The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #1
Guyidan
"TRF" Member

AD: Not taking orders for few years (?)

Hey,

Looking for a daydate, went to an AD here where I live, told me since last week were not taking any orders for any watch except the 36 DD.

He seemed very nervous, almost like he was forced to lie, so offered even to bundle with a different watch, he then went to explain that they stopped taking orders just cause the lack of watches and they don’t want to take customers money and have them wait 3 years.

I’m new in Miami so not relationship with the specific AD, but wondered if there’s anyone here that has good relationship with an AD and can confirm that they’re really not gonna take orders for a couple of years?
As if that the case, might as well just go back gray market now.

Thanks!!
Guyidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:17 AM   #2
dannyp
Banned

Had a dealer tell me recently that they'd stopped taking deposits a couple of years ago, but not that they'd stopped taking/placing orders.

I would imagine that as much as a customer service issue, this is an accounting issue. Could make revenue recognition a pain, and in the current climate, possibly even require them to place funds in a proper escrow account (lots of deposits + multi-year waits + possibility of going under/losing Rolex line).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:21 AM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
my AD guy told me that rolex is going to close its business in 2 years time, glad i've already got my daytona.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:21 AM   #4
Master_Grogu
Banned

Think for a second. Would somebody with a million $ spend history, coming with her son and daughter wanting to order 2 DD in YG and RG for her precious spoiled little kids, would have gotten the same reply?
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:24 AM   #5
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Hmmm then where are all 'incoming' post watches coming from? If you buy other watches or jewelry from the AD, they will sell you watches. There is just too much demand to sell to newbies, they do not want to piss off their good clients
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:50 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Hmmm then where are all 'incoming' post watches coming from? If you buy other watches or jewelry from the AD, they will sell you watches. There is just too much demand to sell to newbies, they do not want to piss off their good clients
The OP didn't say "no deliveries" for several years, just no "special order + deposit" for the past few years.
Old 26 August 2021, 03:53 AM   #7
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Yes its 99% true. Day Dates are no longer orderable and previously were. I believe the same is true for DJ 36 41s

The 1% bullshit is that the restriction is for 2 years. I'm sure nobody, even rolex, don't know what the hell is happening in 2 years.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:57 AM   #8
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Yeah this is insane.

I sold a Rolex, bought an Omega, but was still fine and happy with Rolex. I ordered a two tone Datejust 36 3 months ago, and put a deposit down.

3 are over and I was told that it could take 2 more months.

Love the watches, they are great, and beautiful, but I am sorry, I picked up my money and called it an attempt.

If they ever have watches again, I'll try to buy one.

But I'm not going to let the AD sit on my money for half a year almost. Hell no.

There are other watches to be bought, or simply other things to do with money.
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 03:58 AM   #9
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
I also forgot to mention, I went to about 4 ADs in different cities over the course of a week, during a road trip.

None of them had anything.

Maybe a pearl master, or a platinum day date and that's it.

Absolutely ridiculous.
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 04:08 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Yes its 99% true. Day Dates are no longer orderable and previously were. I believe the same is true for DJ 36 41s

The 1% bullshit is that the restriction is for 2 years. I'm sure nobody, even rolex, don't know what the hell is happening in 2 years.
I think that what the OP meant is that either 1) AD had stopped taking deposits on orders a few years ago and/or 2) AD wouldn't take deposits now on watches they thought might take years to deliver.

I don't think that the AD was saying they were stopping with new deposits/orders for the next few years.
Old 26 August 2021, 04:31 AM   #11
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

In an earlier thread, many confirmed that they've also been told Rolex is not accepting orders at the moment while they work to fulfill the existing backlog. That policy could change at any time though
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 04:34 AM   #12
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Grey dealers rubbing their hands

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 10:01 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The story does get morphed with each telling.

My nearby AD said no special orders larger than 36mm. He and his partner own the shop. Said Rolex won’t book the order for them.

Are boutiques treated the same?
Don’t know since I haven’t been in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:36 AM   #14
Asumer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN - BLK
100% confirm what OP is saying, I asked a few times about a ND sub at ben bridges at la jolla UTC in San Diego. Each time its the same answer, we can't put you on the waiting list for 2 years. So basically you cannot buy any ss rolex model from them. I made the mistake of moving to san diego area a year ago so I have no history with these ADs, royal maui the AD nearer to my house got dropped by rolex late last year, so there are 2 rolex ADs in San Diego county with a population of 3M+ and neither will sell any ss rolex to anyone new for 2 years.
Asumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:53 AM   #15
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asumer View Post
100% confirm what OP is saying, I asked a few times about a ND sub at ben bridges at la jolla UTC in San Diego. Each time its the same answer, we can't put you on the waiting list for 2 years. So basically you cannot buy any ss rolex model from them. I made the mistake of moving to san diego area a year ago so I have no history with these ADs, royal maui the AD nearer to my house got dropped by rolex late last year, so there are 2 rolex ADs in San Diego county with a population of 3M+ and neither will sell any ss rolex to anyone new for 2 years.
You should consider driving up to Carmel. Fourtane's main location is taking new customers, and then you could use the purchase history at their SD branch.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 04:49 AM   #16
jerseyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
I also forgot to mention, I went to about 4 ADs in different cities over the course of a week, during a road trip.

None of them had anything.

Maybe a pearl master, or a platinum day date and that's it.

Absolutely ridiculous.
At this point the dealers should just remove the showcases until either supply strengthens or demand wanes.
jerseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 05:20 AM   #17
fastrack1
Banned

I am on a waiting list at my AD for any sport watch in 41mm or above. I put myself on the waiting list for a Starbuck Sub 2 months ago and picked it up two weeks ago. AD doesn't act like I will or won't get a call on another one, but there was no issue getting on a list and it has already worked once for me.
fastrack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 05:26 AM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyb View Post
At this point the dealers should just remove the showcases until either supply strengthens or demand wanes.

Can’t do that. Rolex contract requires the cases be there.

The AD can buy the display model set. But if RUSA won’t allow ordering, that’d be a bit silly.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 05:32 AM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyb View Post
Ive seen that happen. Its called Rolex taking the franchise away from the AD...A heartbeat later, no cases or signs, etc...
Old 27 August 2021, 05:41 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Can’t do that. Rolex contract requires the cases be there.

The AD can buy the display model set. But if RUSA won’t allow ordering, that’d be a bit silly.

Or simply deciding to hold, vs sell, some inventory. Same thing essentially.
Old 27 August 2021, 06:22 AM   #21
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
my AD guy told me that rolex is going to close its business in 2 years time, glad i've already got my daytona.
lol
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 06:30 AM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The AD simply don't need or want to manage any more new business requests.

It's just a nicer way to say, NO.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 06:40 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The AD simply don't need or want to manage any more new business requests.

It's just a nicer way to say, NO.

Yea guys, this is the simple truth. They just didn’t want to hurt your feelings.
I was told last week by my SA I could “order” an OF Daytona , no money down. Rolex hasn’t stopped making watches …

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 06:45 AM   #24
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
Went to my AD yesterday (Chicago suburbs) with my son who has cash in hand and is ready to buy any sports model. I told him before we went that the AD will tell us they have nothing available (except a handful of ladies models no one wants). Sure enough, the multiple Rolex cases in the store were 99% empty - they had 6 ladies models that have been sitting there for over a year.

Talked to my guy who sold me my Sub and Tudor. He said they are not taking orders on any Rolex models and we should plan on waiting over 2 years for even a chance to buy something - no waitlist anymore either.

I asked him why Rolex would allow such a negative impact on their business - virtually empty cases with no hope in sight to sell a Rolex to anyone. He said Rolex only makes 1,000.000 watches per year for the entire world and because of the COVID shutdown, they are way behind schedule in getting watches made.

Again, this is what he told me - could be 100% true - 50% true or total BS.

Of course, he had plenty of stock on Tudor, Omega, Tag, etc.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 12:04 PM   #25
kittansett
"TRF" Member

AD owner said he is up 103 % to date from Rolex sales. So don't feel sorry for the AD. Empty cases means everything is sold with profit at full price.
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 12:06 PM   #26
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
So the greys want us to think…
Old 27 August 2021, 12:08 PM   #27
992Guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraCrispy View Post

Of course, he had plenty of stock on Tudor, Omega, Tag, etc.
FOMO

Simple people want what they perceive they can’t have!
992Guy is offline   Reply With Quote