The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 4 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #1
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Rehaut/dial alignment question

Seems like it is a pretty common thing for the rehaut to not align perfectly with the dial, i.e the rehaut crown is not perfectly aligned with the 60 minute marker on the dial. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on why this happens or any definitive explanations. My watch maker has told me that it is the dials that are printed slightly crooked, but I've heard other explanations as well.

I'm just curious if this alignment can be adjusted at all? Can a watchmaker adjust the position of the movement in the case before securing it down, or does a whole new dial need to be installed?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Dr.Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tautology View Post
Seems like it is a pretty common thing for the rehaut to not align perfectly with the dial, i.e the rehaut crown is not perfectly aligned with the 60 minute marker on the dial. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on why this happens or any definitive explanations. My watch maker has told me they it is the dials that are printed slightly crooked, but I've heard other explanations as well.

I'm just curious if this alignment can be adjusted at all? Can a watchmaker adjusting the position of the movement in the case before securing it down, or does a whole new dial need to be installed?

If they did not have the Rolex Rolex branding on the rehaut in the real world there would be no alignment points,today these so called alignment points are mainly in that OCD persons head.The dial is attached to the movements top plate by what they call dial feet.Now there is a minuscule amount of lateral movement both ways, so if what some call misaligned rehaut crown by a width of a cats whisker. It will have no effect of telling the time or function of the watch only in that OCD alignment persons head.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 01:17 AM   #3
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If they did not have the Rolex Rolex branding on the rehaut in the real world there would be no alignment points,today these are mainly in that OCD persons head.The dial is attached to the movements top plate by what they call dial feet.Now there is a minuscule amount of lateral movement both ways, so if what some call misaligned rehaut crown by a width of a cats whisker. It will have no effect of telling the time or function of the watch only in that OCD alignment persons head.
Gotcha, so it's the consumers fault if they are annoyed by an imperfection? It couldn't possibly be a flaw or defect from Rolex. Misalignments are totally acceptable. I personally love misaligned bezels, dial markers etc.

If it is crooked and misaligned, then it is crooked and misaligned and people have every right to find it unacceptable on a +10k watch. I wasn't asking for someone to pass judgement, just an explanation.

Old 4 February 2020, 02:23 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Gotcha, so it's the consumers fault if they are annoyed by an imperfection? It couldn't possibly be a flaw or defect from Rolex. Misalignments are totally acceptable. I personally love misaligned bezels, dial markers etc.

If it is crooked and misaligned, then it is crooked and misaligned and people have every right to find it unacceptable on a +10k watch. I wasn't asking for someone to pass judgement, just an explanation.

I explained why this might happen the dial is attached to the movement by dial feet to the top plate and there is a tiny bit of lateral movement both ways.The rehaut is part of the case so cannot move, but if this Rolex branding or crown was not on the rehaut everyone's dial would line up somewhere.And why it has to align with anything defeats me,as no matter it will not effect the running or the timekeeping of the watch.So how can it be like you call a flaw, the dial is just painted numbers on a brass plate, but it can be moved slightly by adjustment of around 1 mm but hardly worth the trouble of opening any watch up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 02:46 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

It's almost always down to the movement being slightly askew in the case.

There is a few degrees of rotation possible with the movement in the case and the stem in the tube. Just need to loosen the casing screws, re-centre and off you go.

RE your comment on flaws on a $10k watch being unacceptable. Perfection does not exist at any price. There is always a tolerance for error, sometimes brands fix things as a goodwill gesture when it is technically in-spec. Sometimes brands tell the customer it's in spec and that's that. Can be a coin toss.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 03:03 AM   #6
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It's almost always down to the movement being slightly askew in the case.

There is a few degrees of rotation possible with the movement in the case and the stem in the tube. Just need to loosen the casing screws, re-centre and off you go.

RE your comment on flaws on a $10k watch being unacceptable. Perfection does not exist at any price. There is always a tolerance for error, sometimes brands fix things as a goodwill gesture when it is technically in-spec. Sometimes brands tell the customer it's in spec and that's that. Can be a coin toss.
Thank you. Exactly what I was interested in knowing. Believe me, I know perfection doesn't exist in an object. I've turned down several watches because of this, because it does bother me. But if what you are saying is correct I'd probably be more accepting of it, especially if it's something that can easily be corrected during a service.

Old 4 February 2020, 03:06 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rehaut/dial alignment question

Mounting the movement into the midcase has less chance for error than other matters Padi brought up. That’s because the alignment with the stem is a very close tolerance.

But the feet on the rear of the dial, plus the holes where they rest, have more chance for error as they are independent steps. The holes on the plate need to have some accommodation for 0.5 mm variance in the dial feet.

This is why some people also noticed similar issues even before engraved rehauts appeared. Back then it was “my dial’s crown isn’t straight”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #8
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I explained why this might happen the dial is attached to the movement by dial feet to the top plate and there is a tiny bit of lateral movement both ways.The rehaut is part of the case so cannot move, but if this Rolex branding or crown was not on the rehaut everyone's dial would line up somewhere.And why it has to align with anything defeats me,as no matter it will not effect the running or the timekeeping of the watch.So how can it be like you call a flaw, the dial is just painted numbers on a brass plate, but it can be moved slightly by adjustment of around 1 mm but hardly worth the trouble of opening any watch up.
I appreciate the explanation but saying that it is a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder or any mental health condition is simply not necessary. Symmetry is an incredibly important aspect in the study of aesthetics, and a natural human observation. Looking at a Sub for instance, a person will have a natural expectation of symmetry between the bezel, dial and rehaut. If one of those things are off, even by a small margin, humans can and will notice it.

Old 4 February 2020, 03:33 AM   #9
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Mounting the movement into the midcase has less chance for error than other matters Padi brought up. That’s because the alignment with the stem is a very close tolerance.

But the feet on the rear of the dial, plus the holes where they rest, have more chance for error as they are independent steps. The holes on the plate need to have some accommodation for 0.5 mm variance in the dial feet.

This is why some people also noticed similar issues even before engraved rehauts appeared. Back then it was “my dial’s crown isn’t straight”

Thanks for the information. I have only seen them off by a 1mm at most and oddly the dial always appears be left aligned of the rehaut. I was really just curious if there is any movement possible in the dial once mounted to the movement before the feet are secured, or if there is any play in the movement before it is secured in the case.

Old 4 February 2020, 03:54 AM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I respectfully disagree.

The stem can fit in to the movement with a surprisingly noticeable degree of
offcentredness.

Not saying issues are never down to dial feet. But remember not all Rolex dials use dial feet either.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 05:51 AM   #11
ttmedical
"TRF" Member

Can't unsee!

While I have nothing technical to add to this discussion, I am so annoyed I read it. Now I can't unsee my bluesy rehault being a fraction of a millimeter off!

On the other hand, I was using the rehault crown at 12 to align the inverted triangle on the bezel and kept thinking the bezel was off. As it turns out, the bezel is perfectly aligned, just the rehault is off!

I hope to forget this thread when I bring my Daytona back into circulation hahah!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:48 PM   #12
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
One of the benefits of getting older, the eyesight isn’t what it used to be, so if I can’t see this misalignment I won’t worry about it.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 06:14 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Personally, I am always suspicious if rehaut is out.
Especially if its random i.e coronet is correct but "R" at 9 oclock is out (or vice versa)

I understand dial can be adjusted (say) 1 mm - but that would put it all out.

I have seen genuine ROLEX with rehaut 'randomly' out - but its rare and make me personally check everything else very closely.
A
Old 18 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #14
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Personally, I am always suspicious if rehaut is out.
Especially if its random i.e coronet is correct but "R" at 9 oclock is out (or vice versa)

I understand dial can be adjusted (say) 1 mm - but that would put it all out.

I have seen genuine ROLEX with rehaut 'randomly' out - but its rare and make me personally check everything else very closely.
A
It's definitely not a rare issue. I see them at ADs all the time. I turned down a 116610LN from my AD this year because it was out about 2mm. Jewelery shop by me gets tons of used modern Rolex and I'd say more than half the time the rehaut is off. I think most people who can afford these have old clapped-out peepers, so they just don't notice.

Old 18 February 2020, 06:47 AM   #15
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
It's definitely not a rare issue.
As I say, I too also have seen it - then again, I see a lot more that are spot on.

But my 'worry' is more if one letter is out or coronet at 12 is out while others align, as that can not be adjusted

Old 23 June 2020, 08:50 AM   #16
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I happen to see one brand new at an AD recently that was misaligned. My friend refused and they took it back. Thanks to them.

Its not about being OCD or anything. I for one would want an expensive watch to have perfect alignment. Especially since there is a vast majority of them that are. I believe if all of them were misaligned somehow, it would be considered normal. But since that's not the case, noone wants to have a flawed watch.

Its like all burgers come with Tomato, some don't want a Tomato and take it out at order. If some were told that theirs doesnt come with tomato while most do, now all of a sudden the same group will take an issue with it.

Poor analogy but human psychic works in a very competitive way.

I for one would not accept a piece with misalignment. That's just me and I am happy being me.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #17
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:

EXACTLY. Don't fret, some just like to see their post counts go up.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:26 PM   #18
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
I don't think you have a mental illness because you want things to lineup. But I'm not a doctor lol.

Seriously though, I never actually looked. So I'm happy to report that my sky dweller aligns perfectly. Given the fact that there is some "play" in the various parts, We have to conclude that it is not a coincident mine is spot on. Someone obviously took the time to align it. I guess that's good news which means yours must be correctable. But I also assume that means whenever your watch is sent in for service It could get slightly out of alignment again.

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote