The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2019, 11:53 PM   #181
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This. I traded my Platona because of the poor legibility. The wife was pissed because she loved that watch. I guess I should have given it to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Owned two in the past, perfect size and proportions, but poor legibility.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:59 AM   #182
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
This. I traded my Platona because of the poor legibility. The wife was pissed because she loved that watch. I guess I should have given it to her.
Wow, I never ever have a problem reading mine (except in the dark when the lume is expired). Your watch is still listed as Platona?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 02:51 PM   #183
Cdaddylutz
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Daytona all hype right now. I tried one on not to long ago and was surprised at how light weight and dinky it felt. It was so small and cluttered which was hard to tell time at a glance. I’m sure there will be several that argue this, however that is the point of this forum right? Anyone who pays more than MSRP either has too much money to blow or is pressured from the hype of social media. I know no one who has paid over MSRP will admit that they regret it...
Cdaddylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 05:35 PM   #184
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116659SABR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price. Some are going to get angry at my question but I’m just curious what the draw is. I’m a huge fan of subs and gmt, other than those two nothing sings to me.

A date function is very appealing to me so perhaps that’s one significant reason the Daytona doesn’t appeal to me.
the racing style
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 06:14 PM   #185
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
It's a good looking watch.

The late watchmaker George Daniels said aesthetics is the most important aspect of a watch, if you get that part right, it will sell itself.

Daytona doesn't have the fanciest movement finishing or complications, but it's a fine looking watch for any occasion and just the right size to suit both men and women.
Well said. Being the shallow person that I am, looks matter - and nowhere more so than in the realm of watches. And to me, the white ceramic Daytona is a truly handsome watch.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 07:09 PM   #186
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdaddylutz View Post
Daytona all hype right now. I tried one on not to long ago and was surprised at how light weight and dinky it felt. It was so small and cluttered which was hard to tell time at a glance. I’m sure there will be several that argue this, however that is the point of this forum right? Anyone who pays more than MSRP either has too much money to blow or is pressured from the hype of social media. I know no one who has paid over MSRP will admit that they regret it...
Social media on the Daytona has got nothing to do with it. The Daytona has been THE most desired Rolex sports model for years!
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 08:42 PM   #187
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Each to their own...for me the Daytona is the greatest watch produced by Rolex.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:40 PM   #188
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Social media on the Daytona has got nothing to do with it. The Daytona has been THE most desired Rolex sports model for years!
JPS - What would we know....
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 11:05 PM   #189
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I am not a fan, but, there again I am not a style guru either. I found it difficult to read. Many, many people love it, it is a top seller, so I accept, to a lot of people I could be wrong.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:33 PM   #190
ebxchange
2024 Pledge Member

I love the prestige!

ebxchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:22 PM   #191
BOXMAN76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Daytona
It is a Beautiful watch, Timeless Style. You can wear it dressed up or dressed down.

4130 Movement

These are no where near as common as the Sub, YM, or DJ

Great investment piece - you will never go backwards if you need the cash

Extremely comfortable

Tremendous demand, low supply - people will always want a watch they know is incredible tough to get whether they are crazy about it or not... Whether most people on TRF admit or not, this watch has a ton of elusivity at MSRP. Any one the buys a luxury item enjoys knowing they have something most other people don’t. It’s the art of controlling supply and this constantly plays on consumer psychology
BOXMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:37 PM   #192
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Old thread but I’ll add

The speedmaster was the first watch i loved. For that and the love of motorsport I still love and mainly collect chronographs.

Whilst I love the speedmasters more than the Daytona’s, they are still incredible watches that to me are less tool these days and more elaborate dressy. So they fit nicely in my collection, the perfect size and give me some PM options that omega generally can’t.

I’m not into the hype at all, I have never purchase a SS Daytona as I have plenty of omegas in SS that I prefer. Like my omega collection I always buy the ones that are different, especially with unique dials so the only Daytona’s I own have unusual dials

You have dive watch guys that have the subs, seamasters and maybe even the planet oceans and the hardcore dive watch guys that have just many variations of a black diver. The you have chronograph guys and dress watch guys. That’s all it is
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:51 PM   #193
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Old thread but I’ll add

The speedmaster was the first watch i loved. For that and the love of motorsport I still love and mainly collect chronographs.

Whilst I love the speedmasters more than the Daytona’s, they are still incredible watches that to me are less tool these days and more elaborate dressy. So they fit nicely in my collection, the perfect size and give me some PM options that omega generally can’t.

I’m not into the hype at all, I have never purchase a SS Daytona as I have plenty of omegas in SS that I prefer. Like my omega collection I always buy the ones that are different, especially with unique dials so the only Daytona’s I own have unusual dials

You have dive watch guys that have the subs, seamasters and maybe even the planet oceans and the hardcore dive watch guys that have just many variations of a black diver. The you have chronograph guys and dress watch guys. That’s all it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 11:20 PM   #194
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Honestly not a big fan of the Daytona either... but I don’t ever see market prices or demand going down! I will be first to admit I am on more than one “list” and my only intentions are to hold and sell... oddly I’ve never done this with any watch but it’s a no brainer to me why I wouldn’t just hold onto to something for a year for 100% profit or very close. I’d say most of the people buying multiple Rolex a year are pretty savvy and smart and I just don’t see how anyone could down such a great investment....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:23 AM   #195
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Nobody wanted them not so long ago. What happened? Paul Newman.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:38 AM   #196
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

Simple...it’s a perfect watch...it’s not the only perfect watch out there, but it is one of them.

I’d venture a guess that in the case of many detractors the phrase “grapes are sour” applies.
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote