The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 September 2018, 01:02 AM   #1
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
What are your thoughts on adding Tag Heuer Monaco to my collection?

Hi All,

I wanted to get opinions on adding the Tag Heuer Monaco (Calibre 11) to my current collection. My current collection consists of a Patek Philippe 5146 Annual Calendar, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202 Jumbo, Rolex Submariner Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II 16710, and a 1968 Omega Speedmaster Professional Transitional.

I am not a huge fan of Tag Heuer although it was my first forray into "luxury" watches. I have built the collection of iconic watches and feel that the Monaco would fit in nicely as a true icon. I don't have a square/rectangular watch in the collection at the moment and I feel that it would also something unique to the collection.

I also understand that the Monaco wears a little large given the square shape, so if anyone here has the Monaco, I would appreciate any comments on your experience with it in terms of fit and styling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jumbo.jpg (257.5 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Patek.jpg (249.7 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg Pepsi.jpg (276.6 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Speedmaster.jpg (270.8 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg Submariner.jpg (282.7 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Vacheron.jpg (270.8 KB, 536 views)
Old 17 September 2018, 01:12 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

You have a great collection. A vintage Heuer Monaco would fit in nicely, but a modern one not so much IMO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:12 AM   #3
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Nice group of iconic watches. If you want a square or rectangular watch, I would add a JLC Reverso instead. I think it would fit better with your collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:29 AM   #4
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Beautiful collection. I agree with Justindo. Looking at your taste in watches, if you want a rectangular, I would choose something else. Reverso are wonderful. If you like blue, the new Reverso Tribute with blue dial is stunning. The Cartier Tank line has some really beautiful models as well. Tank Anglaise are gorgeous, and the XL is actually quite a large watch as well.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:26 AM   #5
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

agree with comments already made re: reverso.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:17 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
You have a great collection. A vintage Heuer Monaco would fit in nicely, but a modern one not so much IMO.
X2
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 10:32 AM   #7
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the comments guys. The Monaco came up on the radar when my wife happened to see a picture of it, said it was really nice and recommended that I buy it. Now, many of you know very well, the opportunity where your wife gives you "permission" to buy a watch doesn't come along very often so when it does, I feel like I have to jump on it. I would really love to be able to pick up a vintage Monaco (say in my birth year of 1970), but there is a lot of work that needs to go into researching and sourcing a good example in good condition. I spent a lot of time before I ended up getting my Speedy.

Two square/rectangular watches that are on my radar and will be added to the collection are the JLC Reverso and the Patek Philippe Gondolo (white gold/blue dial), but those will be a little further down the line.

Currently, I have 3 dress watches (I consider the Jumbo to be a dress watch) and 3 sports watches and thought the Monaco could be another weekend beater.

I actually haven't had it on the wrist so I think that's the first thing that I should do.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:24 PM   #8
dajiggalo
"TRF" Member

Watch: anything 36mm
...the only opinion that matters is your wife’s (because she can murder you in your sleep)... other than that, buy whatever you want! It’s your money and your wrist!
dajiggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 09:20 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I often try one on but the reflective crystal just puts me off, hard to see the dial, I'm more interested in the grey dial now which has much less.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 10:25 PM   #10
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

I am surprised that I did not suggest the Patek Philippe Gondolo, as I own one myself!
Mine is the yellow gold with opaline dial. It was a grail of mine for years, I just love the case design, and also the fact the movement is made to fit the case, among other attributes:

Old 18 September 2018, 01:15 AM   #11
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I am surprised that I did not suggest the Patek Philippe Gondolo, as I own one myself!
Mine is the yellow gold with opaline dial. It was a grail of mine for years, I just love the case design, and also the fact the movement is made to fit the case, among other attributes:

That’s a beautiful watch. I really love the fit of the Gondolo and is really my favorite rectangular watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #12
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

This JLC Reverso Tribute is my favorite Reverso yet. I am considering it, as having a blue rectangular dress watch in addition to my Gondolo would be a welcome addition to my collection. The good bit about this model is that it is not a limited edition, and comes in stainless steel. Very enchanting dial, and beautiful leather strap.

Old 19 September 2018, 12:46 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post

That's a really beautiful Patek!
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 10:03 AM   #14
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Great collection you have already BTW

I personally love the Monaco and I think it's a great watch to have in any collection and (comparatively) it's a relatively inexpensive watch to get anyways.

You can get the look of a vintage one (very very close) all of the advantages of a new watch (more modern movement, un-scratchable crystal, no need to worry about old seals, etc...) with the following models:

CAW211A (limited edition McQueen anniversary), CAW211B (limited edition brown/grey dial -> my personal pick), CAW211P (not limited and not as nice as CAW211A/B but good enough for most and even cheaper).

Yes, there are other iconic square watches (reverso, tank), but for me the Monaco is _the_ iconic square sports watch that transcend the 'sports watch' label and looks good no matter what you are wearing at the time, and like a Sub or a Speedmaster or an El Primero one of those 'checklist' watches that any watch lover would want to own at least once in their life, again especially given that it is relatively inexpensive and easily available.
RolexWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Nah - your collection doesn't need anything.

Just in case, have you ever thought about adding an indie brand? I wish I were more familiar with them, but seems like a FPJ or Laurent Ferrier could bring a new dynamic.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 03:13 PM   #16
Double Barrel
Banned

i wouldn't do it
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:26 PM   #17
Breigue
"TRF" Member

Looking at your collection, I wouldn’t do it. Monaco wear large and bulky.
Breigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 02:07 AM   #18
Maiden
"TRF" Member

The Monaco is a great iconic watch. Go go for it!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:52 AM   #19
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I have owned one for well over a decade. It’s a timeless classic and fits well in any collection. Many watch snobs May turn their nose up at Tag Heuer, but they continue to innovate and hold an important place in watches. Get one and enjoy
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:48 PM   #20
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Great collection. I would do jlc or a square patek instead

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:47 AM   #21
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I own both a JLC Reverso (triple calendar/moon) and a Monaco (black chrono). They are very different from each other. I don't consider the Monaco a particularly dressy watch. It's relatively think and masculine. It's not an alternative to the Reverso; it's just a different watch altogether.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:19 PM   #22
hkiang1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai/Rolex/AP
I say do it.

When it comes to wristwatches, I try and collect the icons and the Tag Heuer Monaco is an icon; particularly the CAW211B (which is the original Heuer icon), which looks like the vintage 1133B, but w/o the price or fragility of that watch.

Buy what you like, and if you like that watch, get it and you'll also be getting an icon. I don't think you will regret it.
hkiang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 05:56 AM   #23
bkatx
"TRF" Member

Great collection! I wanted a Monaco for a long time, until I tried one on. I found it way too bulky
bkatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 08:24 AM   #24
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
It could work as a “weekend” or casual watch for you. Your two strap watches are on the dressy side and to me a Monaco would work well with jeans.
Otherwise the rest of your collection seems significantly higher end than the Monaco. I’m not sure that during everyday wear that you would ever pick a Monaco over a Patek, AP, Rolex or VC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 10:43 PM   #25
Judahbeats
Banned

I added the Calibre 12 yo my collection and it is definitely worth it. It's beautiful, it stands out, it wears well oh and did I mention it's beautiful. You can wear it with a suit or joggers. Awesome watch .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to get opinions on adding the Tag Heuer Monaco (Calibre 11) to my current collection. My current collection consists of a Patek Philippe 5146 Annual Calendar, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202 Jumbo, Rolex Submariner Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II 16710, and a 1968 Omega Speedmaster Professional Transitional.

I am not a huge fan of Tag Heuer although it was my first forray into "luxury" watches. I have built the collection of iconic watches and feel that the Monaco would fit in nicely as a true icon. I don't have a square/rectangular watch in the collection at the moment and I feel that it would also something unique to the collection.

I also understand that the Monaco wears a little large given the square shape, so if anyone here has the Monaco, I would appreciate any comments on your experience with it in terms of fit and styling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Judahbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 10:50 PM   #26
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
I added a caliber 11 ten days ago and at first was not sure it was a good move until I wore it to a black tie event a few days ago. Wow, it just popped and did so oh so smoothly. It looked much better than my other tags and even left my Rolex 116619 in in the dust with a tuxedo on.

I say go for it, you have a very nice collection and the Caliber 11 will bring a lovely balance to it.

steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 11:26 PM   #27
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but it takes some getting used to when you wear it. Have a friend that moved his as he could never get use to how it wore. With your collection I can not see it getting a lot of wrist time so you will be ok.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 09:06 PM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Great timepiece!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 03:55 AM   #29
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Great watch and iconic- I would try and get one from your birth year that would be a great addition- otherwise great collection that you have already.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 10:11 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judahbeats View Post
I added the Calibre 12 yo my collection and it is definitely worth it. It's beautiful, it stands out, it wears well oh and did I mention it's beautiful. You can wear it with a suit or joggers. Awesome watch .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Congrats love the vibrant dial of the 12, might add one myself for Xmas.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote