The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 October 2021, 05:19 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Whats are some of the most versatile (factory) watches?

I am a big fan of the vacheron overseas line (who isn't) and one thing I love is that you can take an overseas and VC makes leather, metal, and rubber bracelets for it. Are there any other watch brands that offer that level of versatility from the factory (e.g. not putting on a rubber B)? I know the Cartier Roadster used to be offered with metal, rubber, and leather straps, so something along those lines? Cartier has a large Santos (the ALDC with the metal bracelet) that comes with a second rubber strap and you could in theory buy a black leather strap from Cartier to add, so something along those lines. Am I missing anything?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #2
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Just to clarify I mean versatile I’m going from leather to rubber to metal bracelets. Not versatile as in “can be worn with a tee shirt or a suit”.
Old 18 October 2021, 05:54 AM   #3
TheMuffinator
"TRF" Member

I know the Zenith Defy Classic has a quick change similar to the VC Overseas.
TheMuffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 06:43 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Many Cartier watches offer this, and some, like the Must lines, offer multiple colors on the leather. Seem to recall seeing some colorful JLC straps that had the self-change spring bars so perhaps them, too?

Patek used to send the bracelet Aquanaut with a rubber strap as well, but it required tools to change.

Probably depends on whether it’s a brand that sees straps as a meaningful source of revenue. I’m sure Cartier does.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:19 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

My Czapek Antarctique has quick release and a choice of bracelet, rubber or leather.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:25 AM   #6
kunlun
"TRF" Member

The Breguet Marine line have this versatility, but the bracelet to rubber to leather must be done at a boutique or by a watchmaker.

The whole Cartier new Santos line has quick change bracelet and strap.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:33 AM   #7
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Another watch that comes to mind: the speedmaster. Comes on a bracelet. Also has leather strap. 3rd strap would be a nato. Not quite rubber but similar to what I was looking for: something that could be sporty, casual, and dressy all in 1 watch with the switch of a bracelet.
Old 18 October 2021, 07:54 AM   #8
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Panerai come to mind- push button release on the later models, but they look great on rubber or a variety of new, or vintage leather straps. The bracelets are ok, probably the weakest of the three options.
The IWC pilot line- no rubber, but the bracelets are excellent and they invariably look great on leather and on a Nato.

Blancpain Bathyscaphe can be had with a beautiful bracelet- it too works very well on factory rubber, Nato, sailcloth or leather strap.
Old 18 October 2021, 09:22 AM   #9
dannyp
Banned

I'm starting to see a pattern here... Cartier. VC. Panerai. JLC (I think). What do all of these have in common? Richemont. Wonder if the conglomerate also owns a strap manufacturing company and someone has done the math on the profitability of selling easily interchanged "OEM" straps for its various brands.
Old 18 October 2021, 10:14 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I'm starting to see a pattern here... Cartier. VC. Panerai. JLC (I think). What do all of these have in common? Richemont. Wonder if the conglomerate also owns a strap manufacturing company and someone has done the math on the profitability of selling easily interchanged "OEM" straps for its various brands.
Great point. I think they’ve figured out the market inefficiency which is selling straps for their own watches. They can get a premium for it by putting their name on it and they can take the worry out of consumers for whether it will fit or can be returned etc.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:17 PM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Great point. I think they’ve figured out the market inefficiency which is selling straps for their own watches. They can get a premium for it by putting their name on it and they can take the worry out of consumers for whether it will fit or can be returned etc.
Fit especially. Always a PITA to find a stock strap one likes, that fits both the watch and original buckle. More than that, I think there are those who think because "Cartier" is embossed on the back of the strap, it's a "Cartier" strap. And not everyone wants to spend the money/effort to go custom.

I was looking through the various Richemont houses' websites and almost all that I looked at have a prominent section for selling straps. Panerai literally has hundreds of options, ranging from about $2-400. IWC, VC and Cartier, too. Absent are Lange and Piaget, which kind of make sense.
Old 19 October 2021, 03:16 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The IWC big pilot 43 has a quick change and they offer a really good bracelet, the classic leather or a rubber strap from the factory as options.

Not sure it’s a watch I’d call versatile but given those options and a 100m wr it can do a lot on the right wrist.
Old 20 October 2021, 12:00 AM   #13
Stranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser Streamliner
Omega Seamaster
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 12:16 AM   #14
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
My Czapek Antarctique has quick release and a choice of bracelet, rubber or leather.
Did you cut your rubber strap yet? Did mine last night, I’m leaving it a bit loose for now since it’s cut to size. Bracelet remains very comfortable. I think the Antarctique is a great alternative to the Overseas line with its 120m water resistance rating. The quick change mechanism takes the stress out of strap changes, no more nicking the lugs!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #15
dnuggett
"TRF" Member

Sinn
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:52 AM   #16
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Did you cut your rubber strap yet? Did mine last night, I’m leaving it a bit loose for now since it’s cut to size. Bracelet remains very comfortable. I think the Antarctique is a great alternative to the Overseas line with its 120m water resistance rating. The quick change mechanism takes the stress out of strap changes, no more nicking the lugs!
I actually have two - black and white - but haven't sized either. Not sure if I'm scared or lazy! lol
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote