The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 July 2018, 11:04 AM   #1
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Regarding the 14060, it possible to . . .

. . . regulate a 5 digit sub to current -2/+2 COSC standards?

Thinking of buying a random serial number 14060 but I'd like to have it regulated to tighter specs than -4/+6.

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Deanwillie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cascarrabias View Post

Thinking of buying a random serial number 14060 but I'd like to have it regulated to tighter specs than -4/+6.
can you not get the serial number?
Deanwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have my 4-digit Submariner regulated to +15-30s/month.

This is possible if you have very regular wearing patterns. If I rest it in a specific position during night I get the lower number. Note that you might have to go back a couple of times to your watch maker to make the final adjustments!
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 09:24 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Lets get thing perfectly straight Rolex still testes the bare uncased movement to the COSC spec which is a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds in any 24 hour period to get the COSC certification.And while testing in the first ten days of test the movement could deviate by up to 10 second on any single day and still pass the COSC test.After test movements are shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds Rolex has there own machine at COSC because of the vast amount of there movements tested. After being stored at Rolex HQ for weeks,, months or even a year they are match to a case.Then they are timed again on a machine in there case to this -2+2 spec which has nothing to do with the COSC.And just because its been regulated on a machine do not mean it will perform 100% exactly on the wrist every single day for life.

On the wrist there are just too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will perform to -2+2 every single day.On the wrist things like the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring-power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,daily shocks on the wrist,wearing habits and so on.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times,since a day has 86,400 seconds.So for any mechanical watch to perform to within a few seconds a day is truly mechanical marvel, and I am sure that 2 seconds difference either way will have no impact on any persons life unless extremity OCD.

Below picture COSC test use the first column thats movement of Rolex size.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:46 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Yes it is possible to regulate it like that. The 3135 is super easy to regulate very precisely with the microstella.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:05 AM   #6
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
lifes to short to worry about a second here or a second there ,,,
if time to that accuracy is important ,, use your phone
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:41 AM   #7
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Lets get thing perfectly straight Rolex still testes the bare uncased movement to the COSC spec which is a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds in any 24 hour period to get the COSC certification.And while testing in the first ten days of test the movement could deviate by up to 10 second on any single day and still pass the COSC test.After test movements are shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds Rolex has there own machine at COSC because of the vast amount of there movements tested. After being stored at Rolex HQ for weeks,, months or even a year they are match to a case.Then they are timed again on a machine in there case to this -2+2 spec which has nothing to do with the COSC.And just because its been regulated on a machine do not mean it will perform 100% exactly on the wrist every single day for life.

On the wrist there are just too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will perform to -2+2 every single day.On the wrist things like the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring-power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,daily shocks on the wrist,wearing habits and so on.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times,since a day has 86,400 seconds.So for any mechanical watch to perform to within a few seconds a day is truly mechanical marvel, and I am sure that 2 seconds difference either way will have no impact on any persons life unless extremity OCD.
Peter, your knowledge is astounding! However, it does impact my my pleasure owning a Rolex even though I'm not OCD. Your explanation seems to partially answer my question.

Once cased, if the movement doesn't meet the -2/+2 average it seems Rolex must regulate it so that it does. My question is can the 14060 movement be so regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Yes it is possible to regulate it like that. The 3135 is super easy to regulate very precisely with the microstella.
Thanks, Bas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
lifes to short to worry about a second here or a second there ,,,
if time to that accuracy is important ,, use your phone
Actually, life is to short not to enjoy my watch the way I want to.

And it's not accurate timing that is important, rather an accurate Rolex that is important.

Old 19 July 2018, 04:03 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Once cased, if the movement doesn't meet the -2/+2 average it seems Rolex must regulate it so that it does. My question is can the 14060 movement be so regulated.
Yes, just a matter of taking the case back off, checking how it runs and then regulate it by turning the small screws on the balance wheel with the microstella tool.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:41 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Peter, your knowledge is astounding! However, it does impact my my pleasure owning a Rolex even though I'm not OCD. Your explanation seems to partially answer my question.

Thanks, Bas.

Actually, life is to short not to enjoy my watch the way I want to.

And it's not accurate timing that is important, rather an accurate Rolex that is important.

Many movements today can be regulated on a machine to the -2+2 spec even Chinese made movements like the Seagull ST19 cost of movement just $60.But seeing the ST 19 is not a chronometer movement will need regulating more to keep it there.But take your cal 3000 in your 14060 if you have the later after 2000 it will be 14060M with the cal 3130.But again on a machine it could be regulated to average -2+2 but on the wrist in everyday use could differ slightly.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:50 AM   #10
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
. . . But again on a machine it could be regulated to average -2+2 but on the wrist in everyday use could differ slightly.

Old 20 July 2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

Rolex, in the past, never said that they regulated their watches to -4/+6, that is the criteria for a COSC test - not Rolexes out-the-door spec.

Their recent proclamation that "Superlative Chronometer" means -2/+2 came out without a real change to the movements at all. They are still tested at COSC to meet the -4/+6 chronometer spec., that has not changed.

They (hi-beat movements) have almost always been capable of better than COSC..
Old 26 July 2018, 11:25 PM   #12
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
My non-COSC 14060M runs at less than 1 spd after service at Rolex Canada. It can be adjusted very precisely.

Old 14 August 2018, 05:56 AM   #13
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I wear my 14060M every day and it makes stable +2s/day few months already.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicon View Post
I wear my 14060M every day and it makes stable +2s/day few months already.
My 4liner COSC runs at right at +/- .5-1 second a day. This is naturally after Rik serviced it.

But they are Superlative Chronometers, so the accuracy is there.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 09:28 AM   #15
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
As per previous posts a serviced Rolex movement is notoriously precise and can be adjusted to better than +/-2sec/day.

Since it’s last service my 14060 (K) is now giving me better than +1 when worn about 8 hours a day and if I leave it 12 down from 4.30pm to 7.00am it returns to about 0.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote