The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 March 2019, 06:06 PM   #1
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Vacheron overseas ultra thin 2000v: ownership experience

I am considering to buy this VC. Do any of you own this watch, if so what is your experience so far? Good daily driver?

Anyone else with views on this piece?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Vacheron overseas ultra thin 2000v: ownership experience

Last week I tried the new overseas Chrono in blue at an event of the AD. ...what a stunner!
I find their prices very steep though and could (and can) not justify paying the same kind of money that I would have to pay for a full gold Rolex sports model
The non Chrono is around 10 grand cheaper, yes, but to me it looks too similar to my 41 DateJust which is at the same time more than 10 grand cheaper again..

I obviously don’t have ownership experience but if you can live with having a no-date as your daily beater, and you can justify the price:value proposition for this steel VC, I would think this is the perfect watch to do just that.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #3
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I prefer no date as I prefer the look, change watches too often to set the date each time and I see the date all the time on my iphone anyway...

The ultra thin version is WG, so possible not so suited as a daily wearer. I just love how it looks and the proportions are perfect imo: 40mm x 7.5mm.

But it is a rather rare watch and hard to see in real life. So would be interested in views or experience with this piece.

Would be great to hear from owners or other who have a view on this piece.
Old 14 March 2019, 05:47 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Something about the VCO UT makes it underwhelming, even with the fact it is WG rather than steel as per the 15202.
If your sole draw to it is the brand cachet or being a Trinity watch, then I guess there’slittle point in reminding you of the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo’s existence.
Whilst only available in Titanium with the bracelet, there’s the option of Platinum on leather.

Ironically, for the price of the 2000V, you could have both Finissimos, and still plenty of change in your pocket for other expenditures — so no need to swap straps, however simple the QSC mechanism makes it.
The Bvlgari offers a longer PR and sub-dial seconds in an even thinner case than that of the VCO.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 06:00 AM   #5
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments. Interesting you find it underwhelming. The understated look of the watch is what attracts me to it. And I do think the bracelet looks even nicer than the 15202 and 5711. I am a Patek collector at heart, have a collection of Nautili and Aquanauts, and don’t own any VC so far. The standard overseas is a nice watch but too thick for me. A white gold, thin, no complications luxury sports watch from the trinity is very rare. And I love that combo. But the price is very high for this watch, so before deciding, wanted to get some views from other WIS.
Old 14 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

That was boutique only is that where you viewed it? I think it’s asesome but not at msrp
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 06:52 AM   #7
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Indeed. Saw it in a boutique 2 years ago and was expecting to find it below msrp later. But they almost never become available used. There was one FS at watchbox a week ago, sold almost immediately with an asking price of over 50k without papers, very close to msrp. Very surprising to see a VCO that keeps its value so well. Possibly they made only very few of them.
Old 14 March 2019, 05:06 PM   #8
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I tried on the ultra thin at the VC boutique in New York when it was first issued and loved it. I didn't buy it but I was hoping that VC would do a stainless version. If given the choice of buying this in gold new or a 5711a in the grey market for the same price, I would buy the Vacheron.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I have really warmed up to this watch....and the overseas line. having a hard time digesting price but would take a VC over AP any day. I think the WG is a rare bird and those that do have it are probably not going to let it go. I think it looks smashing. I do hope you get it.
Old 14 March 2019, 07:14 PM   #10
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents, your views are much appreciated. Same here, was hoping for a SS version but unclear this will ever happen. And even then, the WG feels special and might become a collector piece. Fully agree makes more sense to buy this for 55k rather than a 5711. Fortunately I got the blue and white 5711a at msrp.

Now I have a chance to buy it and am tending towards going for it, but views from other WIS remain very welcome. I will decide on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Old 15 March 2019, 01:05 PM   #11
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

And would also be interesting if anyone ever heard an estimate of how many watches where made of the 2000v series.
Old 15 March 2019, 01:59 PM   #12
TJMike
Banned

I have tried it on a few times. A wonderful, beautiful watch. Buy it!
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:06 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The price of the WG ET really put me off, esp when the sales guys didn't want to talk about any serious discount.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 03:24 PM   #14
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Same here. In Europe msrp is 20pc more than the 5711 1r and that sounded too expensive to me. But I do think VC made very few of them as my plan to find one cheaper later on the secondhand market has failed. Some greys had and still have it for sale on their websites, but none of them actually have the watch and when I asked could not deliver.

This might be the first VCO that was more expensive than a 5711 and kept its value. The power of scarcity.
Old 16 March 2019, 05:08 PM   #15
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Great watch, probably quite rare, makes you wonder if there will be an option to buy without the full gold bracelet in the future to make it more accessable
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:11 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
And would also be interesting if anyone ever heard an estimate of how many watches where made of the 2000v series.
I think it was either a limited edition or they were only making it for one year.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:05 PM   #17
chunk2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Something about the VCO UT makes it underwhelming, even with the fact it is WG rather than steel as per the 15202.
If your sole draw to it is the brand cachet or being a Trinity watch, then I guess there’slittle point in reminding you of the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo’s existence.
Whilst only available in Titanium with the bracelet, there’s the option of Platinum on leather.

Ironically, for the price of the 2000V, you could have both Finissimos, and still plenty of change in your pocket for other expenditures — so no need to swap straps, however simple the QSC mechanism makes it.
The Bvlgari offers a longer PR and sub-dial seconds in an even thinner case than that of the VCO.

That have in steel as well which is really nice...

titanium

Steel is so thin it’s also super light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 01:17 AM   #18
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

The Bulgari is great value for money, but the design isn’t for me. And I am surprised to even say this because I love thin watches: it feels too thin to me...
Old 15 June 2019, 04:54 AM   #19
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Jack Forster called the VC overseas ultra thin in wg one of the best watches.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 08:17 PM   #20
TJMike
Banned

Have been told it is no longer in production. Hopefully VC come out with something similar; would be my retirement watch.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:46 AM   #21
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
Have been told it is no longer in production. Hopefully VC come out with something similar; would be my retirement watch.
If it is discontinued, then VC should replace the ultra thin with a re-release of the 222 but modernized slightly and make it a 39mm under the Historiques line. I think that would sell pretty we,k.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 11:06 AM   #22
Muharem23
"TRF" Member

So did you ever end up buying it?
Muharem23 is offline   Reply With Quote