shipped to me. HURRY UP LEATHER STRAP!!!

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have a small-ish wrist, with 'average-to-smallish' top. Here's all angles for your visual pleasures. Hope this helps. i reeeeally love it! Verrrrrry comfy to wear too.

So, let's see pics of that Drive on your wrist :)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 13 February 2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Have a small-ish wrist, with 'average-to-smallish' top. Here's all angles for your visual pleasures. Hope this helps. i reeeeally love it! Verrrrrry comfy to wear too.

So, let's see pics of that Drive on your wrist :)

Congrats! That looks great on your wrist. enjoy it!
Old 13 February 2020, 10:04 AM   #9
axelbrass
"TRF" Member

I'm have smaller wrists and enjoy my Cartier Tank Solo 34.8mmx27.4mm Quartz in Rose Gold.

Very enjoyable watch to wear in the office. It just feels so different and yet very iconic. I notice people noticing it and have got complements on it.

Around the larger watch trend, it actually stands out more. I recently received a complement from a lady co-worker that on a having a classic style wearing a properly sized watch.
axelbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:12 AM   #10
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelbrass View Post
I'm have smaller wrists and enjoy my Cartier Tank Solo 34.8mmx27.4mm Quartz in Rose Gold.

Very enjoyable watch to wear in the office. It just feels so different and yet very iconic. I notice people noticing it and have got complements on it.

Around the larger watch trend, it actually stands out more. I recently received a complement from a lady co-worker that on a having a classic style wearing a properly sized watch.
The rose gold or yellow gold is where I find my heart going. Pictures of yours?
Old 13 February 2020, 11:19 AM   #11
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I agree with the comments that square watches tend to wear larger than their dimensions indicate. I think this is because we are all mostly familiar with round watches.

It may help to think of the area of a watch.
- A 40mm diameter watch has an area of 1257 square mm. The 39x39mm Monaco I think most would agree wears larger than a Sub. It has an area of 1521 square mm; 21% larger than a 40mm round. Another way to think of it is a 39x39 square case is the same area as a 44mm round case.

Of course this math isn’t perfect and many other factors influence perceived size, including the size/shape of lugs, thickness, material, finish, dial size etc.

Try on a few different sizes and figure out what you like best for your wrist. Doesn’t matter what others are wearing. I saw a picture of John Cena wearing a Batman and he made that thing look tiny. I guess what I’m saying is that the relative size of the watch and your wrist is more important than the absolute size of the watch when deciding what looks good to you.

Good luck!
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:43 PM   #12
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Personally, the Large (not Extra Large) manual wind Louis Cartier Tank would be the only current production Cartier Tank I would currently purchase. Unless you have a large wrist, it should fit okay.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Personally, the Large (not Extra Large) manual wind Louis Cartier Tank would be the only current production Cartier Tank I would currently purchase. Unless you have a large wrist, it should fit okay.
The only sizes currently available for a Tank Louis Cartier manual wind are Large or small. All XL versions of the Tank LC are out of production anyway.
Old 14 February 2020, 01:06 PM   #14
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

I find it kind of funny that the current large Louis manual wind is only 1mm bigger than the current women’s solo small. I don’t have deep enough pockets for the Louis manual, maybe a used Louis quartz, but part of me is tempted by the lady’s solo because it is closest in size to both vintage and current Louis models for men.
Old 14 February 2020, 05:38 PM   #15
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Well, at least one guy does. Here's my Tank Louis Cartier Privee 1601 - one of fifty - in Platinum w/WG deployant buckle. It's 30mm x 23.5mm on my 6.5" wrist.

Not a daily (obviously), but I'll wear when formal/black tie is required. Ultra-thin, small, classic, elegant, it's my compromise vs. going watchless, which "classically" some say is more correct. That said, for black tie optional, even if I'm in a tuxedo, I'll wear something with more presence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cartier Tank Paris Platinum 1601 web.jpg (253.0 KB, 1617 views)
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:05 PM   #16
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Well, at least one guy does. Here's my Tank Louis Cartier Privee 1601 - one of fifty - in Platinum w/WG deployant buckle. It's 30mm x 23.5mm on my 6.5" wrist.

Not a daily (obviously), but I'll wear when formal/black tie is required. Ultra-thin, small, classic, elegant, it's my compromise vs. going watchless, which "classically" some say is more correct. That said, for black tie optional, even if I'm in a tuxedo, I'll wear something with more presence.
Beautiful, pure class
Old 14 February 2020, 09:34 PM   #17
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know the Privee Tank LC XL in platinum was one of 50 pieces, but I was not aware that the classic size was made in such a small run. I thought they had produced more of them in the classic size. Looks great enjoy it!
Old 15 February 2020, 12:45 AM   #18
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think this looks great! This wrist shot is what makes me want the Womens sized solo because it is on 1mm larger in either direction tham this watch. But I feel silly even thinking about buying a watch that is specifically advertised as a woman's watch. I guess i care too much what other's will think.
Old 15 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #19
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

My wife gave me a Tank Solo XL last year, and its become another personal favorite. Strap changes really make it feel like a different watch

We found a Cartier red strap for it in Singapore last December also. Wore it as my Christmas watch
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:28 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love the strap change on XL, looks so classically elegant.

Old 16 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #21
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Beautiful, pure class
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
I know the Privee Tank LC XL in platinum was one of 50 pieces, but I was not aware that the classic size was made in such a small run. I thought they had produced more of them in the classic size. Looks great enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
I think this looks great! This wrist shot is what makes me want the Womens sized solo because it is on 1mm larger in either direction tham this watch. But I feel silly even thinking about buying a watch that is specifically advertised as a woman's watch. I guess i care too much what other's will think.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I love the look, too, and I don't think you should worry about it being advertised as a "women's watch"- that's really just about the size.

Now Cartier markets the "small" & "large" Tank Solo's to women & "large" & "extra large" to men, but when I bought mine (years ago), it was in the men's showcase. I just bought the size that I thought looked/worked best for me & how I wanted to wear that particular watch.
Old 16 February 2020, 01:08 PM   #22
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
when I bought mine (years ago), it was in the men's showcase. I just bought the size that I thought looked/worked best for me & how I wanted to wear that particular watch.
And this shows you’ve got a high watch-buying EQ
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 05:51 AM   #23
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Thx
Old 17 February 2020, 07:41 AM   #24
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Well, I was able to swing by the boutique and try on a bit more. To me I think the current Louis at 25.5 is the one, seems like the Louis keeps slimmer and/or more rounded case edges. They are also a little longer in proportion the there width which I think adds to the elegance. The small solo felt too small. So unless I take the vintage plunge looks like the Louis is the way to go. Dark brown strap is solo small 24mm, light brown is Louis 25mm, black strap is solo large both gold and stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 08:52 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks really good, did you get it?

Old 17 February 2020, 09:40 AM   #26
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Not this trip, this Louis model is hugely discounted when used. I think it’s 10k or so at the boutique and there are Four or five at local reputable dealers here in my area for 5.5 or less. Being honest too I have a little more saving to do now. If my employer has been honest with me I will become a partner at my firm(engineering) this November and would likely pick one up then for the occasion.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:36 AM   #27
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
Not this trip, this Louis model is hugely discounted when used. I think it’s 10k or so at the boutique and there are Four or five at local reputable dealers here in my area for 5.5 or less. Being honest too I have a little more saving to do now. If my employer has been honest with me I will become a partner at my firm(engineering) this November and would likely pick one up then for the occasion.
The large quartz gold model with date window is $9,750 at a boutique. I'm not really surprised that a store in your area with what I presumed are pre-owned pieces is selling them for $5.5 or less. There has never been as strong of a demand for men's quartz watches as their is for manual wind or automatic models. However, that is quite a savings if that is the model you like.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:52 AM   #28
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
The large quartz gold model with date window is $9,750 at a boutique. I'm not really surprised that a store in your area with what I presumed are pre-owned pieces is selling them for $5.5 or less. There has never been as strong of a demand for men's quartz watches as their is for manual wind or automatic models. However, that is quite a savings if that is the model you like.
Yea, I feel settled right now on that model, trying on all the sizes that are currently available. I admit the rose gold manual is a better watch but I don’t see myself forking out the extra cash for that one. The last box to tick is to track down an older 23.5 louis like Drstu’s and see that size/model in the flesh. They are about the same price for a gold model, so it will be between those two. .
Old 17 February 2020, 01:44 PM   #29
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Great wrist shots! You literally can't go wrong. Don't forget post pix when you've got it (whichever one it is)!
Old 18 February 2020, 12:01 AM   #30
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Love my Tank!
Pure class, IMO

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk