The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
AP to consolidate sales channel to direct sales

I guess this has been open secret for a while but now they have made it official I guess.

https://in.reuters.com/article/watch...-idINL5N1VS4IR

Just sharing.
Old 24 September 2018, 03:43 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

we have all seen it coming, however playing that card 3-5 years early and what is a current AD's incentive to push or try to develop the brand in the interim? none

If i was an AD there is no way i would steer my customers to something i wouldn't sell in a few years. What if my customer liked it? Then they would shop elsewhere.

No sense whatsoever... the making it official part, not the overall strategy, but i dont really like that either however i can understand it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 04:23 PM   #3
ragsk
Banned

Agree with that. Why make it official policy 3 to 5 years early? Big retailers probably will align away from AP and push other brands more.

Maybe they all know it’s coming anyway...
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 04:27 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Agree with that. Why make it official policy 3 to 5 years early? Big retailers probably will align away from AP and push other brands more.

thinking its coming and knowing its coming is different. I suspect a lot were worried it might happen, but now they just might abandon ship. AP was making AD specific LE's last year (not sure about this year) so it was some mixed messaging so they probably all didn't know for sure.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 September 2018, 08:24 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
we have all seen it coming, however playing that card 3-5 years early and what is a current AD's incentive to push or try to develop the brand in the interim? none

If i was an AD there is no way i would steer my customers to something i wouldn't sell in a few years. What if my customer liked it? Then they would shop elsewhere.

No sense whatsoever... the making it official part, not the overall strategy, but i dont really like that either however i can understand it.
Contracts come and go, so the motivation for an AD with a current contract is to make hay whilst the sun shines – in other words, profit generation.
It’s for them to steer their existing clientele towards the brands whom they will have renewed contracts with, and there’s absolutely no guarantee that they aren’t already shopping elsewhere for a brand that particular AD doesn’t stock.

You’re tarring others with the same brush as yourself, which is why you’re making more of an issue of it than it is in reality.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 08:37 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't think that it is a good strategy to announce before you are ready.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:14 PM   #7
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
My AD was telling me they had an idea this was coming, because AP hasn’t sent them anything in 2 years almost. It’s a real crap way to treat your distributors
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:00 PM   #8
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

My guess is whatever contracts they have have a notice period if they are going to be canceled (of they have contracts for a fixed term that coincides with 3-5 years). Its not like you can just willy nilly terminate a dealer contract without cause.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:23 AM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
My guess is whatever contracts they have have a notice period if they are going to be canceled (of they have contracts for a fixed term that coincides with 3-5 years). Its not like you can just willy nilly terminate a dealer contract without cause.
Unless the contract says they can.....
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:29 AM   #10
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Unless the contract says they can.....
What am I supposed to read?
Old 25 September 2018, 12:40 AM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What am I supposed to read?

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to read. . I just meant if the contract was written in a way where AP could pull out whenever they wanted, and the AD agrees to that, then they could. And if I'm an AD, I'm not sure I wouldn't agree to such a contract just to carry the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25 September 2018, 12:53 AM   #12
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

I assume AP thinks most of their customers follow the brand. So if your local AD no longer carries AP, you'll still want one and will purchase it some other way. For now this seems a little premature as there are not boutiques local to many people but once they being e-commerce into the picture it won't be a problem at all.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:33 AM   #13
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
This is going to hurt small jewlery stores. AP is a significant brand to have retail rights to. People will lose jobs, not that we care but that will happen.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 02:15 AM   #14
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
All for direct sales. I don’t need a middle person to advise me on a watch purchase. If it means lower cost (Ha, ha), great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 02:17 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD got close to a year notice. Effective December of this year and for all of their locations... London, NY etc. .

They have had AP non prominently displayed since they got notice. They moved them from the front window immediately. Moved them again recently when they started pushing GP.

IMO knowing the end is coming absolutely has an effect on what they decide to sell hard, suggest to clients, etc.
Old 25 September 2018, 02:56 AM   #16
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD got close to a year notice. Effective December of this year and for all of their locations... London, NY etc. .

They have had AP non prominently displayed since they got notice. They moved them from the front window immediately. Moved them again recently when they started pushing GP.

IMO knowing the end is coming absolutely has an effect on what they decide to sell hard, suggest to clients, etc.
This also goes hand in hand with not getting access to pieces that people want to buy. AP won’t allocate the hard to get pieces to someone they are terminating so the AD won’t push very hard to move undesirable pieces. Most ADs saw this coming a mile away.
Old 25 September 2018, 03:25 AM   #17
Mr.WorldTimer
"TRF" Member

The amount of boutique only pieces they have... it was only a matter of time. After I read about this, I went looking for Patek's standpoint on this issue and I think they have a good point AP is glossing over. AD's know their local market better than any company based in Swiss ever will. Not only do they know how to deal with their community but have also built up a stronger customer base over many years. The one good thing AP have implemented with this new change is the registration system to extend warranty. At least this way, it does not matter where you shop so much (at least comparatively to before), because all your purchases are registered on a centralised system.
Mr.WorldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:24 AM   #18
ragsk
Banned

Quote:

I know who you are referring too. They don’t have AP watches displayed anywhere now I don’t think. About 4 months ago they only had 3 on display in an obscure corner before you go inside but it is not a front of shop window location. I think they have known for a while that this was coming. They however do push Patek and Rolex the most and likely always did. They are a great prestigious dealer.

The flip side is that certainly the London branch is about 30 steps away from the AP lounge. So I don’t think AP need them given locations so it was a logical one to cull.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:49 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know who you are referring too. They don’t have AP watches displayed anywhere now I don’t think. About 4 months ago they only had 3 on display in an obscure corner before you go inside but it is not a front of shop window location. I think they have known for a while that this was coming. They however do push Patek and Rolex the most and likely always did. They are a great prestigious dealer.

The flip side is that certainly the London branch is about 30 steps away from the AP lounge. So I don’t think AP need them given locations so it was a logical one to cull.
yeah. Not making a judgement on AP's business decision, just that in the interim it gets a bit weird. AD's giving up isnt good for anyone.

I always know what i want to buy but most dont. I remember the JLC my wife has was suggested to her by my AD. He pushed it, she liked it, and she bought it. I know nothing about women's watches so i wasn't much help. Its a great watch, but she didn't discover it by herself. To me thats how most sales probably go down, and what brand is getting pushed does matter.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:29 AM   #20
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Would it hurt resale value too?? I guess might be more easy to aquire the piece you'd like than?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Old 25 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #22
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Wont this be the only brand to go with out AD's? No other watch brand does this currently.

AND.....there is no way AP is going to have as many locations as there are AD's

How can this be a good thing for visibility and accessibility?

I guess I shouldnt second guess AP, they probably know a thing or two more then I do on this...LOL
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:17 AM   #23
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I'm disappointed with AP and RM on this move. ADs are the ones that helped them get where they are. Greed is going to kill these brands. Like Stephen Covey said: balance between Production and Production Capacity is a winning formula. AP is killing the production capacity. I for one started buying more Patek and Rolex more recently. Relationship with my AD is more important than one brand. Not looking to add any AP or RM at this point.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:18 AM   #24
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Wont this be the only brand to go with out AD's? No other watch brand does this currently.

I guess I shouldnt second guess AP, they probably know a thing or two more then I do on this...LOL
I am somewhat surprised that they aren’t taking a dual approach - lounges/boutiques for major markets where there are a concentration of customers and ADs to promote the brand in locations/counties without sufficient critical mass of clients for a boutique. For example, will Canada or Australia have a boutique, or will clients there need to fly to NY/LA or Singapore - and have the “fun” of dealing with customs clearance for any pieces they buy when they head home.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:56 AM   #25
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Not sure whether this is a good way for AP to move forward. People build relationship with AD because they carry a variety of brands, and having a relationship would enable them access to all the popular models of these brands, particularly Rolex and Patek.

I get that some people only like AP, but most people I know enjoy multiple watch brands. I find it tiresome to build relationship across different watch boutiques if that is the way forward (I think and hope not).
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:57 AM   #26
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

Inquired to my AD on this, curious how it’ll affect my incoming piece.
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 11:59 AM   #27
Mr.WorldTimer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Not sure whether this is a good way for AP to move forward. People build relationship with AD because they carry a variety of brands, and having a relationship would enable them access to all the popular models of these brands, particularly Rolex and Patek.

I get that some people only like AP, but most people I know enjoy multiple watch brands. I find it tiresome to build relationship across different watch boutiques if that is the way forward (I think and hope not).
Half of AP's catalogue are boutique only anyway. Does it make such a massive difference for serious collectors of AP? Anyone really getting into AP probably have blue dial RO dreams. I understand a lot of the more passive collectors get burnt, and those who chose AD over boutique before everything started becoming boutique only. (FYI I think this is a bad move but I'm not convinced it will seriously affect the brand).
Old 25 September 2018, 12:02 PM   #28
Mr.WorldTimer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post

Mr. Stern said something very interesting on his approach to AD's vs boutique only. He argues that AD's have spent years forging strong connections with their local community. They understand their environment better than any multi-national company ever would. I am inclined to follow his POV. So needless to say Patek will not be following suit, at least anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 25 September 2018, 12:03 PM   #29
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
What’s worse telling ADs that AP is going direct or Rolex mandating that large ADs build out mini boutiques in their stores to keep AD status? Then pulling AD status from surrounding stores that didn’t want to spend the $$$.

I don’t mind APs strategy but I don’t like you have to basically start over with your purchase status. I do like the value retention and when AP gets into the secondary market I would much prefer buying used pieces from them.

I also think ADs are less necessary with the rise of social media and online advertising. I’m sure many of us have purchased watches over the internet. If AP can create a premium online experience while also having boutiques, lounges and events then they will be successful. AP didn’t have any traction in my local area 10 years ago. With the rise of social media they are now very popular not because of the 1 AD we had that never had the good APs.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:38 PM   #30
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

What if there is no boutique in your area? Have to travel to buy one? Alternative is you are relegated to grays, no? Here in the DC area, we only had one AD who carried AP and no longer does. So is the plan to open more boutiques?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro