The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2019, 11:16 PM   #91
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I do like the oyster, but I prefer everything else about the new version: updated movement, longer GMT hand, different bezel width, different dial font, etc. I mistakenly sold my BLNR a few years ago, but I will not pay $15k+ for one. I'll pick up the new version and source an oyster bracelet for it and have the best of both worlds with two bracelets and Everest straps to boot.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 11:30 PM   #92
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
The reality is people are

They exhibit cognitive biases by assuming Rolex Subs are "everywhere", when in reality these same people just visit concentration centers i.e. Manhattan, Hong Kong, Airports, which is a gross underrepresentation of "everywhere".

If we really want to put this to bed, let's say with certainty which we see "everywhere" are 5 digit Subs, 6 digit Subs, and unfortunately which are fakes (bc this does happen often in places like NYC). I mention 5 digit vs 6 digit because I think so many don't realize what they see are not the current run Subs and those aren't sold nearly in the numbers people here think they are. The 5 digit Subs were around what 30 years? So of course you will see a lot of them...
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 11:56 PM   #93
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
[QUOTE=904VT;9599932]The reality is people are

They exhibit cognitive biases by assuming Rolex Subs are "everywhere", when in reality these same people just visit concentration centers i.e. Manhattan, Hong Kong, Airports, which is a gross underrepresentation of "everywhere".

The one's who changed their mind about buying a Submariner because they "are everywhere" did it because they won't feel special in a sea of Subs.
That's the madness. Its a great watch, but people won't respect them if all they have is a ubiquitous Submariner date.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 11:58 PM   #94
904VT
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Keepchasing;9600005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
The reality is people are

The one's who changed their mind about buying a Submariner because they "are everywhere" did it because they won't feel special in a sea of Subs.
That's the madness. Its a great watch, but people won't respect them if all they have is a ubiquitous Submariner date.
Lol I have to agree. I think it's an inferiority complex.
Old 4 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #95
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fchernyak View Post
It’s funny how people say the sub (especially date) is one of the most common watches on people wrist. I’m from nyc and have a habit of looking at everyone’s wrist even before eye contact lol. If I’m lucky I might see one or two( aside from my own) out of the 1000s of people I see waking by daily. Yes i do see many rolexes in general, probably 10-15 daily but most of them are datejusts or even daydates. Not as many sports models as I used to see few years back. I’m thinking many people decided to make a few bucks and flip it on the grey market and buy themselves datejusts a long with pocketing some cash. Just a interested thought I had and wanted to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all that common. Folks who have Rolex tend to spend more time with others in a similar SES class and work with folks similar to them, thus seem more prevalent . Get out into the world a little and you will see there are very few.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:51 AM   #96
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
No, HK is really full of real Rolexes even on the wrists of those you're assuming can't afford them.

Most local working people in HK don't spend money on 1 car let alone 2 cars, car insurance, petrol, or going out to eat 5/6 nights a week, huge TVs, multiple large appliances in their tiny flats, boats, jet skis, motorcycles, truckloads of Xmas and B'day presents, hers/his wardrobes the size of bedrooms filled with clothes and shoes/boots, pets, pet food, vet bills, golf, sporting events, etc, etc, etc.

There's a million items the average HK working person does without and doesn't spend money on compared to an "average" American or Kiwi. Most locals I know in HK also know how to do something that's becoming more rare....save money. They view buying a Rolex as purchasing something they can recover the money from if needed.

Believe it or not, by working a normal job and saving one doesn't have to be wealthy to purchase a Rolex if one isn't constantly spending money on all sort of frivolous, unneeded shit we now think are the necessities of life.

Most locals are well-versed in Rolex watches and aren't the ones buying fakes. Those are mostly the tourists coming off the cruise ships and from the airport.
Very, very well put
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:02 AM   #97
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Very, very well put
Yes, CRM makes some great points about savings and affordability. $7k or $8k seems like a lot in a single purchase, but how many of us really couldn't save $500 each month if we really wanted to? I imagine not many if we cut out a few things. That would easily purchase 1 Rolex a year and could do so making $60k a year if saving correctly. Though I do wonder if the purchasing habits in Hong Kong when compared to those other populations mentioned, have more to do with population density than any superior saving habits/methods.
Old 4 May 2019, 02:04 AM   #98
MinMay
Banned

How common are subs really

Speaking of Hong Kong I saw this flyer on the subway. $5 minimum wage. Wow. With the current high price of housing and food over there I can’t imagine the standard of living.

During my visit I saw a lot of submariner among Rolex. I saw two Daytona. Of course we don’t see it everywhere but it is definitely the most sport watch I have seen from Rolex. I’m not talking about omega or Apple Watch. And Datejust is not a sport watch ( I see a lot of those in older men).

MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:12 AM   #99
goldenboy80
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I don't think that the Rolex Submariner is all that common. I fly from NYC to Houston every week in business or first class and see a lot of cool watches. I've actually seen more Sea Dwellers than Subs. More commonly I see Tag Heuer or Omega. The buttoned up lawyers typically wear dress watches. There are a lot of flashy looking watches that I can't place but are probably quartz. I think the knock against the Sub is not so much that it is common but that it is so recognizable. When you put on a Sub, you're wearing an archetypal watch, so you have to be comfortable with the idea that you're wearing "the" luxury sports watch that people know and it's hard to fly under the radar.
goldenboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:15 AM   #100
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I would say its the most popular watch in London other than a apple watch
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 05:29 AM   #101
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Every single time I fly to Dubai from London, in the business class lounge in London for the smart/casual white middle aged man the most common watch is a sub, without a shadow of doubt. The sub is the bare minimum watch to wear in Dubai as an expat. The Arabs/Indians tend to wear solid gold DD/other brand solid gold. On the A380 it’s sub sub sub with the occasional YM.

Hardly ever if ever seen anyone on board with a hot model GMT / Daytona.
In London in general however, I have seen practically every model of Rolex, as well as many high level Pateks in bars / restaurants in the wild. Just last week a guy next to our table in a cheap Chinese restaurant in china town had a panda. German guy. I complemented him and he enjoyed discussing it

I wonder where the most densely populated city per capita in the world for finding Rolex in the wild is ? Monaco ?
Hong kong
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 07:31 AM   #102
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
I don't think that the Rolex Submariner is all that common. I fly from NYC to Houston every week in business or first class and see a lot of cool watches. I've actually seen more Sea Dwellers than Subs. More commonly I see Tag Heuer or Omega. The buttoned up lawyers typically wear dress watches. There are a lot of flashy looking watches that I can't place but are probably quartz. I think the knock against the Sub is not so much that it is common but that it is so recognizable. When you put on a Sub, you're wearing an archetypal watch, so you have to be comfortable with the idea that you're wearing "the" luxury sports watch that people know and it's hard to fly under the radar.

Does bother me at all. I love the watch. Don’t really care if people notice or don’t. Love it so much I bought it in 2 variations lol

Fchernyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:02 AM   #103
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankapdx View Post
Hong kong
Busted
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:10 AM   #104
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Literally as much as Adidas shoes nowadays
Old 14 May 2019, 05:33 AM   #105
mzcool
"TRF" Member

Depends where you go. I saw plenty of these while working at a Big 4 firm in NYC. Outside of cities/expensive suburbs, not many.
mzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:46 AM   #106
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Newport RI Boat show. every. single. wrist.
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:02 PM   #107
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Does bother me at all. I love the watch. Don’t really care if people notice or don’t. Love it so much I bought it in 2 variations lol

Good Lord!!!
Your thumb is the same size as your Sub?!?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:04 PM   #108
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Good Lord!!!

Lmao it’s from the angle of the pic I promise it’s not that big

Fchernyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:49 PM   #109
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
Saw 3 at church yesterday
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 06:20 PM   #110
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

As many have said, the ubiquity and the common sightings of the sub depend on the location and occasion. I see a few every day because 3 of my coworkers at the office have them. And also, it being south OC, there are so many people with highend luxury watches, rolex being one of the more common ones. But I definitely see way way more apple watches than any other watches.
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 07:26 PM   #111
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Good Lord!!!
Nice!
Old 14 May 2019, 07:33 PM   #112
scheneider
"TRF" Member

The go to choice for non watch guys if they want the rolex brand.
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 07:43 PM   #113
Pongster
"TRF" Member

The SubC is my dad’s go to watch. So i see one everytime we have a family dinner.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 07:57 PM   #114
challer
"TRF" Member

When I see a Rolex, it’s tends to be a DJ on women and Sub on men. That’s everywhere to me. It appears to be the most faked watch in the world.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 08:09 PM   #115
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
I've never seen a real sub in the wild only little kids wearing fakes I'm from london
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 08:10 PM   #116
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Lmao it’s from the angle of the pic I promise it’s not that big

Make him show u his thumb... forgot about taking off your pants. Lets just compare thumbs.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 10:09 PM   #117
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
see a date sub on the subway everyday, its actually surprising to see a rolex thats non sub/datejust. on the six train, there is one person with a very nice 16570 polar occasionally. very infrequently, maybe a vintage op
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 10:37 PM   #118
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheneider View Post
The go to choice for non watch guys if they want the rolex brand.
I got flamed yesterday when i tried to say this in a new topic But yes.. I agree :)
Old 14 May 2019, 10:49 PM   #119
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Sub C

Sub C

Sub SABR

Not that common around. I mostly see Date Justs

Most people just don’t own a Rolex

archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 10:55 PM   #120
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I’ve seen a good few, just out and about, but mostly in airports. By far the most common one I see though is a DJ, and mostly TT for all models. They are plenty out there. Never seen a Daytona in the wild.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote