The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2020, 04:02 AM   #1
BHAV301286
"TRF" Member

Good price for a 2019 Hulk?

I’ve been offered a 2019 Hulk for £12k with tags, boxes and papers. I understand they retail at £7.5k which I have been told by an AD I will never get. I do apologise if this is a silly question, I’m quite new to the watch world and learning as I go along. I thank you in advance for any help you can offer 🙂
BHAV301286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:11 AM   #2
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Price is totally whether or not you think it’s worth it. IMHO paying above retail for a watch is not worth it. What I can tell you is that the 116610 LVC is an amazing watch and I do own one. I guess I was one of the people a few years back to grab them when they could still be had sitting around an AD’s shelf. If I didn’t own one now and had to pay what the grey price is, I would most likely look at another brand.

I really like Rolex watches and own a few. 116610 LN and LV as well as 116710 BLNR on oyster. You could say I’m a fan. But at the prices they’re going for on the secondary market or new from greys and the SS shortage, lately I find myself looking at other brands. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

If it’s from a reputable dealer then it’s a good price in the sense that you won’t get a similar example for significantly less in this country unless you find a private seller, accepting the attendant risks.

Whether it’s intrinsically a good price is another matter. I think there’s a reasonable chance that prices will come down eventually, though I’m not a soothsayer.

I love mine, but £12k gives you access to a lot of alternatives.
Old 25 January 2020, 09:19 AM   #4
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Personally, I just get pay this much over MSRP... If a guy had a watch like that I wanted and was new with papers, etc I would be kay with $1,000 extra. That covers his time to advertise and I don't think it makes them rich or breaks me financially. But 50% more? Never.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:20 AM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
To answer your question at today’s market yes it’s a good price.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I never did nor would I pay over msrp for a new Rolex or any brand but yes, on todays grey market that sounds fair.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:03 AM   #7
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I wouldn’t (and didn’t) pay a dime over MSRP for the hulk.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

That's a fair price, if not necessarily a good one. You could do a little better in the U.S., but it's almost certainly not worth the hassle (and potential costs) to import. If you want the watch and you trust the source, no reason not to bite.

You could, of course, refuse to pay more than MSRP (as some people in the thread wouldn't), but I'd imagine that in your case that's exactly the same as simply not buying the watch at all.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's in the right ball park for the UK in today's ridiculous market.

It's a fantastic watch which is easy to love and hard to take off.

I couldn't get listed anywhere for a Hulk. My AD said that they didn't think all their listed customers would get one, such was the size of their annual allocation compared to the length of their list. So I went grey. I've never regretted it, although in those days (under 2 years ago) £8.5K was possible.

Crazy world huh?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've never regretted it, although in those days (under 2 years ago) £8.5K was possible.
This is an important point. £12k is a fair price now. It could turn out to be a steal in two years, or the market could crash and you could have bought at a peak. There's an inherent gamble in paying aftermarket prices, because the market rate fluctuates.

I'm inclined to say, pay the going rate and don't think too hard about it. If you'll feel terrible to find in a year that the price has gone down, then you probably can't really afford the watch in the first place.

It's a lovely watch. I don't even especially like green, and I think it's a lovely watch. It's all slick and metallic and ooh-shiny.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:15 AM   #11
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Thats too much
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:19 AM   #12
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I wouldn’t (and didn’t) pay a dime over MSRP for the hulk.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:21 AM   #13
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The only Rolex I have paid over retail for is the DaytonaC. I did this because my AD (who has gotten me every SS I wanted) said that there is zero chance. So no OP, I would not pay over retail for a Hulk.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:12 PM   #14
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Picked up a nice one this week for the equivalent of $10,000 GBP from a private individual. Had my watchmaker assess and open up the case to confirm it was real.

$12,000 GBP sounds like the price a grey market dealer would charge as I have a couple around here who are asking that amount in CAD equivalent.

You're in the UK. You're shit out of luck when it comes to resources to find one of these unlike myself in North American market, there's plenty if you take your time and look around.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:29 PM   #15
watchspike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Picked up a nice one this week for the equivalent of $10,000 GBP from a private individual. Had my watchmaker assess and open up the case to confirm it was real.

$12,000 GBP sounds like the price a grey market dealer would charge as I have a couple around here who are asking that amount in CAD equivalent.

You're in the UK. You're shit out of luck when it comes to resources to find one of these unlike myself in North American market, there's plenty if you take your time and look around.
Agreed, the UK is a shit place to buy Rolex, both in Ads (although that's a worldwide phenomenon) and in greys as it's a sellers market over here due to the way these watches end up over seas, leaving less choice for the local brits.

Just came back from a trip to Hong Kong where full set Hulks can be had from greys for around £10k. Of course I'd rather wait for one at an AD but then I have decent history with one so my chances may be better then others.
watchspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:34 PM   #16
Cesium137
Banned

Pull the trigger baller!
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:45 PM   #17
peterpl
Banned

Give yourself a holiday to Asia, HK or Singapore even Malaysia - you'll get one much cheaper than $12k pounds. $12k pounds is like $15.7 USD.

Its too high.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:26 PM   #18
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...er=1&year=2019

Yes sounds reasonable.

But ask yourself an equally important question: Do you trust that seller?

PS. and don't worry about people here that are saying that you shouldn't pay over retail, they are not telling you how much they spend at their AD before they could actually get their watches at MSRP.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:42 PM   #19
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
No, buying at these crazy prices just feeds the hype.

I was in the market for a Hulk last year, but I quit looking out of frustration. Bought an Oris Aquis Green and haven't looked back. If the steel sport market calms down, I might look again, but until then (if it ever happens), I'm content to sit on the sidelines.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:16 PM   #20
Vicente
"TRF" Member

Agree, the price is the fair market value, if you like it and trust the seller, buy it. Not paying above msrp are for those who purchased it before the hype, had a long purchase history with AD or connections to pull some strings. Other than that, for the average joe, if you really love the hulk, grey is the only way to go

For whatever reason, hulk is more difficult to source, I myself got Batman , sub and sub date all from AD at msrp from october 2019 until december 2019. Now for these models , which are less difficult to obtain ( relative to hulk ), one may argue not paying above msrp
Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:33 PM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...er=1&year=2019

Yes sounds reasonable.

But ask yourself an equally important question: Do you trust that seller?

PS. and don't worry about people here that are saying that you shouldn't pay over retail, they are not telling you how much they spend at their AD before they could actually get their watches at MSRP.
I asked for the restroom key back in 2006
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:42 PM   #22
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAV301286 View Post
I’ve been offered a 2019 Hulk for £12k with tags, boxes and papers. I understand they retail at £7.5k which I have been told by an AD I will never get. I do apologise if this is a silly question, I’m quite new to the watch world and learning as I go along. I thank you in advance for any help you can offer ��
I'd try to negotiate down to £10.5K-£10.7K, if possible.

Also, I'm going to go against the grain and guess that the Hulk doesn't get discontinued this Basel. I expect a sell-off.
Old 25 January 2020, 03:36 PM   #23
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I don't think the Hulk will get discontinued either, BUT, I do believe it will get taken off the oyster bracelet and put on a jubilee with a slight revision in the lugs on the case so that you can't put an oyster on it.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:20 PM   #24
Ihatecheese
Banned

5k more cos I want it now!!! 10k same day delivery!?
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:28 PM   #25
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
I don't think the Hulk will get discontinued either, BUT, I do believe it will get taken off the oyster bracelet and put on a jubilee with a slight revision in the lugs on the case so that you can't put an oyster on it.
...why?
Old 25 January 2020, 04:30 PM   #26
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Don't feed the greys. They're the ones that's buying them up at the AD so you have to pay the markup. No demand = no market. Let them crash and burn
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:55 PM   #27
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BUT, I do believe it will get taken off the oyster bracelet and put on a jubilee
I hope not - that sounds horrific!

In any case the GMT has history with the jubilee whereas (afaik) the Sub doesn't.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:59 PM   #28
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:

That’s interesting. So you really think Rolex will alter the lugs? Just curious what makes you think that?

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:27 PM   #29
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
That’s interesting. So you really think Rolex will alter the lugs? Just curious what makes you think that?

They won't. No reason to put a dive watch on jubilee. Empty speculation. They'd put the Dayton on one first. The GMT got it to differentiate it from the Submariner/dive watch and the sport models like the Explorers, and it's pm counterparts.
Rolex isn't jubilee crazy and the oyster is just as popular. They might give it pcls, but even that is highly doubtful.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:33 PM   #30
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchspike View Post
Just came back from a trip to Hong Kong where full set Hulks can be had from greys for around £10k. Of course I'd rather wait for one at an AD but then I have decent history with one so my chances may be better then others.
OP.... can you find a flight to HK from UK for under £2k? If so here is a better deal straightaway. I'd also look at private sellers like another poster said.

Ignore the "never over MSRP" cult, it's misleading and weird.

If you can afford it and want it you should pay it. The price is fair in the current market.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote