The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 March 2022, 10:14 AM   #31
/16610
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Maybe we’re saying the same thing, but I’d assume the non-hidden platinum clasp would be the same style as the older one that was offered on other President bracelets. (It’s the same 7286 model number.)
Yes

For anyone curious, this listing shows it:

https://watchcharts.com/listing/1931...-ref-7286-8-55
/16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2022, 05:27 AM   #32
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

From what I understand fabricating platinum requires an entirely new set of tools and equipment so presumably what Rolex uses for their gold production wouldn't work.

Platinum also gets easily contaminated if it comes into contact with other materials.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2022, 02:29 AM   #33
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
From what I understand fabricating platinum requires an entirely new set of tools and equipment so presumably what Rolex uses for their gold production wouldn't work.

Platinum also gets easily contaminated if it comes into contact with other materials.
Yes, from what I’ve read the hardness of the metal is why the platinum DD don’t have a fluted bezel.

I have the SS/platinum Yachtmaster (see avatar). When I brought my watch to my local RSC for service last year, they asked if I wanted the platinum bezel worked on. If so, they’d have to send it to another RSC (I think Dallas, but I’m not sure) for polishing etc. I said no, as it was fine as-is. So, they polished the SS bracelet there but only cleaned the platinum bezel.

They’d spent a ton of money acquiring all of the tools and equipment they needed to be an official RSC. Clearly the platinum watches are such a small percentage of what they work on that they didn’t get those tools just for the bezels and bracelets.

This has been very interesting. I appreciate the master catalogue excerpts.

I’d wondered the difference between the “ice blue” and the “glacier blue” dials on the platinum DD. Some of the blues on the platinum are just barely blue, and close to silver. The blue that’s currently on the DD40 today is very clearly blue.

Does anyone know whether the shade of blue on the platinum DD36 become more blue over the life of the model (eg roughly from its 2000 introduction to its 2019 discontinuation), or were shade variants more due to which factory produced the dial?
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 09:31 AM   #34
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

There's only ever a handful of the 18206 on Chrono24 which probably means this reference is far rarer than anyone thinks.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote