The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2018, 04:06 AM   #1
nn350
"TRF" Member

In Europe. Best market to purchase?

I’ll be in Europe over the next month in Paris, Vienna, Hungary and Prague. Will be looking to pick up a date just 36, Blnr (if I find one or find a dealer willing to bring one out if I combine purchases) and maybe a polar explorer.

Not all of these are for me. Buying for the family because of the tax back compared to USA.

My question is what’s the best place to buy? Paris seems to have dozens of ADs.
nn350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 04:08 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The best place will be wherever you find what you want to buy.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 05:20 AM   #3
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Popular models are here in Europe also very hard to find. Sub's, Daytona's, Sea Dwellers, GMT's..., waiting lists are even closed. One of the options could be https://www.chrono24.co.uk/?gclid=Cj...GB&SETCURR=EUR

Good luck!
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 05:21 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the best market to purchase is guaranteed to have the least options available to buy. You are not the only one attempting this.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 05:27 AM   #5
turnleftgofast
"TRF" Member

Was in Vienna last week. Very slim pickings of the SS models in all four ADs in the city - no better than the average London AD. A few YMIIs, Milgauss (including a white one, oddly enough), none of the ‘hot’ SS models.
turnleftgofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Germany is a good place for watch shopping
Old 14 June 2018, 07:13 AM   #7
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn350 View Post
I’ll be in Europe over the next month in Paris, Vienna, Hungary and Prague. Will be looking to pick up a date just 36, Blnr (if I find one or find a dealer willing to bring one out if I combine purchases) and maybe a polar explorer.

Not all of these are for me. Buying for the family because of the tax back compared to USA.

Be sure to check the stores at airports, sometimes it's the easiest way. Immediate tax free and simple. But often they don't have some models (especially the steel sport ones).
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 07:18 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Come to the UK, we can't give them away...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 07:59 AM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
This
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:50 AM   #10
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
I think only American AD's will put your name on the warranty card but maybe I am wrong.

Have fun in Europe! I will be in Munich soon to look for a blue SkyD.
So far I got very positive feedback about AD's in Germany!
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

In Europe. Best market to purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

This ^
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 10:06 AM   #12
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Go trusted seller route here in the states best price you will find and no tax.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 10:08 AM   #13
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you're miscalculating the 'deal' you're supposedly going to find. Prices /exchange rate are not like it used to be. Let me give you an example on the BLNR (although I will go ahead and guarantee you that this isn't going to happen):

BLNR in the US is $8950
BLNR in Germany is 8100EUR/$9560

That German price is of course inclusive of VAT, but you don't get it all back. Let's say you get 14% back when you claim your refund (and honestly, you'll be lucky to get that). This equates to $1340. Your purchase price on the BLNR was now $8220. Now add let's say 3% for when you claim it on return to the US. Your total purchase price when it was all said in done was $8466. Is this really worth the investment/hassle over $500?

Not to mention, a watch like the DJ36 and Polar EXP2? Those can EASILY be bought below MSRP for a WAY better deal in the states. You could contact any grey right now and get a deal on both of those watches. You're not getting a discount walking into a European AD, not speaking the mother tongue and asking for a discount, just being honest.

I suggest you reevaluate this, especially when it's not even for you. Tell your family you could have the watches for them, under MSRP, by Saturday, and hit up a TS (for the DJ36 & EXP2).
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 11:14 AM   #14
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Come to the UK, we can't give them away...
You can if the person asking for it is on a moped.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 11:31 AM   #15
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Several of the Trusted Sellers on here source their watches from Italy and Greece. That should tell you something.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Several of the Trusted Sellers on here source their watches from Italy and Greece. That should tell you something.
It tells you that people have already figured out where the best deals are and cleaned out those watches.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 01:33 PM   #17
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I think you're miscalculating the 'deal' you're supposedly going to find. Prices /exchange rate are not like it used to be. Let me give you an example on the BLNR (although I will go ahead and guarantee you that this isn't going to happen):

BLNR in the US is $8950

That German price is of course inclusive of VAT, but you don't get it all back. Let's say you get 14% back when you claim your refund (and honestly, you'll be lucky to get that). This equates to $1340. Your purchase price on the BLNR was now $8220. Now add let's say 3% for when you claim it on return to the US. Your total purchase price when it was all said in done was $8466. Is this really worth the investment/hassle over $500).
You’re forgetting about sales tax in the U.S. That would be 10% where I am, so another $895 savings.
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:39 PM   #18
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

I just heard of somebody buying a Cameron Deep Sea at the duty free in Schiphol airport in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. It’s all about being in the right place at the right time
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:49 PM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

why don't you ask a seller located in the EU and have whatever you want waiting when you arrive? i'm sure theres a French or Czech Takuya or DSW doing their thing over there.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 05:32 PM   #20
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexComplex View Post
You’re forgetting about sales tax in the U.S. That would be 10% where I am, so another $895 savings.
Who buys a Rolex in the states and pays sales tax?
Old 14 June 2018, 05:32 PM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
why don't you ask a seller located in the EU and have whatever you want waiting when you arrive? i'm sure theres a French or Czech Takuya or DSW doing their thing over there.
They’re practically all on Chrono24
Old 14 June 2018, 05:43 PM   #22
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Spain.. And they ship to you, and most of them makes some sort of VAT hustle... haha..
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 07:50 PM   #23
Banks
"TRF" Member

I’m in Vienna at the moment, 3 stores stocking Rolex.

In terms of SS sports they have Explorers and Milgauss but that’s it.

One of the stores had a Sub C, Sub C Date and BLNR to try on but not for sale. Wait lists of months to years, similiar to most large European cities.

Decent bi metal and full gold stock. Plenty of YMII, new WG BLRO, YG Daytonas.

Best places for Rolex are usually less popular holiday destinations like Eastern Europe. That’s where a lot of grey stock emenates from.
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:08 PM   #24
lamkinpark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN | 124300
I went Budapest n Prague last 2 week ago. None ss sub or gmt can be seen. Saw 1 new WG blro in Prague AD and new tt rootbear in Budapest. As usual, they only got explorer 1 n 2,milgauss,etc.
lamkinpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:13 PM   #25
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Question is how many watches will American customs let you bring in?
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:40 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
I’m in Vienna at the moment, 3 stores stocking Rolex.

In terms of SS sports they have Explorers and Milgauss but that’s it.

One of the stores had a Sub C, Sub C Date and BLNR to try on but not for sale. Wait lists of months to years, similiar to most large European cities.

Decent bi metal and full gold stock. Plenty of YMII, new WG BLRO, YG Daytonas.

Best places for Rolex are usually less popular holiday destinations like Eastern Europe. That’s where a lot of grey stock emenates from.
So weird how these oldies have now become demo models. For bundling only.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 09:03 PM   #27
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol1 View Post
Popular models are here in Europe also very hard to find. Sub's, Daytona's, Sea Dwellers, GMT's..., waiting lists are even closed. One of the options could be https://www.chrono24.co.uk/?gclid=Cj...GB&SETCURR=EUR

Good luck!
The OP was asking about AD's and you direct him straigh to grey sellers?
Is your store one of the top hits when you look for Rolexes on that web site?
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 09:57 PM   #28
af_schulten
"TRF" Member

Watch: '62 Constellation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

BLNR in the US is $8950

That German price is of course inclusive of VAT, but you don't get it all back. Let's say you get 14% back when you claim your refund (and honestly, you'll be lucky to get that). This equates to $1340. Your purchase price on the BLNR was now $8220. Now add let's say 3% for when you claim it on return to the US. Your total purchase price when it was all said in done was $8466. Is this really worth the investment/hassle over $500?

Not to mention, a watch like the DJ36 and Polar EXP2? Those can EASILY be bought below MSRP for a WAY better deal in the states. You could contact any grey right now and get a deal on both of those watches. You're not getting a discount walking into a European AD, not speaking the mother tongue and asking for a discount, just being honest.

I suggest you reevaluate this, especially when it's not even for you. Tell your family you could have the watches for them, under MSRP, by Saturday, and hit up a TS (for the DJ36 & EXP2).
You'd be better off coming to Canada (if you can find an AD with the stock of what you want willing to sell it to you). I just ordered a BLNR (still awaiting delivery) and can tell you it cost $11,526 CAD after Canadian tax in Ontario. Based upon today's conversion that amounts to $8884.71 USD. Factor that cost on top of the cost of a trip to Canada and it may or may not be worth travelling to buy your BLNR.
af_schulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 01:19 AM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
Germany is a good place for watch shopping
True, but the AD's look shocked when you offer them a price
Old 15 June 2018, 04:37 AM   #30
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
True, but the AD's look shocked when you offer them a price
EU AD's don't give a discount off the official Rolex price, in particular for popular models such as Datejust II, Submariner, GMT Master II, Daytona...
This afternoon I phoned an AD in Nice and one in Monaco as I go on holiday to southern France. No Daytona's, no SD43, no Submariners with or without date.... Even my usual AD in Brussels has closed waiting lists for these models.
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote