The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 August 2019, 04:47 AM   #1
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Would like to know more about the Tudor 9411/0

I've been smitten by the blue dial / bezel of the Tudor 9411/0, but I know next to nothing about them. I own a 16710, Hulk and DD40, but nothing as old as one of these. I do understand that some of these were military issue, and that interests me a lot as a former active duty member.

Prices seem to be all over the map, from 8k-13k, which I'm not totally understanding. Some that are below 10k look a lot better than those in the higher bracket, and I'm not talking about the vintage look - more like "how is this water-damaged watch selling for 13k?!"

Anyone have good knowledge of them that they'd like to share? Any owners out there that can talk about their experience? Not too concerned with future value, but definitely don't want to spend 10k on something that's worth 5k.

A pic off the internet to appease the TRF gods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0c78c99fe9b79706912d6197519618908932a9cd.jpg (138.7 KB, 335 views)
Old 17 August 2019, 09:14 AM   #2
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
A good case, dial, and hands will fetch 8-10 and above depending on condition.

There are some really lousy ones out there for more than 10 ; )

Find one that sings to you and post a link so we can comment on it ; )
Old 17 August 2019, 01:21 PM   #3
GADNYC
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Of course the mantra "buy the seller should always be followed", but I am of the opinion that without box and papers, it's a pass for me. I may be in the minority here and I'm sure someone will say that papers can also be replicated, but I've seen MANY vintage watches with aftermarket pieces of dubious provenance. Given the price point of such pieces, I would pay up for a full set. The blue snowflake is a special watch, I have the later reference 79090 in blue (alas, not snowflake hands)

Last edited by GADNYC; 17 August 2019 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: add a comment
GADNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADNYC View Post
Of course the mantra "buy the seller should always be followed", but I am of the opinion that without box and papers, it's a pass for me. I may be in the minority here and I'm sure someone will say that papers can also be replicated, but I've seen MANY vintage watches with aftermarket pieces of dubious provenance. Given the price point of such pieces, I would pay up for a full set. The blue snowflake is a special watch, I have the later reference 79090 in blue (alas, not snowflake hands)
Agree with this. I've seen some very good fake 9411's.
Mr Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 09:59 PM   #5
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I'd say you'll pay at least 10K for a good one. Some of these have bubbled dials which may or may not lower the value. It is not indicative of dial damage but some age this way. The look of these snowflakes is all over the place which I think makes them particularly interesting. There appear to be a large number of fakes out there so you should post a pic or 2 here before purchasing. There are quite a few experts here willing to help.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 03:20 AM   #6
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADNYC View Post

Papers, particularly with Tudor papers that more often are not punched and often faked or found loose unmarked, are not a good indicator of the legitimacy of the watch.

Papers are often less found with a Tudor 40-50 years later than with a Rolex.
Old 19 August 2019, 04:04 PM   #7
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I've been smitten by the blue dial / bezel of the Tudor 9411/0, but I know next to nothing about them. I own a 16710, Hulk and DD40, but nothing as old as one of these. I do understand that some of these were military issue, and that interests me a lot as a former active duty member.

Prices seem to be all over the map, from 8k-13k, which I'm not totally understanding. Some that are below 10k look a lot better than those in the higher bracket, and I'm not talking about the vintage look - more like "how is this water-damaged watch selling for 13k?!"

Anyone have good knowledge of them that they'd like to share? Any owners out there that can talk about their experience? Not too concerned with future value, but definitely don't want to spend 10k on something that's worth 5k.

A pic off the internet to appease the TRF gods.
The 9411/0 started out in the early mid-70s, superceeding the 7021/0, which was the snowflake with a date, and was prone to dial rot(bubbling of the dials). the dials on the 9411/0 & the 94110 was supposed to be featuring improved dial quality. WRT to the military issued pieces, I believe those to be the non-date snowflakes like the 7016/0, the 9401/0 & the 94010. Thus far, I have not come across any military issued 9411s, but then again, many vintage Tudors have very little kept history.

the blue dials are certainly alot more desirable than the black dial snowflakes, for several reasons(that's another topic altogether). But generally, the blue dials go for more money, the ETA based movements are easy to service, and parts aren't too much of a hassle.

the varying price ranges are due to the condition and originality of the watches; u have to bear in mind that Tudor back in the 70s were not that popular, and many were used and abused, given the price range of these watches. there are many stories of how these watches were used as tools, and even when serviced, many owners probably used inferior parts, and not bringing the watches back to RSC to service, but rather, serviced by external watchmakers , and aftermarket parts may have been used to replace old ones.

having said that, u can find some really decent examples, u just have to be patient and look out for the normal things when sourcing for a vintage.

I used Tudor collector's website for a better understanding of vintage tudors, esp the Submariners.

Good luck, and hope u find a nice example, at the right price.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:49 PM   #8
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for the information everyone.

I guess I didn't realize that this is a watch with plenty of fakes; I've been scouring ebay and thought that if I happened upon one at a decent price, I'd jump.

Definitely going to take it here first...thanks again!
Old 22 August 2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Would like to know more about the Tudor 9411/0

I think I've seen a few show up from time to time on HQ Milton. Keep an eye out on there

Edit: there's one for sale there now

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...r-9411-0-A1710
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 11:34 PM   #10
jasebird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
What do you guys think about the one in the link above… At HQ Milton… This one is speaking to me .....price??
jasebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 11:48 PM   #11
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasebird View Post
What do you guys think about the one in the link above… At HQ Milton… This one is speaking to me .....price??
The repair to the hand, plus the overall corrosion on them (hands will get corroded, but this is a bit much for me) along with the spot on the dial between the 10 and 11 marker, and the crack on the 12 lume, I just know would be glaring issues for me every time I looked at it. Plus, if you ever sold it, those issues would become a sore point
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 01:45 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Getting harder and harder to find good ones now...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 02:07 AM   #13
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Getting harder and harder to find good ones now...
Scooped this one up a couple weeks back, and it is 100% a keeper.
Old 28 September 2019, 08:23 AM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Scooped this one up a couple weeks back, and it is 100% a keeper.
Very nice. Welcome to the club!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:00 AM   #15
jasebird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
The repair to the hand, plus the overall corrosion on them (hands will get corroded, but this is a bit much for me) along with the spot on the dial between the 10 and 11 marker, and the crack on the 12 lume, I just know would be glaring issues for me every time I looked at it. Plus, if you ever sold it, those issues would become a sore point
Yes… So thankful for your response but it’s super hard to find a really good one these days… Not sure I can afford an absolutely perfect one plus love a little bit of patina for sure. Thanks for your response
jasebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 10:59 AM   #16
beachboy17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tdr Sub 7021 Snflk
Stay away from that piece....if you are on IG, follow LunarOyster......he gets some nice snowflakes on occasion. There is a guy in London, named Marc, M_J Watches on IG......he gets alot of snowflakes also......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasebird View Post
beachboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 09:12 AM   #17
beachboy17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tdr Sub 7021 Snflk
As said earlier...buy the dealer...i actually have a beautiful 7021, purchased from Alessandro Cianni. Vintage dealer out of LA. Took me 18 mos to find the exact piece I wanted. All original, no service inserts, no service dial with original hands. Need to always BUY THE DEALER when you are talking vintage. The better ones will go for 10k to 14k depending on condition and possibly more with BnP.
beachboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote