The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2019, 10:31 PM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Bracelet install Speedy Pro

Only one week into Moonwatch ownership and I nearly through the thing through my kitchen window last night.

I have removed the bracelet, installed a leather strap. Removed the leather strap, installed a kevlar strap. Removed the kevlar strap. No issues at all with any of this. I was shocked how easy it was, especially compared to my Tudor watches.

However, last night I tried to reinstall the bracelet and just could NOT get it done. I don't know what the "trick" is to doing this but I could sure use some suggestions.

With the strap I sort of get one end of the springbar into the hole on one side, and pop the other side in. With the bracelet however, I can't seem to get enough clearance to do this.

Without getting one side set, it seems like the springbar will not compress enough to clear the lugs unless one side is actually set in the hole.

Any tips or videos anyone can point me to to help with this? Everything else has gone great except this. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:34 AM   #2
Fermi_Paradox
"TRF" Member

Hey,
I've also had some trouble getting the bracelet reinstalled, and had concern about damaging the lugs. My solution is to cover the lugs with scotch tape to protect them from the strap tool and the spring bars, then I angle the end link between the lugs such that the spring bar on this side isn't in the lug hole. Following this I compress the spring bar and then push the other side of the end link down. This results in the spring bar being compressed on both sides with the end link fully down between the lugs and then I just wiggle until the spring bar lands home in the lug holes.
I took some pictures of the process this morning however my post count isn't high enough to post images. Feel free to PM me and I'll email them along if you want.
Cheers,
Scott

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Fermi_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:27 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Strange. The speedy bracelet is one of the easiest bracelets to take off and put back on.

You're using the spring bars that came with the speedmaster bracelet ?
Old 21 May 2019, 07:08 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Strange. The speedy bracelet is one of the easiest bracelets to take off and put back on.

You're using the spring bars that came with the speedmaster bracelet ?
Good question. I don't know. I bought this used and there were several sets of springbars with it. Is there any easy way for me to tell which ones I should be using?

Old 21 May 2019, 07:50 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good question. I don't know. I bought this used and there were several sets of springbars with it. Is there any easy way for me to tell which ones I should be using?

Even among Omega OEM spring bars, there is a noticeable difference between the ones meant to be used with the bracelet (shorter) and those meant to be used with straps (longer).

The part reference number for the current bracelet's spring bars is 068ST2207.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:54 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Even among Omega OEM spring bars, there is a noticeable difference between the ones meant to be used with the bracelet (shorter) and those meant to be used with straps (longer).

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. Should I visually be able to see the difference between the longer and shorter spring bars? One of the three sets is most likely the original bracelet spring bars.

Old 21 May 2019, 07:59 AM   #7
KBM

Quote:
Thank you very much, this is very helpful. Should I visually be able to see the difference between the longer and shorter spring bars? One of the three sets is most likely the original bracelet spring bars.

Yes, I believe you should be able to see the difference with the spring bars side by side.
Old 21 May 2019, 08:05 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, I believe you should be able to see the difference with the spring bars side by side.
Ok thanks again. I'll take another look at this and post the results. Good info!

Old 21 May 2019, 08:06 AM   #9
KBM

I might add that, although pricey, the Bergeon 7825 is, imo, the best tool on the market to install and remove bracelets. Makes it a breeze.

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-78...-bar-tweezers/
Old 21 May 2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:

Curious as to why longer spring bars are needed for straps. I am using the spring bars that were in my bracelet, should I be using a different set that came with my watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:27 AM   #11
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Curious as to why longer spring bars are needed for straps. I am using the spring bars that were in my bracelet, should I be using a different set that came with my watch?

I believe the bracelet requires spring bars to be a little shorter in order to allow for the installation/removal within the gaps of the end links. Straps wouldn't have that issue, but, in turn, also lack the protection the end links provide for the stability of the spring bars. I suppose they are a bit longer in order to be more secure.
Old 21 May 2019, 08:34 AM   #12
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I believe it's the opposite. Straps don't need longer bars, they use the proper size. Bracelets can get away with going shorter. Straps use properly sized spring bars because they need the added security. Bracelets are rigid, and a slightly (1mm) smaller springbar can be used, which in turn makes them easier to remove.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:36 AM   #13
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe the bracelet requires spring bars to be a little shorter in order to allow for the installation/removal within the gaps of the end links. Straps wouldn't have that issue, but, in turn, also lack the protection the end links provide for the stability of the spring bars. I suppose they are a bit longer in order to be more secure.
You answered just as I was typing my response. Haha
I believe this is the reason for the difference in size. A bracelet can get away with a properly sized spring bar, but it's not needed and the slightly shorter bar length makes it easier to work with.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:39 AM   #14
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I believe this is the reason for the difference in size. A bracelet can get away with a properly sized spring bar, but it's not needed and the slightly shorter bar length makes it easier to work with.
Old 21 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #15
wisguy
"TRF" Member

It's harder than putting a strap on, but it does take some time and getting used to do it.

Much easier than any Rolex though!
Old 21 May 2019, 09:07 AM   #16
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermi_Paradox View Post
Hey,
I've also had some trouble getting the bracelet reinstalled, and had concern about damaging the lugs. My solution is to cover the lugs with scotch tape to protect them from the strap tool and the spring bars, then I angle the end link between the lugs such that the spring bar on this side isn't in the lug hole. Following this I compress the spring bar and then push the other side of the end link down. This results in the spring bar being compressed on both sides with the end link fully down between the lugs and then I just wiggle until the spring bar lands home in the lug holes.
I took some pictures of the process this morning however my post count isn't high enough to post images. Feel free to PM me and I'll email them along if you want.
Cheers,
Scott

This is exactly what I do, and assuming the correct spring-bars, it works effectively.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:23 AM   #17
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post

Appreciate the responses guys!

So will I be ok using the spring bars that were on my speedy bracelet with a strap? Or should I get longer spring bars? Are the extra spring bars that come in the speedmaster kit for this reason?

Old 21 May 2019, 09:34 AM   #18
Fermi_Paradox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
This is exactly what I do, and assuming the correct spring-bars, it works effectively.
Fortunately for me I bought the watch new so I know the bars are of the correct length. That said, I've also used the bars that came installed with the bracelet for all the straps I've worn. The watch did come with four extra spring bars which, although I've never taken them out of the plastic, appear to be the same length. Never thought of switching the bars when mounting a strap versus bracelet.

Fermi_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:55 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermi_Paradox View Post
Hey,
Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott. I missed this response first time around. Let me check my spring bars first to see if I was using the correct size for the bracelet. If I'm still having trouble I will shoot you a PM. Appreciate the reply!

Old 21 May 2019, 10:02 AM   #20
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Appreciate the responses guys!

So will I be ok using the spring bars that were on my speedy bracelet with a strap? Or should I get longer spring bars? Are the extra spring bars that come in the speedmaster kit for this reason?

After hearing these responses I would be more comfortable using the longer spring bars with straps. Less likely to pop out I would think. Extra layer of security.

Old 21 May 2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After hearing these responses I would be more comfortable using the longer spring bars with straps. Less likely to pop out I would think. Extra layer of security.

Agreed! So I checked my Speedy Pro kit, and the extra spring bars that come with it are the longer ones, and they are slightly larger when compared side by side. So I swapped them out. Better safe than sorry!

Old 22 May 2019, 09:11 AM   #22
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I usually slide the endlink from the caseback side, with one end of the spring bar near or already in the lug hole. Using my thumb on the backside of the EL, and my index on the dial side, I pinch ever so slightly as I use a toothpick (or something non-metallic to avoid scratches) to depress the other end of the spring bar. Once that clears the lugs, just move the endlink around until you hear that satisfying "click." Repeat on the other side. I used to put scotch tape on the lugs, until I got better at it.

Congrats on the acquisition. Mine, with the newly donned GasGasBones strap, says HELLO!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osmp3.jpg (82.5 KB, 264 views)
captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:52 PM   #23
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m a wuss. I take it to my local Boutique where they are happy to make swaps for me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 10:35 PM   #24
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_NEMO View Post
I usually slide the endlink from the caseback side, with one end of the spring bar near or already in the lug hole. Using my thumb on the backside of the EL, and my index on the dial side, I pinch ever so slightly as I use a toothpick (or something non-metallic to avoid scratches) to depress the other end of the spring bar. Once that clears the lugs, just move the endlink around until you hear that satisfying "click." Repeat on the other side. I used to put scotch tape on the lugs, until I got better at it.

Congrats on the acquisition. Mine, with the newly donned GasGasBones strap, says HELLO!
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:44 AM   #25
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
I might add that, although pricey, the Bergeon 7825 is, imo, the best tool on the market to install and remove bracelets. Makes it a breeze.

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-78...-bar-tweezers/
I keep seeing these spring bar tweezers pop up for removal and reinstall of bracelets ..... I’m thinking I need to get one along with a few other items from Esslinger
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #26
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I keep seeing these spring bar tweezers pop up for removal and reinstall of bracelets ..... I’m thinking I need to get one along with a few other items from Esslinger
If you like to change bracelets a lot, swap them for straps, etc, you won't regret it. This tool makes a world of difference.
Old 23 May 2019, 04:22 AM   #27
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you like to change bracelets a lot, swap them for straps, etc, you won't regret it. This tool makes a world of difference.
Do they actually grip the spring bars? like can you pick up a spring bar using that tool? Or do you have to kind of balance it on the back of the watch first and then compress the ends?

I've been considering one of these for a while. Now that I have gotten into the strap game with my Tudor and Omega, these could really help out.

Oh and final question, are these the fine tips that will work on Tudors too?
Old 23 May 2019, 04:26 AM   #28
KBM

Quote:
Do they actually grip the spring bars? like can you pick up a spring bar using that tool?
Yes.

Quote:
Oh and final question, are these the fine tips that will work on Tudors too?
I've tested it on Rolex, Breitling and Omega, I suppose Tudor shouldn't be a problem.
Old 23 May 2019, 04:43 AM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes.

I've tested it on Rolex, Breitling and Omega, I suppose Tudor shouldn't be a problem.
Great, thanks. I think I may order one of these. Looks so much easier than a standard spring bar tool.

Old 23 May 2019, 04:56 AM   #30
KBM

Quote:
Great, thanks. I think I may order one of these. Looks so much easier than a standard spring bar tool.

The spring bar tool is good for straps, but bracelets are much easier with that tool. Good luck!