The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2009, 10:52 PM   #31
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
in KL, as I understand, there is an agreement between the various ADs on the price so they don't undercut one another. but, if you're close to some of the sales reps, a deal can always be struck!
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2009, 11:34 PM   #32
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
312 have come out very very quickly after the annoucement they were being produced. This tells us one thing, its going to be mass produced and easily available. The fools who rush into buy the first ones in UK or USA etc will be left pants down as Im sure they will be many going 2nd hand at 20% off retail by the summer / end of the year!
100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 04:49 AM   #33
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
i rang a few ads on friday to get an idea of price and availability.was told to forget about laying eyes on one this year.whilst i really want one i will not pay above the msrp.will wait till next year.dont want to get caught up in the hysteria
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 05:15 AM   #34
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

The lack of that amazing dome puts me right off, also its a 3 day auto!!!! Why! To make a Manfattura affordable? Panerai have released this very quickly after the SIHH thing quicker than any other Panny ever, I conclude it will be massively avaialble and all the hype will drop off in minutes rather than years. Those first few 312 will have had 4 different owners by christmas as people buy the hype and are left flat.

That said its your money and choice so go for it!
Old 20 April 2009, 05:43 AM   #35
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
I think the 312 is a very nice watch at a good pricepoint, yes it's not got the domed crystal, or the 8/10 day movement but it's got the look of the higher end watches at half the price. The 3 day auto is actually a good move, it's an improvement over others and with an auto most users won't go 3 days without it on the wrist unless it's an occasional watch.

I know where you're coming from 100th, you have a 233 like me and the 312 just isn't appealing, we've already got the watch the 312 was cut down from, but if you were going out there today to buy your first Panerai, wouldn't the 312 look more appealing at £4300 instead of the £8400 that the 233 cost, you could buy a 312 and a 111 and still have a grand left in your bank account!

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 06:24 AM   #36
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The new three day movement PAMs will be very popular,no question.

There is just one thing bothering me and thats the righthand side of the dial,around the 3 o'clock area.It just doesnt look right
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 08:10 AM   #37
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
you could buy a 312 and a 111 and still have a grand left in your bank account!

Yes but a grand in the bank is just numbers on paper, and I would feel like I'd eaten a milky way if I brought those 2 instead of a 233.

My personal advise, buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 21 April 2009, 03:43 AM   #38
VazLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

There is just one thing bothering me and thats the righthand side of the dial,around the 3 o'clock area.It just doesnt look right
At first I liked 312, after a while and looking at different photos, and I'm inclined to agree with you, looks unbalanced to me. It's no 127 or 203. If they designed like 127/203 then I would be all over it, say replace date window with 3. If not then drop 9 to balance it out.

What about a DLC'ed case, P.900x movement, 4 hour markers with seconds subdail? Yes please!
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 03:45 AM   #39
VazLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

At first I liked 312, after a while and looking at different photos, and I'm inclined to agree with you, looks unbalanced to me. It's no 127 or 203. If they designed like 127/203 then I would be all over it, say replace date window with 3. If not then drop 9 to balance it out.

What about a DLC'ed case, P.900x movement, 3, 6, 9 ,12 markers with seconds subdail? Yes please!
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 04:07 AM   #40
sphereman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
312 have come out very very quickly after the annoucement they were being produced. This tells us one thing, its going to be mass produced and easily available. The fools who rush into buy the first ones in UK or USA etc will be left pants down as Im sure they will be many going 2nd hand at 20% off retail by the summer / end of the year!
EXACTLY My thought...
These will be mass produced and I don't think that many people are on wait lists for this particular piece. of those on waitlists, I am sure at least 40% of them are flippers... and once they find out there won't be any market for 312... they will back out and even more 312s will be available.

my take.. won't buy this watch for anything more than 20% off retail.!
Tudor: Blue Pelagos
sphereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 05:02 AM   #41
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphereman View Post
EXACTLY My thought...
These will be mass produced and I don't think that many people are on wait lists for this particular piece. of those on waitlists, I am sure at least 40% of them are flippers... and once they find out there won't be any market for 312... they will back out and even more 312s will be available.

my take.. won't buy this watch for anything more than 20% off retail.!
i don't think so, the people liked this new model and they gona make just 2000 watches this year, i think the flippers will make some money on this (not my money) on the first few months.
Old 21 April 2009, 07:33 AM   #42
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuisquash View Post
i don't think so, the people liked this new model and they gona make just 2000 watches this year, i think the flippers will make some money on this (not my money) on the first few months.

Well I got offered one at 5% under retail today from someone who thought the same and now wants some of his money back!!!
Old 21 April 2009, 08:19 AM   #43
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
I honestly can't see these being worth a premium, or being hard to get after a few months, if the edition is 2000 then that'll be enough to look after most of those after one, remember the 320 is also coming out and will be bought by those looking at either, if it's 2000 then that's 4000 watches out this year that'll fit the bill for those after one.

It's also going to be done next year as well, and my guess is that these are coming in to take over from the Marina Autos like the 104, if ETA slow down production and delivery of their movements then panerai need to get the likes of the 312 and 320 into production quickly and non-stop, otherwise it affects their business, but again this is all speculative as nobody really knows what is happening with the ETA movements and their supply over the next couple of years.

Anyway this year is going to be a non buying year as nothing grabs me, i'm really hoping next year they come out with something that i want, the likes of the 312 and 320 are great for people coming into panerai, or those who are moving from the luminors/historic, but anyone like me with a 233 or those with 270s or 289s won't really see the point in the new range as it would be duplicating what they already have, so come on Panerai, release a 177 with an in-house manual movement that's got a nice pearlage movement in it, maybe even PVD it and get me on the list

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote