The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2009, 02:24 PM   #1
dcmachead

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Flying off the shelves...

This past Sunday I went to my suburban Washington, DC AD to pick up a 31mm Datejust for my wife's sister. While we were getting the watch sized, I saw 3 Rolexes sell--a gold Daytona, a spiffy Milgaus and the watch we bought.

Looking at the display case, there weren't a lot of watches to pick from--they've normally got quite a selection. I asked the dealer why and he said people are buying Rolexes with "both hands". It was definitely startling to see 3 watches like that sell in 20 minutes.

Anyone else noticed dealers running light on inventory?
dcmachead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Its different everywhere but I do think in general heavily discounting ad's are low on stock

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
dcmachead

Good point. I should have noted that I got 20% off on the model we purchased.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it does depend on where you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Its different everywhere but I do think in general heavily discounting ad's are low on stock
Was in a few ADs today and unfortunately for them, they haven't been very busy. Hoping it will turn around soon.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
rolexsubdate
Banned

At even 20% off, people are thinking and rethinking .... I seriouusly doubt luxury items are flying off the shelves because one of the great things about this global recession is that it has taught people to rethink luxuries ....and learn to be without them ...
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmachead View Post
This past Sunday I went to my suburban Washington, DC AD to pick up a 31mm Datejust for my wife's sister. While we were getting the watch sized, I saw 3 Rolexes sell--a gold Daytona, a spiffy Milgaus and the watch we bought.

Looking at the display case, there weren't a lot of watches to pick from--they've normally got quite a selection. I asked the dealer why and he said people are buying Rolexes with "both hands". It was definitely startling to see 3 watches like that sell in 20 minutes.

Unfortunatley its the exception and not the rule as many ADs are sitting on TONS of unsold stock.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I am going to GUESS, that with the economy relatively depressed now in the USA the ADs are giving more generous discounts. In Hong Kong, where our big neighbour China is having double digit GDP growth still and who many come to Hong Kong to buy high end watches, we are seeing very minimal discounting from the ADs. I also noticed that there are a lot of US based online watch retailers with great prices... I dare say with even better rates than in Hong Kong. I just think its the US economy not in as great shape as what it used to be, and secondly, we are talking about luxury items here, so its stands to reason that you may be seeing better discounting.

Great for you guys who have saved up for a rainy day.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is it bonus season over there?
Old 16 December 2009, 05:17 PM   #9
larrysb

Quote:

Washington DC is one of the few places in the USA where the economy is growing. Government jobs are pretty good these days.

Even in affluent and seemingly recession proof Silicon Valley, the AD's are open to discounting and inventory isn't moving all that fast, especially not the expensive stuff. I've had my eye on YG GMT's, and they haven't moved, cause the serial numbers are the same.

I just got a smokin' deal on a Day Date in Vegas.
larrysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 11:16 PM   #10
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Quote:

DC may be a bit different. Fair amount of money and TONS of diplomats who seems to have unlimited buying power (not to mention FREE PARKING).
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I don't know what to think about the "times". Some ADs have tons of Rolex product in the case some don't. This I do know the DateJust II is present in all cases I have seen. The ADs advise the DJ II has not taken off. Subs (supplys are drying up big time), GMT II, YM, and Daytonas are the order of the day. Everyone wants em.
Old 17 December 2009, 01:14 AM   #12
Smokeytreats

Watch: Milgauss White
I was at a Large Retailer AD here in TX last weekend and they finally had a DJII in the case. I asked to see it and before I could get it on my wrist the saleslady said.."I can do a very good price on that watch right now, and if you want it in white we can get that one too." I did not inquire to the exact discount but I have a feeling the AD's are trying very hard to make numbers this quarter.
Smokeytreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 01:44 AM   #13
novae500
"TRF" Member

Quote:

which AD was this? i was at lenkedorfer couple sundays ago and the SA wouldn't really discount at all. they had maybe a dozen or so rolexes in the showcase.. 6 Daytons, 2 subs, 2 gmtIIc and a couple yachtmasters

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 02:22 AM   #14
Salmosalar
"TRF" Member

Watch: TUDOR ICONAUT
Icon14 The new frugality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
At even 20% off, people are thinking and rethinking .... I seriouusly doubt luxury items are flying off the shelves because one of the great things about this global recession is that it has taught people to rethink luxuries ....and learn to be without them ...
I agree.

There have been a number of articles in the main stream media about how consumers at all income levels are being frugal.

Frugality is one of the ways by which this country will realign it's finances and gain back economic health.

For example, as of Friday the rural county in which I reside will only have one new auto dealer handling both GM and Ford. Within the last ten years we had as many as five new car dealerships.
Old 17 December 2009, 03:10 AM   #15
novae500
"TRF" Member

the only place i see where economy really hasn't affected people is at the Louis Vuitton boutiques around here....

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 03:22 AM   #16
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
the only place i see where economy really hasn't affected people is at the Louis Vuitton boutiques around here....
In SoCal at South Coast Plaza there is a rope corridor to navigate before you can even be assisted at the Tiffany & Co. store, Chanel Boutique is full in the purse and cosmetic section, the Louis Vuitton store is at least 3 deep at the purse counter, etc. etc. etc.

The OC Register this morning reported home prices up 8.1% in OC. So, it appears things are turning around to some extent at least in this area.
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 09:09 AM   #17
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
In SoCal at South Coast Plaza there is a rope corridor to navigate before you can even be assisted at the Tiffany & Co. store, Chanel Boutique is full in the purse and cosmetic section, the Louis Vuitton store is at least 3 deep at the purse counter, etc. etc. etc.

The OC Register this morning reported home prices up 8.1% in OC. So, it appears things are turning around to some extent at least in this area.
Interesting, I'm going to have to check that article on home prices out. On the face of it it's hard to reconcile that statistic with the OC unemployment rate (9.6% compared to 5.9% a year ago). . .
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 10:38 AM   #18
dcmachead

Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
which AD was this? i was at lenkedorfer couple sundays ago and the SA wouldn't really discount at all. they had maybe a dozen or so rolexes in the showcase.. 6 Daytons, 2 subs, 2 gmtIIc and a couple yachtmasters
Fink's.

My first interest in Rolex was when I was in Lenkersdorfer and I saw a silver-colored Daytona. I thought, "NICE WATCH! I WANT ONE!" I asked to see it, the salesman pulled it out and I saw the pricetag on it was $30k+ (White Gold with meteorite dial). I told the salesman that's more than I wanted to spend, but I had an interest in something more inexpensive. He looked at me and said sternly, "you shouldn't be looking at Rolex if that's your concern." I walked out.

My next dealing with that company was when the salesman from Lillenquist & Beckstead (same company, different name due to close geographic proximity) b*tched at me for pitting him against Lenkersdorfer when pricing out a watch.

Anyway, Finks is very customer service oriented and they take good care of their customers.
Old 17 December 2009, 10:41 AM   #19
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Is it bonus season over there?
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 10:41 AM   #20
DanP
Banned