The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 February 2018, 02:07 PM   #1
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
Interesting Tudor 7020 on eBay

I’ve never seen one with such a bezel. Is it genuine?

1969 Tudor Oyster Prince Day/Date Rotor Self-Winding 7020 All Original Watch
Old 21 February 2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

I do think so.....although, I am not an expert. The bezel is essentially a mark 1. This is the earliest known variant. Later bezels have less hash marks and are much more common.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've never seen that bezel verified as original.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:59 PM   #4
MUCCI416
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Icon8

I own a 7020 and that bezel is not correct. Would be really hard to find an original to replace it.
MUCCI416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:18 AM   #5
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

http://www.luxuwrist.com/store/p166/...ph_-_SOLD.html

Do a Google search for 7020 bezel. Trust me you will see others. That is a mark 1. I bought one of these last year with the more common bezel. A member from here wanted to buy it from me. He sent me a shot of his collection of 7020s. I asked about the hash bezels. He said that they were rare and the first issue. There are some out there.

All things equal that watch should trade stronger given the rarity of the bezel. It is correct and legit.
Old 22 February 2018, 01:31 AM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Mmmmm 7020.

Any excuse to post, any at all. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:54 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post

Do a Google search for 7020 bezel. Trust me you will see others. That is a mark 1. I bought one of these last year with the more common bezel. A member from here wanted to buy it from me. He sent me a shot of his collection of 7020s. I asked about the hash bezels. He said that they were rare and the first issue. There are some out there.

All things equal that watch should trade stronger given the rarity of the bezel. It is correct and legit.
As Dan said there is no definitive proof but I am open to the originality of the bezel. I think it's most likely it's the last bezel not the first. Rolex rarely goes backward and that bezel is an advance on the more familiar one.

It's unfortunate how little we know about the 7XXX DD. All the serials I've ever seen place all production 69-70. These were used as presentation watches for the Cotton Bowl Classic for several years. The last year they were used was 1976 but the serials are all 1969 and most were 7020 with 7017 smooth bezels.

The 7020 above was a 1976 Cotton Bowl watch but at the time I acquired it I was unaware all '76 CB watches were 7020s. I thought the dial was an addition so I acquired a 7017 to put the dial on. I was motivated by the fact I really wanted a 7020.

This was all back in the late Aughts and even less was known then. This is a 69 7017 from the 1974 Cotton Bowl.

This is the 7020 as I acquired it before all the shenanigans.

A few more...

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:25 AM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I've never seen that bezel verified as original.
dP

Ha. You have seen this one before Dan.

This is in the small town that I live in. I was called and offered this watch at a price that was way to high for a watch that cannot be verified as original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:30 AM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We saw this when the seller was trying to sell me his watch in person. Just because there is another one doesn’t mean it is original. There was a lot of debating about this and he was convinced it was original and valuable. I say until Rolex/Tudor services it and gives it the all clear I would question.

Would you be willing to pay $3500 USD and send to Rolex for a service?

Edit: full disclosure it was on a rough leather strap with a deployant clasp when I saw it. No idea where the bracelet came from but he did not have a bracelet or boxes when I looked at it.

Old 22 February 2018, 03:02 AM   #10
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

I am personally not a fan of the hash mark look......it is a little busy for me. That being written, if you do a google image search you will easily find 5 others with the same bezel. It is an early run of them.....not a late run.

This reminds me of the debate about the flake hands on a shield dial 94010 or the swiss only dials on the 7016's. Just because you have not seen it before does not mean it does not exist. The 7020 is just coming out of the shadows now due to price/value. More will be learned about this reference in the near future. I have no dog in this fight. I am neither related to the seller nor am i planning to bid on the watch. Imho, it is legit. Not really pretty compared to the later variant but legit.

with the bracelet and strong case, i would assume it will fetch north of 3. Good luck out there.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:17 AM   #11
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am personally not a fan of the hash mark look......it is a little busy for me. That being written, if you do a google image search you will easily find 5 others with the same bezel. It is an early run of them.....not a late run.

This reminds me of the debate about the flake hands on a shield dial 94010 or the swiss only dials on the 7016's. Just because you have not seen it before does not mean it does not exist. The 7020 is just coming out of the shadows now due to price/value. More will be learned about this reference in the near future. I have no dog in this fight. I am neither related to the seller nor am i planning to bid on the watch. Imho, it is legit. Not really pretty compared to the later variant but legit.

with the bracelet and strong case, i would assume it will fetch north of 3. Good luck out there.

No doubt. The bracelet and end links alone are worth $600-$800 based on eBay sold items. Story I got was it came from a “picker” who sold it to the jewelry store that is now trying to sell it.

I doubt the “picker” found the bracelet and brought it to the store. It may be a period correct, bracelet but is not “original” to that watch. Which is fine but the verbiage in the ad really does not sit right with me.

The case is really nice and the dial is excellent. I am with you on the bezel, not a fan on a watch that is supposed to be more of a dress piece (or would fill that spot in my watch box).

At $3000 even with the bracelet it is a hard pass for me. If it stays in the low 2’s I may play. Pull the bracelet off of it and sell it. Maybe source a smooth bezel.

Old 22 February 2018, 04:55 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

If it was a first run bezel it would have a first run dial [like the one seen in Richard Carver's first pic], which it does not.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 February 2018, 06:20 AM   #13
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
If it was a first run bezel it would have a first run dial [like the one seen in Richard Carver's first pic], which it does not.
dP
Not sure I agree with term "would have" perhaps better to write "based on my assumptions it should have"

Was wild west back them. Lots of items mixed and matched at the factory and the ad. All we can say for sure is that it is possible. I have seen the bezel before and the variant of dial. It is close enough to the first run to be legit in my book. Like the swiss only dials on the 7016 show up all the way to 72 and are mixed with the t swiss t dials. I think fine. Hard rules in rolex and tudor are really just our desire to categorize. In reality......rules don't exist often in this space....just guidelines.
Old 22 February 2018, 06:34 AM   #14
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not sure I agree with term "would have" perhaps better to write "based on my assumptions it should have"

Was wild west back them. Lots of items mixed and matched at the factory and the ad. All we can say for sure is that it is possible. I have seen the bezel before and the variant of dial. It is close enough to the first run to be legit in my book. Like the swiss only dials on the 7016 show up all the way to 72 and are mixed with the t swiss t dials. I think fine. Hard rules in rolex and tudor are really just our desire to categorize. In reality......rules don't exist often in this space....just guidelines.
You are free to think what you want and trust who you want. I've just never seen any evidence that these bezels with the multi hash marks are legit.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 February 2018, 06:51 AM   #15
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
Interesting points of view. As always, I’m grateful for the responses and the shared knowledge & opinions this forum provides.

:)
Old 22 February 2018, 08:58 AM   #16
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Here is what another member sent me a year ago. He described the bezel as a "considerably more rare minute track bezel" I thought he wrote that it was early but he did not. So there you have it. Perhaps not early but definitely in use. Omega has the tachy bezel but also has the telemeter and the heart rate bezel (both of which are very rare)

Old 22 February 2018, 09:21 AM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

I am with Dan. I had never seen this bezel and could not find a photo that had this bezel and dial together. So I viewed it value as a 7020 without box and papers, head only that needs a service. That number was not $3500. Not even close.

I liked the watch, I still like the watch but at the right price.

I agree Gina, there was a lot of shenanigans that happened back then. I remember seeing an AD swap a bezel or dial right in front of my eyes on a Rolex for a client. Who knows what the cards said and if Rolex ever made that combo from the factory.

Bottom line to me was if you think it is a factory original and very rare and want to ask big money for it you will need to prove it. I offered him market price as stated above. And that if he was able to send to Rolex for a service to authenticate I would reconsider.

He opted to throw an old bracelet on it and sell on eBay to test the market and that is his right.

FWIW it is still well below what I offered him last I checked. But the bracelet will drive the price up.

Old 27 February 2018, 02:46 AM   #18
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Looks like, for now at least, it sold for north of 3. i think it is a nice watch and i have a feeling a certain gentlemen in the UK bought it to add to his 7020 stable.
Old 27 February 2018, 05:52 AM   #19
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like, for now at least, it sold for north of 3. i think it is a nice watch and i have a feeling a certain gentlemen in the UK bought it to add to his 7020 stable.

It did. The bracelet adds quite a bit of value to that watch.

I was originally told $3500 with no bracelet, with an off brand roached leather strap.
After I got done laughing I did my research and went up to $2000 head only (as is) as I was going to put it on good leather and probably find a different bezel and definitely get it serviced. I would be all in about $3000, depending on the bezel. Worth it for what I needed/wanted.

I most certainly could have bought this at this price and sold the bracelet and end links for $600-$800 and not been far off. But I have found a couple I like better that are complete sets. Which is more my typical purchase.