The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2017, 01:30 PM   #1
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Patek Boutique / AD survival skills

ok, as we all know the so called "entry" of Patek are 5167 and 5711

but as we all know again, it seems like you can't find / buy a 5167 and especially 5711 blue dial at any Patek Boutique or AD

need to put our name and wait for like 3 years

is just like cars, BMW need to sell more 3 and 5 series to sustain their business, is not like everybody buying a 7 series

So how do they survive? I don't feel like people just walk in and buy Grand Complications and Repeater on a monthly basis.

just curious
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:02 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL1213 View Post

but as we all know again, it seems like you can't find / buy a 5167 and especially 5711 blue dial at any Patek Boutique or AD

is just like cars, BMW need to sell more 3 and 5 series to sustain their business, is not like everybody buying a 7 series

So how do they survive? I don't feel like people just walk in and buy Grand Complications and Repeater on a monthly basis.

just curious
You make a fair point.
Better to be a Rolex dealer than a Patek dealer me thinks
Old 29 December 2017, 05:11 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I would say they are selling a lot of these watches. A lot, by Patek standards taking total production into account. There are just way more buyers than production. The vast majority of people in this subform have either an Aquanaut or a Nautilus in some variation. Not very many have grand complications. These ss sports watches are out there, but they dont make close to a million watches a year either like Rolex.

Do I really, really want a SS 5711? Nope. But if I had a opportunity to get one I would buy it. Whenever you have people buying or waiting for watches they don't even really want that says everything. Basically everyone who has any interest in Patek would buy it, plus all the speculators and dealers, and thats a lot of competition.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 08:14 PM   #4
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I certainly see your point. However, they must be doing something right. I doubt that sales volume is sustaining them. My Patek Philippe AD - who has, in the past sold Rolex, IWC and Omega as well as Patek - now has only Patek and IWC.

In the New Year they are opening a Patek Philippe Boutique, and letting IWC go. They recently stopped selling Rolex, as there is now a Rolex Boutique only a block away, and an IWC Boutique is opening just around the corner as well.

Many of the models in their current collection are worth more than three or four Rolex models. And I know they have at least a couple of clients who are Patek collectors. Collections of watches each exceeding one hundred grand! Even the Gondolo that I am waiting for is the least expensive of all the models in their current inventory, and the Gondolo is almost 30 grand. That is the most money I will likely ever spend on a watch. So far, the most I have spent on a single watch is 8 grand, so already one of the least expensive Patek models is worth at least three times that amount.

I would say that for an average single Patek Philippe sale, they are taking in at least as much as four or five other brands/models. And there is certainly no shortage of clients.
Old 29 December 2017, 10:07 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like and admire PP but have never owned one based on my view point of price and value. For my financial situation, I believe that Rolex delivers as good or better than PP. Take into account service times and a somewhat limited secondary market for models that are not hot or sought after and the brand does not work for me. I think both PP and Rolex are in a bubble with prices and availability for hot models and they are playing a game with customers and AD's. I do not know what the end game is for either company but I believe that you run the risk of moving customers who would buy if available to other brands. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 11:43 PM   #6
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Being a Patek AD is a lucrative business. Patek does a good job of limiting steel sports Watches which get people on the door and keeps demand and interest high. That being said, I have the impression that annual calendars, perpetuals and others are just getting harder and harder to sell... the divide between popular models and those that are not has never seemed to be bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 December 2017, 12:56 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Being a Patek AD is a lucrative business. Patek does a good job of limiting steel sports Watches which get people on the door and keeps demand and interest high. That being said, I have the impression that annual calendars, perpetuals and others are just getting harder and harder to sell... the divide between popular models and those that are not has never seemed to be bigger

Yes the divide seems greater, however Rolex has unearthed an AC in SS that is doing very well as opposed to the PM SKYD, and PP released the 5522 in SS at a great price point, so these are avenues to explore. Seems conspicuous consumption is most enjoyed at the resale than retail level now, and even the VIPs would now rather have a "cheap" but rare watch than an ultra expensive complicated piece.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 01:02 AM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

i m still wondering why PP not double the price of SS models .it would solve the problem for a while

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 02:46 AM   #9
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

When the economy turns, it will be interesting to see what happens with Patek.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 02:52 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Here is what amazes me. A couple years ago watch experts were predicting the death of the mechanical watch as millennials either did not wear watches or wore Apple watches, etc.

Now it appears watches, like SS Pateks and Rolexes, are in extreme demand. Who is buying them: millennials or geezers? Does anyone know how the experts got this so wrong?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 02:55 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Here is what amazes me. A couple years ago watch experts were predicting the death of the mechanical watch as millennials either did not wear watches or wore Apple watches, etc.

Now it appears watches, like SS Pateks and Rolexes, are in extreme demand. Who is buying them: millennials or geezers? Does anyone know how the experts got this so wrong?
they are still right i think, unfortunately. Its the middle and lower brands and the quartz fashion brands (fossil, MK, etc) that are going to get squeezed out. I think the top tier is in a much better position than those directly competing on price with wearable tech.

The only digital watch i'd ever buy would be a Zeitwerk
Old 30 December 2017, 02:58 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Fat pockets from a stock market that’s doubled in just 5 years or so will do it.
Old 30 December 2017, 03:48 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Fat pockets from a stock market that’s doubled in just 5 years or so will do it.
And just as people get used to buying rising equities they want the same on their watches now, and thus we see demand rising even more on the in-play brands as demand falls off for most others. It's a good indicator of which brands and watches will survive in the i-future.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #14
locutus49
Banned

Good point. If the stock market drops, as it inevitably will, will demand for Rolexes and Patek SS models also drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
And just as people get used to buying rising equities they want the same on their watches now, and thus we see demand rising even more on the in-play brands as demand falls off for most others. It's a good indicator of which brands and watches will survive in the i-future.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:19 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good point. If the stock market drops, as it inevitably will, will demand for Rolexes and Patek SS models also drop?
Without question these are expensive luxury goods bought mainly by the upper middle class.
Old 30 December 2017, 07:23 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

just curious
There has always been a strong bias towards "sports" watches here on TRF. However unlike Rolex, Patek was never been and probably will never be predominantly a sports watch company. Their focus has always been on classic dress watches and complicated watches. So the Calatravas, chronos, and PCs are their "bread and butter", with the AC becoming more popular over the past 20+ years. The long-term question for the company is will they continue this emphasis or will they change focus to cater to the "sports watch" crowd.

Before the "Chinese government crack down on luxury goods", tourists were buying these watches in bulk and many ADs throughout Europe, North America and parts of Asia were having a hard time keeping up with their inventory. I would estimate that upto 50% of Pateks were purchased by the Chinese at one time. However over the past few years, the tide has shifted significantly. Unsold inventory is piling up at ADs and I assume they are being unloaded on to the gray market. But Patek ADs still do well. It is the ADs carrying the less "prestigious" Swiss watch brands that are struggling.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 10:13 AM   #17
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:

just curious
I think you underestimate the wealth and buying power of Asian, Middle East and European, markets. These markets buy PM, AC, PC Pateks everyday in large quantities, just look at Brian from Taiwan who got banned. He is not the only one who buys High End Patek in large quantities, just one that happened to have a TRF account to showcase his collection.

Quote:

10 years ago Amazon was a pretty cheap stock compared to today. LOL So called experts are only as good as their saliva. No one knows how markets will react unless you happen to have insider information. But the stock market at record highs means their is money being made and money being spent. Which is why the gray market is so robust currently.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 12:31 PM   #18
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

I agree on TRF focus on sport models, hence I get the impressions that Patek rely on Sports Model but in fact they never do.
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 10:45 PM   #19
The B
"TRF" Member

I think jon_jon and Defiancekofb are spot on.

I will add that on two assumptions of the question:

A. the premise that Patek is like BMW (or the auto industry) is misplaced in this example:

"is just like cars, BMW need to sell more 3 and 5 series to sustain their business, is not like everybody buying a 7 series".

From what (I think) I understand about Patek, they are not dependant for survival or even reliant on selling the entry level models as a "bread and butter".

B. Also:

"So how do they survive? I don't feel like people just walk in and buy Grand Complications and Repeater on a monthly basis."

From my experience here in the US, (in Manhattan - where a lot of wealth is concentrated or flowing through at least) there is a definite wait list (anticipation just like the 5711's) for the highest end complications. So, yes - when they do physically arrive in the store, the sale is closed by full payment and delivery plans within days.
The B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #20
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I would think that for some of the really expensive GC’s, an AD would require a non refundable deposit. I couldn’t imagine some of them getting stuck with a $400k+ watch that’s going to take awhile to sell if the original buyer backs out.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 04:38 AM   #21
locutus49
Banned

In my town, the PP AD also sells Lange and other brands. I know them and they seem to be doing well. One of our other esteemed members - Sensui - is a customer. The AD is C.J. Charles.
Old 2 January 2018, 03:07 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
In fact they sell briskly across the entire line and the high end grand complications are pre-order application and sold out to full capacity. The entry level steel models mean utterly nothing to them profit wise.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 12:57 AM   #23
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
In the past, how many would gun for a Nautilus or an Aquanaut as the first Patek? In my case, I went for an AC because of its unique complication. Prior to the said purchase, my watches were with the usual date only. After that, I only went for the Nautilus after getting my AC.

Hence IMO Patek can actually survive selling GC, AC and PC for that matter.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:33 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
In the past, how many would gun for a Nautilus or an Aquanaut as the first Patek? In my case, I went for an AC because of its unique complication. Prior to the said purchase, my watches were with the usual date only. After that, I only went for the Nautilus after getting my AC.

I did but I got my degree at TRF university and came from rolex. Sports watches are my focus.

5167 was my first.
Old 5 January 2018, 02:35 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post

my first Patek was almost both an AC and a Nautilus but I went in another direction but it may be my next.

5164A was my first
Old 6 January 2018, 01:23 AM   #26
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:

just curious
Well, they sell and have sky high margins, same goes for Patek themselves.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 08:32 AM   #27
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

From my experience, ADs do liquidate their unsold pieces by combining with a nautilus and these ADs are in different regions of the world. I can name quite a few of them but it won’t be a good idea. Still, if you walk to their shops, you would spot 5396, 5146, 5960, 5140, 5905 plus lots of ladies’ watches and the list goes on. Don’t know what others view it but to my understanding Patek is indeed in trouble a bit. They squeeze down nautilus production hoping customers will shift their attention to a less popular model or more complicated one but the result is opposite. It just makes the sport models higher in demand. I don’t believe the AD is doing well unless deep discount is offered. A few of my friends are working in Patek AD and most of them seem to complain the same stuff.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 09:57 AM   #28
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

By combining with a nautilus, do you mean make anyone who wants a nautilus also buy a less popular piece?
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 03:56 PM   #29
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
By combining with a nautilus, do you mean make anyone who wants a nautilus also buy a less popular piece?
Yep, they do this all the time, I see it a lot in Asia.

I wanted to buy a 5131P and was told I need to buy a diamond studded Nautilus, plus another unpopular piece in order to get the 5131P at MSRP.

On top of that, many of the ADs sells ultra popular models at a premium. It's against the rules but hard to prove.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 04:05 PM   #30
Patek Philippe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Yep, they do this all the time, I see it a lot in Asia.

I wanted to buy a 5131P and was told I need to buy a diamond studded Nautilus, plus another unpopular piece in order to get the 5131P at MSRP.

On top of that, many of the ADs sells ultra popular models at a premium. It's against the rules but hard to prove.
Yes it is true. That is how the AD survive. I had experienced myself. What a shame.
Patek Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote