The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 April 2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Any Globemaster love?

Recently the blue dial steel Globemaster caught my eye and I'm wondering if any of you have one- and if so, if you could tell me how you like it, if you have any regrets, etc. And of course post up a photo. Really love the look of this piece and am intrigued by the movement.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...13033392103001
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:31 AM   #2
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Any Globemaster love?

I really like it and have been considering a blue dial or the constellation annual calendar for a dressier piece. There is a useful comparison with a DJ you may have seen:

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/articl...-vs-omega-glob

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
It's awesome! Love the Pie Pan dial, and have been thinking of adding this on bracelet to my collection for some time now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 April 2019, 01:39 PM   #4
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I like the platinum no date version. It’s slightly more expensive.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Jetski
Banned

Honest answer: No.
Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:50 PM   #6
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Love—yes. Own—no. It’s on my list. I just haven’t gotten around to purchasing one yet, as I usually end up buying dive watches. I love the 3D dial, as well as the tungsten hard-metal bezel. I think the price is a bit high, especially when you can get the same movement in a 150M case with a screw-down crown for almost $2K less in the Aqua Terra.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #7
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Good read over here:

https://bit.ly/2vkKh4M
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #8
Soarer
"TRF" Member

The more I look at it and read about it, the more I love it. Looks like it is the watch for me to add to my collection this year.
Old 25 April 2019, 03:07 AM   #9
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Link is not working
Old 25 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #10
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Fixed link:

https://bit.ly/2vkKh4M
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:23 AM   #11
threeputtbogey
"TRF" Member

I'm a huge fan. I love the the pie pan dial, the bezel, the movement, and the overall finish. I consider it a great DJ alternative.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
threeputtbogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 07:49 PM   #12
tna23
"TRF" Member

I have the white dial. Love the watch but the bracelet is a real let down. Edges are too sharp and with no micro adjustment, hard to get a good fit. I ended up buying the OEM leather strap which looks great. Downside is alligator leather not suitable for all occasions in same way the bracelet is.
tna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 09:01 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but have never been around it in person. For the right deal I could be an owner.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 11:31 PM   #14
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
It’s a classic
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 06:35 AM   #15
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Impressive watch, has a lot going for it, but not a fan of the pie pan dial nor the thin fluted bezel. I would have been interested otherwise.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I am fortunate enough to own both, blue dial and white dial. Both were originally purchased on SS bracelets configurations; although I purchased OEM croc straps at the same time from AD. I feel that the SS bracelet lets the watch down, it is sharp on the edges and does not have any micro adjustment. The watch is superb on the strap though, and I would suggest at least an equal watch to a Rolex Datejust, which it is sometimes compared against. It is an understated classy watch, with a high spec, which can dress up, or be worn slightly sporty, depending upon strap option.

I found it very difficult to choose between the white and blue dials. I will try and post some photos later.

I am considering trading either the blue or white dial against a new watch, but that is purely to help with financing.
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 07:16 PM   #17
watchmaker
TechXpert

I think it’s a beautiful watch. The tungsten bezel is neat since it is VERY scratch resistant.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Vain_Asthete
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
No Globemaster Love

I will post an honest, contrarian opinion about the Globemaster as a former owner of the steel, white-dialed version which I bought from an AD in 2016. Its initial appeal to me was based on the fact that I thought it would be a brilliant, versatile, daily-wear watch for me, a modern example of the storied old Constellation line hearkening back to those lovely, 1960s-era pie pans. I found that I did not like it and I sold it after just over one year. My objections were as follows.

One subtle thing that you will probably never know about the white-dialed Globemaster unless you own one (since it is not something you can readily discern in photos or in a display case) is that the way the lume contrasts with the dial in certain kinds of lighting is very questionable. The white Globemaster dial, depending on the ambient lighting, exhibits significant variation between creamier tones and almost pale gray ones. This kind of variation is a lovely feature on many watch dials and much appreciated, as it adds depth and complex beauty. (Other neat examples are the Hulk Sub dial which varies from that deep green to almost black, any Rolex silver dial, the FP Journe Chronometre Bleu is probably the best example, etc.).
But the problem is that this kind of tonal variation has to work right, and in the case of the white-dialed Globemaster, IMHO, it does not. This is specifically because in certain lighting, especially on cloudy days, the creamier tones of the dial are very apparent and contrast terribly with the lume. I have not seen the same kind of ugly problem with silver-dialed Datejusts with lumed baton indicators for example, and I think honestly that is because Rolex made it a point to consider this and create something more harmonious. I would describe the Globemaster dial when this tonal issue appears as having the colors of cheap mint tooth paste smeared on baked parchment paper. It looks awful. I remember the first time I saw it I was rushing to an appointment on a cloudy day and I went to check the time and I was like, OMG, what the hell did I buy, LOL. But then you look at the exact watch in a display case, in a nice restaurant with dimmed overhead lighting, or some kind of setting like that. The scintillant quality of the bezel and indicators really pops, and it looks simply brilliant. The watch is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

For all Omega's touting of METAS in its marketing material, the Globemaster was the least accurate mechanical watch I owned at the time. Some may say, "if you want extreme accuracy, you should get a quartz watch." I respectfully disagree with that opinion. If they are charging $7000+ for a watch and touting up the kazoo how accurate it is, it is not unacceptable or unreasonable for the customer to expect very high accuracy. Adjusted properly, excellent tolerances should be achievable for any mechanical watch. Mine ran plus six seconds per day. That is not bad, and watches do often slow as they age so perhaps I could have just waited, but it’s outside of METAS tolerances. Since METAS was supposed to offer minus zero to plus five seconds per day in observed performance, I figured that if I brought it for service and told them it was only deviating from the range by one second, they would basically have told me to take a hike, so I did not even bother.

The Globemaster bracelet had no half-links available, no micro-adjustment, and certainly no easy-link / quick-adjustment like modern Rolex bracelets and some others manufacturers offer. As a result, I never could get it to fit comfortably, and had to swap to an aftermarket leather strap despite the fact that I wanted a bracelet for this watch. (As an aside, I cannot believe how common this kind of problem is. If your wrist size is not such that by chance the bracelet is perfectly sizeable as is, and the manufacturer offers no half-links or appropriate micro-adjustment for the watch in question, you are left to choose between a watch that flops around or constricts your wrist. To me, this is an unacceptable choice as it really ruins the experience of ownership.) The bracelet is also too fat for my liking.
The Globemaster is quite thick (about 12mm). It is not like the Planet Ocean or any of those beasts, but it is still, more to the point, thick in a way that seems out-of-character with the overall aesthetic of the watch. I do not think the Genta, C-style Constellation case that the Globemaster case is based on was ever meant to be so fat. I also found it sometimes unable to slide under a shirt cuff.
Upon examination of the watch with a loupe, I found the dial to be slightly misaligned and there to be a number of imperfections on the hands. Other watches I own at the same price point, including Rolex, have no such defects. Granted, any watch can have defects, and it is probably not so that every Globemaster presents the same ones that mine did but, still, it just really turned me off.
The case back is badly conceived, IMHO. The METAS emblem in the middle blocks you from fully observing the movement. I wanted to be able to study the co-axial escapement under a loupe and found that it was possible but required a ridiculously precise angling of my loupe and flawless lighting, largely because of the way the emblem hangs over it. It seemed clear to me that they could have made the emblem a little smaller and obviated this problem. Also, to be totally honest, I was not impressed with the decoration of the 8900 movement. The swirly Arabesque Cote-de-Geneve variant was nice enough but still, overall, it had a very industrial and massed produced sort of look to it, like cheap, mass-produced art instead of something genuinely artisanal. In view of that, I frankly would have preferred that they had spared some thickness and just put a solid caseback on the watch. I know they are much more expensive brands, but after you own or even just see a Patek or Lange movement it just puts this kind of finishing to shame in a way that makes you not want to see a movement like the 8900 anymore. Even a JLC movement puts it to shame and most JLC from the Master Collection are around the same price or only a little more.

Anyway, for all these reasons and others, I sold it and do not miss it.
Vain_Asthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 12:51 AM   #19
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I love the Globemaster, though I still don't own one. My major purchase this year was the Speedmaster Pro, which had been on my list for some time. The 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 pushed me over the edge I suppose.

The Globemaster certainly has its quirks. The bracelet can have a bit of a gap between the first and second link, depending on the size of your wrist. I think the previous post lists many of the potential issues one might have with the Globemaster, and then some. I would caution you, however, that if you're going to poor over your watch with a loupe, brace yourself for disappointment whatever you buy.

The Globemaster has a gorgeous dial. The three-dimensional aspect really stands out. The bezel is also a nice touch, not to mention exceedingly durable in the tungsten carbide versions. The movement is no slouch, either. Omega might have over-played the accuracy a little in their advertising, but I own an 8900, 8906 (GMT), 8602 (Day-Date), and 8400 (time only). All of them have been highly accurate.

The Globemaster isn't a watch that will fetch universal love, much the same way the original PloProf didn't, nor the Speedmaster MKII and any number of other watches that may have missed the mark on mass appeal, but nevertheless became cult favorites. If the Globemaster speaks to you, then embrace it. You may find yourself owning a horological unicorn someday. More likely, though, you will just need to find contentment in celebrating your own style.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 05:41 AM   #20
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

I always sort of liked the Globemaster and thought if I could pick a preowned one up cheap enough I’d go for it. I saw a couple of dealers had them in, one of which had the annual calendar which I dismissed out of hand. Every photo looked pretty cluttered to me. I tried it on and after a couple of minutes bought it! I don’t know why but every review says the same thing that it’s a complete different story when it’s on your wrist.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 01:48 PM   #21
CoinWatchCo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 6263
I like it, Vintage styling with modern reliability. Definitely recommend it!
CoinWatchCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
Recently the blue dial steel Globemaster caught my eye and I'm wondering if any of you have one- and if so, if you could tell me how you like it, if you have any regrets, etc. And of course post up a photo. Really love the look of this piece and am intrigued by the movement.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...13033392103001
I spent a lot of time looking at this watch

The movement is great, love the pie pan dial.

What I could not get past was the script writing for the months. Once it began to bug me I could never get past it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:26 PM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I've tried on several Globemasters and I really do like them, both the standard version and the annual calendar, because of the watch as a whole and because of the pie pan dial and the fluted bezel. It would be a strong contender for an everyday watch for me but, alas, I have too many watches as it is.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2021, 01:38 PM   #24
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
I love the Globemaster, though I still don't own one. My major purchase this year was the Speedmaster Pro, which had been on my list for some time. The 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 pushed me over the edge I suppose.

The Globemaster certainly has its quirks. The bracelet can have a bit of a gap between the first and second link, depending on the size of your wrist. I think the previous post lists many of the potential issues one might have with the Globemaster, and then some. I would caution you, however, that if you're going to poor over your watch with a loupe, brace yourself for disappointment whatever you buy.

The Globemaster has a gorgeous dial. The three-dimensional aspect really stands out. The bezel is also a nice touch, not to mention exceedingly durable in the tungsten carbide versions. The movement is no slouch, either. Omega might have over-played the accuracy a little in their advertising, but I own an 8900, 8906 (GMT), 8602 (Day-Date), and 8400 (time only). All of them have been highly accurate.

The Globemaster isn't a watch that will fetch universal love, much the same way the original PloProf didn't, nor the Speedmaster MKII and any number of other watches that may have missed the mark on mass appeal, but nevertheless became cult favorites. If the Globemaster speaks to you, then embrace it. You may find yourself owning a horological unicorn someday. More likely, though, you will just need to find contentment in celebrating your own style.

Unless, of course, you have a GS!
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2021, 10:15 PM   #25
MTBer
"TRF" Member

I tried one on and liked it, just not on my 6.75” wrist. Even though it’s only 39mm, I felt it wore large for a casual watch that leans slightly dressy. For this style of watch, I’d prefer that they shrink it a few mm making it more proportional to the vintage pie pan Constellations.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 01:47 AM   #26
iaymnu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II/GMT2c
Love the Globemaster but my bracelet fell apart. 2 pins in the center just gave out and it’s back at Omega service for warranty fix.

iaymnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 02:47 PM   #27
cpatab2020
"TRF" Member

Old thread, but continued enjoyment of mine which was running about +0.5 day over a month. A more casual strap improves its versatility.
cpatab2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:56 PM   #28
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Yes!!!

I discovered this model on Sunday and added one to my collection yesterday!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 11:42 PM   #29
aadamo188
Banned

I saw someone wearing one recently and it was beautiful. Starting to consider one myself...
aadamo188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 08:58 AM   #30
cpatab2020
"TRF" Member

Excellent decision!

IMG_6229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpatab2020 is offline   Reply With Quote