The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2019, 04:35 AM   #31
Anthonydixon81
"TRF" Member

I think if you had it a year and actually wore it properly it’s no one else’s business what you do. You’ve enjoyed the watch now the time to move on, not a flipper imo.
Flipper to me is someone who buys it, doesn’t wear it or enjoy it and sells ASAP to make a return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthonydixon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 04:39 AM   #32
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
+1

Basic Kantian ethics definitely applies here. It's the intention that counts. Besides, you never know if you're really gonna like a watch until you've been wearing it for at least a couple of days. You buy a watch. You end up realizing it's not for you. You sell it. No big deal.
Completely agree. The issue for the OP is that, although we all know he is not a flipper the only opinion that matters is the AD’s, that’s why honesty and openness will work for him.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 04:51 AM   #33
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Buying to flip is generally a conscious decision. You set out to acquire an item knowing that if you find it in a certain price range, you will be able to flip it for a profit. If you are fortunate enough to acquire the item, it is advisable to sell it quickly and move on. Otherwise, in the event of a fast price drop (see Dodge Viper when deliveries started to pick up), you will end up holding something you didn't really want in the first place. If you own an item for a while, find you can sell it for a profit and do so, that is not "flipping". That's my opinion anyway...
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 05:45 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
+1

Basic Kantian ethics definitely applies here. It's the intention that counts. Besides, you never know if you're really gonna like a watch until you've been wearing it for at least a couple of days. You buy a watch. You end up realizing it's not for you. You sell it. No big deal.
If this is the case most ADs will now gladly take the watch back, esp a hot SS, but imagine that almost never happens.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 05:55 AM   #35
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I've purchased a couple of watches that I thought I loved and sold them both within a month. I've always posted that I "flipped" them but didn't make a profit from either. One of them was a Daytona that I ended up hating. The other was a RG CHNR. I found something I liked better so flipped it to fund the new watch. I always thought the term was used to describe selling off a watch quickly.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 05:59 AM   #36
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Intention, plus a 6 month period in which you try to like the watch and get over any buyer's remorse, then selling is fair game.
6 months? What if it’s 5 months? Or 3? Is 3 long enough? What if you know within a week that you picked the wrong watch. You still need to keep it for 6 months? I mean, c’mon. People return purchased items all the time. With watches it’s not possible, so the only option is to resell or trade.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 06:00 AM   #37
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

I would say 15 years or so
Old 15 May 2019, 08:43 PM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
6 months? What if it’s 5 months? Or 3? Is 3 long enough? What if you know within a week that you picked the wrong watch. You still need to keep it for 6 months? I mean, c’mon. People return purchased items all the time. With watches it’s not possible, so the only option is to resell or trade.
I'm sorry but them's the rules, nothing to do with me, guv.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote