The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 January 2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Icon4 Rolex DayDate 18239:Anyone ever change the gold spring bars as a precaution?

TLDR: Anyone ever change the gold spring bars on a DD as a precautionary move?

Read:

I have a 1989-1991(est) DD and will begin wearing it more often. But there's still SS springs inside the bars and I'm unsure if they're seized or even robust anymore.

I've had SS Rolexeses where the bars lose spring integrity over time with band swaps, salt water swimming etc but losing or dropping a DD would be a disaster. So, I'm trying to avoid one.

Anyone ever change them? How long do they last? Who kept the gold bars and what was the cost?

Thanks in advance

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Now I know why the main Rolex forum is the dumpster for all postings... this is what happens when you post in the appropriate forum.

*crickets*

Old 10 January 2020, 09:20 PM   #3
nevergiveup
Banned

I have my DD spring bars replaced often say every five years or when serviced for the reasons you mention. Btw I wear mine as my one and only and swim with it ! Where taking 18k bars ?
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
I have my DD spring bars replaced often say every five years or when serviced for the reasons you mention. Btw I wear mine as my one and only and swim with it ! Where taking 18k bars ?
Thank you

I don’t understand this question.

Old 11 January 2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I guess it should say "We are talking 18k bars?"...?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I guess it should say "We are talking 18k bars?"...?
Thank you

I assume they’re 10k or 14k.

For a spring bar I would assume 18k to be a bit soft?

Might need to ask Bas or another TechExp.
Old 11 January 2020, 11:54 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I did change the gold springbars on an 1803 I bought because I had no way to know how old they were or if the springsteel inside the gold sleeves was corroded.

Not cheap compared to a steel springbar, but cheaper than the potential consequences of a springbar failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Read:

I have a 1989-1991(est) DD and will begin wearing it more often. But there's still SS springs inside the bars and I'm unsure if they're seized or even robust anymore.

I've had SS Rolexeses where the bars lose spring integrity over time with band swaps, salt water swimming etc but losing or dropping a DD would be a disaster. So, I'm trying to avoid one.

Anyone ever change them? How long do they last? Who kept the gold bars and what was the cost?

Thanks in advance

I don't have a DD, but I would absolutely change the spring bars in your situation. In fact, if I did have a watch with spring bars containing any gold, I would seriously consider using SS spring bars instead. I know you'd be able to see it through the tiny holes in the end links when you took off the watch, but I would be paranoid about depending on a spring bar that was less durable than it could be.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:17 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I don't have a DD, but I would absolutely change the spring bars in your situation. In fact, if I did have a watch with spring bars containing any gold, I would seriously consider using SS spring bars instead. I know you'd be able to see it through the tiny holes in the end links when you took off the watch, but I would be paranoid about depending on a spring bar that was less durable than it could be.
I was told you can’t. Even the link pins are gold because gold on ss results in abrasive wear. I’m no expert in this area but I’ve heard it’s a no no with the DD.
Old 11 January 2020, 04:10 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Read:

Thanks in advance

Hi Chewy, hope all is well

People rarely come in for new spring bars, let alone 18k gold ones.
Yes they're like any other spring bar and can fail, I always charge for them when I make a full service price estimate but I know that not every watchmaker does this. Over here they're €80 for the two including tax.

How long they last depends on several factors, most of which you already stated, keeping the watch clean is also quite important because often the dirt will mess with the spring bar over the years. Personally I would change them every service if it was my own watch.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:24 PM   #11
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
I was told you can’t. Even the link pins are gold because gold on ss results in abrasive wear. I’m no expert in this area but I’ve heard it’s a no no with the DD.
You know, that does make sense that the SS would do that. Too bad. I guess the best option is definitely to change them out on a regular basis.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:45 AM   #12
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

from an AD, the 18K spring bars will run you right around $200 for the pair
Old 12 January 2020, 01:07 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Hi Chewy, hope all is well

People rarely come in for new spring bars, let alone 18k gold ones.
Yes they're like any other spring bar and can fail, I always charge for them when I make a full service price estimate but I know that not every watchmaker does this. Over here they're €80 for the two including tax.

How long they last depends on several factors, most of which you already stated, keeping the watch clean is also quite important because often the dirt will mess with the spring bar over the years. Personally I would change them every service if it was my own watch.

Thank you Bas and all for the input and advice.

Old 20 January 2020, 10:52 AM   #14
aayates
"TRF" Member

Fyi, had my 18238 serviced a few months ago and rsc charged $104 u.s. for 2 18k spring bars; had to trade-in my old ones; they said were worn during estimate.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:58 AM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Very cheap price for the peace of mind you get.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:13 AM   #16
aayates
"TRF" Member

I agree. I had no idea the spring bars were 18k spec. I saw the earlier post about wear and maybe that's the issue? Anyway I like my all gold watch including spring bars. Ok haters, tell me about the stainless crown tube that's in there somewhere (jusk kidding).
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote