The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2018, 02:43 PM   #1
akapur12
"TRF" Member

My First Rolex! Decisions, Decisions...(Help!)

New to the forum but excited to be here!

I have been researching watches for the last year and have gone back and forth on brand (Omega's Aqua Terra was enticing), but ultimately have decided on wanting a Rolex watch. I just graduated from business school in May and started working in marketing in August, and I want to commemorate the whole experience of this past year with a new daily wear watch. This will be my first major watch purchase. For reference, I wear jeans and a button down to work everyday.

I am having a hard time deciding between a the Datejust 41 and the Submariner LV - two very different watches. Before continuing - I know that the Hulk is pretty hard to find, but I am family friends with an AD who may be able to get me on a shortlist (no one takes deposits anymore it seems, as ADs can't predict what they will get in stock) for the watch. It may take a few months, but ideally I should be able to land one.

The Datejust I'm considering is the 41mm smooth bezel with the blue dial. I didn't realize this had a sunburst dial until recently which added to my liking of the watch. I'm not convinced that I love this in fluted vs the smooth - I think the fluted makes it too dressy for a daily wear and also takes away from the magnificent blue dial.

The Hulk is a beautiful watch that stands out differently than most Rolex watches. The Submariner is obviously an iconic watch and can make for a great wear with anything - from jeans to a suit. I know that people have hesitancy as using the Hulk as a daily wear, but I'm of the belief that a watch is an accessory and doesn't need to match your outfit clothing item-per-clothing item.

I feel that both of these watches could be great daily wears and I love that both watches have the cyclops lens (essential for me). The sizes of the watches are both in my wheelhouse, as I'm looking for a 40 or 41 mm.

I've heard that the Datejust 41 can be hard to read because the sticks are relatively small, and that its luminescence is hard to read at night. Has anyone had experiences like this?

Also I would love to hear people's thoughts on this! I know I'm not the first or last person that will make a post like this, but I've tried to include as much detail about my situation as possible to personalize it. I also know Baselworld 2019 is coming up in March and there could be new releases then too, which adds to the confusion. All opinions welcome, and thank you in advance for reading my rather lengthy post!
akapur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:10 PM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

If between those two, choose whichever one makes you feel better.

If you want my opinion, the Sub LVc by far. Better versatility and higher retention of value for sure (the DJ will lose value).
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:13 PM   #3
jenedla
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't choose
I would opt for the LV, not because its hard to get, but because I prefer sports watches. They fit my lifestyle much better than a DJ. That being said, I would also think hard about having a green watch as my one "nice" watch. Many love the LV, but I would be reluctant to have it as my one and only. Thats just me, though.

Know in advance that whichever you choose, it is a slippery slope and you will probably end up with more than one before you know it.
jenedla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:51 PM   #4
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Green as a daily?
I’d go with the DJ
Apso consider 116710LN, great all around first Rolex
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:53 PM   #5
TheRtHonA
"TRF" Member

I would go with the Sub LV as a daily. You’re pretty casual and the green will look amazing on a day to day basis.
TheRtHonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

DJ for daily or black sub or blnr.
Old 21 October 2018, 11:56 PM   #7
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Welcome,

first Rolex Sub or GMT LN.

The GMT LN if you travel more, the Rolex Sub if you like to scuba and such.
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:58 PM   #8
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

DJ would be a better daily and the fluted bezel definitely doesn't make it dressy. i think any rolex except for the cellini is extremely versatile and can be worn with anything. my advice would be to see both the fluted and smooth in person and see how you feel. to me, the fluted bezel adds a lot to a DJ and will only make a sunburst dial look nicer

personally i would have a hard time having a green watch as my one and only. it would definitely be a good second watch though
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:12 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Tough call as you already know, they are two very different references.

I prefer professional sport watches in the Rolex catalogue mainly because they suit my style. I also like they they bring a little more to the table in terms of features.

No wrong answer, just buy what you like
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:24 AM   #10
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Smooth bezel dj or hulk? I would never get a DJ over a sub personally. Let alone one without the flutted bezel.

This is an easy decision. Get hulk... notice that you don’t like it later on, make some $ and get something else. Get a DJ, you’ll take a beating on the flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:44 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It's a battle for the Hulk. The new DJ41 is an awesome piece, don't think your getting shortchanged if that's your choice. Looks, fit, feel, new mvmt. extra power reserve. Happy choosing, you can't go wrong...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:48 AM   #12
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
Based on how you described yourself and your views, would go with the LV Sub. Good luck with whichever one you choose and wear it well!
Old 22 October 2018, 12:50 AM   #13
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
Welcome,

first Rolex Sub or GMT LN.

The GMT LN if you travel more, the Rolex Sub if you like to scuba and such.
This. Cant agree more. The Hulk is quite a statement for a one piece collection. Subtlety may be rewarded in daily work life.
Old 22 October 2018, 01:58 AM   #14
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
I love my Hulk as a daily.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:11 AM   #15
Pol1
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was the Datejust II 41mm blue dial fluted bezel, then came the GMT MasterII BLNR, the Hulk and the Seadweller 43. Wish-list : Pepsi Jubilé and Daytona Ceramic...
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:04 AM   #16
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Get what's available in your neck of woods. Local AD for after service and such.
The beauty of the DJ is that they're there for you when you need a good Rolex.
It's like a friend you can count on to celebrate with you.

The 1166610LV is a fantastic model with a robust 3135 movement, fresh green color and have put my name in the waiting list here.

But it is a difficult model to get hold of.
You have better chances of dating a dozen gorgeous models than to find one.
But if it's there then buy it. Now. I mean the LV
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:19 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Tough call as you already know, they are two very different references.

I prefer professional sport watches in the Rolex catalogue mainly because they suit my style. I also like they they bring a little more to the table in terms of features.

No wrong answer, just buy what you like
Boom. Spot on advice as always, my friend.

I would just add that I can't get a DJ to stick around for anything.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:14 AM   #18
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Either would be a great start to a collection. If you only want to own one nice watch, I think the Datejust would be more versatile.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:17 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Boom. Spot on advice as always, my friend.

I would just add that I can't get a DJ to stick around for anything.
Damn .... does that mean the rhodium is no longer?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Can’t go wrong with either, I’d personally go DJ blue if in your shoes based solely on personal taste.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:38 AM   #21
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR / DJ41
My first luxury watch was an Omega AT Skyfall. After about 2.5 years, I found myself in a position to get a GMT (116710BLNR). While I love my AT, I find myself wearing my GMT more as a daily watch; I do like the DJ and it may be my next "find"; I've actually contemplated trading the AT for a DJ. I think you will be happy no matter what you do; for my $.02 I would go the Sub route to start.
Oakley12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:08 PM   #22
doubleclass
Banned

Go with the LV Sub.
doubleclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:16 PM   #23
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i have both datejust 41 and the hulk LVc......

it seems that your daily wear is more casual, i would suggest get the hulk first.....plus it's an iconic piece that is very versatile......you can purchase DJ later on
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:21 PM   #24
Drive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife has way more
I would go with the Sub. They are very versatile for any wear. If I was going to make a suggestion, get the black Sub. They are a classic and will look good with anything.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:31 PM   #25
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Try them both on and buy whichever hurts your gut when you take it off. Even if the AD has managed to grab you a Hulk they will not be upset if you choose the Datejust as they will be able to shift it easily. Once you have them on your wrist you will know...
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:37 PM   #26
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Yes the DJ 41 lume sucks. I had one and it’s not a very legible watch. That being said, I do think the DJ is more versatile than the LV. The LV is a way hotter model, so there’s that. Fluted bezel does not take away from the dial whatsoever.

If you were a one watch guy, I’d say DJ, if you will be buying and collecting, get the LV now, and a more versatile watch later.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:26 PM   #27
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

choose whichever one makes you feel better,

for look? I think the new line of DJ looks great in this blue dial, fluted, jubilee version

sub feel more robust and less shiny, keeps better value if that matters
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:01 PM   #28
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Just depends on what you value more. I believe the DJ would be more versatile in general but the allure of the lvc is hard to resist. Personally I'd pick the lvc but if you had more formal occasions and dress nicer (than myself...I'm more of a sporty type)....the DJ would make more sense.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 04:56 PM   #29
HRT
Banned

I’ve owned both and the DJ is not hard to read. DJ is slimmer which i personally prefer, but overall, the hulk is a special watch and you can’t say that about the DJ IMO. Also, hulk for daily wear is a great watch!
HRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:16 AM   #30
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
I would opt for the Sub, as I also gravitate towards the sports models from Rolex. I graduated from business school in May 2017 and just recently purchased my one and only "big boy" watch, a new black ceramic GMT. My advice would be to go with a black sports model or a DJ. Personally, a green sub would be too much of an attention grabber and I would be uncomfortable wearing it daily in a business environment, but maybe this isn't the same for you. Salary discussions at year end as a newly graduated 23-year old with a Rolex on my wrist surely isn't a good negotiation tactic.

But, as you will hear often, get what speaks to you and excites you.
TK116710 is offline   Reply With Quote