The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 August 2009, 08:25 AM   #1
surffisherman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vintage GMT
Lost/Damaged Bezel 1976 GMT Master - need advice on repair

Hello Fellow Members,
I am brand new here and found this forum like many other have while doing a search for repair parts for my watch. I have done some reading of this forum over the past two days and have gained some insight but obviously need additional advice/opinions on how I should proceed.

This Saturday morning I left my house in a hurry to get my son over to our local high school for official weigh in for his football league. After returning home that afternoon, I was sitting on the couch and looked down at my watch and to my horror the bezel was gone.

I inherited my beloved watch from my Grandfather after his passing a couple of years ago. My mom originally held onto the watch for sentimental reasons after his passing. She had it serviced and cleaned by a local jewelry and then passed it onto to me this past Christmas. It has been a daily wearer since that time. I was not aware that the Bezel could fall off! Had I known this fact, I would rethink wearing it everyday. I knew my Grandfather wore it everyday since 1976 so I did not give it a second thought after receiving it.

After noticing the missing bezel. I immediately got online to see if a replacement was available. After an hour of searching online, it became apparent that I might be able to get a replacement but it was not going to be cheap. Approximately $400-600.

I then gathered my two kids and wife and we backtracked my steps for the entire day since I had walked from my house to the high school. After an hour of searching we found the remains of the bezel and inner ring in a crosswalk. The bezel insert was not found. The bezel ring had obviously been run over by a car or two and looks damaged beyond repair.

So now that leads me to my many questions. How would you proceed if you were in my shoes? Should I take it to a local AD? (I have read that having Rolex service a vintage watch is not always wise so does that also apply to AD?) Can I just repair it myself with replacement parts purchased online? Or as I have read on this forum, there are some highly respected members who may be able to help me. One quote from another post:

Quote:
The reason Dalton and Bo Ridley are mentioned throughout this thread is that they will keep the Rolex as close to the original as possible and they are highly recommended here by experts on TRF and with the Rolex vintage community.
I have also seen Steve Mulholland's name mentioned and I actually have a quote from him for a replacement bezel after sending him a PM.

So, if you were me, what course of action would you take? And for the future, is this a common problem, losing the bezel? Can I prevent this from happening again by paying closer attention to the condition of the watch, say inspecting the bezel before putting it on each day?

This watch has huge sentimental value and I plan on giving it to my son one day. I would hate to just lock it up in our safe. That just doesn't seem quite right. It was meant to be worn and it reminds me of my grandfather everyday I have it on. Your thoughts and input please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a20090809_Photo_4437.jpg (36.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 20090809_Photo_4440.jpg (39.3 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 20090809_Photo_4442.jpg (35.9 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 20090809_Photo_4443.jpg (27.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg a20090809_Photo_4434.jpg (25.2 KB, 242 views)
surffisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Check out my thread called Nightmare 1665. You will get the same advice as I did for my watch. You can try Rolex USA, but I was advised against it, even if they said yes.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Like you, Dalton is in California. You should shoot him a PM and find out what he would charge to fix the watch (he may need to see it in person). He can also give you advice to properly care for it.
Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
The bezel of my GMT II came off a few times many years ago. It would bind and then pop off and once it just came off on it's own. I was able to put it back on but had lost the spring wire. Since then I've made a point of rotating the bezel under running water to clean it now and then and have not had a problem since.

The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
DadsWatch72
Banned

I don't think Niagra Falls would help his bezel.
Old 10 August 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think you will be able to buy the complete bezel for about $100.00.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 10:57 AM   #7
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
I think you will be able to buy the complete bezel for about $100.00.
Is that a new bezel from Rolex stock?
Old 10 August 2009, 01:54 PM   #8
surffisherman
"TRF" Member

Landroverking:
Quote:
think you will be able to buy the complete bezel for about $100.00.
I must also question where I might get a bezel for that price. So far, I have only found a couple of options and a complete bezel with insert is around $500+
Old 10 August 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
jdc
"TRF" Member

Steve Mulholland has great access to original parts, in your case 1976. There will always be a premium on original parts because of their scarcity. You may be able to get a new part for a cheaper price. If the watch has not been serviced for a while you could get this done at the same time as having a bezel replaced. Bob Ridley and Dalton will keep the look as original as possible if you send it to rolex they will more likely want to change the dial and face.
Best if you spoke to either of these guys to get idea of the work involved and costs. Not being from USA but I seem to remember someone posted that Rolex San Francisco would probably be guys to have a chat with, as they seem more sympathetic to older rolex than the other rolex USA centres.
Good luck and fantastic watch with great history
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 05:17 AM   #10
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Welcome first, Now the correct way to fix this problem is to have the bezel complete and the crystal bezel replaced as a new unit also with the bezel spring. If you were to just put a new bezel on the underlying crystal bezel it may be worn to the point that it will fall off again. Judgeing by the overall condition from your pictures probably a full service and the new parts would be warranted. These parts I believe are still available from Rolex but I would need your serial and model number to order them. With the band off between the lugs at 12 you'll find the model and the serial umber at the 6 o'clock hour. If you send me personal message I'll find out what ican and some prices. Rik the watchmaker
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 09:02 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Since you are located in California, there is a Rolex Service Center that is independently operated in San Fran.... http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...42185061461586

They do excellent work, and as Rikki says, the complete bezel is probably available.. Expect a full service to be around 500 bucks and a new bezel about 300... just so you don't get sticker shock..

In the case of this watch, the cost is well worth it..........

Don't worry about losing it again... it is rare, although it does happen..
Old 12 August 2009, 11:20 PM   #12
landroverking
"TRF" Member

There are three on e-bay prices start at 79.00 and one at 199.00 all are buy it now.
There two Black and one Blue. No Blue/Red at this time.
Old 13 August 2009, 01:25 AM   #13
surffisherman
"TRF" Member

Landroverking,

I assume this is what you are referring too: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR...4.c0.m14.l1262

That is definitely tempting but I am sure anything not original would be frowned upon by many on this forum. Can anyone tell me what kind of quality you would be getting from an aftermarket item like this? They state in their ad that you can not tell the difference.

After checking the feedback of this seller, it appears there are many happy people but whenever there WAS a problem, the Ebay seller always blamed it on the buyer. I shop on Ebay all the time but I would avoid this seller like the plague! He never once issued a refund.
Old 13 August 2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Some Pair

Watch: The Rollie's.....
Just say nooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffisherman View Post
Landroverking,

I assume this is what you are referring too: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR...4.c0.m14.l1262

That is definitely tempting but I am sure anything not original would be frowned upon by many on this forum. Can anyone tell me what kind of quality you would be getting from an aftermarket item like this? They state in their ad that you can not tell the difference.

After checking the feedback of this seller, it appears there are many happy people but whenever there WAS a problem, the Ebay seller always blamed it on the buyer. I shop on Ebay all the time but I would avoid this seller like the plague! He never once issued a refund.
Yes it is so. Hit or Miss on the most basic of items. Tough communication and nothing done timely. Refund was quickest of transactions. Guy won't speak. Only responds via email eventually. But took back multiple parts such as you're searching for...
Some Pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 10:11 PM   #15
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffisherman View Post
Landroverking,

I have never done business with this ebayer, so that post was NOT an endorsement, only trying to give some options. Sorry.
Old 14 August 2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Fisherman,

First off, let me welcome you to TRF. You came to the right place friend, and its good to have your here. So sorry about your trouble, but it won't be hard to fix.

Please take the advice of the veterans here. Use one of the watchmakers talked about here: Rikki, Dalton, Bob, or RSC SF for the best treatment of your watch. You have a magnificent heirloom there and it deserves nothing but the best treatment and original parts only.

Steve Mullholland has a fantastic reputation here for aquiring hard to get pieces.

The offer from Rikki is very generous, and you would do well to see what he can get from Rolex. Rest assured you cannot get a complete bezel set for 100.00 as that is about the price for an insert alone.

Whatever you decide I hope to see you posting about having your watch all fixed up and feeling good on your wrist in the near future. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Patrick

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote