The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2018, 02:36 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadweller43 View Post
people dont trust money and gold any more. they think rolex is a better thing to invest money on. no gold, just steel, rolex is a piece of art, which everybody loves. people trust rolex more than money now.
You need money to buy a Rolex and you accept money when you sell it. If money is worthless so is your watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:45 AM   #32
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
lots of people with money left in hand ... NO PRODUCT TO SELL!!!
How do explain that one ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:46 AM   #33
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I love these kind of threads. Really thoughtful post by the way.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:50 AM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post

And finally, there is no way they can punish a dealer for selling to a flipper. They can not dictate discrimination. If you have cash and the product is available then it is first come first served or a dealer would be sued out of existence.
Wrong on all levels

1) ADs operate under an agency agreement which can, and does give Rolex the power to pull the AD status if they see fit.

2) It’s not discrimination. A retailer can sell an item, or decline to sell an item to whoever they choose. No one is getting sued

3) It is not first come first served, and again no one is getting sued.

That is all fact, unlike the speculation in most of your post.

Quote:
So, let’s stop all this nonsense and just admit that the global economy is really hot right now, thus more people are interested in luxury items, and thus Rolex, while increasing production, is just not increasing it fast enough to keep up with the generation of new wealth that desires to own a Rolex. If a recession were to come, suddenly there would be excess capacity. Rolex would also fare much better than those brands that churn out unlimited supply and are left holding the inventory.
This is most likely correct. But Rolex are taking steps to prevent flipping. That is known and well documented on here. So, ask yourself why. Rolex is a privately owned enterprise. It doesn’t need to maximise profits at any expense.

Quote:
Rolex is smart, these threads are not.
Agreed. Including this thread

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:55 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Really interesting story. Seems like the UK is a particularly unique market for Rolex. Really hard to compare a Rolex buying experience in the US to the UK. For that matter a big city US AD versus a rural AD.

Funny about the Premier League Footballers. I'm sure they get whatever they want.
You know the interesting thing about our footballers and maybe all highly paid sportsmen, is that their agents do most of their retail buying - clothes, watches, entertainment devices etc, it's how they justify making millions living off them with no talent but negotiating once every few months, and so as they are tight as frick I bet they haggle like crazy and get big discounts, even on the populars, because the ADs want the watches to go to celebs. So same old story of when you can afford anything, you get it for free or at a huge discount.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 04:18 AM   #36
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Wrong on all levels

1) ADs operate under an agency agreement which can, and does give Rolex the power to pull the AD status if they see fit.

2) It’s not discrimination. A retailer can sell an item, or decline to sell an item to whoever they choose. No one is getting sued

3) It is not first come first served, and again no one is getting sued.

That is all fact, unlike the speculation in most of your post.

This is most likely correct. But Rolex are taking steps to prevent flipping. That is known and well documented on here. So, ask yourself why. Rolex is a privately owned enterprise. It doesn’t need to maximise profits at any expense.

Agreed. Including this thread
All I can say is if you peruse the for sale section here, all the familiar US based trusted sellers are still in business, still listing hard to get SS watches for sale, and all of these watches do in fact originate from USA and overseas AD's. Rolex is not putting anybody who sells grey market/resellers out of business. DavidSW, JustRolexes, Takuya, etc, these guys have booming business and will most likely continue!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 04:43 AM   #37
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Wrong wrong wrong.

Rolex can and does punish dealers

Rolex does buy stock and does know where it comes from.

Fact.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 06:15 AM   #38
jvd99
"TRF" Member

I don’t think being able to buy or not buy a luxury item
Is a civil rights issue
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 10:34 AM   #39
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex not liking the Grey Market is B.S.

While this conversation has been going, Richemont has purchased a gray marketer, Watchfinder.

https://www.ft.com/content/55dafc62-...d-4df188287fff

What an interesting development, Richemont as a “first mover”.

Now one of Rolex’s prime competitors (who make brands like A. Lange & Söhne, Baume & Mercier, Cartier, IWC Schaffhausen, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Montblanc, Officine Panerai, Piaget and Vacheron Constantin) can profit from gray market sales of Rolex, Omega, Patek and others.

“Johann Rupert, Richemont’s chairman, is overhauling the group’s distribution systems to meet customer demand for sales through a variety of channels. Swiss watchmakers are increasingly focusing attention on the second-hand market to help trading in their products and protect their brand image.”

I think Rolex and Patek aren’t going there - yet - but I could see Swatch doing something similar soon as a “fast follower”.

Hope this real world move helps illustrate the mundane textbook post I made earlier. Global Marketing means more than physical presence nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 10:36 AM   #40
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Wrong wrong wrong.

Rolex can and does punish dealers

Rolex does buy stock and does know where it comes from.

Fact.
Source?
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 08:08 PM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Source?
Trust us, it's been standard operating procedure here for well over a year now, really old news. We had Brexit a year before the rest of the world felt the squeeze so we are ahead on all these strategies and policing.
Old 4 June 2018, 08:12 PM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
All I can say is if you peruse the for sale section here, all the familiar US based trusted sellers are still in business, still listing hard to get SS watches for sale, and all of these watches do in fact originate from USA and overseas AD's. Rolex is not putting anybody who sells grey market/resellers out of business. DavidSW, JustRolexes, Takuya, etc, these guys have booming business and will most likely continue!
They are not trying to drive big greys out, they just want to stop flippers and ADs who enable them, greys have a purpose, esp with DJs, PMs etc and if they take many of those in I'm sure Rolex look the other way on some of the populars even now. We've had premiums on the D500 for years now and Rolex didn't mind so it is not greys that are the problem, it is endemic flipping for profit only across many models now that is.
Old 4 June 2018, 08:52 PM   #43
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I love these kind of threads. Really thoughtful post by the way.
Thoughtful but disintermediate.

Whatever that indicates?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote