The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Swatch groups 'Time to move' event 14-16th May 2019

I'm expecting new releases tomorrow. The event is open to the press. (AD's attended a similar event in March for the upcoming releases I believe).

Why is there no hype? Anyone else excited?
Watch Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:37 PM   #2
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Explorer View Post
I'm expecting new releases tomorrow. The event is open to the press. (AD's attended a similar event in March for the upcoming releases I believe).

Why is there no hype? Anyone else excited?
I think Swatch have botched this up royally. You can barely find any information about this week’s releases online. There is zero hype.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

I agree it's a bit shocking to me. There doesn't even seem to be much interest from potential customers either!
Old 13 May 2019, 09:07 PM   #4
BT1985
"TRF" Member

PR has been really bad I agree. They are unveiling a steel 50th anniversary speedy pro on Wednesday for God sakes and aside from the Omega Forum, which has a long thread on it, and one brief vague article from WatchPro there has been nothing. A lot of my friends who collect had no idea whatsoever. Very odd. Almost wonder if there is some collusion between the watch media and Baselworld fair and participants as a way to pressure Swatch to rejoining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:15 PM   #5
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
...Almost wonder if there is some collusion between the watch media and Baselworld fair and participants as a way to pressure Swatch to rejoining.

Interesting theory. It is very, very odd that there is no information or articles from any of the usual horology publishers. You'd figure a 50th anniversary Speedy alone would have a couple of articles written in anticipation.

Old 13 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #6
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
I would not be surprised if there was no event and we heard nothing tomorrow. There is nothing on any Swatch Group brands website? Really wanted to see new Fifty Fathoms from Blancpain and what Omega would release in the Planet Ocean 600M.
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #7
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PR has been really bad I agree. They are unveiling a steel 50th anniversary speedy pro on Wednesday for God sakes and aside from the Omega Forum, which has a long thread on it, and one brief vague article from WatchPro there has been nothing. A lot of my friends who collect had no idea whatsoever. Very odd. Almost wonder if there is some collusion between the watch media and Baselworld fair and participants as a way to pressure Swatch to rejoining.

Huh. I had never considered that possibility and now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

Or Omega botched this transition away from Basel and won’t give any info to the usual watch media to “leak” to potential customers in the hopes of building hype through the mystery surrounding any new watches?
El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:58 PM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer1 View Post
I would not be surprised if there was no event and we heard nothing tomorrow. There is nothing on any Swatch Group brands website? Really wanted to see new Fifty Fathoms from Blancpain and what Omega would release in the Planet Ocean 600M.
Nothing on their website. Nothing on their social media platforms. I don't understand what they are doing.

Old 13 May 2019, 10:58 PM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

No hype because they have shifted it all online to their instagram platform as its been so successful for certain releases of the past.

Hodinkee will break the news tomorrow, as will watch-ville, revolution etc. Then it will be big news. They've done this in the past, utilised online media channels and done specials and videos.

Omega are the only brand embracing new channels of delivering. Time will tell if that's a bad move.

They are drumming up interest with celebs and events throughout the year and re-enaging their core customers via instagram and boutique events.

As for the speedmaster release tomorrow. I think it will take a while for them to shift 6,969 pieces of steel and sedana gold, with a sapphire crystal, even though its a 50th anniversary piece.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 11:06 PM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
No hype because they have shifted it all online to their instagram platform as its been so successful for certain releases of the past.

Hodinkee will break the news tomorrow, as will watch-ville, revolution etc. Then it will be big news. They've done this in the past, utilised online media channels and done specials and videos.

Omega are the only brand embracing new channels of delivering. Time will tell if that's a bad move.

They are drumming up interest with celebs and events throughout the year and re-enaging their core customers via instagram and boutique events.

As for the speedmaster release tomorrow. I think it will take a while for them to shift 6,969 pieces of steel and sedana gold, with a sapphire crystal, even though its a 50th anniversary piece.
Except there isn't anything on their Instagram platforms. Blancpain has zero posts about the new FF. Not one teaser. Other than posting about Clooney, Omega has nothing about the steel 50th anniversary, nor the 321. Breguet is currently posting about their current lineup.

They haven't released one teaser or any information about this debacle of an event.

How do they expect to drum up hype and excitement when they basically act as if it doesn't exist until the day of the event?

Old 13 May 2019, 11:31 PM   #11
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Except there isn't anything on their Instagram platforms. Blancpain has zero posts about the new FF. Not one teaser. Other than posting about Clooney, Omega has nothing about the steel 50th anniversary, nor the 321. Breguet is currently posting about their current lineup.

They haven't released one teaser or any information about this debacle of an event.

How do they expect to drum up hype and excitement when they basically act as if it doesn't exist until the day of the event?

It could be a way to best ensure the limited editions end up in the hands of enthusiasts rather than flippers that may not follow as closely. No real need to telegraph something you know will sell out and it makes no difference for non-limited pieces since there will be plenty of press and time to hype from the time of release to the time these watches actually hit retail outlets.

I still do find the lack of coverage from Horology media on the Speedy Pro odd since the 50th anniversary piece, even without being pushed at all by Omega PR at this time, is a big event worth covering.

Old 13 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #12
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Compared to the countless speculation threads and media coverage that revolve around Baselworld every year, this hasn't created a ripple yet.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out in the next few days.
Old 13 May 2019, 11:52 PM   #13
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I’m really ready to see what they’re putting the 321 in.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 11:59 PM   #14
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
I’m really ready to see what they’re putting the 321 in.

Rumor is a very limited platinum 50th anniversary moonwatch but that is completely speculation.

Old 14 May 2019, 09:01 AM   #15
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

I would like a 39-40mm SMP no date in Steel or TI.
Old 14 May 2019, 10:20 AM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Duderino View Post
Huh. I had never considered that possibility and now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

Or Omega botched this transition away from Basel and won’t give any info to the usual watch media to “leak” to potential customers in the hopes of building hype through the mystery surrounding any new watches?
I’d say B
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:31 PM   #17
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Absolutely zero hype, or even information. Amazing. Omega keep f’ing up opportunities like this, which is a shame because I love their watches. Knowing them, whatever they release won’t be delivered until mid-2021 anyway, after taking full deposits.

That being said, of course I’m stoked to see what they have coming.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:35 PM   #18
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Ok, it's actually happening... There are some posts on instagram about people travelling to, and getting ready for the event.
Old 14 May 2019, 07:18 PM   #19
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

I've read BlancPain Fifty Fathoms fans are in for a real treat.....But there is an embargo on them until Friday
Old 14 May 2019, 07:57 PM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
It could be a way to best ensure the limited editions end up in the hands of enthusiasts rather than flippers that may not follow as closely. No real need to telegraph something you know will sell out and it makes no difference for non-limited pieces since there will be plenty of press and time to hype from the time of release to the time these watches actually hit retail outlets.

I still do find the lack of coverage from Horology media on the Speedy Pro odd since the 50th anniversary piece, even without being pushed at all by Omega PR at this time, is a big event worth covering.

I promise you, Swatch and Omega care very little if their watches end up in the hands of enthusiasts. They simply want them to sell.

Personally, I’ll be surprised if the move through nearly 7,000 watches with this configuration. Speedy Tuesday did great. Ultraman, not so much. Hodinkee was widely panned.

Even grays appear to have difficulty moving some of these.

I’m a big Omega fan. But I think they have taken a great opportunity and completely blown it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 08:10 PM   #21
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Still nothing about this event? On the day this event is supposed to start, Blancpain, Breguet and Omega social media accounts mention nothing??

Old 14 May 2019, 08:13 PM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Still nothing about this event? On the day this event is supposed to start, Blancpain, Breguet and Omega social media accounts mention nothing??
Unless they pull some kind of rabbit out of the proverbial watch box, this imho, will be one of the all time greatest missed opportunities in the business world.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 08:13 PM   #23
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've read BlancPain Fifty Fathoms fans are in for a real treat.....But there is an embargo on them until Friday
The event doesn't last until Friday though.

Old 14 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Unless they pull some kind of rabbit out of the proverbial watch box, this imho, will be one of the all time greatest missed opportunities in the business world.
100% agree. In the age of easily accessible media outlets, this is unacceptable.

Old 14 May 2019, 08:17 PM   #25
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The event doesn't last until Friday though.
I hope the embargo is only for Blancpain..I guess they lift the embargo when the event is over...Hopefully it's not imposed on everything.

I'm looking at posts on instagram with the hashtag 'Time to move' for the latest updates.

The lack of hype/information is laughable and annoying currently!

Last edited by Watch Explorer; 14 May 2019 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14 May 2019, 08:52 PM   #26
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

It makes sense to stagger the releases so each brand gets it's own time in the limelight rather than an avalanche when the embargo lifts on Friday imo.
Old 14 May 2019, 08:59 PM   #27
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It makes sense to stagger the releases so each brand gets it's own time in the limelight rather than an avalanche when the embargo lifts on Friday imo.
I would hope they'd atleast release something each day. Waiting for everything until Friday is a remarkably bad decision.

Old 14 May 2019, 09:15 PM   #28
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Until I read this thread this morning, I had no idea about this event . And until 2 days ago I had no idea about the steel 50th speedy... and I read on line numerous times a day to satisfy my watch obsession... ummm hobby.... so I agree w others, this seems like quite a missed opportunity by Swatch, especially given the less than impressive Basel showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 09:55 PM   #29
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Quite sad to see how Swatch, AP and others seem unable to take advantage of a once in a generation opportunity with a roaring watch world. Shows to tell how much the industry owes to Rolex/Tudor
Old 14 May 2019, 10:09 PM   #30
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
Quite sad to see how Swatch, AP and others seem unable to take advantage of a once in a generation opportunity with a roaring watch world. Shows to tell how much the industry owes to Rolex/Tudor
Tudors marketing leading up to Baselworld this year was fantastic. Even if the release of the PO1 was disappointing after the Instagram teases..