The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #3061
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Thank you!
Left them at the office, will snap a pic when I am back in

Sad to say I Don’t know? Tried them on and the fit was right, I didn't ask questions

Also picked up a pair of Brunello Cucinelli boots...still having issues posting pics since the new trf image limits, please pardon the terrible pic

When you post them we will know.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 02:09 PM   #3062
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
When you post them we will know.
I am an instant fan of the Lobbs and afraid I will begin to neglect my Alden's. :)

Brunello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (107.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 20 July 2018, 02:13 PM   #3063
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am an instant fan of the Lobbs and afraid I will begin to neglect my Alden's. :)

Brunello

Very nice, and yes in my opinion much more interesting than anything Alden Offers.

Viberg

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 July 2018, 02:48 PM   #3064
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice, and yes in my opinion much more interesting than anything Alden Offers.

Viberg

I remember trying the Viberg on but the fit was a bit narrow for me.

I mistakenly was under the impression the English boots would be cut narrow... I have been pleasantly surprised and as a result will be considering some others in the future... I expect to be reading through this thread with renewed interest paying special attention to your recommendations.

An issue I often have is my right foot begins to scream in 5 minutes of a bad fit, it feels like I am walking on a knife on its edge. Mycordovan aldens had a long break in period before they became tolerable. No previous injuries just one of those things?
Old 20 July 2018, 02:56 PM   #3065
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I mistakenly was under the impression the English boots would be cut narrow... I have been pleasantly surprised and as a result will be considering some others in the future... I expect to be reading through this thread with renewed interest paying special attention to your recommendations.

Don't give up yet there's just too many good things your simply writing off. I would highly recommend you take a look at Styleforum if you haven't yet. They have an appreciation thread for most of the shoemakers I would ever recommend and they might just have sizing guidance that might just be closer to what your looking for. The one thing I would advise you to not to do however would be to size up thinking you'll somehow get a better fit. Rarely does that ever work. When the ball of your foot doesn't end up at the widest part of the shoe or boot the fit will never be quite right.

That breakin thing with Alden just doesn't sound right at all.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 July 2018, 03:01 PM   #3066
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

An issue I often have is my right foot begins to scream in 5 minutes of a bad fit, it feels like I am walking on a knife on its edge. Mycordovan aldens had a long break in period before they became tolerable. No previous injuries just one of those things?

Also keep in mind shoemakers typically have more than one Last. Viberg has more than one Last and if I remember correctly they have one or two that looked a bit wider than the 2030 that the Service Boot typically uses.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 July 2018, 03:15 PM   #3067
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't give up yet there's just too many good things your simply writing off. I would highly recommend you take a look at Styleforum if you haven't yet. They have an appreciation thread for most of the shoemakers I would ever recommend and they might just have sizing guidance that might just be closer to what your looking for. The one thing I would advise you to not to do however would be to size up thinking you'll somehow get a better fit. Rarely does that ever work. When the ball of your foot doesn't end up at the widest part of the shoe or boot the fit will never be quite right.

That breakin thing with Alden just doesn't sound right at all.
All good advice I will have a look at style forum.

I have been trying to resolve fit issues for as long as I can remember, even purchased my own ~branock device in my quest.
Old 20 July 2018, 03:23 PM   #3068
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have been trying to resolve fit issues for as long as I can remember, even purchased my own ~branock device in my quest.
You can't, you just simply can't substitute trying something on in person with stabbing at it in the dark. However if you can establish your fit in a few known Lasts and find others with the same fit you stand a chance getting lucky when ordering via the internet. There's tons of this type of advice on Styleforum but I've never gone with just one persons but many persons advice to include professionals who sell these shoes. Personally I have a medium width foot and I'm pretty sure this makes it less challenging for me. Sounds like your situation will always be more challenging than mine was. Generally you'll find those with wider or narrow feet having more issues attempting to get a better fit.

Good luck

Oh. and there are a few narrow and wider feet threads as well on Styleforum and one of these may also be helpful for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 July 2018, 07:55 PM   #3069
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Quote:
You can't, you just simply can't substitute trying something on in person with stabbing at it in the dark. However if you can establish your fit in a few known Lasts and find others with the same fit you stand a chance getting lucky when ordering via the internet. There's tons of this type of advice on Styleforum but I've never gone with just one persons but many persons advice to include professionals who sell these shoes. Personally I have a medium width foot and I'm pretty sure this makes it less challenging for me. Sounds like your situation will always be more challenging than mine was. Generally you'll find those with wider or narrow feet having more issues attempting to get a better fit.

Good luck

Oh. and there are a few narrow and wider feet threads as well on Styleforum and one of these may also be helpful for you.
Agree. I wear different sizes in some different John Lobb lasts. The only maker that fits me well across all lasts is G&G. The body of their lasts are the same, they change the toe box for different styles. I can't get anything from Edward Greene to fit.

You really have to sit down with a lot of shoes and find what fits experimentally. Boutiques and trunk shows are the way to go, unless you have the time and patience to work through the internet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:14 PM   #3070
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Agree. I wear different sizes in some different John Lobb lasts. The only maker that fits me well across all lasts is G&G. The body of their lasts are the same, they change the toe box for different styles. I can't get anything from Edward Greene to fit.

You really have to sit down with a lot of shoes and find what fits experimentally. Boutiques and trunk shows are the way to go, unless you have the time and patience to work through the internet.
I've been able to get a number of Lasts from Edward Green, Gaziano and Girling, and one from John Lobb to work for me. Part of the reason I steered clear from John Lobb is more people where complaining about fit and there really wasn't a big following of John Lobb on Styleforum at the time. Heck I actually started that thread after purchasing my one pair of John Lobbs.

Some shoes fit better than others but the others aren't ill fitting. I did a great majority from research of the internet and some in person. The ones in person helped me to compare with numerous peoples experiences and with the help of Men Shoe retailers what would work for me. Having a medium width foot I was extremely lucky. The styles and shoes were just too pleasing for me not to attempt to try. My access to trying on all these various shoes in person were extremely limited and since shoe after shoe it worked this method never dissuaded me. So I was able to build on a few known Lasts from AE or Alden which where accessible initially and then a few from Edward Green and I tried those on when I got the chance. I could translate the 82 to the 888 and so on by what many others described. I took that and translated them to the Gaziano & Girling Lasts based on what the others on Styleforum where finding. Oh, and the folks at Skoaktie Bolaget who had the best prices in the world for these brands also providing guidance which coincided with my research. By the way Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling are the best fitting Lasts for me. Works fabulously because those are the styles I like best as well and that retailer had the best prices. Heck that was the go to place for Group MTOs which they still did at the time. With a large enough group of people you didn't have to pay the MTO fee.

There were a number of people on the internet who often had wider or narrower feet who seemed to struggle more. They often sold a number of their shoes once the discovered the fit was not ideal. Often they even tried to size up to accommodate their wider foot and sometimes sold their shoes in batches after making their discovery.

The internet is not ideal but sometimes for people like me who have less access it might work.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 July 2018, 11:21 PM   #3071
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I've been able to get a number of Lasts from Edward Green, Gaziano and Girling, and one from John Lobb to work for me. Part of the reason I steered clear from John Lobb is more people where complaining about fit and there really wasn't a big following of John Lobb on Styleforum at the time. Heck I actually started that thread after purchasing my one pair of John Lobbs.

Some shoes fit better than others but the others aren't ill fitting. I did a great majority from research of the internet and some in person. The ones in person helped me to compare with numerous peoples experiences and with the help of Men Shoe retailers what would work for me. Having a medium width foot I was extremely lucky. The styles and shoes were just too pleasing for me not to attempt to try. My access to trying on all these various shoes in person were extremely limited and since shoe after shoe it worked this method never dissuaded me. So I was able to build on a few known Lasts from AE or Alden which where accessible initially and then a few from Edward Green and I tried those on when I got the chance. I could translate the 82 to the 888 and so on by what many others described. I took that and translated them to the Gaziano & Girling Lasts based on what the others on Styleforum where finding. Oh, and the folks at Skoaktie Bolaget who had the best prices in the world for these brands also providing guidance which coincided with my research. By the way Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling are the best fitting Lasts for me. Works fabulously because those are the styles I like best as well and that retailer had the best prices. Heck that was the go to place for Group MTOs which they still did at the time. With a large enough group of people you didn't have to pay the MTO fee.

There were a number of people on the internet who often had wider or narrower feet who seemed to struggle more. They often sold a number of their shoes once the discovered the fit was not ideal. Often they even tried to size up to accommodate their wider foot and sometimes sold their shoes in batches after making their discovery.

The internet is not ideal but sometimes for people like me who have less access it might work.
The ill fit for me with EG is instep. If that fits, the heel doesn’t.
Old 20 July 2018, 11:35 PM   #3072
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The ill fit for me with EG is instep. If that fits, the heel doesn’t.
I had more problems with AE and Crockett and Jones. With one exception I stayed away from Vass. Vass is notorious for being extremely difficult when it comes to fit. In fact if you actually got a good fit the first time in one size the next time it might be different. I didn't know this until after get my one pair but never ventured back besides I was won over by Edward Green by then. Vass looked interesting initially but not so much later and besides that fit thing just wasn't appealing to me. I didn't want to have to continually sell shoes I couldn't wear.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 12:04 AM   #3073
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Without stating which shoemaker if I looked carefully enough I could tell which shoemaker made them. Regardless you can always spot a good quality shoe or boot. Details matter and the better they are the better they age. Good show!!
The advice about C&J I got from this thread was the reason I bought those two pairs of boots. They are leagues beyond anything I had worn in the past. I love them and get compliments on a somewhat regular basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Thanks Syed. Think I will grab a couple pairs. They actually look like something I can golf in when it is hot, especially the tree runners.
A pair to try can't hurt. Plus I think they are pretty good about returns if you don't like them. I plan on getting a pair of the tree loungers in grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I’ve been meaning to try out the Allbirds, though I can’t imagine anything being more comfortable than the Ultraboosts.
I have an unfortunate closet filled with about 10 pairs of assorted boosts including a few UB. It's strange, but I do personally think the flexible nature of the allbirds sole makes them compare well to the UB. They don't have as much bounce as a boost sole, but the upper is more stretchy and that is a pro since the UB a bit snug for my somewhat wide feet.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 12:24 AM   #3074
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
The advice about C&J I got from this thread was the reason I bought those two pairs of boots. They are leagues beyond anything I had worn in the past. I love them and get compliments on a somewhat regular basis

A pair to try can't hurt. Plus I think they are pretty good about returns if you don't like them. I plan on getting a pair of the tree loungers in grey.

I have an unfortunate closet filled with about 10 pairs of assorted boosts including a few UB. It's strange, but I do personally think the flexible nature of the allbirds sole makes them compare well to the UB. They don't have as much bounce as a boost sole, but the upper is more stretchy and that is a pro since the UB a bit snug for my somewhat wide feet.
I had the same feeling when I got my first pair of C&Js. They were simply just better than anything from AE or Alden. Its not that they'll last any longer but they put more effort into how their product looks and it shows. C&J has two lines of shoes Hand Grade and the other (forget now). Hand Grade being the best. They also make shoes for Brooks Brothers under Brooks Brothers brand name Peal and Co. The Peal and Co brand are not their best shoes either. However I still would rather have one of their Peal and Co shoes than most from Alden.

I think when it comes to Mid Tier my favorite would be C&J and Enzo Bonafe. Vass is just to difficult but I've never tried any from Enzo Bonafe. Just wasn't a thing when I was buying shoes. Their Last shapes from the look of it though may just not work for me.

Now if you ever decide to venture into upper tier and you like the details you see now from C&J you'll understand the difference there as well. It just depends on what level of detail your looking for and how much your willing to pay for it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 12:47 AM   #3075
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Heck I actually started that thread after purchasing my one pair of John Lobbs.
I just went to check and saw that it was your SN that started the JL thread. I'm probably one of the more active posters in the JL thread over there now. JL is my preferred brand of dress shoes.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 12:55 AM   #3076
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I just went to check and saw that it was your SN that started the JL thread. I'm probably one of the more active posters in the JL thread over there now. JL is my preferred brand of dress shoes.

I just thought it extremely odd that there wasn't a thread for JL at the time. Here was this Styleforum and people interested about shoes and no thread for JL. I was never that active in that thread however because my interest lies elsewhere.

I think the one I'm more proud about though is the boot boot boot thread thing. I still get tons of email notices about that one and I really like my boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 01:02 AM   #3077
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post

Actually it's kind of funny when I think about it. This thread in particular. I started a thread here on dress shoes before this one. Maybe someone else even before me. But somehow this is the thread that survived.

In fact I just started what I think is another good thread on another forum. It's a different interest which is banned here but I think it really has great potential. I just can't understand why people fail to be able to express certain things especially when it comes to those things they are passionate the most about. Short little fan boy answers no longer work for me. I can certainly explain why good footwear appeals to me. After looking and failibng to find certain details I was able to get some people to answer some of my questions. Not only that but they are really providing me with some valuable feedback. Expanding my knowledge in a very short period of time. Anyway I am having fun.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 02:34 AM   #3078
MinMay
Banned

I roll with my cheap $99 desert boot

MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 02:43 AM   #3079
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post

Personally I opt for things that are more visually appealing and that actually last and are made of better leather which ages gracefully.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 02:53 AM   #3080
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So even if they aren't stunning I still opt for better made footwear. Quality basically and this translate to me having a better day because I am wearing a better shoe or boot. Cheap stuff tends not to be all that pleasant of an experience or to wear when one compares to a well built shoe or boot. But hey we all determine what means most to us.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 02:56 AM   #3081
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Style sometimes actually does translate to substance. I guess part of the equation is that I grew up at a time when parents still took their children to shoe stores and not bargain bins and bought their kids a good pair of shoes. Generations past quality goods were still being made in the USA and elsewhere. Walmart wasn't king and plastic was cheap and undesirable. Goods were quality and made to last.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 03:17 AM   #3082
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
If you don't mind I'm going to broaden your horizons just a bit. Style wise if your willing to pay more Viberg would be the way to go in my opinion, however that would cost about twice as much. Truman would be a bit less but they offer the same style and in some very interesting leathers.

Now if those two are bit more than what you are willing to pay Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers make some very nice boots for not much more than what you are talking about spending. Been awhile since I've looked but I don't think we are talking much more. Personally I would choose Rancourt as they actually make their boots and Oakstreet Bootmakers does not.

At the level your talking there is also Wolverine 1K boots but the leather on those generally aren't anywhere as nice as the leather you get with Red Wings. Frankly between AE and Redwings your talking a much tougherboot with Redwing. However with Redwing it's good to know that the breakin period for most folks can be a bit longer and to some extent even painful. However after broke in they are extremely comfortable and a real great boot.

Leather sole vs rubber sole I personally would always go with a rubber sole on this type of boot. In fact I went with Redwing Beckmans instead of Iron Rangers just because of this. However style wise Iron Rangers are better looking and the rubber sole is something you can always add after getting them. Personally for this style I would choose Redwing over AE all day long and twice on Sundays.

The other thing I would consider besides fit is what type of eyelets whether eyelets or hooks. On this type of boot hooks are generally easier. Iron Rangers and some others I mentioned have hooks but the Beckmans do not.

Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the Rancourt. I have a pair of wolverines that I use in the yard and they are awesome and tough as nails. Don’t know why I never thought of them for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 03:19 AM   #3083
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the Rancourt. I have a pair of wolverines that I use in the yard and they are awesome and tough as nails. Don’t know why I never thought of them for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's not truly what they are known for and they just not to recently started making boots.

Good Luck.

By the way the 1k Wolverines I have are kind of my boot slippers. I use them frequently because they are easy on easy off but I have much better boots.

I also don't personally own any Rancourt boots but I have a number of their shoes and trust their boots to be of equal quality.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 July 2018, 05:05 AM   #3084
subtona
"TRF" Member

Lobb x2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (135.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9074.JPG (131.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 21 July 2018, 06:02 AM   #3085
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lobb x2

Wow. Nice! Great colors.

These are RTW, not bespoke, correct?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 06:03 AM   #3086
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Lobb x2
Nice!
Old 21 July 2018, 06:10 AM   #3087
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
New addition, classic Dovers from EG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 06:19 AM   #3088
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Lobb x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Very nice, gents
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 01:47 PM   #3089
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Lobb x2
Nice. Double monk looks like one of the St Crepin models. I can't remember which year that was, maybe 2015 or 2016.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 02:27 PM   #3090
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice. Congrats!!

No that's some good old fashion Pig Bristle Handsewn Apron goodness. That's an EG ICON there.

All you need are some of the same in a boot. Either EG Nevis or G&G Thorpes!!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons