The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 May 2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Marlboro.
Banned

Do you think that the Black Bay 58 will be a timeless design or become outdated?

I am considering this watch but worry it may become a dated design like many watches from other brands do (Omega, Breitling, etc). Or do you think the design will be timeless like the Submariner is?

I do wonder how vintage faux-vintage watches will be regarded in the future.

I do believe it is a great quality watch for this price-point and do love the look.
Marlboro. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:08 AM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Generally speaking I am not a fan of fake patina, but you need to get what you like. You can’t make a watch purchase based on how it will be perceived years down the road. Get what you like, or what’s the fun?
Old 16 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #3
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I’m on short list to get one myself, seems like a great watch to add to any collection along with great looks and excellent reviews. I say go for it.
Old 16 May 2019, 01:21 AM   #4
Jamhot
"TRF" Member

I have the BB58 and use it as a daily. I love the look of this watch. I like to think of it as a Porsche 356 Speedster with modern Cayman GT4 bits done by the factory itself
Jamhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:28 AM   #5
peterp
"TRF" Member

Watch is ok, strap+clasp and bracelet not. If they introduce blue or other colours they can be much more appreciated. Who knows.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:33 AM   #6
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Generally speaking I am not a fan of fake patina, but you need to get what you like. You can’t make a watch purchase based on how it will be perceived years down the road. Get what you like, or what’s the fun?
I'm wearing mine right now. I don't really consider this fake patina. The lume plots are pretty much white, and there is the bronze/gold surrounds which do add a vintage feel but it's not like those Omega re-editions that had yellow lume.

Compare:

Old 16 May 2019, 01:33 AM   #7
Marlboro.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Watch is ok, strap+clasp and bracelet not. If they introduce blue or other colours they can be much more appreciated. Who knows.
What is wrong with the bracelet and clasp?
Old 16 May 2019, 01:33 AM   #8
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Its the only new watch I would be interested in purchasing. It has classic proportions that will not date, an attractive colour scheme, looks good on a strap and will I think become a classic.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #9
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro. View Post
What is wrong with the bracelet and clasp?
It's a low quality bracelet compared to Rolex oyster bracelets. It's not a bad bracelet but more on par with Omega/TAG than Rolex.
Old 16 May 2019, 01:41 AM   #10
Marlboro.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
It's a low quality bracelet compared to Rolex oyster bracelets. It's not a bad bracelet but more on par with Omega/TAG than Rolex.
I have handled the Black Bay and also handled Tag Heuer and Omega bracelets. It seemed far better quality than the ghastly Aquaracer bracelets, better than the Speedmaster bracelets too.
Old 16 May 2019, 01:43 AM   #11
Rocket launcher
Banned

It's hardly a Rolex and due to that will always have a price sealing ..
Nice watch though that will hold its own in its class
And will stay a classic as it is already
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:50 AM   #12
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have handled the Black Bay and also handled Tag Heuer and Omega bracelets. It seemed far better quality than the ghastly Aquaracer bracelets, better than the Speedmaster bracelets too.
Maybe better than an Aquaracer, but I have a Carrera that I would say is equal or maybe even better than the BB58. Both are equally comfortable but the Carrera just feels like it fits "tighter." But I guess that's the point -- I think the BB58 is supposed to invoke a vintage watch both in look AND feel, and the bracelet fits a little like an old pre-SEL bracelet (slightly more space between links for a more relaxed fit), even though it has SELs.
Old 16 May 2019, 03:14 AM   #13
Marlboro.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Maybe better than an Aquaracer, but I have a Carrera that I would say is equal or maybe even better than the BB58. Both are equally comfortable but the Carrera just feels like it fits "tighter." But I guess that's the point -- I think the BB58 is supposed to invoke a vintage watch both in look AND feel, and the bracelet fits a little like an old pre-SEL bracelet (slightly more space between links for a more relaxed fit), even though it has SELs.
Interesting, I am used to a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet and I thought that the BB58 was a reasonably high quality bracelet, not quite as good as the Oyster but still quite good. I haven't tried a Carrera but the Aquaracer felt unbelievably cheap and unrefined, a lot of hair pinching and sharp edges.
Old 16 May 2019, 03:44 AM   #14
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Interesting, I am used to a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet and I thought that the BB58 was a reasonably high quality bracelet, not quite as good as the Oyster but still quite good
Not sure of the BB58 Bracelet but my BBGMT bracelet feels every bit as good as my 216570 oyster besides the obvious tapering difference.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 04:59 AM   #15
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

At this price range, you’d be hard pressed to find anything else that comes close. I’ve had mine for 6 months and it still gets 70% wrist time. That says a lot considering I have the BLNR and LVc too. I have no issues with the faux patina and riveted bracelet. The only downside I see is the lack of micro extension on the bracelet, but I’ve never needed it so can’t complain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FC18B825-66F6-4E50-BDD0-CD16FD10721B.jpeg (256.7 KB, 238 views)
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:20 AM   #16
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Do you think that the Black Bay 58 will be a timeless design or become outdated?

I personally don’t care for a new watch that is purposely made to look old by making the lume a creamy color or whatever. But that’s just me...I remember in the 90’s Fender started selling “relic” Stratocasters for a huge premium..the paint was made to look faded, there were rubs on the fretboard, etc. Seriously??? Just buy a new guitar and play it for 20 yrs - your “patina” will mean a hell of a lot more to you later on...

That being said, if I did buy this style of watch, the BB58 or Ranger would be top choices.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:28 AM   #17
Nico J
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting, I am used to a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet and I thought that the BB58 was a reasonably high quality bracelet, not quite as good as the Oyster but still quite good. I haven't tried a Carrera but the Aquaracer felt unbelievably cheap and unrefined, a lot of hair pinching and sharp edges.
The Black Bay bracelets are very high quality - much better than anything from Tag or Omega IMO. Very Oyster-like, especially now that the bracelet tapers from 20mm to 18mm on the BB58. And the ceramic ball bearings in the clasp feel exceptional.

The BB58 is definitely on my radar - just haven't had a chance to see one in person.
Nico J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:42 AM   #18
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Of course fake patina will be dated at some point. And no, the BB 58 is not as timeless as the Sub. But neither of those things should stop you from buying the watch if you like the watch.

In the Tudor lineup, the black Pelagos, black BB 41, BB GMT, and BB Chrono are, in my opinion, more timeless than the BB 58.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:49 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t really call any of tudors modern pieces “timeless”. They haven’t earned that badge yet, nor will they for a while
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:49 AM   #20
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
I personally don’t care for a new watch that is purposely made to look old by making the lume a creamy color or whatever. But that’s just me...I remember in the 90’s Fender started selling “relic” Stratocasters for a huge premium..the paint was made to look faded, there were rubs on the fretboard, etc. Seriously??? Just buy a new guitar and play it for 20 yrs - your “patina” will mean a hell of a lot more to you later on...

That being said, if I did buy this style of watch, the BB58 or Ranger would be top choices.
See, that's the thing...ceramic will never patina. It's literally designed not to. There are those of us that like the look of aluminum over ceramic, but still desire to have a modern watch with the newest tech/materials/etc. Tudor is just about the only one left in the game that is filling that void.

I don't love the gilt details on the 58, but I've warmed to them over time and to me they don't scream faux patina. The Omegas someone posted above definitely do.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #21
johnjm
"TRF" Member

I have one and find it more comfortable than the GMT or 116610. It’s on par in comfort to a 116500 on my wrist even.

I love the details on the watch itself. I think it will be a timeless design as it’s already based on one.

I’ll take bets that it remains a once off for a while to some, it will canebalize (sp) the rest of the line as they are too bulky to ever be timeless IMo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2019, 06:17 AM   #22
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
See, that's the thing...ceramic will never patina. It's literally designed not to. There are those of us that like the look of aluminum over ceramic, but still desire to have a modern watch with the newest tech/materials/etc. Tudor is just about the only one left in the game that is filling that void.

I don't love the gilt details on the 58, but I've warmed to them over time and to me they don't scream faux patina. The Omegas someone posted above definitely do.

That’s a good point, theoretically the dial and bezel on the new ones will look the same in 50 yrs. I suppose given enough time the bracelets will wear out and a strap will need to be used...that would give it a more rustic look or whatever. I had a couple 5 digit pieces, but eventually got tired of the aluminum bezels oddly enough. To each his own.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote