The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2018, 07:14 PM   #1
ericsku87
"TRF" Member

Which one? 116523 v Santos

Hi guys,
I’m more of a lurker and rarely post on the forums, and while I have I never understood the point of topics asking other people which watch to buy with one’s own money, now I can see why people ask as I am stuck in quite the dilemma!

I’m in my early 30s and have earned something of a milestone bonus in my career and wanted to celebrate with a new watch. I have had my sights on the new and somewhat hyped 2018 Cartier Santos (two tone) for some time, but while lusting over it I realized that a preowned 116523 (two tone white dial) daytona can be had for not much more. Since I am located in Seoul, where supply/demand dynamics and therefore pricing can be very different from other locations such as the US, I wanted to get some perspective from the forum members in terms of how these watches are being priced.

Based on today’s currency conversion, the Santos is offered at 10k and I can confirm that the price is firm with no room to negotiate. The Daytona is a pre ceramic engraved rehaut version (which I believe dates it to 07/08) with an asking price of 13.7k plus room for negotiation, although I do not expect any large discounts to happen. In the grand scheme of things the price differential is negligible as I am already paying over 10k for a watch but would like to know how the forum members abroad perceive the way these two are priced as it will have some effect on my decision. While I would be equally happy with either watch and may end up with both in the long run, my gut feeling tells me that I would be overpaying for the Santos whereas the Daytona seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Also, fwiw, I currently own a 116234(DJ36 Blue Roman) and a 114060(SubC ND), if that matters.
ericsku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:16 PM   #2
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
116528 white dial.

No half measures!
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:22 PM   #3
ericsku87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
116528 white dial.

No half measures!

Thanks. I find both watches to be very attractive and could very well end up with both at some point. I just don’t want to take a bath, whichever I decide to purchase, as I travel abroad quite frequently.
ericsku87 is offline   Reply With Quote