The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 October 2018, 06:05 AM   #1
Farris
"TRF" Member

Breguet 3795 Perpetual Calendar Tourbillion VS ALS Datograph Perpetual

Ok, so I was considering saying bye to my Patek 5980R (Brown croc strap) for something different. I never really use chronographs and I find perpetual calendars more useful.

I have little knowledge of high end watches, which will appreciate and which can be had for great deals second hand. Luckily my Patek has gone up so I thought about putting a little on top to get something that really excited me.

I was considering upgrading to the ALS Datograph Perpetual as I read here some good deals can be had on lightly used models putting not too huge a gap between my Patek and it. The finish and complications of the watch are so superior, it makes it hard to resist. I watched a video about it on YouTube and then clicked a link for a Breguet I never heard of... the 3795.

I think this Breguet is the sexiest watch I have ever laid my eyes on.

Can anyone confirm what sort of price a new 3795 and a well looked after used one can be had for if I go on a proper hunt for a deal? Someone please tell me these drop like a stone on the secondhand market. I am sure it is not in the realm of the ALS Datograph Perpetual (I found one around £60k) but I have to ask.

ALS:
https://youtu.be/VmKAMvwB4yc

Breguet (aka Skeletor Tourbillion)
https://youtu.be/uQNqSMXbEW0

Thank you guys and if there are some other pieces that i should look at please let me know. These pieces are the most amazing blend of art and engineering.
Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:42 AM   #2
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris View Post
Ok, so I was considering saying bye to my Patek 5980R (Brown croc strap) for something different. I never really use chronographs and I find perpetual calendars more useful.

I have little knowledge of high end watches, which will appreciate and which can be had for great deals second hand. Luckily my Patek has gone up so I thought about putting a little on top to get something that really excited me.

I was considering upgrading to the ALS Datograph Perpetual as I read here some good deals can be had on lightly used models putting not too huge a gap between my Patek and it. The finish and complications of the watch are so superior, it makes it hard to resist. I watched a video about it on YouTube and then clicked a link for a Breguet I never heard of... the 3795.

I think this Breguet is the sexiest watch I have ever laid my eyes on.

Can anyone confirm what sort of price a new 3795 and a well looked after used one can be had for if I go on a proper hunt for a deal? Someone please tell me these drop like a stone on the secondhand market. I am sure it is not in the realm of the ALS Datograph Perpetual (I found one around £60k) but I have to ask.

ALS:
https://youtu.be/VmKAMvwB4yc

Breguet (aka Skeletor Tourbillion)
https://youtu.be/uQNqSMXbEW0

Thank you guys and if there are some other pieces that i should look at please let me know. These pieces are the most amazing blend of art and engineering.
I love Lange but......diff6level of timepieces here....I am with the Breguet all the way...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:49 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Both the ALS and Breguet are incredible watches however, Leaving Patek for either of these brands is a money pit.
Old 15 October 2018, 07:33 AM   #4
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Wow that Breguet is amazing - I would go with that if you can get a good deal pre owned (also check service cost) and not overly concerned with value retention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 12:16 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Breguet generally drops more than Lange on the secondary market. Both make great watches but Lange's finishing is certainly superior. I think you need to decide which watch you like better and if you want a chronograph (the finest made, in my opinion) or a tourbilion.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:41 PM   #6
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches but the Breguet is a lot rarer and will be more difficult to source. Have you seen the 3797 (the non skeleton version)?

If we're talking just these 2 models... in my opinion you lose more $ off original retail on the ALS and that's purely because there are more around and available on the secondary market, so you can negotiate a lot harder. Both are great buys on the secondary market (40-50% off original retail), it'll just take you a lot longer to find the Breguet.
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:56 PM   #7
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The Breguet has the nasty odd shaped ring inside the bezel where they put their name. I think it ruins the watch. Apart from that it is an awesome watch. Was just looking at it this lunchtime.
Old 16 October 2018, 02:28 AM   #8
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the Lange in this situation
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 03:22 AM   #9
fewwords
Banned

Since the Breguet is around 175k in second market why don't you take a Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon at around 200k? Probably the best chronograph and perpetual calendar watch out there.
fewwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Farris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewwords View Post
Since the Breguet is around 175k in second market why don't you take a Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon at around 200k? Probably the best chronograph and perpetual calendar watch out there.
How much is the Breguet new? I assumed new it would be around 175k.

I need to put in a call to a dealer and find out.
Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 08:35 PM   #11
fewwords
Banned

250k in platinum, 200k in any gold version iirc.
Datograph PT was new around 300k.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:07 AM   #12
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Above my pay grade these days....beautiful timepieces

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 12:14 AM   #13
fewwords
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewwords View Post
250k in platinum, 200k in any gold version iirc.
Datograph PT was new around 300k.
Correction on the Breguet 3795 in gold. It’s 235k new.
Old 22 October 2018, 12:38 PM   #14
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Hi there!

Here are my thoughts, I hope they guide you well. :)

Both brands are incredible, but offer something very different. Breguet is well-known for their aesthetics, especially their dial work. A. Lange & Sohne is regarded for their engineering and machining of their movements.

I've no doubt that you'll be satisfied with either watch, but I think you should ask yourself, what aspects are more important to you?

The Breguet offers incredible aesthetics, but its legibility is limited (as is typical of many skeletonized dials.) The AL&S is purposely understated in its looks and offers, arguably, a nicer movement (whether you opt for the tourbillon or not.)

If you don't mind me asking, I have a couple questions:
1. What do you do? Professionally, hobbies, interests, etc.
2. What else do you have in your collection?

Luxury watches are very much an art and an expression of oneself. I think it's worth examining how either of these fit your character as well as the ground they cover in your collection; if you already own something that covers a similar ground, you'll only end up limiting your use for both pieces.

That's my objective opinion. Here are my own personal preferences:

Goodness, I can only dream of affording these. My first Lange will likely be 'just a plain jane' 1815 in a year or two. Grail is the 1815 Chronograph.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Breguet Type XXI a couple weeks back though.

Personally, I would go with the AL&S. I find that chronographs offer great utility (I use mine regularly) and the style just better suits my physique. I love Breguet in general, but this one is a bit too loud for my taste (which is funny, because I do enjoy the Tradition series.) I would likely go with a Marine though.

But it's not about me, it's about you.

A friend of mine has a simple test for when he's torn between two watches. I like it a lot, and he actually just used it to buy something. He's been very happy with the results, no regrets at all. I think I'll leave it here as my closing remark:

Imagine you can only buy one of these watches, so you go with Option A (let's say AL&S.) How likely are you to continue thinking about the Breguet after you buy the AL&S?

Now think of the same scenario, only the other way around. Whichever one has you thinking less about the other... is the one you ought to go with.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Stargazer735 is offline   Reply With Quote