The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 28 April 2019, 01:00 AM   #31
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
This is my one and only Panerai.

I could care less whether it goes up in value. Most will mock me for paying over retail, but I could care less. I love this piece and it was worth every penny

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Well done my brother.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 07:16 AM   #32
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
I have owned both and continue to do so—Rolex for almost 30 years and Panerai for almost 20 years...no one can accuse me of bashing Rolex—it’s a premier global brand for all the right reasons...a Rolex is a great gift to buy your wife...they look great on women...for a man, it’s just a boring watch. Why? Every man with a bit of status has and wears a Rolex. So what? Where is the individuality with it? The statement it makes is “I have money and I play it safe. I either enjoy being like the majority of other people who have money and like to wear a nice watch; I have money and know nothing about watches and just don’t care; or I am a sensible guy and like to wear sensible timepieces.” If you own a vintage Rolex, that a different ball game and a vintage in conjunction with other pieces is nice.

Panerai is everything exciting about wearing watches. The rarity of the brand, the boldness of the dial, the nuances in the different models, the look on the wrist, the changing of the straps, and the wonderful community of Paneristi.

Be bold—try it out.

Or be boring and don’t.
Well said!
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 07:19 AM   #33
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
I get your dilemma. I was a Rolex fanboy for decades and at one point had 12 SS sports models. Only a year back I had 9 but that's now down to just 1 'keeper', a Hulk I've had for 8 years.

Many years ago I had a PAM24 Submersible, but this only lasted a few days. I thought it was too big, too shiny and I hated the rotar wobble of the Valjoux movement.

Every now and then I would still hanker for one, the 233 in particular - for some reason.

A couple of years ago I picked up a 233 and it snowballed. In that time I've owned 233, 346, 425, 389, 368, 932, 687, 932, 911, 913, 654 (I think that's it), and still own 7 of them, albeit that I'm offloading 3 to fund a house move.

Since the Panerai arrived the Rolexes literally never got/get worn and I sold 8 of them.

So why Panerai:
The history is every bit as interesting as Rolex. Heritage, marketing plus some scandal.
The strap changing is addictive and changes the look hugely.
The London Boutique team are stars - on first name terms with them all and you can always pop in for a drink and chat, not just about watches.
The quality of the watches (all inhouse movements) IMO is every bit as good as others in that price point.
It's very rare to ever see anyone else wearing a Panerai (Rolex are so so ubiquitous).

In particular I love (on various models):
The presence on the wrist - if you're wearing a watch, then wear a watch... Bold and proud.
The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Easy change strap mechanism.
Titanium cases.
Power reserve indicators.
The easy change hour hand (jumps for timezones).
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

As for value, yes Rolex tend to hold/increase, but if you want an investment put your money into your pension or an ISA, if you want to ENJOY a hobby follow your heart.

Personally I don't get on with the "Bettarini' case models, they lack the curves/interest of the 1950, 1940 and other Rads.
Man you nailed it!
Old 29 April 2019, 11:19 AM   #34
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
You should buy pre-owned and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nick you have a spectacular collection my friend and if you don't mind me saying a wrist like a spartan warrior!!!
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 11:37 AM   #35
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperna View Post
Nick you have a spectacular collection my friend and if you don't mind me saying a wrist like a spartan warrior!!!

Thank you my brother, I also enjoy to see your collection as well.

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 01:58 AM   #36
Jmango
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oh so many...
There is but no good reason to not love them both, I do!
Jmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 03:12 PM   #37
Zanderwestcoast
"TRF" Member

I own a couple Rolex's that I've worn exclusively for last 10 years and recently bought my first Panerai. Its a 1950 PAM 372 model and I love it. It oozes a style x factor that the Rolex do not possess in my opinion. I don't expect it to go up in value like my ss Daytona, but I don't care. This watch kills.
Zanderwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 09:33 PM   #38
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
i’ve always said buy what you like, wear what you want.

rolex has a status symbol appeal for some, panerai is just different. almost all of the panerai people i’ve met are great....while I love my Daytona it doesn’t get the wrist time my panerai’s do.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 09:07 AM   #39
Jmango
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oh so many...
Love this thread. Honestly, thought I was alone here. I own several Breitling, Rolex, Omega, Raymond Weil, Seiko and of course, Panerai...

I friggin LOVE all of my watches and there is nothing like the feeling of "rediscovering" them all over again when one I haven't worn in a while comes up in the rotation... I can see no good reason to crap on one brand over another. It's kind of like white chocolate... I don't like it, it's just not my taste, but I'll sit over here happily destroying a dark chocolate bar with zero judgement while fully recognizing people like white chocolate. I just don't buy it myself. Horses for courses.

Try them all, wear them proud and let the world know that our struggle of sneaking a new watch past our wives is REAL. :)
Jmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 09:35 AM   #40
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
I own a couple Rolex's that I've worn exclusively for last 10 years and recently bought my first Panerai. Its a 1950 PAM 372 model and I love it. It oozes a style x factor that the Rolex do not possess in my opinion. I don't expect it to go up in value like my ss Daytona, but I don't care. This watch kills.
You get it
Old 16 May 2019, 10:03 AM   #41
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I was a Rolex fan boy for years then fell out of love. I went to Hublot, Ap, iwc you name it. Still like to get back my submariner I sold but I can tell you this. No watch has brought me more joy then my panerai. Not even my Roo. It checks all the right boxes. I wear it by the pool then put a nice strap on and it looks like a completely different watch.
While in Miami Ive most of seen over 100 rolexes. It's to common. But!!!! When I saw a Panerai I was like damn that looks amazing. Wait to you catch someone wearing one you will be mesmerized. P.s. for a brand that is "dyeing " while I was in the store in the Miami district on a Monday they sold 2 watches in a matter of 20 minutes.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 12:05 PM   #42
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

it's rolex & panerai for me. next.
Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:33 PM   #43
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I was a Rolex fan boy for years then fell out of love. I went to Hublot, Ap, iwc you name it. Still like to get back my submariner I sold but I can tell you this. No watch has brought me more joy then my panerai. Not even my Roo. It checks all the right boxes. I wear it by the pool then put a nice strap on and it looks like a completely different watch.
While in Miami Ive most of seen over 100 rolexes. It's to common. But!!!! When I saw a Panerai I was like damn that looks amazing. Wait to you catch someone wearing one you will be mesmerized. P.s. for a brand that is "dyeing " while I was in the store in the Miami district on a Monday they sold 2 watches in a matter of 20 minutes.
Great summary. I feel the same way.
Old 21 May 2019, 04:30 AM   #44
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
I don’t know, but during the noughties I absolutely loved panerais, but now growing a little tired of them, their size and over inflated pricing and don’t forget the pitfalls of buying on the secondary market where it’s so hard to tell the difference between a real/ fake. Rolex just seems to cultivate its brand image so well.

Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:12 PM   #45
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
I get your dilemma. I was a Rolex fanboy for decades and at one point had 12 SS sports models. Only a year back I had 9 but that's now down to just 1 'keeper', a Hulk I've had for 8 years.

Many years ago I had a PAM24 Submersible, but this only lasted a few days. I thought it was too big, too shiny and I hated the rotar wobble of the Valjoux movement.

Every now and then I would still hanker for one, the 233 in particular - for some reason.

A couple of years ago I picked up a 233 and it snowballed. In that time I've owned 233, 346, 425, 389, 368, 932, 687, 932, 911, 913, 654 (I think that's it), and still own 7 of them, albeit that I'm offloading 3 to fund a house move.

Since the Panerai arrived the Rolexes literally never got/get worn and I sold 8 of them.

So why Panerai:
The history is every bit as interesting as Rolex. Heritage, marketing plus some scandal.
The strap changing is addictive and changes the look hugely.
The London Boutique team are stars - on first name terms with them all and you can always pop in for a drink and chat, not just about watches.
The quality of the watches (all inhouse movements) IMO is every bit as good as others in that price point.
It's very rare to ever see anyone else wearing a Panerai (Rolex are so so ubiquitous).

In particular I love (on various models):
The presence on the wrist - if you're wearing a watch, then wear a watch... Bold and proud.
The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Easy change strap mechanism.
Titanium cases.
Power reserve indicators.
The easy change hour hand (jumps for timezones).
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

As for value, yes Rolex tend to hold/increase, but if you want an investment put your money into your pension or an ISA, if you want to ENJOY a hobby follow your heart.

Personally I don't get on with the "Bettarini' case models, they lack the curves/interest of the 1950, 1940 and other Rads.
Agree 100% “Personally I don't get on with the "Bettarini' case models, they lack the curves/interest of the 1950, 1940 and other Rads“
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:14 PM   #46
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
I really don't get some of the collections people have on this site. Some have 10+ Rolex sports models. How do you choose what to wear? Which one of the 5 black subs/SDs will you wear today? I prefer some diversity in a collection, and adding a Pam or two certainly does that.

I agree with the suggestion to buy used though, as new prices are too high. The prices on some models are creeping back up as the used supply dries up, but it's taken quite a few years. You need to buy carefully when it comes to Panerai so you don't lose your shirt.
100% agree
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:53 PM   #47
Nunez. Jacob
"TRF" Member

nice

yeah got this last week I came from Rolex also just a new addition still have my other 3 Rolex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190517_102409-1209x1612-768x1024.jpg (133.6 KB, 90 views)
Nunez. Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote