The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2018, 10:39 PM   #31
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
That's a tough one.
The LVC is more unique and can be a daily wearer (first hand experience) but it's a trade I could justify. Both are fantastic but I give the edge to the SD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:52 PM   #32
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
Those pics…
great pic
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:58 PM   #33
Yodel
Banned

The hulk is special. I would not sell it
Yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:07 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned the Hulk multiple times and really like it. In a multi watch collection it does have a place. I have never sold the Hulk because it did not work or was not beautiful to me but because the resell value is so high. I believe the Hulk is sitting on a bubble for cost both in the new watch market and the pre-owned market. At the point that the market reverses itself and supply is available the value of the Hulk will first slip and then drop like a rock as Grey Dealers try to unload them before they take a bath. Then you will not be able to move one unless you are willing to take a beating. On the money end, take your best deal and move. I did, and while I miss the Hulk I will buy it back when the market goes sub retail for the watch. The SD43, for me, is the ultimate Rolex Diver. It is the right size for my 7.5-7.75 inch wrist. I like the size, case, bezel, dial, red text and even the cyclops. It is the Submariner I always wanted in a larger size. Although I know it is a Sea-Dweller. What I have found when I try watches on at AD's is the sizing. Both with the DSSD and the SD43 I think a lot of people find them unwearable because they are not appropriately sized. Once sized the SD43 works great. I would do the trade and enjoy the SD43. Wait a bit and see if you want to go back to a Hulk and if you do add it back once prices correct. You will not be happy when you lose 2K in value on your current Hulk for a trade and it is coming. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:16 PM   #35
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned the Hulk multiple times and really like it. In a multi watch collection it does have a place. I have never sold the Hulk because it did not work or was not beautiful to me but because the resell value is so high. I believe the Hulk is sitting on a bubble for cost both in the new watch market and the pre-owned market. At the point that the market reverses itself and supply is available the value of the Hulk will first slip and then drop like a rock as Grey Dealers try to unload them before they take a bath. Then you will not be able to move one unless you are willing to take a beating. On the money end, take your best deal and move. I did, and while I miss the Hulk I will buy it back when the market goes sub retail for the watch. The SD43, for me, is the ultimate Rolex Diver. It is the right size for my 7.5-7.75 inch wrist. I like the size, case, bezel, dial, red text and even the cyclops. It is the Submariner I always wanted in a larger size. Although I know it is a Sea-Dweller. What I have found when I try watches on at AD's is the sizing. Both with the DSSD and the SD43 I think a lot of people find them unwearable because they are not appropriately sized. Once sized the SD43 works great. I would do the trade and enjoy the SD43. Wait a bit and see if you want to go back to a Hulk and if you do add it back once prices correct. You will not be happy when you lose 2K in value on your current Hulk for a trade and it is coming. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Wonderful feedback, thank you
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:20 PM   #36
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Love the Hulk in pics, in display cases, etc. but I think for many the honeymoon phase wears off and you realize you have a GREEN watch. Nothing against green, but the color by it's nature is going to limit the situations in which you can wear it. Black divers are classic and can be worn in any and all situations. Long term I think you'll be happier with the SD43 provided you are the wrist for it. Works best for folks >7" wrists. Smaller than that the Sub is probably the better choice.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:23 PM   #37
greanie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

On the other hand . . . If it gets retired in 2019 (obviously speculation!) what happens to your scenario? Do you pay way above retail at that point to acquire, or do you pass on it?

No one has a crystal ball, and Rolex isn’t telling anyone anything. So any thoughts on an unload because it’s at an all time high on price . . . May possibly be unfounded advice (or actually is).
Just my opinion!!! And I have an LVc, that I’m considering selling because it’s at a high resell value currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:25 PM   #38
harvey
"TRF" Member

I have both references. I would make the move.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:40 PM   #39
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
Keep the HLK, its not my daily daily wearer, but its close.
Its simply very unique and individual, and you will not find a piece like this in any line.
My feelings exactly - keep the hulk.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:55 PM   #40
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Keep the green
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:24 AM   #41
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I would do that deal. The 126600 is pure Rolex diver and a fantastic watch to wear.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:24 AM   #42
Bluepilot15
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710A
Have you tried the SD43? It’s not the diameter that makes it a big watch, it’s the thickness. I owned one and thought it wore far too heavy. I don’t subscribe to the “It wears just like a sub” crowd. It’s absolutely beautiful, but if you don’t think it’s comfortable there’s no point in trading. I’m not saying you won’t love it, I’m just saying make sure you love it before you trade. There’s a lot of folks who owned this piece for only a few months, because they didn’t like the fit. For the record I have 7.5” wrists and took the divers extension out. Good luck!
Bluepilot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:38 AM   #43
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Welp, just went and tried it on. It’s a beautiful watch, there is no doubt about it - but it didn’t sing to me, unfortunately.

The 43mm is great size lug to lug, but it wears bulkier than I had hoped.

I’ll revisit in a few weeks if I can’t get it out of my head, but for now - I remain a loyal Hulk enthusiast!

Thanks all for the words of wisdom
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:42 AM   #44
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjb View Post
Welp, just went and tried it on. It’s a beautiful watch, there is no doubt about it - but it didn’t sing to me, unfortunately.

I’ll revisit in a few weeks if I can’t get it out of my head, but for now - I remain a loyal Hulk enthusiast!

Based on your avatar I was thinking the same thing - might wear a little large on you. You might consider flipping the Hulk for a standard black Sub if you are unsure on the green and pocketing a nice profit at the same time.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:48 AM   #45
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

That's the beauty of trying before buying. You probably just saved yourself a lot of money and heartache.

I will say, however, that it's difficult to get a feel for how the thing really wears until it's been properly sized. With a half link, glide lock, and divers extension either in or out, it can be fitted for an extremely comfortable wearing experience. And...this is just my personal preference, I love the thicker bracelet.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:53 AM   #46
Bobby T
Banned

That's a no-brainer..........never understood why someone would want a green watch but that's just me............Enjoy!!!!!
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:10 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I like bigger watches and wear them just fine. That 42mm-45mm is my butter zone that looks good on me. On paper the new Sub-C wasn’t that inspiring especially coming from a five digit Sub that looked small in my collection. Where the magic happens with the Ceramic Submariner is on the wrist. The watch looks and wears like a 42mm watch. It just does but has the comfort of a 40mm. This is why my LVc can be worn on long 2200 mile family road trips to Disney World. My wrist never felt tired or did I wish I would have brought multiple watches. Here is a watch that was comfortable and looked amazing in theme parks, water parks, high end resort hotel, and trapped in a car for 2200 miles. I can tell you those are battle conditions for any watch. FYI..not one scratch on my Hulk from vacation.

Old 10 October 2018, 01:18 AM   #48
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Unless you need the specs of the SD43 (and i doubt you do ) , keep the LV. There's no beauty contest between them.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:20 AM   #49
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Do it! Never liked the Hulk. Love my SD43
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #50
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
I will keep the Hulk. Its a keeper.
Might even go up in value if discontinue :)
Old 10 October 2018, 01:54 AM   #51
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Your LVc club card is safe. Tonight’s meeting coolaid flavor is cherry

Old 10 October 2018, 02:00 AM   #52
Rbrand
Banned

Keeping the Hulk would be a lot better
Rbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:03 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
On beautiful sunny days, like today, the LVc can't be beat, I took the long walk home today just so I could enjoy it for longer, so has health benefits too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #54
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Good call. If you don't feel it, don't do it

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:33 AM   #55
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
On beautiful sunny days, like today, the LVc can't be beat, I took the long walk home today just so I could enjoy it for longer, so has health benefits too.
A nice walk is always welcomed...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:37 AM   #56
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Your LVc club card is safe. Tonight’s meeting coolaid flavor is cherry

The coolaid is green apple. Always green apple....

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:55 AM   #57
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I would keep the hulk

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:04 AM   #58
shalako
"TRF" Member

The Hulk is the hot watch right now so the herd will gravitate towards it due to this current ‘investment Rolex buying trend’ but IMHO the SD43 (and the SD4K for that matter) are much nicer. Like many have said it’s easy to get fed up with the Green.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:19 AM   #59
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I'd personally keep the hulk, but if the larger size is more attractive then its an obvious move right?
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:22 AM   #60
joejoe1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Great Move!!!