The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2021, 06:59 AM   #1
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

A $2 Tudor (trash or treasure?)

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know from my post (or lack thereof), I'm quite the novice and a non-collector of Rolex and the like. I'm a "picker" who occasionally in my travels of numerous yard sales, estate sales, storage locker auctions, etc. have come across and obtained a handful of authentic vintage Rolex watches over the years. That handful, most were ID'ed here on this forum by you all kind folks.

Today, I need help with another piece just purchased yesterday at an estate sale here in Jersey. I found it and a few other vintage watches in the $2 bin and was hoping for a little help in ID'ing.

From research, it appears to be a Tudor Rolex 7016/0(?) ref with a serial number starting with 624 and something inscribed just above that has worn away. Most of the info between the lugs is quite worn and hard to take a good image and/or read exactly what they say.

My question(s): any thoughts on the possibly era this piece was made in? The dial script appears to be quite different from others I found on the net, why is that? Last....... I don't have tools to open the caseback, but from what you all can see, does it appear to be authentic? If not, not a big deal, as stated, I don't have much into it.

Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799-001.jpg (75.4 KB, 2011 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0801-001.jpg (115.3 KB, 2016 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0802-001.jpg (62.5 KB, 2003 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0803-001.jpg (63.9 KB, 1996 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0804-001.jpg (118.6 KB, 2009 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0805-001.jpg (72.2 KB, 1992 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0806-001.jpg (72.1 KB, 1980 views)
JoJo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 07:50 AM   #2
GimmeTheLoupe
"TRF" Member

What a find! The dial is refinished and it’s rough but after a bit of work it could be a very cool piece with lots of character. Hopefully the movement isn’t toast
GimmeTheLoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 07:59 AM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

After pointed crown guard and before snowflake hands so 1963 to 1967, roughly.
Looks original but repaired poorly.
But still worth several thousand.
Best to look on ebay and see what they sell for.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 08:01 AM   #4
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Looks like someone tried to pry the case open with a screw driver and cracked the back.
Old 19 July 2021, 08:03 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is a prime piece to have restored. A full restoration (A few thousand dollars) will still cost less than its worth when done if you decide to take on the project.
Old 19 July 2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

What a find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A full restoration (A few thousand dollars) will still cost less than its worth when done if you decide to take on the project.
A few thousand for what exactly? Just get the movement serviced and make sure nothing is inside the dial.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 08:45 AM   #7
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What a find...

A few thousand for what exactly? Just get the movement serviced and make sure nothing is inside the dial.

Laser welding that case and case back where somebody tried to pry it open with a screwdriver and then having the dial restored
Old 19 July 2021, 09:36 AM   #8
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I truly hope the watch hasn't had water intrusion with that cracked caseback. That alone will tell you if the watch is salvageable or not, IMO. I hope you get lucky.
Old 19 July 2021, 09:41 AM   #9
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
I truly hope the watch hasn't had water intrusion with that cracked caseback. That alone will tell you if the watch is salvageable or not, IMO. I hope you get lucky.
Water or no water the watch can always be repaired. If a Tudor can take a bullet and still be repaired what's water

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 09:46 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It has lots of damage but it’s a real Tudor. 68-70 is my bet. Congrats. The dial Is bad. Insert replaced. Caseback cracked
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 11:00 AM   #11
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for your replies and thoughts! So happy to know that she's authentic!

To be honest with you all, I'm not sure if I'll take on the project of a full restoration. I'll take it to the watchmaker tomorrow and see what estimate he'll give in regards to a "service/overhaul". Hoping just to get the piece up and running correctly at the very least.

From what you all can see, what really needs to be done/replaced/restored? Maybe I can start a list and check off one at a time as per you alls suggestions.

Again, thank you all for your help!
Old 19 July 2021, 11:23 AM   #12
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo78 View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies and thoughts! So happy to know that she's authentic!

To be honest with you all, I'm not sure if I'll take on the project of a full restoration. I'll take it to the watchmaker tomorrow and see what estimate he'll give in regards to a "service/overhaul". Hoping just to get the piece up and running correctly at the very least.

From what you all can see, what really needs to be done/replaced/restored? Maybe I can start a list and check off one at a time as per you alls suggestions.

The case is damaged from someone trying to pry open the case back. Im sure there is no more water resistance. you will need to have case restoration done.
We still havent seen the inside so we have no idea the condition of the movement. It may be a rusted hunk of junk. The dial is badly repainted so a restoration of the dial is in order. Things will add up real quick but a $4000 total restoration will give you a $10,000+ watch

I would start with stabilizing the dial since there are bits floating around and getting the movement serviced, everything else is cosmetic.
Old 19 July 2021, 11:54 AM   #13
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your typical watch repair man will not be able to fix the case.
You will need to use some one that can do laser welding.
Old 19 July 2021, 12:21 PM   #14
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow! What a find. Please keep us updated on the status of this watch. I'd be very interested in following...........
Old 19 July 2021, 12:23 PM   #15
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Great find. Diamond in the (very) rough!
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:30 PM   #16
jmso786
"TRF" Member

Would love to see what's inside!
jmso786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 09:11 PM   #17
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The case is damaged from someone trying to pry open the case back. Im sure there is no more water resistance. you will need to have case restoration done.
We still havent seen the inside so we have no idea the condition of the movement. It may be a rusted hunk of junk. The dial is badly repainted so a restoration of the dial is in order. Things will add up real quick but a $4000 total restoration will give you a $10,000+ watch

I would start with stabilizing the dial since there are bits floating around and getting the movement serviced, everything else is cosmetic.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I am)........ but I thought you all (Rolex watch enthusiast/collectors) look down and/or shun vintage pieces that have been restored/polished/repaired/ etc. ???
Old 19 July 2021, 09:12 PM   #18
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for your kind replies and comments!
Old 19 July 2021, 09:18 PM   #19
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

I just wanted to add.... the case itself is not cracked, only the caseback has a slight crack & bend from the former owner prying.
Old 19 July 2021, 09:23 PM   #20
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

it honestly baffles me how people don't even bother to do just 1 minute of research on brands of watches before they sell.

amazing find! hope you can restore it
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 10:00 PM   #21
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I am)........ but I thought you all (Rolex watch enthusiast/collectors) look down and/or shun vintage pieces that have been restored/polished/repaired/ etc. ???
I think it's more that examples that haven't needed repair or restoration are more sought after. There is a level at which a watch needs to have work done to be saleable for a reasonable amount.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 10:03 PM   #22
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't get this polished. Just get the necessary fixed and that's it to be honest.

I would love to wear this.
Old 19 July 2021, 10:15 PM   #23
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
it honestly baffles me how people don't even bother to do just 1 minute of research on brands of watches before they sell.

amazing find! hope you can restore it

Thank you!

Baffles me as well, but I've gotten use to it over the years in my travels "picking". With an aging population, mostly the younger generation (my generation) don't really care about or never paid too much attention to when mom/dad/grandma/grandpa were telling them stories about particular old objects and how expensive they are or could be. Mostly my Gen just looks at the stuff as "junk" if it's not an electronic device. This is how I'm able to obtain a piece such as the Tudor for $2, or the Ming Dynasty bronze below for $6, or the thousands of year old artifacts and a 1920s-30s platinum & gold 9.72 ct. diamond men's ring for a few hundred dollars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0750-0010.jpg (111.1 KB, 1675 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0751-0010.jpg (117.5 KB, 1674 views)
File Type: jpg ARTIFACT0010.jpg (96.9 KB, 1664 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7267-0010.jpg (87.7 KB, 1666 views)
Old 19 July 2021, 10:16 PM   #24
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
I think it's more that examples that haven't needed repair or restoration are more sought after. There is a level at which a watch needs to have work done to be saleable for a reasonable amount.
Understandable and thank you!
Old 19 July 2021, 10:16 PM   #25
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't get this polished. Just get the necessary fixed and that's it to be honest.

I would love to wear this.
Most appreciated, thank you!
Old 19 July 2021, 10:34 PM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!

Baffles me as well, but I've gotten use to it over the years in my travels "picking". With an aging population, mostly the younger generation (my generation) don't really care about or never paid too much attention to when mom/dad/grandma/grandpa were telling them stories about particular old objects and how expensive they are or could be. Mostly my Gen just looks at the stuff as "junk" if it's not an electronic device. This is how I'm able to obtain a piece such as the Tudor for $2, or the Ming Dynasty bronze below for $6, or the thousands of year old artifacts and a 1920s-30s platinum & gold 9.72 ct. diamond men's ring for a few hundred dollars.
How did you discover it was from the Ming dynasty, so that's a $$.$$$ amount museum piece?
Old 19 July 2021, 11:27 PM   #27
offrdmania

Quote:

It’s ok when there is that much damage and when you have lost water resistance
Old 20 July 2021, 12:21 AM   #28
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How did you discover it was from the Ming dynasty, so that's a $$.$$$ amount museum piece?
I got into the Asian (Chinese) market a couple years after the 2008 economic crisis. Antiques and fine art from Europa took a downturn shortly after the crisis and the only thing that was moving upward then was Asian works of art. So, with a lot of studying, trial/error, I was able to "train my eye" for the what is and what isn't within that field. I'm no expert by any means, but I know enough to move me ahead of most other "pickers".

I was offered four-figures for the bronze figure, but turned it down. One can almost always make some sort of cash, but figures such as the one here don't always come to the block so to speak. I was also offered four-figures for that silver ring (it use to belong to the dudes father linked below) by an antiquities dealer, but turned that down as well (low-baller). Sadly, the former owner(s) had no idea what it was and polished the thing to deaf to make it look all pretty and shiny. Now, it's sitting in the safe deposit box hoping to regain its thousands of years of patina back :)

Link: https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5425300
Old 20 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #29
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s ok when there is that much damage and when you have lost water resistance

Thank you!

I'm leaving later today in hopes of a decent estimate on a service. Hopefully, the movement isn't toast as some else stated.
Old 20 July 2021, 12:35 AM   #30
offrdmania

Quote:
Thank you!

I'm leaving later today in hopes of a decent estimate on a service. Hopefully, the movement isn't toast as some else stated.
Its a basic movement in there so a service should be very reasonable. A few hundred im guessing as long as there isnt rust or major damage.