The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 August 2021, 12:42 AM   #1
Rolesor_66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, FOIS,
Increase Popularity On VC Oversea 4500V Blue

I'm going straight to my point.

I can not believe a VC Oversea Blue dial is on backorder for six months+ and deposits are not accepted at this moment. I recently visited the Hudson Yard WOS just learnt about the Rolex 'Exhibition Only' models then I started paying more attention to the general watch news. It's unbelievable to fathom that how much consumer's value consciousness has changed in the past 18 months. As I dig deeper into the general steelwatch frenzy, this 4500v was released in 2016 and it has always been criticized with non-hacking seconds and anyone is able to get it from an authorized dealer with up to 15 to 20% off. I just don't understand who's buying all the watches these days? And how is it possible that black dial or silver dial is still available and blue dial is allocated only? What happens when the blue dial becomes impossible to get and the black dial will be the next allocated only?
Rolesor_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:02 AM   #2
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

So the Rolex frenzy has overspilled into other high-line brands with steel sports watches. Can't say I'm surprised this is happening. I agree, black overseas is likely the next allocation only VC.

With AP and PP also pretty much out of play, what is the next sports watch to go hot?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:04 AM   #3
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

FYI, black and silver are also getting harder to get, even from the boutique. The black is almost unavailable as well from what I have heard. It probably won't be long before they don't take deposits for any 4500.
Vacheron only makes around 20k watches a year. That might sound like a lot, but consider the fact that they are part of the holy trinity. Patek makes 3x that and try getting a steel watch from them.
With all the diverse models in the line up, there are only a few thousand annual production of the entire overseas line up, even fewer to the time only 4500v, and probably only a few hundred made per dial color, per year.
That is absolutely nothing, production wise.
The world is very big and there are a lot of people with money to spend.
Also, a few years ago, 20k was a lot of money for a watch and the options were very diverse. Today, 20k is almost entry level for swiss-made.
When a basic steel Rolex is now 20k (because most people can't get them new), it makes you think... there are probably much better options out there for the money - Do I buy a 20k used Hulk or a 22k Vacheron overseas with bracelet and 2 straps?
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:05 AM   #4
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Its an interesting time to be in. Several people can see the writing on the wall that western currencies will devalue rapidly due to reckless govt spending so are looking to secure assets. Also the increased wealth and desire for all things luxury in Asia. This in turn is fueling shortages driving prices and demand higher. This adds to FOMO. The VC overseas was an under appreciated watch for a long time and nobody can predict future market values, will they hold? Who knows. At MSRP most watches are a decent deal... at grey its up to you what its worth.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:13 AM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
So the Rolex frenzy has overspilled into other high-line brands with steel sports watches. Can't say I'm surprised this is happening. I agree, black overseas is likely the next allocation only VC.

With AP and PP also pretty much out of play, what is the next sports watch to go hot?
This ^^^

I never really understood the love of the blue dial in the overseas collection. In my opinion it’s one of the worst looking blue dials around. Rolex, AP, Patek and even JLC have much better looking blues IMHO. Having said that VC is an awesome brand with a great heritage. I highly recommend them.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:28 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
This ^^^

I never really understood the love of the blue dial in the overseas collection. In my opinion it’s one of the worst looking blue dials around. Rolex, AP, Patek and even JLC have much better looking blues IMHO. Having said that VC is an awesome brand with a great heritage. I highly recommend them.
+1

In a weird twist I have warmed up to the CB whose blue dial is made by the same dial maker. Been thinking of myself as quite rational. Maybe not...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:31 AM   #7
Yukinoes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
Historically underappreciated watch that is finally getting the attention it deserves after demand from the typical Rolex/AP/PP spilled over.

The 4500V offers amazing value for money given its strap system and is the best blue dial sport watch in my eyes. Miles better than my blue 5711 and AP15400.
Yukinoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 07:30 AM   #8
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This ^^^

Interesting you think that way about the blue dial. Have you seen it in person? The pictures do it zero justice. It is so dark and then when light hits it just right, it completely transforms. Best way to describe it is that is very deep blue with a black base.
Old 5 August 2021, 07:34 AM   #9
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Pic for reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2021, 07:35 AM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Interesting you think that way about the blue dial. Have you seen it in person? The pictures do it zero justice. It is so dark and then when light hits it just right, it completely transforms. Best way to describe it is that is very deep blue with a black base.
Absolutely. I owned it. I just couldn’t do it. I ended up getting the silver one. By far my favorite of the line. I absolutely love blue. Just not that blue.

Instagram - patton250
Old 5 August 2021, 07:38 AM   #11
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely. I owned it. I just couldn’t do it. I ended up getting the silver one. By far my favorite of the line. I absolutely love blue. Just not that blue.
Silver is stunning! Also love the black. Such a great watch in any configuration!
Old 5 August 2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Silver is stunning! Also love the black. Such a great watch in any configuration!
Yes but my favorite blue is that one in your avatar. AP absolutely nails it. Big time. They are the best blue IMHO.

Instagram - patton250
Old 5 August 2021, 09:09 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can believe it. As noted when a Pepsi or Hulk is 20k us and a Daytona is 30k plus there are bound to be people smart enough to snatch up a VCO.
Old 5 August 2021, 12:01 PM   #14
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Looking at the praise its been getting in social media over the past 2 years its actually a surprise its taken so long for it to trade at a premium. I think we are just in the beginning of a trend which just started to gain momentum. Given the small production volumes this watch will probably trade at an almost as high premium as an AP in 2-3 years time. If I speculated in watches, which I don't, it would be one of my top picks.
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 04:00 PM   #15
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
FYI, black and silver are also getting harder to get, even from the boutique. The black is almost unavailable as well from what I have heard. It probably won't be long before they don't take deposits for any 4500.
I was speaking with the boutique here in Australia about a week ago and all this years allocation for black and blue is spoken for and they only had one silver dial remaining this year.

If allocation is spoken for they can place you on the wishlist. When they receive their allocation for the next year they go through by date they placed people on the wishlist and ask for a deposit. I didn't ask how much deposit they wanted but have heard anywhere between thirty and fifty per cent. If you place a deposit you are guaranteed a watch. Once the allocation for the year is spoken for they contact the rest of the people on the wishlist and ask if they want to stay on there or be taken off.

They did say they were unsure if this system would remain in place in future as they have never experienced such high demand for their watches. They did say that they can guarantee that purchase history does not make any difference to when you move up the list and that although head office could change how the wishlist works in future they were of the opinion that it won't affect people already on there. They were adamant that Vacheron wants people to be able to get a watch no matter their history with the brand.

They also said if you want a black dial it is going to be a lot quicker than the blue and that silver is by far the quickest. I am happy to wait two or three years for the blue dial as this is the only watch from the Holy Trinity that I like. The fact I don't need to buy other models (which I don't have the budget for) is icing on the cake.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 05:21 PM   #16
DGB
"TRF" Member

Have you tried the e-boutique on their website?

I got a blue one in less than 6 months.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 05:41 PM   #17
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Have you tried the e-boutique on their website
That was ringing the number on their website. There is no eboutique for Australia, they just pass your details on to the only boutique in the country (located in Melbourne) and they contact you.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 05:45 PM   #18
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Have you tried the e-boutique on their website?

I got a blue one in less than 6 months.

I think you caught a really lucky break, basically using an option other people had not thought of. Given that you posted this here a few times now I'm sure that window is properly closed by now.
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 08:16 PM   #19
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

It is a great house, more than 260 years of archives and creations, hand finishes, and characteristics of the Overseas convincing and above the RO / PP.

The production volume is far from the industrialists, guarantee of a form of exclusivity. So why could we get one by snapping our fingers when we walked into a store, with a 20% discount? What is your problem ? Is this the case in the Trinity?

I am very happy that VC receives finally the deserved intention. It's only justice.
I think the 4500v follows the logical route of saints unavailable...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 09:57 PM   #20
donald83
"TRF" Member

Increase Popularity On VC Oversea 4500V Blue

Just to share. I went to the boutique in May to make a 50% deposit for the black dial.

I just received my watch 2 weeks ago and wow. I was blown away by it. They told me they no longer accept anymore deposits.

The quality is top notch

donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:18 PM   #21
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the black. Looks to me like the instagram crowd have decided to jump on this watch because its blue, without seeing it in the flesh.
Never owned a VC but I do like the Fiftysix, in blue funnily enough. Looks a less Nightclubby shade of blue if you know what I mean!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:27 PM   #22
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Vacheron is a great brand. They really picked them up recently. Plus I think its a great value for money.

Luckily I owned. I will rate them 3rd in trinity (Patek, Audemars, Vacheron).
Old 5 August 2021, 11:31 PM   #23
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
That is a stunning reference and is deserved the hotness and price action in this crazy watch market.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 12:11 AM   #24
donald83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
I prefer the black. Looks to me like the instagram crowd have decided to jump on this watch because its blue, without seeing it in the flesh.
Never owned a VC but I do like the Fiftysix, in blue funnily enough. Looks a less Nightclubby shade of blue if you know what I mean!

You are referring to this?

donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 01:54 AM   #25
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
You are referring to this?

Yes, never seen one in the flesh though but they look my cup of tea. I have seen the grey dial one in Harrods in London but not a blue.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 03:13 AM   #26
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Sold my blue for 30k. Stunning blue dial but was not wearing that often. Only dislike I had was non hacking seconds. I would expect that with a 7 k jlc reverso but not with a 21k Geneva seal watch .
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:43 AM   #27
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I am lucky to own a lot of watches...many of them costing well more than the blue 4500v...yet the 4500v is on my wrist more than any other.

The versatility of the easy strap changes, the gorgeous blue dial, the easy to read dial, the size and comfort...it's a winner all around and frankly I just think it was overlooked because people were not aware of the piece or hadn't seen one in person or tried one on...many just went and got a Rolex...people love to follow the crowd and be told what to do.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:37 AM   #28
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
Just to share. I went to the boutique in May to make a 50% deposit for the black dial.

I just received my watch 2 weeks ago and wow. I was blown away by it. They told me they no longer accept anymore deposits.

The quality is top notch

Gorgeous! The black dial is my favorite of the bunch.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 06:58 PM   #29
Northlove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many

Northlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 09:41 PM   #30
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I own the black dial and after comparing it to my 116710LN I quickly got rid of the Rolex. I have a number of other black dialed watches but none come close to the depth and richness of this oily black of the VCO.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote