The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2023, 01:16 AM   #31
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I know this should belong to the Omega forum but I feel that this may be a general issue with all brands.

I stopped by the local Swatch owned Omega Boutique as I have always wanted a silver Snoopy being a Peanut fan. And I started by asking if Ed White 321 may be available and the exact answer was: "That is really hard to get; even harder than a silver Snoopy. You need to have about $300000 spend on your profile to get one". Since my real interest was the silver Snoopy, I asked what is the requirement for it. The answer was that I need to spend $130000. At that point, I said: "I cannot see how I can spend $130000 here". Her response: "It is not a sprint, it can be a marathlon." And then I inquired since Breguet is also in the same group, will it be possible for me to spend on Breguet since I genuinely is interested in some models in the Tradition line. But she said no, it has to be on Omega.

Is all the brands going crazy? Or just this Omega (or Omega boutique)? I did a quick search and found most Silver Snoopy is selling at 1.8x retail which is $8000 over MSRP and the 321 is even worse at about $3000 premium. Am I missing something here? I can now see being asked to buy $100k worth of diamonds to get a 5990A is actually a bargain. At least the 5990a is really $$$ over retail.

I did not even have spend that much at VC to be offered a 222, Overseas skeleton Tourbillon and Overseas skeleton perpetual calendar. All of these command a much higher grey premium by a magnitude. (Not that I plan to buy and sell)

Any thoughts?

Jeez, would make me never want to buy Omega again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 01:20 AM   #32
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If I understand the OP, the real ask was $130k.

The 321 Platinum, and the 321 Canopus Gold would get you there

Or you could buy one Tourbillon and get there easily

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...52953432299001
Well, she did say that I need a $300k spend to get 321. So it will be a chicken and egg.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 01:28 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Well, she did say that I need a $300k spend to get 321. So it will be a chicken and egg.
That’s unfortunate. Personally, I’d shop elsewhere if you can’t speak to a different sales associate.

I’m one of those that @logo referenced earlier. Luck I guess, or maybe
my collecting journey really resonated with the SA.

Either way, I love my 321 and am really happy to have been allocated the piece.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 01:40 AM   #34
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Same story different day. Someone wants to jump the queue and have it today.... Then not happy when the obvious solution is presented..... How does a new customer with no spending history/not owning the brand trump other people with different spend histories that's been on the list for x years waiting for these watches?

Perhaps the sales rep could have softened the landing but it doesn't change the results.... Not to mention different tactics for different sales people.... But I'm not sure what people expect these days just walking into brands asking for their "crown jewel."
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 01:48 AM   #35
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Same story different day. Someone wants to jump the queue and have it today.... Then not happy when the obvious solution is presented..... How does a new customer with no spending history/not owning the brand trump other people with different spend histories that's been on the list for x years waiting for these watches?

Perhaps the sales rep could have softened the landing but it doesn't change the results.... Not to mention different tactics for different sales people.... But I'm not sure what people expect these days just walking into brands asking for their "crown jewel."

Don’t get me wrong. My intention was to ask if I can be added to a waitlist. The spend threshold was volunteered from the SA.

As I said, the silver snoopy was a fun watch for me as a Peanut fan. I don’t mind to wait for 5-10 years if it is what it takes. I have watches line up to 2027 so I am used to the waiting game. I was just applauded by the level of spending ask so balantly from a mass production brand’s own boutique. I can expect this from an AD which sells other brands or jewelry but never from a brand owned store.
Old 16 May 2023, 02:59 AM   #36
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong. My intention was to ask if I can be added to a waitlist. The spend threshold was volunteered from the SA.

As I said, the silver snoopy was a fun watch for me as a Peanut fan. I don’t mind to wait for 5-10 years if it is what it takes. I have watches line up to 2027 so I am used to the waiting game. I was just applauded by the level of spending ask so balantly from a mass production brand’s own boutique. I can expect this from an AD which sells other brands or jewelry but never from a brand owned store.
It's definitely new territory for Omega with the limited production game versus their limited edition game for many years. The number of 50th anniversary apollo 13 and 321s (stainless and even slimmer pickings the platinum/canopus) has drastically trickled down since the announcement. You got waitlists that are basically closed for the Snoopy watch with people on the list since release that aren't 100% sure to be allocated the watch and discontinuation might come any day......at least they come in batches here and there and there's some hope for these people waiting....then you have the 321 that has crawled to almost a halt at the boutiques in terms of allocation (you are talking about 6-10 watches every 3-4 months if lucky with the top grossing boutiques in the US) with also hundreds of people on these lists.

The brand is obviously mass produced just like Rolex etc....Omega has far less references that are "hot" compared to Rolex but they're certainly taken the low production route with these watches.....321, Snoopy, 60th Bond, moonshine panda speedies and even a green seamaster 300 professional etc....Trying something new I guess. The rep probably doesn't want to put you at the end of these lists with no realistic returns because there's no guarantee (actually more likely the opposite) they can allocate you the watch before the watch stops production after seeing the hardware you and the wife is sporting....of course I'm sure that helped the rep also in blasting out some big $$'s for you to have these watches now and then.

I personally don't like the approach but it's the norm in Asia from my experiences and I've seen it here in the states also. Just shrug and move on is my take.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 03:00 AM   #37
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I know this should belong to the Omega forum but I feel that this may be a general issue with all brands.

I stopped by the local Swatch owned Omega Boutique as I have always wanted a silver Snoopy being a Peanut fan. And I started by asking if Ed White 321 may be available and the exact answer was: "That is really hard to get; even harder than a silver Snoopy. You need to have about $300000 spend on your profile to get one". Since my real interest was the silver Snoopy, I asked what is the requirement for it. The answer was that I need to spend $130000. At that point, I said: "I cannot see how I can spend $130000 here". Her response: "It is not a sprint, it can be a marathlon." And then I inquired since Breguet is also in the same group, will it be possible for me to spend on Breguet since I genuinely is interested in some models in the Tradition line. But she said no, it has to be on Omega.

Is all the brands going crazy? Or just this Omega (or Omega boutique)? I did a quick search and found most Silver Snoopy is selling at 1.8x retail which is $8000 over MSRP and the 321 is even worse at about $3000 premium. Am I missing something here? I can now see being asked to buy $100k worth of diamonds to get a 5990A is actually a bargain. At least the 5990a is really $$$ over retail.

I did not even have spend that much at VC to be offered a 222, Overseas skeleton Tourbillon and Overseas skeleton perpetual calendar. All of these command a much higher grey premium by a magnitude. (Not that I plan to buy and sell)

Any thoughts?
if you spend 130k on omegas it'll be worth maybe 60k on a good day.

perhaps you can just throw this on your CC and we can maybe sign you up for the snoops:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...21055422099001

omega makes a few good references. mainly the original moonwatch.

even their touted diver, the 300m, has a non tapering bracelet that wears like hot garbage.

inventors of bronze gold. an alloy so off putting no one would wear it.

as a brand omega is going the wrong direction and i dislike the brand's direction very much.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 03:14 AM   #38
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If I understand the OP, the real ask was $130k.

The 321 Platinum, and the 321 Canopus Gold would get you there

Or you could buy one Tourbillon and get there easily

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...52953432299001
those are allocation only pieces and you must spend $600k to get one (according to his boutique).

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 03:16 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
those are allocation only pieces and you must spend $600k to get one (according to his boutique).
The bar keeps getting higher I suppose

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2023, 05:18 AM   #40
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I would much prefer a boutique being brutally honest with me rather than offer false hope.

Which is why I no longer pursue Rolex...that and I plainly don't like them.
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 06:23 AM   #41
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I honestly think that the sales lady did mean what she said about the spend though. As she recognized and even discussed about the Patek 5968G and the RO which my wife and I were wearing. She commented that it must have been very difficult to obtain the Patek. I almost replied that I spent a lot less than $130000 and probably could sell the Patek with a 10x profit compare to the silver snoppy but stopped myself.

But I agree that being treated this way leaves a sour taste in my mouth. A straight waitlist is closed but I can take down your name would have worked much better.
Maybe that's part of the problem. She thought you were a whale.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 10:50 AM   #42
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
if you spend 130k on omegas it'll be worth maybe 60k on a good day.

perhaps you can just throw this on your CC and we can maybe sign you up for the snoops:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...21055422099001

omega makes a few good references. mainly the original moonwatch.

even their touted diver, the 300m, has a non tapering bracelet that wears like hot garbage.

inventors of bronze gold. an alloy so off putting no one would wear it.

as a brand omega is going the wrong direction and i dislike the brand's direction very much.
Their bronze gold is just a fancy marketing gimmick to hide the fact that it is basically a 9k gold watch while charging near 18k prices for it. My AD has one litterally collecting rust in the watch shelves for months now, getting uglier each passing day while refusing to budge on the price.

Some of their last year releases were compelling but I am kinda losing patience at the lack of inventory trickling through. My theory is that they want to play the rarity mindgames and pimp them up through Hollywood celebrities but let's be real, Omega has nowhere near the clout of Rolex in the first place. Their customers are just going to move on to better things that are available right away instead. If Omega is not more careful, entry and mid level brands like Tudor and Breitling are going to eat their lunch money while their AD network will eventually drop the brand altogether since they can't get any inventory. We have already seen Cartier taking over Omega in 2nd place recently and I have a feeling they will keep losing more marketshare if they don't get their act together fast and stop the artificial scarcity nonsense.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 12:58 PM   #43
BDSedd
"TRF" Member

You’re in a tough market. To be honest luck plays a big factor! I live in a small market. There is an Omega boutique in my city and I happen to be good friends with the SA and boutique manager. I was able to get the 321 in 2022 and Snoopy in 2023. No major spend history. I kept showing my face and bought what I really liked from time to time. I would say my spend history was around 20k. Before snoopy I was able to get the Green Seamaster diver professional and the 1948 limited edition. My point is I was very fortunate. If I were you I would definitely pay the premium and go grey. Spending that much money to get what you really like is not worth it. Good luck!
BDSedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 02:01 PM   #44
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I say BS to this whole story
Old 16 May 2023, 10:07 PM   #45
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I never ever heard an Omega AD asking for such premium
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 01:36 AM   #46
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I say BS to this whole story
I'm with you on this.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 01:39 AM   #47
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I'm with you on this.

Completely agreed. I found the experience to be absurd.

Mind that I am in the SF area. We seem to be in an alternate reality when it comes to bundling practice. A friend was asked to purchase a 130k JLC diamond crusted ladies watch for a 5712/1a allocation. But that was at least a Patek which can be sold for a $50k profit easily.
Old 17 May 2023, 01:54 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceybump View Post
Lazer etched swirl design straight out of Rolex boutique Glass Rolex wall 9'x4' for sale 985-714-7754 300$ SQ ft make offer
Welcome and ….
Old 17 May 2023, 04:32 AM   #49
MikeHoncho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely agreed. I found the experience to be absurd.

Mind that I am in the SF area. We seem to be in an alternate reality when it comes to bundling practice. A friend was asked to purchase a 130k JLC diamond crusted ladies watch for a 5712/1a allocation. But that was at least a Patek which can be sold for a $50k profit easily.
You're talking about the San Francisco boutique? If so, I can back what you were told and can guess who you talked to (there's a snoopy/321 whisperer there).. although the spend was half that a year ago. Feds need to get that inflation down .

To reiterate, this isn't an AD.. Each time I've visited, they completely forget that I'm on the deposit list. They assume I'm just another person walking in to get a snoopy... I've been told inconsistent things from the same people. Without a deposit, spend this$$$... With a deposit, we can speed things up if you build history like our VIPs.. They opened after the Snoopy released, so hard for me to see how they already have a list of big spenders.

I get that the luxury segment thinks of the Rolex/Hermes model in their strategy meetings, but time will tell if it pays off when you're already starting from behind.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 05:16 AM   #50
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Between fake scarcity games, endless limited/special editions, and plastic versions of icons, Omega is a dead brand to me.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 05:54 AM   #51
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Had a PO Chrono (9900). It was nothing special. Sold it.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 05:58 AM   #52
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Counter by saying there are a few pieces you are interested in. Or counter with sexual favors (kidding of course).

I think a documented purchase history will go a long way. $300k and $130k is garbage...

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 06:05 AM   #53
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

God how much winning from allegedly grown up man. I want Snoopy and they don’t give to me, uh uh.

Now go get Daytona, it will comfort you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 09:49 AM   #54
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Unfortunately you already missed the boat for the Silver Snoopy. If you wanted one, you should've put your name and deposit down in September 2020 for it.

Allocations for Silver Snoopy's are pretty much done for US Omega boutiques. Boutiques are basically only getting new ones for the big spending whale.
Agree. The ship has sailed.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 10:32 AM   #55
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Sorry.... such a thing as grey market.... "I'll pay over retail, but not that much to buy at retail."
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 11:26 PM   #56
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I got both the 321 and Snoopy from an Omega boutique with no previous spend and no other Omegas, so it can be done.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 11:40 PM   #57
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Buy it in Moda. Move on with your life.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:07 AM   #58
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
God how much winning from allegedly grown up man. I want Snoopy and they don’t give to me, uh uh.

Now go get Daytona, it will comfort you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiser words have never been spoken.
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 11:01 AM   #59
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
They are mad. I could get an Ed white for 18000 or snoopy for 19k in 30 minutes. Nobody in their right mind is working towards an omega allocation in this market.
Exactly.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 12:26 PM   #60
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Is this really any different to Rolex ADs telling a walk in that the wait time for a Daytona is 25 years?
Its a tactic to filter out the flippers and people looking to make a quick buck.

Grab an AT, PO and a ladies piece and i'm sure you'll find a spot "on the list" will miraculously appear.