The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2021, 07:54 AM   #1
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch Winder … Yes ? No ?

Do you use a Watch Winder with your Rolex watches ?

Every Rolex I own is stored in a WW … I’ll often go 2-3 months without wearing a particular watch … and was told long ago, by the AD, that a GOOD WW will keep the watch “lubricated” by moving the watch / oil around.

The first Rolex I ever bought (30 years ago) stays in the WW all but 1-2 days a year … it was serviced last 25 years ago … and keeps perfect time.

I’m a fan of Watch Winders … based on my personal history.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:00 AM   #2
sah
"TRF" Member

Watch: OmegaPO, Sub
I’m not sure you need to keep moving the watch for lube purposes. If that is the reason for the winder, I would pass and let it hibernate.

I used mine for convenience of not setting the time. I rotate 3 watches, changing twice a day to twice a week. I like to grab one and put it on without fiddling with the crown.
sah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:00 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
No, because I enjoy the bonding experience of winding my watches.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:06 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
No, because I enjoy the bonding experience of winding my watches.
Ditto
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:06 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Yes have several winders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:29 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

No

If you want, once a month, or every other, work the movement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:13 AM   #7
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
The only purpose of a watch winder is to keep it wound and running, should you like to rotate between wearing different watches without the hassle of resetting the time.

That said, the idea that a watch winder "keeps the movement lubricated" or is somehow beneficial for the movement long-term is nonsense. When the movement is running, there is some small amount of wear occurring, plain and simple. If you don't plan on wearing the watch for extended periods of time, there is no reason to keep it on a winder.

Specifically, in talking with a local Rolex certified watchmaker, the 31XX series movements with the jeweled rotor axle are susceptible to damage if they are worn or wound on a winder after the axle lubrication has degraded over time. This typically occurs after 10+ years. The rotor axle will begin to run dry, causing the axle to grind against the axle jewel, which causes the axle to narrow and allow the rotor to flop up and down. This in turn allows the rotor to scrape against the top of the movement plates, causing even more damage (both cosmetic and mechanical).

Rolex has since changed to using ball-bearing rotors, which should serve to mitigate this issue (to an extent).
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:22 AM   #8
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The Watch Winder debate. I don't think modern watches need the lube to be spread around so I think the constant running is excessive wear. Can also wear out the mechanism that prevents overwind of the watch. I own one, but don't believe you need one.
Old 24 August 2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Plebs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post

Every Rolex I own is stored in a WW … I’ll often go 2-3 months without wearing a particular watch … and was told long ago, by the AD, that a GOOD WW will keep the watch “lubricated” by moving the watch / oil around.

The first Rolex I ever bought (30 years ago) stays in the WW all but 1-2 days a year … it was serviced last 25 years ago … and keeps perfect time.

Yes, I have been using Wolf watch winders for all my pieces not just Rolex. Makes for a great display too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:50 AM   #10
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The reality is there is no statistically valid conclusion that can be drawn. Some have kept watches on winders for decades with no problems. Some watchmakers claim that additional wear can occur. Personally, I only use a winder on a watch with significant complications that take time to reset.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #11
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

The sound of my watch winders relaxes me much like an ocean breeze.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:36 AM   #12
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
No.

My automatic Tudor Submariner is my daily wear. No need for one.

My Citizen Eco Drive dress watch for Sundays, etc. does not need a winder.

My Casio Illuminator for yard work, etc. has a battery. No need for one.
Old 24 August 2021, 12:42 PM   #13
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I posted this in part to get your thoughts on … good for vs. not good for …
I have heard both arguments, and believe in the validity of both.

I’d be curious what Rolex advises for a watch that is worn 2 times a year.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:18 PM   #14
new_yorker917
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post
The only purpose of a watch winder is to keep it wound and running, should you like to rotate between wearing different watches without the hassle of resetting the time.

That said, the idea that a watch winder "keeps the movement lubricated" or is somehow beneficial for the movement long-term is nonsense. When the movement is running, there is some small amount of wear occurring, plain and simple. If you don't plan on wearing the watch for extended periods of time, there is no reason to keep it on a winder.

Specifically, in talking with a local Rolex certified watchmaker, the 31XX series movements with the jeweled rotor axle are susceptible to damage if they are worn or wound on a winder after the axle lubrication has degraded over time. This typically occurs after 10+ years. The rotor axle will begin to run dry, causing the axle to grind against the axle jewel, which causes the axle to narrow and allow the rotor to flop up and down. This in turn allows the rotor to scrape against the top of the movement plates, causing even more damage (both cosmetic and mechanical).

Rolex has since changed to using ball-bearing rotors, which should serve to mitigate this issue (to an extent).
new_yorker917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 02:08 PM   #15
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Quote:
I posted this in part to get your thoughts on … good for vs. not good for …
I have heard both arguments, and believe in the validity of both.

I’d be curious what Rolex advises for a watch that is worn 2 times a year.
Why do you only wear that watch twice per year? Life seems too short to wear a watch you own so infrequently I feel
Farsh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 02:12 PM   #16
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsh14 View Post
Why do you only wear that watch twice per year? Life seems too short to wear a watch you own so infrequently I feel
Depends on how many watches you have? My tourbillon only comes out on special occasions!!
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 02:18 PM   #17
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
I have one, but only keep 2 of my watches on it because I don’t like messing with the date function on those particular pieces. The others I enjoy winding and setting before wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 03:18 PM   #18
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
If you an enthusiast with multiple watches that you actually wear instead of collecting, investing, taking pics, Instagramming, etc. then you will need a proper winder. That way you can grab one, wear it, and go.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 03:55 PM   #19
tike71
"TRF" Member

For those of you who have winders, do you keep them in a safe?
tike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:24 PM   #20
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
The Orbita's that I own operates on lithium batteries and fit nicely in my safe.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:30 PM   #21
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Do you also leave the car running in the garage? You essentially put alot of milage on your watches, and for max a date complication is becomes unnecessary
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:54 PM   #22
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
No watch winder for me. I keep them in their original box.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 05:18 PM   #23
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Do you also leave the car running in the garage? You essentially put alot of milage on your watches, and for max a date complication is becomes unnecessary
The car analogy is so old and lame, it's nothing at all like that. It's not unnecessary if you own multiple watches that you actually wear and also for additional complications such as annual calendar and moonphase.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 05:24 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

The only winder any Rolex watch needs is the ones attached to your arms called wrists. In over 50 year's of wearing Rolex watches never felt the need for one of these machine winder things. But if you have lost the use of your fingers or have a watch with many many complications which no Rolex has, then perhaps one could be a convenience. If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand. If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time?.

All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, nicknames, timegraphers, alignment points, machine winders, protective film, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 06:02 PM   #25
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Simple answer No 1......
NO ! Rolex don't maker a watch that needs a winder. They do not make any grand complication watches at all.

Simple answer No 2......
I have 4 watchwinders made by Acattola in Italy. They are all in use for watches with perpetual calendars.

Simple answer no 3......
The winders i have for my rolex watches are manafuctured by my Mum originally and cared for by me .. They are called wrists. That's all thats needed for a Rolex.

If Rolex thought Winders were a good idea they would sell them themselves. They have all the distribution and sales channels they need to do that but still they don't That should tell you something.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 06:45 PM   #26
fania123
"TRF" Member

I keep my watches on winders because I want them ready to go when I am.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:08 PM   #27
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

Been using watch winders for as long as I can remember. I have issues at all.
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:11 PM   #28
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post

But, but, but ----- the AD said so!
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:35 PM   #29
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Outside of anecdotal comments ("he said, she said" stuff), there is simply no concrete evidence one way or the other that winders are either good or bad for your watch.

On one side you always get the, "you wouldn't leave your car running" analogy (which is not even an accurate analogy) and the, "your wrists are the best winder" comments. And on the other you get the, "winders reduce wear on the keyless works / winding stem and the risk of cross threading the crown" and "they keep the lubricants moving" comments.

All I can say from personal experience is this -

a) Winders are a convenience, but I only use them when a watch is in rotation. I tend to have 2 or 3 watches in my rotation at any time, so keeping them going is very handy. However, when a watch is out of rotation I let it stop. I also make sure a watch isn't on a winder 24/7, so for example if a watch is on a winder during the day, I take it off the winder at night as that mimics my own wear pattern.

b) I have seen no difference whatsoever in service intervals or service costs between the periods when I have used winders and when I haven't.

My advice - if you want the convenience of "pick up and go" then use them, but (like so much in life) moderation is the key.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:44 PM   #30
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I keep mine in winders in the safe. Sometimes I remember to switch the winders on, sometimes I don't. I wear every watch I own in rotation. I prefer (when possible) to not have to wind them and set them every time I put one on. I wouldn't strongly argue either for or against winders. Personal choice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote