The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 February 2018, 11:31 AM   #1
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Legit Check: Buying my first rolex

Greetings guys,

I've been looking around for a while to buy my first Rolex and I came across this forum where there is lots of knowledgeable people. I've read tons of guides online on how to tell if the watch is fake or not (Weight, Quality, date window,etc etc), but I still would like if any more knowledgeable watch connoisseurs could have a look at the current piece I've fallen in love with before I make the jump.

Little background, the price is not too far from MSRP and the watch is used. It is being sold by a jeweler and I've heard and read of tons of horror stories of people getting scammed by "reputable businesses/people" .

Here are some pictures that were sent to me:
imgur. com/a/TRf1U

remove the space between "." and "com"
papidinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Tysonoxide
Banned

Watch: 116520
I think it looks good/legit
Tysonoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 01:42 PM   #3
JZD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papidinero View Post
Greetings guys,

I've been looking around for a while to buy my first Rolex and I came across this forum where there is lots of knowledgeable people. I've read tons of guides online on how to tell if the watch is fake or not (Weight, Quality, date window,etc etc), but I still would like if any more knowledgeable watch connoisseurs could have a look at the current piece I've fallen in love with before I make the jump.

Little background, the price is not too far from MSRP and the watch is used. It is being sold by a jeweler and I've heard and read of tons of horror stories of people getting scammed by "reputable businesses/people" .

Here are some pictures that were sent to me:
imgur. com/a/TRf1U

remove the space between "." and "com"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysonoxide View Post
I think it looks good/legit
You guys working together?
JZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZD View Post
You guys working together?
What? I don’t understand the question.
Old 3 February 2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
The 'weight' 'sweeping hand' and 'date window' checks were thrown out of the window ages ago. You'll end up buying some serious garbage if those are your criteria.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 05:13 PM   #6
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
It is being sold by a jeweler
Watch is fake. So who's the jeweler?

(insert chirping crickets soundtrack here).
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:02 AM   #7
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Watch is fake. So who's the jeweler?

(insert chirping crickets soundtrack here).
Thanks!
Five star jewelers in Miami.
Old 4 February 2018, 06:04 AM   #8
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
The 'weight' 'sweeping hand' and 'date window' checks were thrown out of the window ages ago. You'll end up buying some serious garbage if those are your criteria.
That's what I found from the guides online, hence why I went on here to see if anyone with more knowledge could help me out. What would be things to check? Do you have any guides you recommend?
Old 5 February 2018, 04:16 PM   #9
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Thanks!
Five star jewelers in Miami.
Just saw their IG page and...no comment.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 05:05 PM   #10
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Icon14

If this is your first Rolex, and you are looking at a model that is readily available at an AD consider buying the watch at MSRP. You could also check with one of the major/trusted sellers in the classifieds forum, but they are more suitable when you are either looking for models that depreciate a lot or for models that are generally very hard to find at an AD.

Since this is most likely the beginning of a longer journey, I would suggest going to an AD. Yes, you will loose a bit of money if you would decide to flip the watch shortly after you bought it but going to an AD will also turn your first Rolex purchase more into a nice event than buying online. Nothing wrong with celebrating it a bit :)
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 08:03 PM   #11
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Just saw their IG page and...no comment.
I'm not very knowledgeable about watches, I know people that have bought their watches there (I'm not sure if they got scammed). That watch I wanted had papers and everything how am I able to tell it's fake?
Old 6 February 2018, 08:04 PM   #12
papidinero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dob1 View Post
If this is your first Rolex, and you are looking at a model that is readily available at an AD consider buying the watch at MSRP. You could also check with one of the major/trusted sellers in the classifieds forum, but they are more suitable when you are either looking for models that depreciate a lot or for models that are generally very hard to find at an AD.

Since this is most likely the beginning of a longer journey, I would suggest going to an AD. Yes, you will loose a bit of money if you would decide to flip the watch shortly after you bought it but going to an AD will also turn your first Rolex purchase more into a nice event than buying online. Nothing wrong with celebrating it a bit :)
Will definitely have to, Mayors here in Miami I've hear is super overpriced. But it will probably have to do so I don't get scammed, I really have no clue how to tell if it's legit or not so it's not worth for me to try to get a good deal elsewhere where they can scam me.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Will definitely have to, Mayors here in Miami I've hear is super overpriced. But it will probably have to do so I don't get scammed, I really have no clue how to tell if it's legit or not so it's not worth for me to try to get a good deal elsewhere where they can scam me.
Look on the Rolex.com website for authorized retailers in your area. Go to one of those. They will sell at MSRP or less. Don't expect a great discount on anything that sells easily. If you plan to keep the watch, don't worry about discounts and simply buy what you love.

You are 100% guaranteed an authentic Rolex at the authorized retailer. Anywhere else has some element of risk. There are a half dozen trusted sellers here that have the lowest risk outside an authorized retailer. Once you get out of that circle, your risk increases exponentially. As a new/uninformed buyer, you should consider staying inside the low risk circle.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:10 AM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Buy from a heavyweight of grey dealers, DavidSW, Takuya for example, or from an AD, those 2 guys are beyond honest, zero risk, better to pay a few hundred more and be sure than pay a little less but maybe get a fake, if you are not an expert you will be fooled, some fakes are very good, don’t risk it, would be stupid, the 2 I cited are excellent sellers, there are others but these 2 are kings and never heard of any problems with them
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote