The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2021, 09:19 PM   #31
watchloversg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
Here's what I'm seeing based on a handful of references I wrote down prices for earlier:
  • Largest increases are on the Jumbo (8.3%) and Code Perpetual (6.4%)
  • Most core Royal Oaks are in the 4-6% range
  • ROO and Code 3-hander / Chrono had the lowest increases in the 2% range
Sorry I believe the chart is wrong, code 3 hander increase 6 percent not 2%

In Singapore it went from 41000 to 44000 sgd

Which is 6% not 2%
watchloversg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:24 PM   #32
watchloversg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's what I'm seeing based on a handful of references I wrote down prices for earlier:
  • Largest increases are on the Jumbo (8.3%) and Code Perpetual (6.4%)
  • Most core Royal Oaks are in the 4-6% range
  • ROO and Code 3-hander / Chrono had the lowest increases in the 2% range
Majority of prices here wrong....

The min increase this round is 6%, up till 15% for some of the pieces, like the blue dial frosted gold 34mm

Not sure how you came up with chart
Old 1 September 2021, 09:39 PM   #33
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanjaya View Post
Wondering if PP and Rolex will follow suit.
100%

Its coming
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:51 PM   #34
ericl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchloversg View Post

The min increase this round is 6%, up till 15% for some of the pieces, like the blue dial frosted gold 34mm

From what I’m seeing in the US, the chart is correct. It’s based on USD pricing in the US market. I’ve been waiting on a new diver and it has now gone from 25400 to 25900. So that small data set tells me the other info should be correct.
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:51 PM   #35
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry I believe the chart is wrong, code 3 hander increase 6 percent not 2%

In Singapore it went from 41000 to 44000 sgd

Which is 6% not 2%
Quote:

These were pulled from the US site before/after increase. The increases differ by marketplace (currency fluctuations, etc.), so I wouldn't expect the US increases to match Singapore's.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:00 PM   #36
watchloversg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These were pulled from the US site before/after increase. The increases differ by marketplace (currency fluctuations, etc.), so I wouldn't expect the US increases to match Singapore's.
My bad I’m sorry-

But wow the gulf in % is huge compared to us market
Old 1 September 2021, 10:25 PM   #37
aldyrifqi
"TRF" Member

HK CONFIRMED
aldyrifqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:34 PM   #38
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Looks like the AP website is now showing adjusted pricing across all geos.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:10 PM   #39
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My bad I’m sorry-

But wow the gulf in % is huge compared to us market
No worries . But yes, looks like the US hike was smaller this go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldyrifqi View Post

HK CONFIRMED
Wow, that's massive... over 20%! I believe the old US price was $57,900, so the new price of $66,500 represents a 15% increase here 😳
Old 1 September 2021, 11:20 PM   #40
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow, that's massive... over 20%! I believe the old US price was $57,900, so the new price of $66,500 represents a 15% increase here

New releases of the year 2021 have very minimal increase, Like a thousand bucks.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 02:31 AM   #41
yoast
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know what MSRP was for a 15500st in Hong Kong before the price increase?

I believe 172k hkd?

New price is 187K

Thnaks
Old 2 September 2021, 02:55 AM   #42
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, that's massive... over 20%! I believe the old US price was $57,900, so the new price of $66,500 represents a 15% increase here 😳
Openworked was/is underpriced. Still a giant gap to grey market prices.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:35 AM   #43
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
+1

It always has been this way.
i dont know if i completely agree. it was not that long ago when watches weren't so danged hard to get, and most greys were selling below msrp. there was a breaking point not that long ago when jlc, ap, patek all had price decreases because no one was buying.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:48 AM   #44
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i dont know if i completely agree. it was not that long ago when watches weren't so danged hard to get, and most greys were selling below msrp. there was a breaking point not that long ago when jlc, ap, patek all had price decreases because no one was buying.
The pricing corrections back in 2015 were more complicated than supply/demand. It was more of a balancing act to correct for the sharp 15-20% change in CHF/EUR exchange rates. As a result, some marketplaces saw price decreases (e.g. Asia, Americas), while others increased prices (mostly EU) to even the playing field.

This article tells the story better than I can : http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/02/...rice-decrease/
Old 2 September 2021, 04:01 AM   #45
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

thanks for that article. hah forgot about that bit too. my point is just to say that greys will jack up their price accordingly does not always apply. this market is insane this is not how it has always has been. yes greys have to add their margin, but those margins have been crushed before. the demand is crazy because people see they can make automatic money buying these watches but if that margin isn't there people won't care. anyways i've been priced out of the market anyways, that's why i just buy new straps for my current collection instead.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 04:30 AM   #46
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

It’s 12.5% here in the Uk for the 15407st….which is chunky

Most increases here were very small (1-4%) but fully expect a larger increase for January ‘22.

New ROO Divers stayed the same as well as the ROO 43 that I bought a month or two ago - although it’s listed at £34,100 which down by £100 but that’s either a mistake or currency adjustment I guess. Will find out next week at AP House.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 05:00 AM   #47
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
thanks for that article. hah forgot about that bit too. my point is just to say that greys will jack up their price accordingly does not always apply. this market is insane this is not how it has always has been. yes greys have to add their margin, but those margins have been crushed before. the demand is crazy because people see they can make automatic money buying these watches but if that margin isn't there people won't care. anyways i've been priced out of the market anyways, that's why i just buy new straps for my current collection instead.
I hear you, I also remember buying AP's at significant discounts from greys. Hopefully this insanity will temper soon and you can trade in some a boat load of straps for a new watch!
Old 2 September 2021, 05:05 AM   #48
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
They should keep increasing prices until grey margin is crushed.

That sure worked with PP and the 5711 3-4 years ago.

Not….
Old 2 September 2021, 05:29 AM   #49
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
That sure worked with PP and the 5711 3-4 years ago.

Not….

Agreed. The gap will exist as long as there are more people wanting a watch than is supplied at MSRP.

If AP raises the price of the Jumbo to $90,000 USD and they remain as difficult to attain as they are today, the grays will be asking $110,000 and likely do just fine. The premium will always be justified by those that don’t want to play the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 September 2021, 05:47 AM   #50
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Agreed. The gap will exist as long as there are more people wanting a watch than is supplied at MSRP.

If AP raises the price of the Jumbo to $90,000 USD and they remain as difficult to attain as they are today, the grays will be asking $110,000 and likely do just fine. The premium will always be justified by those that don’t want to play the game.

I do think APs model works when there are buyers and demand but they are trying to control everything. Producer and retailer.
I would prefer the model of rolex and just be the producer, when times are great there is demand but when times are slow your retailers still have to buy product unlike when you run the whole show i.e. rents, staff wages etc and reducing outside retailers will increase risk for the brand as a whole.
I think AP trying to do this whole AP HOUSE things is somewhat greedy
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 06:35 AM   #51
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
I do think APs model works when there are buyers and demand but they are trying to control everything. Producer and retailer.
I would prefer the model of rolex and just be the producer, when times are great there is demand but when times are slow your retailers still have to buy product unlike when you run the whole show i.e. rents, staff wages etc and reducing outside retailers will increase risk for the brand as a whole.
I think AP trying to do this whole AP HOUSE things is somewhat greedy

With respect….how well do you know/up to date are you with the Rolex model here in the Uk?

Rolex UK are absolutely ruling the retail delivery to market (retail and consumer) in every way as the retailers cannot afford to lose the brand and attendant margins/halo effect.

And as a result they are strangling the distribution channel and dictating new terms on purchasing by all customers to all the AD’s.

And yes AP have been doing that for a while but from a much lower volume or retail exposure to the market which befits the more exclusive nature of the brand compared to Rolex.

It’s all a game and it’ll get harder before it gets any easier…
Old 2 September 2021, 07:40 AM   #52
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

The kink in your argument happens when there aren't buyers at, in your example, $110,000. At some point, enough potential buyers leave the market or get something else because they either can't afford the new, higher price, or just don't think it's worth it.

Old 2 September 2021, 09:02 AM   #53
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
The kink in your argument happens when there aren't buyers at, in your example, $110,000. At some point, enough potential buyers leave the market or get something else because they either can't afford the new, higher price, or just don't think it's worth it.

While I agree in a pure textbook economics, in the real world 2021 I know people who have had large government free money, think 1M USD plus in grants, business turned around, and now they are thinking of ways to spend 1M USD. If they decide to spend on watches, they aren’t very price sensitive to 110 vs 150 vs 175.

“Worth it” enters into some weird ways of thinking in these cases.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 11:20 AM   #54
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post

“Worth it” enters into some weird ways of thinking in these cases.

“Worth it” will always be yes in this environment.

Until the environment changes, which I have ever increasing doubts it ever will in the foreseeable future, prices will at worst remain relatively constant and at best continue to increase. Add to that latest developments we see in the market, such as speculating what is discontinued and the pop that occurs when they do, and honestly what does anybody have to lose by paying market prices?

I want to be clear I’m not saying things WILL NOT change. More along the lines that when things do change, I think the least of our concerns will be the value of watches on the secondary market.

Old 2 September 2021, 11:30 AM   #55
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I want to be clear I’m not saying things WILL NOT change. More along the lines that when things do change, I think the least of our concerns will be the value of watches on the secondary market.
Yes! Always baffled by people who are sooo convinced they will be the buyers left standing when everything comes crashing down...
Old 2 September 2021, 11:41 AM   #56
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Yes! Always baffled by people who are sooo convinced they will be the buyers left standing when everything comes crashing down...
Vogelpheonix, I promise you will always have a standing offer of 30NT from me to buy your RO. I’ll even throw in a free beer.

But yes I agree, let’s hope current century doesn’t go from pandemic to global warfare like the last century and everyone keeps their fingers off red buttons.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 01:05 PM   #57
Images and Words
Banned

So US prices on 15500st from 22.9k to 23.9k…without sales tax.
Images and Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 01:57 PM   #58
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Vogelpheonix, I promise you will always have a standing offer of 30NT from me to buy your RO. I’ll even throw in a free beer.
I'll keep that in mind when the zombie apocalypse arrives
Old 2 September 2021, 09:24 PM   #59
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Images and Words View Post
So US prices on 15500st from 22.9k to 23.9k…without sales tax.
I’m just happy the increase was sub-5%
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:46 AM   #60
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

I don't think the retail price matters, as most buyers are flippers and the greys will keep buying and raising their prices too. Only some real buyers may be priced out, but it doesn't matter, the flippers will keep buying everything. Flippers don't care about the price increases
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote