The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2016, 05:26 AM   #3871
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollthedice View Post
18 y/o, internet entrepreneur
blnr, ym ii ss, yg skydweller bracelet silver dial :)
Wow, congrats.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2016, 12:17 PM   #3872
Dr. Prunesquallor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Prunesquallor View Post
NASA Blue
Should have been more specific. Aerospace engineer with NASA for 32 years. Retired three years ago and celebrated by getting myself a Breitling Navi 01. Started my own consulting company. Paid off the mortgage and celebrated by getting myself an Omega SM300 MC. Just turned 60 and celebrated by getting myself the BLNR.

I suspect I have run out of things to celebrate.
Dr. Prunesquallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2016, 04:02 PM   #3873
ManlyJewelry
"TRF" Member

A TRF member has a built in reason to ask this I guess. In the scheme of things however, if one were to be real honest, the intent behind the question has a few layers, some of which: how can you afford a Rolex? why do you deserve to flaunt a certain image? were you born privileged or did you earn it? How do you stack up to me when I compare what you do for a living versus what I do, or some other variation of social status and pecking order. It is not enough to own a symbol of certain wealth/success, it is about evaluating where one actually stands.

I was complemented the other day at the poker table by someone who told me it was a nice watch, and asked to see what kind it was. I held my wrist out and he gushed over it for a second then immediately asked what I did for a living.

I get the curiosity in terms of taking a census or inventory of what people generally do for a living to be in the TRF club (kind of). In the wild, I don't see what wearing a Rolex and your profession has to do with anything.

Maybe you payed cash from saving up, maybe you are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to present an image or maybe you have a high income and have the disposable income to buy something you really like. I suggest the true meaning behind this question has more to do with the person asking than it does about the person wearing the watch. Forgive me, but who really cares?

I recently bought a shiny new 114060 from an AD for cash while on vacation. I am in sales for a global financial software technology & services company.
ManlyJewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2016, 04:23 PM   #3874
3130by1213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyJewelry View Post
A TRF member has a built in reason to ask this I guess. In the scheme of things however, if one were to be real honest, the intent behind the question has a few layers, some of which: how can you afford a Rolex? why do you deserve to flaunt a certain image? were you born privileged or did you earn it? How do you stack up to me when I compare what you do for a living versus what I do, or some other variation of social status and pecking order. It is not enough to own a symbol of certain wealth/success, it is about evaluating where one actually stands.

I was complemented the other day at the poker table by someone who told me it was a nice watch, and asked to see what kind it was. I held my wrist out and he gushed over it for a second then immediately asked what I did for a living.

I get the curiosity in terms of taking a census or inventory of what people generally do for a living to be in the TRF club (kind of). In the wild, I don't see what wearing a Rolex and your profession has to do with anything.

Maybe you payed cash from saving up, maybe you are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to present an image or maybe you have a high income and have the disposable income to buy something you really like. I suggest the true meaning behind this question has more to do with the person asking than it does about the person wearing the watch. Forgive me, but who really cares?

I recently bought a shiny new 114060 from an AD for cash while on vacation. I am in sales for a global financial software technology & services company.
Reading this thread motivates me to bust my butt so I can eventually get my first Rolex. And it's interesting to see what everyone else does for a living. The whole "post your watch" thing is just the carrot that people to talk about their professions.
3130by1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 11:51 AM   #3875
AK1984
Banned

Quote:

Its a Rolex.
Many people can afford one. Not a big deal to own one.
There are teens on this forum saving up to buy one with savings from summer jobs.
No one will be impressed by your rolex, no one will care about your rolex, and no one will correlate wealth/success with your rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 12:15 PM   #3876
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Retired Mustang US Naval Officer - nuclear submariner by trade.

Former contracting consultant in the DoE Weapons Labs, now a DoD federal manager.

Will be 62 this year, and beginning to think about retirement. I like to work.

Oh, and the watch is a submariner, of course. 14060M
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 12:49 PM   #3877
ManlyJewelry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1984 View Post
Its a Rolex.
Many people can afford one. Not a big deal to own one.
There are teens on this forum saving up to buy one with savings from summer jobs.
Sounds like we are making the same point here sir, as in who cares what someone does for a living or had to do in order to buy a Rolex?

Quote:
No one will be impressed by your rolex, no one will care about your rolex
No one? Really no one? That's disappointing.
ManlyJewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 12:59 PM   #3878
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Its a Rolex.
No one will be impressed by your rolex, no one will care about your rolex, and no one will correlate wealth/success with your rolex
I don't know why you're so grumpy, but there's plenty of evidence on this forum along to dispute everything you've said.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 01:04 PM   #3879
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I don't care about any status!
I'm a Prince of Maine and King of New England

Have fun with your Rolex watches. Great toys for Big Boys/ Girls !!!
DJ TT 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 01:23 PM   #3880
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
49 Fed LE, soon to retire
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 03:34 PM   #3881
txstats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TT 2002 View Post
I don't care about any status!
I'm a Prince of Maine and King of New England

Have fun with your Rolex watches. Great toys for Big Boys/ Girls !!!
I need a new toy!
txstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2016, 10:38 AM   #3882
yukosaturno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
all right then,i made little changes,so here's an update..

made some good deals buying and selling watches and got a (MINT) 16622 yachtmaster......

i'll probably post some photos next weekend....
yukosaturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 08:31 AM   #3883
jtv621
"TRF" Member

I am 39, marketing management in the Power generation & manufacturing industry. I own an Explorer I (214270) and a DJ blue dial, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet (116234).
jtv621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 09:20 AM   #3884
Ezekiel33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Y Series SD
Field supervisor in the building trades, on my third SD and probably won't ever own anything else. I would love to have my 1665 great white back.
Ezekiel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 09:31 AM   #3885
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should have been more specific. Aerospace engineer with NASA for 32 years. Retired three years ago and celebrated by getting myself a Breitling Navi 01. Started my own consulting company. Paid off the mortgage and celebrated by getting myself an Omega SM300 MC. Just turned 60 and celebrated by getting myself the BLNR.

Nonsense. You can celebrate by buying watches for your 61, 62nd, 63rd and so on........
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 11:30 AM   #3886
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Icon14 60

Quote:

Congrats on hitting the milestones, I plan/hope to do the same by 60- pay off the home, consult in my same field, and for god sakes buy a few more nice watches to commemorate newly created milestones...

Al
Old 13 March 2016, 12:08 PM   #3887
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Geez, dude . . . really?
El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 02:07 PM   #3888
AllAboutMe
"TRF" Member

Hi all- automotive consulting, West Coast. SS Daytona Black 116520.
AllAboutMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 09:10 PM   #3889
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
For a living I 'splain how these work:

and I currently have these Rolex:

and a Tudor to round things off.....

Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 12:38 AM   #3890
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
I understand completely. ..
love that Tudor. ...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 12:45 AM   #3891
NeedlessKane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1991 14060 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
For a living I 'splain how these work:

and I currently have these Rolex:

Love your 14060 and 5513!

1992 Omega Speedmaster Pro
NeedlessKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 08:11 AM   #3892
prash
"TRF" Member

Just turned 26 last week and a pharmacist, and just bought myself a black dial GMT master II and my dad a black dial DJII 36mm
prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 09:35 AM   #3893
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16623
I'm 41, feel like I'm still 25.
My title is Logistics Manager. I work for a large food wholesale company. We supply about 2500 convenience stores as well as a fair amount of food service, including around 450 Subway sandwich restaurants.
While Logistics Manager is my title, I also manage our service department which maintains coffee equipment, coolers and freezers for many of our customers, and I am the IT Admin for our warehouse management software and general go to guy for all computer issues and Excel help for Operations Management.
I absolutely love my job. I do so many different things that every day is different and it never gets boring.

My current watch collection is:

Rolex Yachtmaster (bought with a ladies matching version for my wife)
Citizen Grand Touring Sport (automatic)
Citizen Skyhawk A/T (titanium)
Oakley Minute Machine (titanium)

beancooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 12:15 PM   #3894
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I don't usually post until I've read the entire thread... 130 pages, nine days off and on, a lot of hard working folks at TRF.

Defense contractor (currently for the USAF in the GCC).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 05:59 PM   #3895
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
im 44 years old from Australia
Safety manager for highrise construction(originally from oil and gas) all over Asia, based in Kuala Lumpur right now.
Ive had the bug for years and seem to get bored quickly with most my watches and tend to sell them off... except my Rolex's.. those i keep and never get bored wiith
-Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller 116660(on a rubber B now)
-Rolex Submariner 114060 (daily)
-Rolex Explorer 2 Polar 216570
others:
-Breitling for Bentley 6.75
-Omega Planet Ocean chrono
-Tag Carerra "day date"
-Sinn U1
-Ball Hydrocarbon Engineer Spacemaster Orbital II

not enough wrists in the week to share them around so the Submariner seems to dominate as my daily
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 10:11 PM   #3896
truep287
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Gastroenterologist with an Explorer II 16570 black dial who is jealous of all the retired people on this string!
truep287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 11:29 PM   #3897
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
cnc machinist, 29yo. Don't make a ton of money but I'm very good with my saving and spending habits. Told myself if I'm buying a sub for my 30th coming up that I'd have to do it while leaving 20g in my account after the purchase. Never really gotten any handouts in life I've just been working full time jobs since I was 14 and now everything is starting to line up for me. Sold lots of things around the house I didn't need on Ebay including mainly my vintage video game collection. The thing is that anybody can afford a Rolex if they really really want to own one. I just made sure to do it while having all my other important bases covered at the same time. I didn't buy it to show off, I bought it because it's gorgeous and as a machinist I appreciate the detail and crafstmanship of these watches :) Plus I've always wanted one since I was a little kid.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 12:53 AM   #3898
Ewellblue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
40 years young
Firefighter in London
Just bought my first Rolex as a present to me
BLNR
Ewellblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 02:42 PM   #3899
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Im a police officer in California and I currently own a no date sub and a BLNR.
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 03:04 PM   #3900
Cicero Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR Jubilee
I am a 50 year old commercial manager working for a heavy equipment manufacturer. I've owned Rolexes since 2004, and I currently have a Sea Dweller and a GMT II BLNR.
Cicero Jones is offline   Reply With Quote