The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Interesting video and perspective

I found this video quite interesting, especially coming from a guy who makes a large part of his living selling modern watches. I have to say that generally speaking, I agree. I have said here time and time again that when you try too hard to make something collectible, it usually fails. What is going on right now with watches reminds me of the 1990’s with baseball cards. The reason the cards from the early 1900’s up to 1970’s are valuable, is that nobody cared about them and kept them in “mint” condition. By the time the 1990’s came around, people bought into the hype and started buying everything they could find and kept it in untouched condition. You used to be able to buy a pack of cards for .50 cents and sell the individual cards for 5 times that. In retrospect, it didn’t make a lot of sense, and fast forward those cards are pretty much worthless.
Now, I feel that modern Rolex are superior in quality to the old stuff, and I really like them, but steel BLRO selling for almost $20,000? Sorry, it just doesn’t make sense. Too many people are in the game now just for the investment and chase. New watches are being stored away untouched in safes, with people thinking they are going to pay for college. That usually doesn’t end well....sports cards, beanie babies, etc.

https://youtu.be/v74bKA_Z7Qc
Old 19 June 2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I agree. At some point the market will be flooded with newer condition watches. And when the world economy goes down there will be less buyers. Just the opposite of now.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:16 PM   #3
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Hit the Nail squarely on the head. This is exactly what is happening !IMHO
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
Hit the Nail squarely on the head. This is exactly what is happening !IMHO
Seems like it. You can’t “manufacture” collectibility in unlimited quantities. These are still being produced, and are not limited editions, so it just makes you wonder.
Old 20 June 2019, 08:11 AM   #5
grymg
"TRF" Member

I agree with the premise (heck I owned so many Ken Griffey Jr. rookies, can't believe they aren't worth anything now!), but watches are arguably much different than beanie babies, ball cards, pogs, etc. They are high end, fashionable, wearable, almost timeless and ageless pieces that can be appreciated by almost everyone.
Old 20 June 2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

^^I year ya on the Griffey Jr rookies!
Not sure about very one appreciating watches...most people think we must be crazy!
Old 20 June 2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Still upset all of my cards are worthless. Rolex on the other hand will always be worth “something”
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:51 AM   #8
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
......That usually doesn’t end well....sports cards, beanie babies, etc.

Sports card expert here. I dont agree with the comparison of sports cards to Rolex Watches.

For instance, when sports cards were hot, the card companies had the presses running day and night. Rolex doesnt do that with their production of watches.

Finally you would be hard pressed to find a common Submariner from the 80s or 90s selling below its MSRP at the time it was sold. This wont be true with 95% of sports cards. in 2016 Yasiel Puig was the hot card, I really doubt his card is selling for more now than in 2016.

Rolex watches are NOT like sports cards.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
Sports card expert here. I dont agree with the comparison of sports cards to Rolex Watches.

For instance, when sports cards were hot, the card companies had the presses running day and night. Rolex doesnt do that with their production of watches.

Finally you would be hard pressed to find a common Submariner from the 80s or 90s selling below its MSRP at the time it was sold. This wont be true with 95% of sports cards. in 2016 Yasiel Puig was the hot card, I really doubt his card is selling for more now than in 2016.

Rolex watches are NOT like sports cards.
2 big similarities....

-People are applying vintage pricing results to new models thinking they will surely increase like the old stuff
-Everyone is a “collector” now....these are not limited production and they are being put away in “mint” condition by the thousands.
Old 20 June 2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

I think a more appropriate analogy is the aircooled Porsche market- similar to OOP references such as five digit Rolex. Folks have been clamoring over the last few years about the aircooled Porsche bubble bursting, yet prices keep climbing quite simply because they aren't making them anymore.

I will take the contrarian view and argue OOP models will continue to hold or gain value.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 01:28 PM   #11
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

I haven't really seen much of a comparison to Yeezys....

*stirs the pot*
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:19 PM   #12
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

Interesting video. Also OP I agree with your observation that people are buying new watches and keeping them in pristine condition for resale later. This was not why folks bought new watches in the previous century.

Will you ever find a post 2017 blnr or Pepsi without papers in the future? No. Every single document is being stored by all owners. On a side note the move from papers to card also helped making sure all these watches will be available as full sets in the future
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:33 PM   #13
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
2 big similarities....

-People are applying vintage pricing results to new models thinking they will surely increase like the old stuff

-Everyone is a “collector” now....these are not limited production and they are being put away in “mint” condition by the thousands.

People could’ve said this about the 116600. Ended up a three year run and discontinued.

I think back to any model that is now discontinued, say a 16610 (black) that was pretty common and mass produced. They are “collectible” even tho some are still stickered and stashed away.

The hype with Rolex and the collectibility is not going away anytime soon. How these watches age is tbd.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:31 PM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I couldn't take any more after the "Blueberry" bs. The Shelby bs was bad enough.

Robert Moron....what more do you need to know.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:58 PM   #15
Rocket launcher
Banned

The bubble is about to burst in the future rolex sports watches on average will be worth less than retail...

At this time trading is now done not by collectors or enthusiasts as we know the watches are available at retail.with a wait but at retail price...that the watches are mass produced and not rare ..there are millions of them ..with millions more warches to be made..

So all the dealing is speculator buying from grey or speculator..it's a tricky situation

As with stocks shares and commodities it hits saturation point and collapses as it dawns on the market that they are buying overpriced objects that are available..it's normally a cycle and I predict

Bubble Burst in 12 months.. with a slow down within the next 6 and a flat market in 18 months time.. the down turn is already starting as a ripple..second hand stuff is not selling as it was as the pull out is still costly.. take for example sub dates they are trading at 10% less than they were 7 months ago ..and what is at the greater price is not selling ..then overstock then BOOM.with bailout
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:13 PM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
At this time trading is now done not by collectors or enthusiasts as we know the watches are available at retail.with a wait but at retail price...that the watches are mass produced and not rare ..

As with stocks shares and commodities it hits saturation point and collapses as it dawns on the market that they are buying overpriced objects that are available..
This is my thought as well. People are paying over retail for objects which are still being produced, at an Unknown/Unlimited quantity. It’s literally like printing
Money!

When you have a bunch of investors and speculators buying up inventory, they are doing it for profit. Many of them are using capital that is either borrowed or needs to be churned at some point. When the need arises for them to liquidate inventory, prices will slowly decline as they need to clear the shelves and free up money (buyers market).
Overall, I think everything will cool down, but the out of production and vintage stuff may stay solid. It’s the new stuff that is really just silly, and I can’t see it being sustainable.
Old 20 June 2019, 08:41 PM   #17
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
People could’ve said this about the 116600. Ended up a three year run and discontinued.

I think back to any model that is now discontinued, say a 16610 (black) that was pretty common and mass produced. They are “collectible” even tho some are still stickered and stashed away.

The hype with Rolex and the collectibility is not going away anytime soon. How these watches age is tbd.
What is going on now is the exact OPPOSITE of the 116600. That watch sat in stores and collected dust. They were easily obtained at 20-30% off msrp because nobody wanted them. The collectibility part came later, after discontinuation, when people realized there weren’t a lot of them around.
Old 20 June 2019, 09:16 PM   #18
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed watching that.
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:27 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is a speculative bubble. It will burst and we can sit back and analyze it for the next couple of years. I have seen it with some sport items and remember in the late 80's and early 90's the market on Corvettes was crazy. Now, not at all. A correction is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when and how bad will it get for the speculators.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:39 PM   #20
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is going on now is the exact OPPOSITE of the 116600. That watch sat in stores and collected dust. They were easily obtained at 20-30% off msrp because nobody wanted them. The collectibility part came later, after discontinuation, when people realized there weren’t a lot of them around.

The point I was trying to make is:

1. Rolex are not made in unlimited quantity. If it were truly unlimited, everyone could get every model they wanted and we wouldn’t have waitlists, or fomo, due to discontinuation.

2. The fact that people keep them new or in a safe won’t change the collectibility 30 years from now. It will only affect the price of NOS vs used.

3. The 116600 proves that there are references in the modern day that could become highly collectible and produced in rather small quantities.
Old 20 June 2019, 09:47 PM   #21
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is:

1. Rolex are not made in unlimited quantity. If it were truly unlimited, everyone could get every model they wanted and we wouldn’t have waitlists, or fomo, due to discontinuation.

2. The fact that people keep them new or in a safe won’t change the collectibility 30 years from now. It will only affect the price of NOS vs used.

3. The 116600 proves that there are references in the modern day that could become highly collectible and produced in rather small quantities.
1) this is factually incorrect. All Rolex are produced in an unlimited quantity, meaning they are not limited editions. I didn’t say they were produced in perpetuity. The quantity is unknown, and is not published or restricted. This is wrong .

2) this is subjective, but I would argue that you are absolutely false in that assumption. Name one vintage collectible, not just watches but of any kind, that continues to appreciate in value even though it is readily available in excellent condition.

2) of course there are, but if you watch the video and read the post the point is you can’t predict that while they are still being produced. That will only be known once they are out of production. This is due to point number one, they are unlimited and we don’t know how many will be made.
Old 20 June 2019, 10:38 PM   #22
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1) this is factually incorrect. All Rolex are produced in an unlimited quantity, meaning they are not limited editions. I didn’t say they were produced in perpetuity. The quantity is unknown, and is not published or restricted. This is wrong .

2) this is subjective, but I would argue that you are absolutely false in that assumption. Name one vintage collectible, not just watches but of any kind, that continues to appreciate in value even though it is readily available in excellent condition.

2) of course there are, but if you watch the video and read the post the point is you can’t predict that while they are still being produced. That will only be known once they are out of production. This is due to point number one, they are unlimited and we don’t know how many will be made.

I do not agree with Rolex being produced in unlimited quantities. Take a moment to read the forum these days and it will take you less than 30 seconds to realize, there is a shortage. We can argue forever about whether it’s demand, market conditions, or created by the brand- but in either case, they are not available in unlimited quantities.
Old 20 June 2019, 10:46 PM   #23
Zippy+
"TRF" Member

1D61BDE4-1833-4679-BABE-2E04F472F470.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballkm21 View Post

*stirs the pot*
Better cover both possibilities...
Zippy+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:50 PM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
I found this video quite interesting, especially coming from a guy who makes a large part of his living selling modern watches. I have to say that generally speaking, I agree. I have said here time and time again that when you try too hard to make something collectible, it usually fails. What is going on right now with watches reminds me of the 1990’s with baseball cards. The reason the cards from the early 1900’s up to 1970’s are valuable, is that nobody cared about them and kept them in “mint” condition. By the time the 1990’s came around, people bought into the hype and started buying everything they could find and kept it in untouched condition. You used to be able to buy a pack of cards for .50 cents and sell the individual cards for 5 times that. In retrospect, it didn’t make a lot of sense, and fast forward those cards are pretty much worthless.
Now, I feel that modern Rolex are superior in quality to the old stuff, and I really like them, but steel BLRO selling for almost $20,000? Sorry, it just doesn’t make sense. Too many people are in the game now just for the investment and chase. New watches are being stored away untouched in safes, with people thinking they are going to pay for college. That usually doesn’t end well....sports cards, beanie babies, etc.

The other major factor with the baseball card business was the very well documented mass over production of the cards which grew exponentially in the late 80’s early 90’s. Rolex is very clearly and deliberately not increasing production so when the economy contracts, they will go generally well as they always have.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:09 PM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I do not agree with Rolex being produced in unlimited quantities. Take a moment to read the forum these days and it will take you less than 30 seconds to realize, there is a shortage. We can argue forever about whether it’s demand, market conditions, or created by the brand- but in either case, they are not available in unlimited quantities.
There isn't a manufacturer shortage. The hot models are sequestered by grey's and newbie speculators hoping for a windfall. Speculators are buying all the available inventory and sitting on the watches looking for the big profit. At some point the speculators will need to cash out, and the bubble will burst.

Rolex has zero Limited Edition watches. GS, AP, and many others are pitching LE series left and right trying to generate collectability. Within the undefined production numbers that Rolex has for each modern watch, the numbers are unlimited. There are a lot of these watches in the market already. There won't be any rarity in the future to sustain today's bubble prices.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:28 PM   #26
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballkm21 View Post

*stirs the pot*
Kayne was quite open that he wanted everyone to have the ability to buy his shoes. It was also pretty well known there were production limits. I also suspect there was some collusion in spiking the prices - the Frozen Yellow shows for example showing up at Flight Club in the cases the same day they are released.

Anyway, my thoughts on Rolex are, I’m happy they don’t over produce. Omega makes this mistake and their watches are discounted...heavily.

It wasn’t too long ago that the Grey Dealers were selling Rolex at a discount - how can this be good? Rolex is supposed to be a luxury, high end product - getting wholesaled is horrible. Yes demand is up, but that’s with a lot of things. Porsche/sports cars, Beach Front Property, Good Schools, etc.a
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:36 PM   #27
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
There isn't a shortage. The hot models are sequestered by grey's and newbie speculators hoping for a windfall. Speculators are buying all the available inventory and sitting on the watches looking for the big profit. At some point the speculators will need to cash out, and the bubble will burst.

Rolex has zero Limited Edition watches. GS, AP, and many others are pitching LE series left and right trying to generate collectability. Within the undefined production numbers that Rolex has for each modern watch, the numbers are unlimited. There are a lot of these watches in the market already. There won't be any rarity in the future to sustain today's bubble prices.

Name one reference that Rolex has made since the inception of their company, that is still made to date? If the basis for the term “unlimited” is because they aren’t putting a X/500 on the watch, you can argue this all day long, but we all know there is a limit to the number of any reference that is now discontinued.
Old 20 June 2019, 11:39 PM   #28
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems like it. You can’t “manufacture” collectibility in unlimited quantities. These are still being produced, and are not limited editions, so it just makes you wonder.

Hermès begs to differ, but whatever makes you think you are right
Old 20 June 2019, 11:52 PM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Name one reference that Rolex has made since the inception of their company, that is still made to date? If the basis for the term “unlimited” is because they aren’t putting a X/500 on the watch, you can argue this all day long, but we all know there is a limit to the number of any reference that is now discontinued.
The current range is unlimited. These are the watches in the bubble.

No one is paying $10,000 for a 1601. Or $4,000 for that matter. Your argument that a discontinued watch creates collectability simply because it isn't made anymore doesn't hold water.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:25 AM   #30
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don’t need to agree or disagree, it is a factual statement. They are UNLIMITED-meaning not limited, meaning they can make as many as they want. You seem to be confusing unlimited with “readily available.”