The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 08:16 AM   #1
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Why do folks like Daytona?

I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price. Some are going to get angry at my question but I’m just curious what the draw is. I’m a huge fan of subs and gmt, other than those two nothing sings to me.

A date function is very appealing to me so perhaps that’s one significant reason the Daytona doesn’t appeal to me.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:18 AM   #2
BlackSub$
"TRF" Member

Personal taste. Just like some don’t like subs or gmts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackSub$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:19 AM   #3
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Some likes beer, others likes seltzer
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:20 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
'cause they are magic watches..
Old 22 October 2018, 08:21 AM   #5
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Why do folks like Daytona?

Well...history...pedigree...popularity and just plain appreciation are just a few things. The fact that the modern references have always come along with bit elusive exclusivity....it is a great reference overall.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:22 AM   #6
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSub$ View Post
Personal taste. Just like some don’t like subs or gmts.

I understand. Just curious to hear why in more detail. Just wonder if some or most like them because they are currently hyped.
Old 22 October 2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

All personal preference. Just like some think the 6 digit are horrible and love the 5 digits. Or some hate the DJ, etc. etc. It's a great watch to me, but not at hyped prices.

I've always like chronos, and it's the only modern chrono Rolex has. When I bought mine I was really going back and forth between a Daytona and a VC Overseas Chrono.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:27 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

It's currently the thinnest/smallest integrated in-house chronograph with a vertical clutch and column wheel and fewest parts (203 in the 4130). Most chronos have modules, more parts or lack a VC/CM. Even an AP chrono uses a Dufour module and isn't truly in-house.

The updated ceramic bezel completes the package for me. I never liked the stainless bezels. Now I just need to find one at retail.

Hype be damned. I actually like the Daytona for what it is.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:28 AM   #9
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19

For me and even though a few say it wears small, I felt like that guy on the movie where he carries a big stick..

For me The Daytona wears perfectly and it really feels more comfortable to me. It is the major reason I went from the Sub 116619 to the Daytona 116505 and the YachtMaster series as well

No offense taken. I bet if someone would give you a $41,600 Daytona and said if you wear it you could have it free of charge you wouldn’t turn it down...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:29 AM   #10
MinMay
Banned

Why do people like subs or GMT? :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:31 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price. Some are going to get angry at my question but I’m just curious what the draw is. I’m a huge fan of subs and gmt, other than those two nothing sings to me.
People like what they like.

I like the Daytona because it is comfortable, perfect size for my wrist, has a useful complication and I enjoy owning and wearing it,

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:33 AM   #12
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
For me and even though a few say it wears small, I felt like that guy on the movie where he carries a big stick..

For me The Daytona wears perfectly and it really feels more comfortable to me. It is the major reason I went from the Sub 116619 to the Daytona 116505 and the YachtMaster series as well

No offense taken. I bet if someone would give you a $41,600 Daytona and said if you wear it you could have it free of charge you wouldn’t turn it down...
Thanks for your response! Given your scenario I’d definitely try it on but I’m not drawn to Daytona. I’d love to add a BLRO someday but zero chance I’ll pay more than MSRP plus tax. If I never get a BLRO I’ll also be just fine.
Old 22 October 2018, 08:38 AM   #13
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

It's a different Rolex piece with solid heritage. Owned a LVc and GMT2 and felt like I owned 2 of the same thing. But owning Daytona + Sub is 2 completely different pieces.

I need to find these singing and talking watches people keep mentioning! None of my watches has ever communicated anything to me except the tine.
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:40 AM   #14
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Your in the same boat as me man. I dont like the Daytona in any shape or form.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:43 AM   #15
Bimmy
"TRF" Member

It’s a beautiful watch of course, but it’s not for me. I always think of it as an old dude’s sports watch just due to my experience with it.
Bimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:51 AM   #16
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
There of course is no single reason why some people like the Daytona, for one person it might be because of the hype, for another it my be the appearance or another person likes it because it's a chronograph.

For me, I never paid much attention to it before the ceramic bezel and more panda look with the new sub-dials colors. I liked it the moment I saw the pictures of the white dial ceramic.

I've owned mine for about 5 months now and will share that continues to grow on me. It's a great looking watch in my opinion, but if you don't like it, no harm, plenty of other watches or Rolexes to like.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:01 AM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
Some likes beer, others likes seltzer

Yeah. Why does anyone like anything? Why do others like other things?

Old 22 October 2018, 09:04 AM   #18
Why1504
"TRF" Member

I LOVE the way the Daytona looks.

But, I find Chrono’s difficult to use as a watch due to the busy dial.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:09 AM   #19
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Super comfortable watch, looks great in stainless or precious metal guise, durable, can go on for a while with accolades. I've had two 116520 models and a SS/18KT 116523, but switched to a yellow gold 116508 this year. It is one of my favorites to wear.

I don't buy the hyped up stainless steel aura, though. I wouldn't pay over MSRP for one. For some of the prices I've been seeing for stainless steel version, I'd be shopping in the AP RO Chronograph bracket.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:14 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's a nice enough watch, but I don't really need/want another chrono. That itch was scratched by the SMP, at a fraction of current Daytona prices.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:24 AM   #21
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
If you look at the history of the watch, rarity/brand recognition/investment come to mind.

Daytona's movement is great. The watch is comfortable. The MSRP is okay given the competition. But the stark reality is that Daytona allure is having one of the most desired watches on the planet. Neuroscientists and marketers love that stuff--there is a whole field dedicated to understanding luxury markets and growth of luxury businesses. Rarity, prestige, and other elements linked to emotional attachment are the primary drivers. (Will let you look up studies on this subject on your own, but if you observed the recent SS "shortage," you get the point.)

Basically, everyone with a bit of savings can get a Submariner (as evidenced by major metro areas). But it takes some effort to get a Daytona unless you're willing to pay over MSRP or jump through many hoops. Interestingly enough, this is the same model/lineage that was not popular at the beginning.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:24 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a chronograph watch and it looks great, are my two guesses.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:28 AM   #23
Walts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand. Just curious to hear why in more detail. Just wonder if some or most like them because they are currently hyped.
The "hype " on the Daytona is not current . It has been that way for the stainless model for at least the last twenty years.
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:36 AM   #24
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Chronos don't really do it for me either......right now. I wasn't a Hulk guy either until I tried one on. I think doing some research on them may increase an appreciation for the watch. For me, I purchased a SMP simply on the fact that it's an icon. I thought it would grow on me, but no such luck. I sold it within three months. My guess is if I really put in the effort to learn more about the Daytona, I'd likely have one within 6 months.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:43 AM   #25
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Like the Tudor Chrono better than the Rolex Daytona. Yes I have both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona BMW copy.jpg (181.7 KB, 3147 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor 26th copy.jpg (114.2 KB, 3156 views)
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:54 AM   #26
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Superb movement. The most useful complication (for me; may or may not be true for you). Perfect size (same disclaimer). Dresses up or down as well as anything out there. Wear anywhere, from the desert to the ocean to the city. Feels great on the wrist. And yeah, I'll admit, a bit of a snob factor, especially if you bought it it retail price from an AD.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:55 AM   #27
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I like professional series Rolex watches. I have subs and GMTs. I also like motor sports. When the ceramic SS Daytona was released, the black one appealed to me. I enjoy wearing it, nothing more profound or deep than that.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Racing Heritage.....I also wish it had a date function but it is the only chrono and only Rolex with out a date that I lust after.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:02 AM   #29
doubleclass
Banned

I think it has to do with History, popularity and Taste (personal preference).
doubleclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:03 AM   #30
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
It's currently the thinnest/smallest integrated in-house chronograph with a vertical clutch and column wheel and fewest parts (203 in the 4130). Most chronos have modules, more parts or lack a VC/CM. Even an AP chrono uses a Dufour module and isn't truly in-house.

The updated ceramic bezel completes the package for me. I never liked the stainless bezels. Now I just need to find one at retail.

Hype be damned. I actually like the Daytona for what it is.
I am very glad that I read through this thread, and saw your post. Having known relatively little about the movement, the facts you mention certainly give me a better understanding of why lots of folks, like yourself, love the watch. It goes for a lot of watches IMO, that even if you are not crazy about the aesthetics at first, you do get a better appreciation of the watch after learning more about mechanical details.

Last night, I saw one in real life. First one in a long time. The gentleman who was wearing it, was good enough to let me take a closer look at it and try it on. Must admit, I was more impressed when I saw how well it wears on the wrist, and the small size.

While it is not a watch that I would be acquiring for myself, I do now have greater appreciation for the model. And that is one thing these forums are great for!

Cheers,
Carl