The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2018, 12:46 PM   #61
peterpl
Banned

So if it was in MINT condition so what? They cant make you pay anything without proof you bought it there.

ALL my watches are mint. Never had any issues in the US/Asia/Australia or Europe. A few guys at the terminal saying nice watch but thats about it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:07 PM   #62
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I gotta make sure to wear scratchy watches abroad now lol.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:56 PM   #63
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

that's the reason I always photo my purchase receipts ,
and carry a used , scratched spare clasp …:-)
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:59 PM   #64
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
I don't see why the burden of proof should be on the accused here, rather than the customs officer.
because at a border there are different rules and expectations. Same as they can search your electronic devices, your property, your person without a search warrant. Its a border. The expectation is on you to prove you are innocent not on them to prove you are guilty
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:37 PM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I feel sorry for flippers who have a little trip with the stickers still on before they sell it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:46 PM   #66
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
Solution to this problem, is never go to the Caribbean. On my return from various European countries, I’ve never been asked. Besides, I heard someone say the Caribbean is full of s**t holes

Well, you will miss a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:53 PM   #67
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Solution to this problem, is never go to the Caribbean. On my return from various European countries, I’ve never been asked. Besides, I heard someone say the Caribbean is full of s**t holes

Solid post for a watch forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:02 PM   #68
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Ridiculous strategy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:06 PM   #69
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Because it hasn’t ever happened to some does not mean it doesn’t happen, specially if you are returning from the Caribbean, to a major US port, specially if you are returning from a cruise. So best to be aware and be prepared. BUT I have to say, in the times I have been asked about my watch, they have never gone further and asked for proof. As some have mentioned, they are trained to detect if I was lying to them.

The reason they ask is a simple one.......... very known fact that people buy lots of jewelry while on cruises in the Caribbean.
Old 23 October 2018, 10:30 PM   #70
R G
Banned

My wife gave me a DJ2 on our wedding day in Aruba. Had no issues coming back to the UK, and the watch didn’t have a single mark on it.

I took the receipt with us just in case, but to be honest, the easy way around this is to simply take a photo of the watch before going away. The photo will have the date/time on it.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:38 PM   #71
Uclaman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Because it hasn’t ever happened to some does not mean it doesn’t happen, specially if you are returning from the Caribbean, to a major US port, specially if you are returning from a cruise. So best to be aware and be prepared. BUT I have to say, in the times I have been asked about my watch, they have never gone further and asked for proof. As some have mentioned, they are trained to detect if I was lying to them.

The reason they ask is a simple one.......... very known fact that people buy lots of jewelry while on cruises in the Caribbean.
I understand why customs would want to know if an individual purchased a watch on a cruise.

How are they “trained to detect” lying? Are they human lie detectors? Did they go through lie detection training?

So if I look left I’m lying? If I act nervous, I’m lying?
Uclaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:28 AM   #72
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclaman View Post
I understand why customs would want to know if an individual purchased a watch on a cruise.

How are they “trained to detect” lying? Are they human lie detectors? Did they go through lie detection training?

I am not part of their inner circle to know what training they have received but it’s a well known fact they ask questions to prompt responses that can clue them as to deceitfulness, which then simply results in a free trip to a side room and the equivalent of unsolicited anal cavity checks.
Old 24 October 2018, 01:47 AM   #73
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclaman View Post

Haven’t you ever heard that poker players aren’t playing the cards?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:53 AM   #74
katiedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I traveled overseas three times this year but never once had to go through customs with global entry.

katiedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:04 AM   #75
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Here's my customs story. I bought a GMTc here in the States at my local AD. They following day we left for Burmuda. I took the watch with me and a copy of the Bill of Sale, just in case.

After the 7 day trip I proudly walk up to the customs checkpoint in a short sleeve shirt, watch on wrist and the Bill of Sale in my pocket. I'm all set for the questions to begin. All the customs agent asked was if we had any liquor or cigarettes to declare. He never gave the watch a second look and that watch certainly looked brand new.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:17 AM   #76
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post

I am not part of their inner circle to know what training they have received but it’s a well known fact they ask questions to prompt responses that can clue them as to deceitfulness, which then simply results in a free trip to a side room and the equivalent of unsolicited anal cavity checks.
Back in late 90s, I was traveling from Canada (home then) to US to attend a conference in Portland. I had a one hour presentation about some code I had written. The customs officer asked me 'business or pleasure?', I answered

- business, attending a conference.

- Are you presenting anything at the conference?

- Yes. My script about <blah blah>

- What is it about? more detail please.

This is when I went on for about 1 minute (which is really a long time when you are spending that time blabbering in front of a customs officer) about the details of my script , while he totally ignored me and went through the pages of my passport, then said:

- have a nice trip.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:34 AM   #77
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedaddy View Post
I traveled overseas three times this year but never once had to go through customs with global entry.

You went through an expedited screening process. You still went through US Customs.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:14 AM   #78
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
You went through an expedited screening process. You still went through US Customs.
Yup.

Big difference between avoiding a long line and using a kiosk as opposed to thinking you didn’t have to go through customs.
......and even after the initial kiosk, you still have to see someone (although again expedited by skipping the long line) after you claim your luggage, before you are completely cleared.
Old 24 October 2018, 10:33 AM   #79
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Good to know if buying overseas.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:01 PM   #80
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
yea take pictures with landmark before you leave show to them if anything.
Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:06 PM   #81
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Have you been to the Caribbean , of course not you're just repeating What someone said
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:15 PM   #82
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Besides, I heard someone say the Caribbean is full of s**t holes
Yes...that "someone" is a paragon of accuracy and truthfulness, isn't he?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:20 PM   #83
Golf11
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
On your next trip there's a form you can get from Customs that you can fill out -- they stamp and date it and when your return you show it to them. It's the "Custom Border Protection (CBP) Form 4457 Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad." It can be used multiple times if the items listed are coming and going.

Last edited by Golf11; 24 October 2018 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: add link
Golf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #84
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
What would they do if you said it was a fake? Would they have to prove that it was genuine?
Old 24 October 2018, 01:48 PM   #85
angerbot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
What would they do if you said it was a fake? Would they have to prove that it was genuine?
Probably would have seized it since importing a fake is illegal! That's probably not the way to get out of this one.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:14 PM   #86
R G
Banned

Quote:

Embarrassing.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:35 PM   #87
deltabravo786
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I don't think OP's experience is the norm and wouldn't give any further thought to needing to bring proof of purchase date.. I've come into the US through customs 25+ times, usually always wearing a Rolex and have never once been questioned (both with and without Global Entry). I've also declared several watches purchased overseas and have never been made to pay additional taxes either. Guess I've been lucky on that front, but I always declare and am always prepared to pay.
I thought if you bought something overseas over a certain value, you have to pay duties and taxes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
deltabravo786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:50 PM   #88
angerbot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo786 View Post
I thought if you bought something overseas over a certain value, you have to pay duties and taxes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
In Canada at least (probably the US as well) the customs agent has some amount of discretion. I ended up only paying $650 to import my Explorer II, which was far less than the tax should have been. On the same trip we brought back and declared about $11,000 worth of things and my watch was the only thing they charged for.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 09:41 PM   #89
FLAJIM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub
We travel to Europe and take cruises often... I carry copies of my receipts for my watches, laptops, iPads, jewelry and camera gear in top inside pocket of my suitcases... never take them out so they are always there.

I only needed them once in Miami returning on a cruise... Four couples were stopped... I was one... Customs asked about my Rolex and a ring my wife was wearing... I asked the officer if I could go into my suitcase and get the paperwork... He say, you have it ?? I said yes and he good, I wish more people would... We were held up for less than 10 mins.. the other 3 were delayed almost an hour...

Just my 2 cents on this subject....
FLAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 02:09 AM   #90
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I bought a Breitling in the Bahamas and declared it, paid duties. I asked the officer what would have happened if I didn't declare it and they caught me. He said I'd pay double the duty and they would put me on "the list" to be scrutinized on subsequent entries. This was 25+ years ago.

I remember once coming in and the customs agent got into my personal space and asked if I had anything to declare, staring at me big time. I can see where that could cause many people who were trying to get around them to maybe get nervous and show some "tells".

Another trip through Miami, all the customs agent did was smack my passport with his swagger stick because I didn't have it open for him at the moment that he was looking for it. He processed like 500 people a minute... not much of a deterrent there.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote